Football betting site Betway

GLAM (or GLUM) ORGAN CRICKET

Reached an absolute zenith today.

This morning BBC Wales were setting up the match in Hove as the opportunity for the
County side to progress to the last eight in the T20 competition.

What happened?  Chasing 187 to win with the score at 54 runs for 2 wickets the Sky pundits
said the game was "in the mix".  Thereafter from 70 for 2 wickets they collapsed to 88 all out,
a historic (never to be surpassed) record of losing 8 wickets for 18 runs with almost 6 of the 20
overs left.

Having followed  this total disgrace of a side for a number of years expressing the opinion that
"they couldn't bat their eyelids" I feel more than embarrassed today to even talk about them.   

Comments

• What has happened to their overseas players ? Marsh, Kawaja, Burns- they all seem to have vanished.

If Ingram doesn't get going they are doomed in a T20 game, up against stronger teams reinforced with  one or two very good overseas recruits.

It's a bit like the Swans at the present time, penny pinching and an over reliance on promising youngsters who need the backing of experience to support them.

• Marsh returned home having suffered a shoulder injury and Khawaja left as planned at the end of his contract. Not sure about Burns
  • It would have been helpful had they recruited someone else to replace these three; a bowler capable of restricting the run flow would have been a priority in my eyes.

Hogan is now past it and with LaGrange out injured the bowling attack is weak to say the least.

• Whilst I totally respect Ingram as a player, I do question his captaincy skills.
    In many games he has brought Hogan and Wagg back to bowl the final overs,even though they were expensive in their earlier overs. This is despite having others who had bowled well earlier in the innings. This has undoubtedly cost us matches this season.
  • ld555

Marsh was the starter for all forms on a 2 year contract with Khawaja booked to line up for one day cricket.
    He was called away to join the Australia one day squad in June and was replaced by Khawaja when he was
    forced to return home in July with an injured knee ligament.
    Khawaja was brought in to replace Marsh in all forms but was then released to team up with the Australia A
    team for its visit to India (I think).

Burns replaced Marsh  for the T20 in July but only lasted a few games (2 played for 6 runs!) before injuring
    his back towards the end of the month against Somerset and returned home for treatment.

Not really a resounding success (as you say a bit like the Swans in the quality of recruitment)  but the main
    problems were the p*** poor batting and the inability to bowl tight at the end of an innings -  Two glaring
    examples in the last 2 games.  At Somerset on Sunday the home side scored 84 runs from the final 32 deliveries
    (virtually 14 an over!) and last night Sussex managed to get 96 runs from the last 8 overs with 23 coming from
    the final 13 deliveries -  all before the remarkable batting catastrophe that followed.

One way to find any sort of improvement would be to play more games in cities/towns other than Cardiff
    including St Helens.   
  • Totally agree with your last comment deejay.

When I was a teenager it was well worth buying a season ticket as there were 6 or 7 county championship games played at St Helens each season+ a  bank holiday tourist fixture.

• If it wasn’t for the balconiers kicking up a stink a few years back there would be no cricket at St Helens as Glam wanted all their games to be played at Sofia gardens after the redevelopment
  • ld555

When I was living in Swansea in my teens (late 50s to 60s !!!) I was a regular at St Helen and have many fond
    memories of seeing some fine players who would walk into the current team- Parkhouse,  Hedges, Shepherd,
    Peter Walker,  Majid Khan etc.

Not so fond memories of the likes of Gary Sobers when the Windies were here in the late 50s.  I used to collect
    autographs in those days and on the last day when the WI coach was about to leave I posted my autograph book
    through the window where Sobers was sitting.  He let it slip to the floor and the coach took off with him smiling.

You can guess I was not too delighted to be sitting a few years later on the terracing by The Cricketers when he
    hoiked Malcolm Nash for 6 sixes.

