Season ticket renewals

edited November 21 in Swansea City
Prices are lower and the early bird is extended to the end of January. That is handy cos we will know if the club sell our promising youngsters before committing.

I think it's a good deal tbh. 

South stand is £20 cheaper for adults, (£399) kids the same (£69).

Comments

• I've got very cynical in the last couple of years.

"And out of loyalty to the Jack Army, the club has reduced the price by as much as £30** on last season’s discounted adult price. " it said on the official website.

Nah, I don't think it's anything to do with rewarding supporter "loyalty"  at all- I see this as a commercial move to increase the number of early bird payments and have an improved earlier cashflow profile. They need the cash more this year than they did last year.

Yes there is a price reduction but only if you take the early bird option. If you normally hang fire until the last moment in March, then there is no change to prices for me anyway.

On a positive note, this is all very good news for supporters though -having no increase is good, as is extending the early bird period with a potential associated cost reduction from last year. But this is a commercial decision, not something generated out of the goodness of their hearts.
  • I'm just glad the rumours of a price increase didn't materialise and we get to witness the Jan window unfold before deciding if we are getting asset stripped or not. 
  • The take up is going to plummet for next season that is guaranteed. If they get 10k renewals by the end of March I'll be astonished. Promotion is the only thing that can reverse this come May. 
  • JoH,
    You could be wrong there, as so many fans I have spoken to this season have not spoken about promotion but of how much they are enjoying watching the Swans at the Liberty. 
  • I know of fans who have season tickets and barely gone to a game, because they were so disillusioned - not just the relegation, but also the transfer dealings. 

My feeling is they will give up their tickets, especially if there is no chance of promotion.

I am sure some will give them stick for that. I know some of our mutual friends are perplexed. but I can understand, as it is a kind of depression really. 

Falling out of love with the club and football. 
    JoH
  • The football is enjoyable and the fan/player connection better than for years. The lack of connection between owners and fans is diabolical. 
  • There is too much football being broadcast in my view,there can be overkill with the novelty being lost.To counter that the experience of a live game with fellow supporters, following a team of players that you can relate to, and which is competitive,cannot be beaten.
    That's always been the draw for me and it looks as if it is on the way back.
    deekay
  • I am with you Moorlands, I hardly ever watch any football on the Tv/laptop, especially the premier league. (Swans excepted)  I am beginning to think that I don't actually enjoy football any more, except for my beloved Swans. 
  • I have rarely, if ever watched Match of the Day this season. Watch the occasional live match on Sky. 

Do watch the Championship highlights. Record all Swans live games, whether I am at the game or not. And the odd live Champs game.
  • After today, and I don't mean the football, I don't feel like shelling out several hundred pounds to support the regime at the club. 
    Heard one steward say to another After we went 3 0 down,  glad were losing, hopefully everyone will f off early so we can watch the rugby. And that's not the only reason.
  • JoH,
    You could be wrong there, as so many fans I have spoken to this season have not spoken about promotion but of how much they are enjoying watching the Swans at the Liberty. 
    You're probably at the game tonight Colin so are in a better position to comment but there looks like a lot of empty seats there tonight for what is a big championship fixture. 13-14k is what we'll pull in the champ in a normal season - you can add 2k to that if we're going for promotion. These are the figures based on our last stint there and if anything more people might not want to give the owners a dime extra in the future (I include myself here)
  • JoH,
    I wasn't there last night but like so many season ticket holders who don't go, for whatever reason to matches, their seat is still counted.
    Because of the red button utilising just one camera I couldn't see how big the away fans area was, but I would be surprised if there were more than a 1000 Albion fans present as their presence in recent seasons to matches at the Liberty has been quite disappointing, when you consider the short journey.
    The away fans section holds around 2300 and i would think that when you add the 1000-1500  or so empty seats to the official attendance, it won't be far off the maximum attendance at the Liberty.

