Football betting site Betway

Papering over the cracks.

After 3 games, I bet most of us would not have expected us to be sat in 2nd place and unbeaten. Looks good on paper.

But last night has concerned me. 

It was men against boys and surely our luck will not continue. 

I know it is a work in progress but we (the club/board) need to be proactive, and fast!

What are the boards ambitions??

Do they even want promotion?

I hope we get answers from Potter about why Montero and Narsingh are not being played?

Nothing against D James but he is not a better player right now. 

I was impressed with Celina. Yes he was not perfect but he has class. A great touch and turn.

Good weekend JA 

Comments

• Looks good on paper.

Yes it does, but you're right to be concerned.

It's only a year ago we were drawing 0-0 at Southampton and Spurs in very similar circumstances i.e. being battered, offering no attacking threat and getting away with a point by the skin of our teeth.

As supporters we have a choice - do what some did then and bury our heads in the sand and pretend that sort of performance is ok, or we can do what not many did at the time and look at it and be rightfully worried for what it means for the rest of the season.

Tuesday will tell us a lot about where we really are.

• I agree at this time even tho we have 7pts out of 9 there is a long, long hard road ahead and as much as it hurts me to say it these guys as hard as they try just wont stick the journey on their own.
    Why has the chairman not come out with some sort of statement why have the owners not come over and sort out the transfer mess they have created why are they not prepared to spend some of the cash they said was available ? why? because i dont think they care
  • The statement from the board made no mention of promotion, just focussed on the bad deals that had been made and   The intention is to strip us down to the bare minimum.  I agree, last night was a wake up call as a poor team made us look totally inept.   The CM positions are crucial as it was non existent  on in the first half.   Leeds United will be more efficient up front as they have scored 7 in the last three games.   We need loan signings to bolster  the team.  All this talk about Woods is probably another red herring and will end up with a lot of hot air but no deal.  We need to make life uncomfortable for this board with vocal protest and support the Trust to challenge the decisions that are wrecking our club.    I also question why Montero and Narsingh are not being used.  Watch this space over the next 10 days.  
  • Looks good on paper.

It's only a year ago we were drawing 0-0 at Southampton and Spurs in very similar circumstances i.e. being battered, offering no attacking threat and getting away with a point by the skin of our teeth.

As supporters we have a choice - do what some did then and bury our heads in the sand and pretend that sort of performance is ok, or we can do what not many did at the time and look at it and be rightfully worried for what it means for the rest of the season.

You represent the fan who does everyone's head in. To compare that to a premier league game you moron!!!
    We have a young team learning on the job due to circumstances beyond their control. They were bullied and could have rolled over but they hung on in there and grinded out a point. Cardiff made a promotion out of doing that last season with a group of seasoned pros. 
    Yes it was not a great performance but by god this team have some bottle for such a young side. 
    Davetoo_far_east
  • We have Routledge, Dyer, Narseing, Naughton, Montero, these are the highest paid players left at the club.
    OK a couple have lost their legs but have played at this level and higher, surely they can do a job.
    We are desperate for players who don't give the ball away, which puts too much pressure on the defence.
    Attacking midfielders who can pass and take a man on makes the other teams defend, we don't have these players at the moment.
    If these have no future, then let them go to get football elsewhere not wait for a loan fee for another buck, 2 of them have shown great loyalty, stop embarrassing them, play or give away
  • Phillip

That is a very naive statement to make. You cannot simply give players away. Even if you give them a free transfer, you have to find a club who will take them off your hands and pay their inflated wages for the length of the contract that they have remaining at Swansea. Oh that it was that simple !!
  • Reading want Dyer, unfortunately Jenkins gave him a four year contract when he returned from Leicester, that was great business
    QPR want Routledge, same long contract
    Montero would attract interest but think we should keep.
    Naughton has indicated he wants away.
    There is no end to their mismanagement, Mawson was on a shorter contract, half their wages and given away for 13.5M if rumours are correct. 

We are top of the Transfer deals, profit on sales exceeding all other 91 clubs.
     In fact we haven't sold all the high earners, the above are still here, Bony still here, Ayew Brothers on loan.
    I haven't seen any cuts in the other wage bills which was 48% and if it remains will exceed 70%.
    So as for giving them away, if possible yes, if they cant play or wont play, pay them off and give away.
    Having dead wood in the squad earning 10 times what others earn and not playing is no good at all for team spirit.
    What incentive for young players on 3K a week working their socks off, seeing others on 43K a week sitting on the bench, it makes sense play them or be rid 
  • Charlie10 said:
    Looks good on paper.