• The main problem is the coach Robert Croft. Glamorgan have done ok in the T20 but the are absolutely dreadful in the county championship and in the last game were out for 85 and 88. They have won 1 county championship game this year and are rock bottom. They also only won 1 one day cup match and finished bottom of that group.

Croft continues to tell everyone we have young players and it will take time but these are not new players they have been in the team for 3 years and are not improving. Their recent decent T20 performances can be largely contributed to having the most destructive batsman and a decent bowling attack made from abroad - Hogan, DeLange, VanDerGugten.

There is a bit of a jobs for the boys culture at the club aswell Croft, Morris, Maynard, Watkin, Shaw all played in the same team and now hold coaching and admin positions.

A root and branch review is required.

• deejay said:
    ld555

When I was living in Swansea in my teens (late 50s to 60s !!!) I was a regular at St Helen and have many fond
    memories of seeing some fine players who would walk into the current team- Parkhouse,  Hedges, Shepherd,
    Peter Walker,  Majid Khan etc.

Not so fond memories of the likes of Gary Sobers when the Windies were here in the late 50s.  I used to collect
    autographs in those days and on the last day when the WI coach was about to leave I posted my autograph book
    through the window where Sobers was sitting.  He let it slip to the floor and the coach took off with him smiling.

You can guess I was not too delighted to be sitting a few years later on the terracing by The Cricketers when he
    hoiked Malcolm Nash for 6 sixes.

Believe it or not, the afternoon when Sobers was in action I was just down the road ,at the Vetch. (at a reserves game I think ).I chose to not be at St Helens that afternoon as I think Glam were being hammered anyway by a Notts team, even before Sobers did his stuff.
  • Watched the game on a stream yesterday. The Sussex spinner was great - but what struck me was the inability of our batters to get in behind the ball when facing the quicks. The basics of technique and courage were badly lacking. You cannot give quick bowlers a look at all 3 stumps even in a T20.
  • Problem is when you’re chasing 10 an over proper cricket goes out of the window and you have to improvise. If Ingram fails we are buggered. Glammy have put all their eggs in the t2o basket this year. If we fail to get into the quarters the season will have been a disaster. Big blows with Marsh and De Lange both injured and Kheweja having to return home. A different approach had to be taken next season, to discard the championship is disgusting. It’s not fair to the supporters that follow the county regularly 
  • imagine how I felt watching the last couple of games....I've got tickets for the finals day!!!!!!!

My bad language went up a notch or two I can tell you

• Things got even worse after yesterday. If the bowling is poor the batting is pretty well none existent. It will be all over this morning, on day 3 ,in under an hour. Another innings defeat with table topping Warwickshire coming up at Rhos on sea next Wednesday.( always a very good pitch to bat on ). 500+ for Warwickshire here ?

Also Donald, despite a dreadful season in the Championship one of the better prospects ,  has opted to jump ship.Clearly upset at being left out of the four day side, although fully justified on his current form.

Perhaps they can regroup before September when there are 4 more Championship encounters to look forward to.

• edited August 2018
    Another disgrace yesterday.  Seventy nine runs off 198 deliveries -  almost less than 2 runs an over.  It must have been captivating watching that without falling asleep.

I have said for years that there should be relegation from ist class cricket to allow counties like Devon into the
    competition at the expense of constant failures like us.  Durham came in a few years ago and managed to get
    to League 1 -  someone else (even Scotland/Ireland should be given a chance).

Yet another poor start to the day for Sport in Wales.  I shudder to think what could happen this evening.   :'(
  • Lost by an innings in 30 mins play this morning.

I agree deejay that relegation, or the threat of it would stop complacency.

At the moment Glamorgan don't seem to care that they are giving their supporters very little .( as long as they get the odd ODI or T20 fixture with England at Sophia Gardens.Nobody  wants to turn up to see their team hammered, whatever the sport might be.

One or two overseas players need to be recruited ( a class bat and a class bowler ) ,to give the team the boost it needs going into a tough set of September fixtures. At the moment the team do not appear to be able to compete with the other counties at this level.