• JoH,
    And me, I also think we are a totally different club now to what we were 10 years ago, you don't see kids in Man U/ Liverpool shirts (in the main) and our supporters base, world-wide is growing. Whilst season tickets might take a hit, I don't think it'll be as much as some hope.
    The setting up of development programmes from Bristol to Ceridigion with a few in Ireland also helps. I'm sure the marketeers will bring them in to see a game on regular ocassions, or one would hope they would.
    Also, time to resurrect the Swans for Schools project and get into the Uni(s).
  • The longer the club stays in the 2nd tier however, the more realistically budgets will decrease at development level sadly
  • Agree with you there Colin finances will play a big part in the future running of the club if we stay in the lower leagues a lot of plans will be shelved and a lot more jobs will go imho . Why didn’t they set up these development programmes while the money and the interest in the club was there for 7 years in the Premier ?
  • There were loads of empty seats in the east bank proper against WBA Colin and whilst you are correct in stating they were probably ST holders that haven't turned up my point/question is why aren't they there in the 1st place? I expect it's because appetite is not there and hence my prediction of no more than 10k renewals next season. 
  • jollyboy said:
    JoH,
    And me, I also think we are a totally different club now to what we were 10 years ago, you don't see kids in Man U/ Liverpool shirts (in the main) and our supporters base, world-wide is growing. Whilst season tickets might take a hit, I don't think it'll be as much as some hope.
    The setting up of development programmes from Bristol to Ceridigion with a few in Ireland also helps. I'm sure the marketeers will bring them in to see a game on regular ocassions, or one would hope they would.
    Also, time to resurrect the Swans for Schools project and get into the Uni(s).
    I think you have to offset all the above against the bad feeling the owners have created between themselves and the fan base. That in itself will have a huge hit on sales. Furthermore, and god forbid, if results continue on a downward spiral I dread to think of the atmosphere on match days.
  • enaitch said:
    Agree with you there Colin finances will play a big part in the future running of the club if we stay in the lower leagues a lot of plans will be shelved and a lot more jobs will go imho . Why didn’t they set up these development programmes while the money and the interest in the club was there for 7 years in the Premier ?
    The reason being that we scrapedcand borrowed to fund player recruitment in 1st season and after that wages slowly spiralled, plus of course the funding for 2 training grounds. 
    From Laudrup sacking on sadly, money put to one side for player recruitment left a lot to be desired 
  • JoH said:
    There were loads of empty seats in the east bank proper against WBA Colin and whilst you are correct in stating they were probably ST holders that haven't turned up my point/question is why aren't they there in the 1st place? I expect it's because appetite is not there and hence my prediction of no more than 10k renewals next season. 
    Perhaps like me they live a long way away & cant get to a midweek game. I was there on Saturday but could not countenance  a mid week game as well (according to my MRS!)  Perhaps the club could make it easier for season ticket holders to give/sell their seat for games like that
  • what I was getting at Colin is if they didn’t get a development programme set up a few years ago there’s no chance of it ever happening soon
  • JoH said:
    There were loads of empty seats in the east bank proper against WBA Colin and whilst you are correct in stating they were probably ST holders that haven't turned up my point/question is why aren't they there in the 1st place? I expect it's because appetite is not there and hence my prediction of no more than 10k renewals ne
    I have no doubt there were numerous reasons why season ticket holders didn't turn up for the WBA match, while the situation in buying your ticket months before a season has started is no different now to what it has always been, and employment patterns, family commitments affect us all. Hence, many fans don't see all the home games, wherever they live. 
    We missed the Leeds home game earlier in the season because of relocating to Essex, and because our seats weren't sat on, would that be classed as down to a loss of appetite on our part after witnessing a poor display against Norwich?
    I would envisage a drop in season ticket renewals to 10k if the club was relegated to League 1 next May but I would be very surprised if there was a substantial drop in renewals to see us play another season in the Championship.
    Also, perhaps you don't realise the large amount of season tickets that have been sold to fans living not only outside West Glamorgan but also in England.
  • What happens between 1 and 31 January will be a tipping point for many season ticket holders.

If (as I suspect) the only transfer activity will be the resumption of the first team player asset stripping policy, then a lot of people are going to walk away. It also looks likely there will be movement on the Trust legal action by then, which will further drag the board's name through the mud.

