Supporters Trust Chairman has resigned

Just had a text message from a friend to say that Phil Sumbler has resigned as Trust chairman!

Apparently a statement is being issued tonight.  

Wonder what the heck that is all about?

Comments

• Sad.
    Proper J.B.
    Decent human being,very approachable,and a great ambassador for Jacks.
    That's 4 resignations since the last election,troubling times for the Trust.
  • Powerful statement from Phil, who can rightly hold his head high .

One or two of us condemned the way the trust dealt with this latest issue of the share sale to the fund managers now running our club: it was and is a bad deal long term . I also said i doubted very much if the sale would actually go through. clearly it seems to be the case.

It really is time for everybody who calls themselves a fan , wakes up and smells the coffee. slowly but surely our club is being stripped of its very soul. and if long term loyal servants of the calibre of Phil are throwing the towel in, its sad to say the bad guys are winning. 

To the Trust, you need to make a stand against the forces of self interest , once you do, you will find  thousands of loyal SWANS fans stand shoulder to shoulder with you , as we did in the Petty days. in some ways these days are worse than those, these days we sit at the top table with the European elite,we have earned the right to be here, little Swansea . our former players and managers have brought us here. you know the ones i am talking about. we really should not be struggling  so soon, its sheer incompitance
    now a few greedy individuals are going to ensure their pockets are filled what ever the cost. that cost will be the demise of our great club. in my humble opinion  

i hope i am wrong , but 

dont say you did not know!
  • If the deal doesn't go through then it may be the blessing in disguise that the trust needs. This is a bold statement from Phil and now the trust should be bold in its decision making from here on in.
  • A very sad day for the Trust

A very sad day for Swansea City Football Club.

Many thanks to Phil for his great work over the last few years.

So it looks like the rumours of the owners not adhering to what was proposed to the Trust before the vote were true after all, yet seemingly most of the Trust Board are prepared to go along with it.

There is only one cause for all this s**t of course - it's all down to the manner in which the club was sold by the old board. If it was done differently we would not be where we are now with all this turmoil.Thanks again for that boys. 

The Americans will have a wry smile on their faces tonight.

cimlajack
  • Sorry, try this;

Wakey Wakey!
  • This is not going to end well.

A club run by fans for the fans is no more.
  • Jeff you have expressed my views precisely.Mr Sumbler indicates that something very wrong is happening in the current discussions over the purchase of Trust shares by the other Shareholders.

As a Trust Member who voted to accept the offer I have to say that I am very concered that the terms are being adjusted.If good faith is being lost I would expect the Trust to tell us the facts and  walk away from such a deal

On balance given the despicable bad faith shown  to the Trust by those involved in the earlier sale of shares to the now majority shareholders ,can  we really trust that they would not show the same behaviour now

I know who I would trust and it certainly would be Mr Sumbler before the crew on the other side of the table.

It is very sad that PS feels unable to continue,hopefully his remaining colleagues on the Trust Board are strong enough to stand their ground when necessary.

• The Trust has now also issued a statement...

https://www.swanstrust.co.uk/2017/11/14/announcement-from-swans-trust/

Seems like a few of the Trust Board have left recently too  :o
  • Matt left last weekend, for similar reasons to Phil.

Duncan left for personal reasons - not enough time according to Matt.

I hadn't got around to renewing my Trust Membership this season. And as it stands I don't think I will be, either.
  • I didn't renew mine and voted not to except the offer, I am hardly surprised by this turn of events. It only adds to my disillusion with the club I have supported over 40 years!
  • Credit is due to Mr Sumbler for his hard work over 11 years. The value of the Trust has rocketed over that period without any new investment.   The Trust is at a pivotal point and needs to crystalize its objectives. a) Try to influence the club by holding a significant share holding to avoid any future disaster or b)   accumulate cash to be able to help the club after disaster has happened.  I would think b) is the better option but this basic choice is perhaps the crux of the issue. If the U.S. guys back track on the purchase nothing has changed the Trust retains 21%. If the U.S. guys pump in money for the stadium alone then the Trusts holding will dilute. This is not a problem and has been happening with Kenwright at Everton. If the club continues to be sucessful then their holding will increase in value. The Trust should press for profits and dividend payments in that case. 
  • MR Stumbler is going to be a  massive miss in the near and distant future,I would like to thank him for the hard work he has done to date and wish him and his family well for the future.
    His statement worries me greatly tho as to the change in direction the trust board  seems to have taken, there is some thing really wrong when a guy like Mr Stumbler does what he has done mid season and for me the members deserve to know, this trust is for the fans so BE HONEST AND LET US KNOW the truth
    bigoakMark_Jack_London
  • Pointy you are an odd fish after all your previous odious utterings you feel qualified to talk about the Trust and what’s best for it and the fans?
    deejayenaitchbigoak
  • Ponty, the Americans are not going to pump money in, period (pun intended), why would we want them too, live within your means has always been part of the Swansea ethos, with a surplus of anything between £20 or £30m from last summer, I'd rather we used that for signings, the stadium is a lease but if they were to build that money could come in the form of a mortgage with support of the Football Foundation and other bodies. Sustainable growth is what we've always done as a club.