• What they desperately need are a couple of experienced pros who have been around the circuit for a number of years....someone in the mould of Murray Goodwin who was a fantastic signing at that time. Ian Bell is out of contract this year.....now he would be priceless!!!

a bit like what the Swans need now actually!!! 

• I was so certain that Bell would score a century in the present match that I should have gone down the bookies and placed a bet( something I would rarely do, particularly against a team I support ).

He is 160 not out at present ,what ho ! for a double century.

• Odds on tonight when Bob Willis wears his judge's black "cap" debating the England v India Test today on Sky.
    He has been saying for weeks that the batting position 4 should be taken again by Bell.  Obviously Willis' 
    connection with Warwickshire will create some bias but a double century (even against the stiffs of Glum) may
    be seen as similar to Moeen Ali's for Worcestershire last week.....  however Charles Colville is likely to insist that
    places in the Test team should only be taken by 1st Division players, preferably from the South East or from
    outside Britain.
  • edited September 2018
    Remember the Beatles song?

"It's getting better all the time (it can't get no worse)" .

Well it seems it can!!.

Chasing Derbyshire's 251 this morning the Glum boys just went from 83-2 to 121 all out in 17 overs
    or  put simply 83 for 2 to 38 for 8 (almost a mathematical palindrome)  ;)

The 121 included 20 extras and an innings of 9 from the debutant Stephen Cook who had 11 caps
    for South Africa and played Championship cricket for Durham in 2017 with a top score of 89 not out
    in their win against ...... guess who?

It's obvious Crofty has learned his player selection skill from a club not a million miles from St Helens.  

• As with the Swans something is not right behind the scenes .We  all know what it is with the Swans ,HJ  and Pearlman  on obscene wages for being incompetent and the non financial backing from across the pond.

The openers, Selman and Murphy had to go after being given so many chances, so they put Brown to open with a current average of 8. something. Perhaps we can forgive Cook , at least until tomorrow  when he does nothing again in the second innings.

I was hoping Carlson  and Cullen might build a decent partnership, but it was not to be.

Another(the 8th out of 11 ) defeat on the cards here I'm afraid. They still have to play Kent, so a ninth defeat for certain , unless the weather can do it's magic.

• I’ve been following Glamorgan for over 50 years. This has to be the worse team in our history. Croft and Morris are not budging on playing local young talent. There has to be five or six experienced batters/ bowlers in there with them. Have they given up on this season and hope to add some quality players next season to the squad. Would Marsh and De Lange made a difference if they weren’t injured 
  • Have  to completely agree with you Fatherjack.

I first went with my father to St Helens 60 years ago and have followed them ever since. There was always one or two standout players, sometimes more, but this team has nobody  other than very average club cricketers at best.

Oh for the days of Shepherd ,Wheatley,  Walker, Lewis, McConnon  and ex Swan Pressdee not to mention Parkhouse, Hedges, Wooler etc etc.

• ld

You can give up waiting until tomorrow to forgive Cook.

He went for 5 after facing 12 deliveries in the second dig which was a wee bit better
    than his first innings of 9 runs in 51 deliveries.   No boundary in either of course.
    I've said for years -  they can't bat their eyelids. 

14 runs in 63 deliveries outsmarts Boycott and is closer to Trevor Bailey - remember
    that non-Welshman with a Welsh name?
    Jackattack
  • Couldn't give a hoot for them anymore.

They crapped on Swansea, St Helens & the balconiers.

They play every game in a 1/4 white elephant, and cant even fill it for England one dayers.

Reap what you sow.

Jackattack
  • Wilf  Woller must be turning in his grave looking at this team we have
  • Home fans in Wales should not be supporting England on our sacred Celtic topsoil.  If it's England and Wales then that is what it should be called. It should also be the Ewbc. The w is silent. An embarrassment that pollutes the purity of the brand.  I' m out.