You represent the fan who does everyone's head in. To compare that to a premier league game you moron!!!
    We have a young team learning on the job due to circumstances beyond their control. They were bullied and could have rolled over but they hung on in there and grinded out a point. Cardiff made a promotion out of doing that last season with a group of seasoned pros. 
    Yes it was not a great performance but by god this team have some bottle for such a young side. 

If that means I don't represent you Mogs, then I'm alright with that. Off you toddle now, go prank call Eden Hazard or something. 
  • The incentive is these youngsters as you rightly say are on 3k a week. I work in the rain laying blocks. I work in the freezing cold laying bricks and I’m in my mid 40s and never earnt  3k a week. 
  • Using having a young team to excuse poor performance is missing the point. No one has forced us to go with a very young team, it's been our choice!? In transfer dealings and by not doing transfer dealings.

Ive said before I don't care if players are 19 or 29 we just need to right players who are skilled at the roles we need. At the moment we are using the youngsters poorly to undertake roles they are not yet capable of. In a team you can do that with one player to build experience but you can't do it with too many. We are not giving GP the best opportunity.

It is a concern, as we could waste the years of parachute payments and not get our style back, then we will need to compete on match day earnings when we have one of the smallest grounds in the division.

About the other players we still have young or old, none of them are a regista, a box to box midfielder, a deeplying playmaker, a rock solid centre back or an experienced 10+ a season goalscorer. These are our immediate needs and have been for months.
    garythenotrashcougar
  • The players need time.  They have the skill and pace but need some strength to add on. Slick passing was seen in Sheffield. Birmingham close down rapidly.  Chances on the breakaway were lost through inaccurate passing. Returning to a possession based game will take time. Holding their own without defeats is mildly encouraging. Bony and Fer will make a huge difference to Celina Asoro and Mckay. 
  • @Ponty_Jack don't disagree with that. Not sure where the time is going to come from though. Nobody expects perfection, but some players young or old won't improve if they are a square peg trying to fit in a round hole.

Fer has made a difference, but what happens if he gets injured. There are too many single points of failure at the moment and too many gaps where we don't have players with the right skill set. That won't change in anything other than a seasons timeframe if at all.

We currently lose the ball after 4 passes, that is worrying, the good news is Dan and Joe were the players with the highest successful pass rates.
  • not just what happens if Fer gets injured. But what happens when, and we have seen it time and time again, the new manager bounce wears off for him?

Let's hope that giving him the captain's armband puts an end to that.
    garythenotrashcougar
  • Phillip said:
    Reading want Dyer, unfortunately Jenkins gave him a four year contract when he returned from Leicester, that was great business
    QPR want Routledge, same long contract
    Montero would attract interest but think we should keep.
    Naughton has indicated he wants away.
    There is no end to their mismanagement, Mawson was on a shorter contract, half their wages and given away for 13.5M if rumours are correct. 

We are top of the Transfer deals, profit on sales exceeding all other 91 clubs.
     In fact we haven't sold all the high earners, the above are still here, Bony still here, Ayew Brothers on loan.
    I haven't seen any cuts in the other wage bills which was 48% and if it remains will exceed 70%.
    So as for giving them away, if possible yes, if they cant play or wont play, pay them off and give away.
    Having dead wood in the squad earning 10 times what others earn and not playing is no good at all for team spirit.
    What incentive for young players on 3K a week working their socks off, seeing others on 43K a week sitting on the bench, it makes sense play them or be rid 

• We need more than bottle to stay in the Championship,  its very naïve to think that these young players can keep this pace up every week.  One or two injuries and were in trouble.  We should have signed players a month ago but same mistake again.  Right down to the wire and get no decent signings.   For f--k sake wake up.  
  • Phillip

Where do you suggest the money is going to come from to pay these players off ? Furthermore, they are,at least a part of a very threadbare squad at present. For each one that would be given away, another would need to come in, adding to the give away cost. 
  • Better to loan them out than pay them off.  Borja a could have a good season and get his valuation back up a million or two.  Routledge is in his final year and will want his salary. Better to loan him off to get those wages at least reduced. Dyer has two years left. His wages off the books will help. Narsingh can still be sold overseas or loaned with a view to a sale. These savings will amount to about £1m each in wages.  £3m+ to help pay for Woods.  Western Mail reported Kaplan and Levien were at St Andrews last night and keeping a very close look at on and off field matters. 
  • Dyer and Routledge should never have been given extended contracts! They were both past their sell by dates several
    years ago! We shouldn’t have the problem of trying to loan them out if the club was run properly!

if we were serious about woods and we were willing to back potter he would be here by now, so he won’t be coming!

If the American hedge fund were there last night, I now hope they realise how thin the squad is and it can’t be rectified without spending some hard cash!

• Dont worry guys I am sure we are "edging" towards a signing or two! Thinking about it, it is funny how they never "edge" their way out of ur club though!!!
    SpeakerJackDubDragon