This is a sad day for the Trust as Phil was a good leader and an excellent public speaker who got the points of the Trust over well, he probably put countless hours in on the American deal alone and should be commended for that, 11 years is a long time, enjoy your family time, thank you Phil
  • have just emailed the trust as am a member asking if any change to the deal we were asked to vote on and if so we should be informed and another vote taken, would ask ALL members to do the same
  • The Trust is in a great place. 21% of a Premier League football team. A team recognised all over the world by a cool badge and upto recently a cool playing style. The world it lives in has changed out of all recognition from the pre sale conditions where there were years of almost continuous success on the field. The summer that never ended. Now things are not so good.  Different people with different objectives are required and the objective must be to accumulate working capital and start growing again from there independently. 
  • No it is NOT is a good place. 

If it was in a good place it's Chairman of 11 years and another highly respected Board Member would not have resigned.

At present they have 21% of **** all until the money is in the bank.
  • Ponty , yet further drivill, the Trust , whilst holding 21% is in a much more powerful position than should the sale of  half those shares go thru. its a thorn in the said eof the fund  Thanks to you idol and the new owners  our club is now an also ran  a joke in some quarters.  I do hope all Trust members look at the resignation of some good guys from the board and say enough!  Trust now has a duty to tell its members to tell them what is going on and if the sale was as advertised. to the experienced eye, its obvious the owners are playing games .
    once the trust shares are sold make no mistake  it will be history and the fact its an active body  it will stop a simular set up in other words everything it built will be lost on the alter of ignorance
  • Pointy what guff you continually spout thankfully your a loan voice in a rising tide of discontent .
    Mark_Jack_London
  • Mark this is the same place it has been for 14 years. The mission statement of the Trust is to buy or hold not sell. Now relegatIon threatens there is a rush to sell and the Chairman resigns.  Selling has never been on the agenda before now. If they wanted to sell before they would have.  Selling = resignations. The facts suggest the leavers are against the sale. The changes at the top might be a good thing to get things moving. 
  • You are so full of crap, and make the story fit your agenda Ponty.

The Mission statement had aims. Just because you have aims, they are not binding in that you have to keep them no matter what.

It's primary aim is to maintain a professional football club in Swansea. That is the only one that is non-negotiable.

In order to do that, it has an aim to have a stake in the club, with an aim to increase that stake to achieve its main goal. 

But that all changed when it's ability to increase its holding was taken off the table when the like of Jenkins, Morgan and Dineen et al stopped Mel selling his full set of shared to the Trust. And was completely scuppered when they then sold up to the Americans not offering any, as per the Shareholders agreement, any shares to the Trust.

So in order to protect itself, and trying to keep all of its aims as much intact as possible, its Membership agreed to enter a deal with the new owners in good faith, to avoid unnecessary off-field distractions in what has been a very turbulent time on the pitch for the past 3 seasons.

Plus it would increase the capital the Trust has in case the sale to the Americans turns out to be a disaster, like in the Petty era.

• The Trust has always wanted to buy not sell. It has always  been reluctant to sell. You know it.  This strategy as outlined by the mission statement is unwise as I pointed out 2-3 years ago.  No great insight on my part but a massive oversight of the  members as relegation and 90% asset valuation slump beckons possibly never to return.  Hey ho live and learn.  If Bony bangs in the goals and Sanches finds the majic then the pressure is off  and holding the 21% might look shrewd, but I would still recommend hedging for a rainy day.  If Mr S is to be criticized his failure to promote selling  in the good times will be one issue worthy of examination. This was a high risk strategy and it is not looking a good one at present. 

