VAR farce

This spurs v Rochdale game must be the.night VAR is well and truly binned. It is ruining the beautiful game.

Comments

• I think it took 8 1/2 mins to sort the decisions out. I was all for it, but having seen it in action, I’d leave it to the refs 
  • Personally and because of some of the decisions we've had go against us, I'm all for it.
    It's going to take some time getting used to. Ironing out all the creases etc.
    Same happened with rugby. Even though they still have the odd issue, it's basically part of the game now and doesn't cause too much disruption.
    In a couple of years nobody will remember what all the fuss was about .
  • Have you watched rugby lately....it's hopeless now because refs in effect won't make any decisions without turning to the video ref, it's a joke
  • I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. The biggest waste of time and money ever in football  . Goal line technology is fantastic but VAR forget it.
  • I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. The biggest waste of time and money ever in football  . Goal line technology is fantastic but VAR forget it.
    I agree with this, goal line technology only

VAR will ruin the beautiful game. I've never been over critical of referee's as they are human and will make mistakes, I've reff'ed enough junior games to know that you'll never get every decision spot on.
    In an FA cup match once we had Keith Cooper reffing the game between ourselves and Cardiff City, anyone that knows football knows that Keith is a dyed in the wool bluebird, we won but he did book one of our players for over celebrating a goal.
  • I watch a lot of rugby and no it's not a joke. Yes there are occasions where it does break down (e.g. the England v Wales match). But on a whole it works well.
    Nobody like change, but it must happen.
    How many of our results would have been different if var was in effect?(e.g. Vokes handball in our penalty area and a penalty awarded.. I can guarantee 99% of swans fans were calling for it then!)
    Like I said. it will have it's teething problems to begin with. and there will always be the odd dubious decisions. 

• DubDragon said:
    I watch a lot of rugby and no it's not a joke. Yes there are occasions where it does break down (e.g. the England v Wales match). But on a whole it works well.
    Nobody like change, but it must happen.
    How many of our results would have been different if var was in effect?(e.g. Vokes handball in our penalty area and a penalty awarded.. I can guarantee 99% of swans fans were calling for it then!)
    Like I said. it will have it's teething problems to begin with. and there will always be the odd dubious decisions. 

I, too have watched rugby and the ref continues to draw an imaginary tiny screen for every decision, bores the pants off me
  • DubDragon we are not playing rugby. Football is the most popular sport in the world because of skill levels and it’s freeflowing. VAR will not continue . It’s a farce and will ruin our sport. End of.
  • That does happen usually on inportant try decisions yes I don't disagree with that. And quite rightly so imo.
    But during the game, play continues and the var ref is asked to look at it as play continues. If there is an infringement then it is called back, if not then play continues.
    That would have worked regarding the penalty decision last night.
    Like I say it doesn't disrupt the rugby game that much at all.
    And again, I'd rather the game called back and a right decision given. So much at stake.
    Re. Vokes handball. Could have cost us the game. Var would have taken 10 secs to see that was no penalty, and it's forgotten about because the Burnley fans were screaming for VAR on Llorentes push before his winning goal.
  • Human error. That’s what makes our game great. It will never work. Every sport that employs it is a stop start game. It won’t last long.
  • VAR is only successful if it goes in your favour.
  • If VAR would have been brought in at the start of the season in the Premier League, we’d be tenth now 
    DubDragonKeith
  • edited March 2018
    You can't use it when the decision is subjective. The disallowed goal last night- llorente and the defender both got hold of each other and I reckoned, no foul, goal is good. The VAR thought different, but if you asked 10 people they would all offer a different opinion. The refs opinion should be the most important but he was over ruled. A joke. The only possible use is for off side as that should be clear but but even then they have had massive issues. 

I like goal line technology and can just about stomach off side decisions by VAR but no way for anything else, ever. Football is fine as it is. Free flowing and simple. 
  • MarkG 

If you limit VAR as you suggest, then the Alli and Rashford dives against us which resulted in penalties would remain unchallenged. Surely you would want cheats to be held to account ?
  • I do, but the main point is, very few decisions are clear cut and I do not want to hang around waiting.  For Ali dives retro bans should be in place. 5 matches minimum.  
  • Mark

I hear what you're saying, but the problem with retrospective banning in those two examples, is that we suffer the loss of the penalties, and the next five teams playing Man Utd and Spurs would benefit from their suspensions.

Personally, I'm prepared to stick with VAR for now and iron out the problems. It's not rocket science and the powers that be should be able to sort it out pdq.
  • But spurs suffer for 5 matches so poch will have to say 'Ali fella stop effing cheating'
  • Plus football only game not many goals are scored so if you waiting for var it takes the celebrations away from the fans.
  • Good point marrio, the more Its used the less explosive that goal scoring joy becomes. Criminal to lose that out of our beautiful game. 
  • DubDragon we are not playing rugby. Football is the most popular sport in the world because of skill levels and it’s freeflowing. VAR will not continue . It’s a farce and will ruin 

Ffs... we're not playing rugby?? Really??? Dew well I never???

The subject is VAR and wether it works or not @Jackattack.

I used an example where I think it does work. Just 1 example. Along with both rugby codes Cricket uses it. Tennis uses it. Yes there are occasions where it has failed but on a whole has become part of the game.
    Fans and supporters didn't like it back then either, but accept it and doesn't alter the atmosphere at all if its used correctly.

Currently it's all new in football and will take time to straighten things out. But it will happen.
  • Dubdragon stick to egg chasing because you obviously know feck all about football. 
  • You sir are knob
    Did you get out of the 'let's just insult someone who has a different opinion to me' side of the bed this morning?
    We having a sensible adult debate on VAR and you have to resort to 12 yr old tactics.
    Lolololol nice one. You're so cool.
     :+1: 
    Alamo_Jack
  • I suggest you read you’re post to me first. You’re the fecking knob. 
  • Nothing wrong with my reading. Cheers.
  • Now Now children, take a 30 minute time out on the naughty step..
    Meanwhile, it seems clear to me that there has been a systemic advantage to the big teams in leaving things to the discretion of the referee. I have lost count of the number of bad decisions that the smaller teams get, particularly away from home, against the big boys.
    For that reason alone I am for anything that gets us to a fair and accurate call - as it will directly help clubs like ourselves B'Mouth Watford Brighton Huddersfield etc etc  Yes it needs to be made slicker and less intrusive - but I am sick to death of being shafted!!
    DubDragonAlamo_JackKeith
  • All cool here @Jackareme.

I agree with pretty much everything you say.
    I am sick n tired of blatant decisions going against us the majority of the time.
    I never said it is currently a perfect system and definitely needs a lot more work put into making it run smoother. 
    But what do I know?
    Apparently I don't know the difference between football and rugby. Lol
    Even CC has made his comments about it today and how it seems to be working in Portugal. He seems to know what he's talking about.
    I have also seen other managers champion it.
    Poch obviously didn't have too many good things to say about it tho lol.
    But I think it's more down to the ref association training and getting it right.
    The more it's used the better they will become in using it.
  • Scarlets v ospreys Dumdragon. Bet you can’t wait. 
    Jackareme
  • Well come on then everyone, should lamela's goal have stood or not? I say yes. 
  • MarkG

Spurs may well suffer without Alli for the next five games, but it doesn't alter the outcome of our match and our points total.

The big clubs, who generally gain advantage from the non VAR decisions, are more able to live with any retrospective actions due to the size and quality of their squads