• Just been catching up with things on planet Swans, and for those of you that have not seen the posts by Mr Stumbler and others on pages 9 and 10 i strongly  advise you to "have a look" very interesting and very worrying
  • I don't know Phil Sumbler personally but have 'known' him and 'spoken' to him by e mail and on forums since this forumn was started by Gary Martin when the talk of setting up a trust in the darks of Petty was first made

no one can doubt his commitment to the cause and I would like to add my thanks and appreciation for his tremendous efforts over many many years.

i am very concerned about what is happening now and there is a huge need for the owners to be absolutely open and honest with the fans about what is going on.

unfortunately there is a considerable amount of mistrust, (and rightly so) at the moment. There needs to be an urgent meeting with fans and we need to be told just what is going on.

the current atmosphere is poisonous and the boil needs lancing.

• Honest to god Potty please stop with this utter crap your beginning to look rather foolish re-writing history and facts to fit your twisted version of the truth. Please understand there is no salvation for LD MM HJ and co the truth is out there and the danger and instability they have placed our club in for their own selfish gain is beginning to bite ................. the next thing you will be spouting is that Jack to a King wasn't a fantasy film.
  • The Trust has always wanted to buy not sell. It has always  been reluctant to sell. You know it.  This strategy as outlined by the mission statement is unwise as I pointed out 2-3 years ago.  No great insight on my part but a massive oversight of the  members as relegation and 90% asset valuation slump beckons possibly never to return.  Hey ho live and learn.  If Bony bangs in the goals and Sanches finds the majic then the pressure is off  and holding the 21% might look shrewd, but I would still recommend hedging for a rainy day.  If Mr S is to be criticized his failure to promote selling  in the good times will be one issue worthy of examination. This was a high risk strategy and it is not looking a good one at present. 

I think you mean it was their preferred option but as the saying went, never say never and each deal had to be taken on its merit. This, of course, has been documented many times. 
    I have no idea who you are but you have always given the game away defending the sell-outs but your lack of knowledge of fundamental points can only lead me to believe you wasn't around in the early days.
    Mark_Jack_LondonDubDragon
  • I was on the terraces.  I did not follow the club off the field affairs then. Thankyou for clarifying the significant investments made by the old board and Trust. I had the cash in those days having sold a house. I regarded investment of £50,000 in 2001 -2002 as absolute madness at the time.  I see the vilification of these guys as bizarre and a poor reflection on the club as a whole.   One of the 'sell outs'  was a venture capitalist not a fan at all. The odd line "we have not said we would never sell under any circumstances"  tells an observer that selling was a very long way from their concerns. I wouldn't  have wasted  any time dealing with them.  Neither did the U.S. guys last time around. The Trust have said the sale is on course and discussions are over details. This is business and there will be no free lunch.  I suspect payment in instalments and suspension on relegation is the main issue but I am only guessing. 
  • I was on the terraces.  I did not follow the club off the field affairs then.

Ah that explains everything Pointy you didn't follow off the field affairs then and you fail to understand them now at least your consistent.

Many of us were on the terraces and pro-active in saving the club from the evil despot Petty, no money maybe but active all the same collecting money on the north bank, spreading the gospel of the Trust against a tide of apathy and hostility, raising money to pay players wages, auctions, raffles, bowling nights, raising money for equipment for the youth teams, producing the Vetch field box set giving fifty fifty profits to the Trust and club, helping keep the club afloat in those early days, asking nothing in return just happy to see the club successful and safe in the hands of local people with the best intentions of the club to heart. People who were friends and fellow Swans supporters all unified with a common aim and purpose proud to see just what a locally managed Swansea team could achieve showing ambition beyond the normal graveyard approach to be then suddenly betrayed and I use the word betrayed because betrayal is only something friends can do to one another.  

Shame on you for continuing to peddle your apologist misinformed clap trap and continually glorifying the shareholders while belittling the Trust its members, ordinary fans and their contribution to the rise and rise of our club. Learn the history of the Petty struggle or just shut up, shame on you
  • Blip - the old story that Jack to a King was a marketing ploy by the old board was demolished a long time ago. It was made by a respected independent film-maker who would commit professional suicide if he was found to have made a documentary under the circumstances alleged. I am not taking issue with the case you are making against the board, but that particular piece of evidence is bogus I’m afraid.