The board need to be extremely careful in January. Or they could be in for a very nasty shock in the pocket. (Of course that make the assumption they actually give a shit - there's no evidence for that to date so I guess there's no reason for them to start now).
  • Gary
    regarding your reference to the period between January 1st to the 31st, what percentage of fans do you relate to. The ones that want to get back in the PL at all cost or the ones who don’t fully understand what needs to be done to stabilise the club.
    Also, as far as asset stripping in the first team is concerned do you include Dyer, Routledge and Narsingh, or is it the likes of Bony.
    I honestly can’t see any of the younger players, who have just signed new deals to be tempted to move on, so what other players in the squad are ripe for asset stripping.
    The Trust know they are in a delicate situation, as do the Yanks in their delaying tactics, but can you honestly see the Trust leaving themselves open to those fans amongst us waiting to blame all and sundry that doesn’t suit their agenda. Later in the season or in the summer will no doubt be the date the Trust will decide on.
    I don’t really think about wondering what the Board will do as fans like myself and so many others will still be following the club, even those like myself from outside the city.
  • JoH said:
    There were loads of empty seats in the east bank proper against WBA Colin and whilst you are correct in stating they were probably ST holders that haven't turned up my point/question is why aren't they there in the 1st place? I expect it's because appetite is not there and hence my prediction of no more than 10k renewals ne
    I have no doubt there were numerous reasons why season ticket holders didn't turn up for the WBA match, while the situation in buying your ticket months before a season has started is no different now to what it has always been, and employment patterns, family commitments affect us all. Hence, many fans don't see all the home games, wherever they live. 
    We missed the Leeds home game earlier in the season because of relocating to Essex, and because our seats weren't sat on, would that be classed as down to a loss of appetite on our part after witnessing a poor display against Norwich?
    I would envisage a drop in season ticket renewals to 10k if the club was relegated to League 1 next May but I would be very surprised if there was a substantial drop in renewals to see us play another season in the Championship.
    Also, perhaps you don't realise the large amount of season tickets that have been sold to fans living not only outside West Glamorgan but also in England.
    So you're Colin Essex now???  :)

I understand there's always reasons for people now being able to make matches, however using your rationale what % of ST holders will now use the work, family, etc. card when deciding not to renew at all? You would have never have seen that many empty seats for a PL game, especially against one of the bigger clubs in the division which is what WBA are.

Very straightforward - the championship as a product is inferior to that of the PL and as a result attracts less people to watch it. That coupled with the fact we have owners who have warned us to expect more hard medicine this January then for me the outcome is inevitable.

Watch this space.

• Add to the fact that many fans are enjoying going to the Liberty now rather than what has been seen in the last 4 seasons in the PL. The fans will still come provided they can see shoots of a revival to what we used to be but now and again there will be pitfalls.
    Do you feel that some of the youngsters will be offloaded in January. If not, which of our playing squad will we not want to leave?

Believe in Potter, I do.

Will still be colin-Swansea!!
  • I believe we will see up to three new faces in Jan one will be the Scottish fellow . Bony will not be going until the summer but maybe the three mentioned will be gone on loan or sold  as JOH said.        Watch this space 
  • Gary
    regarding your reference to the period between January 1st to the 31st, what percentage of fans do you relate to. The ones that want to get back in the PL at all cost or the ones who don’t fully understand what needs to be done to stabilise the club.
    Also, as far as asset stripping in the first team is concerned do you include Dyer, Routledge and Narsingh, or is it the likes of Bony.
    I honestly can’t see any of the younger players, who have just signed new deals to be tempted to move on, so what other players in the squad are ripe for asset stripping.
    The Trust know they are in a delicate situation, as do the Yanks in their delaying tactics, but can you honestly see the Trust leaving themselves open to those fans amongst us waiting to blame all and sundry that doesn’t suit their agenda. Later in the season or in the summer will no doubt be the date the Trust will decide on.
    I don’t really think about wondering what the Board will do as fans like myself and so many others will still be following the club, even those like myself from outside the city.
    Colin, taking your questions one by one.

I've got no time for anyone who would walk away because they were pouting at us not looking like going straight back up. As far as I'm concerned, any 'fan' with that attitude can do one - they'd be no loss. 

Re asset stripping. I have a very clear view - which I think it is probably very different to yours - that the recent long-term contracts for Roberts, Rodon, etc are mainly to maximise sell on value either in January or in subsequent transfer windows. August proved to me that if it isn't nailed down to the floor, they'll sell it. Dyer, Routledge, Bony, Narsingh - different. I'm not too concerned if they went, we could do without their wages. 

I'm kind of where JoH was in his post above - I think you overestimate a traditionally fickle fanbase's appetite for mid-table second tier stagnation. I personally would be quite happy with survival for as long as these awful owners are in place, but I'm only too aware that there are many who will demand much more.
  • Gary
    Thanks for your reply but for me survival comes with a caveat, and that it comes with a continuance of returning to what we made our name at and that is a passing game. Most fans realise this and so many have told me how they are enjoying games at the Liberty even though we have lost matches. 

• I have missed more games this season than any of those in the PL. 

Partly down to the fact we have had several midweek games, and partly down to deciding not to go if the game is on TV, or I find something better to do. 

In the PL I used to work my social life around the games. Now, if there is a gig or something else I on, that now takes precedence. 

To be honest, looking back, that should have been the case in the last few seasons of dross, as I was more likely to shift my ticket.

I guess I have fallen out of love with the game and the club since Laudrup left, the football we have witnessed, and how the sale of the club was conducted. 
    garythenotrashcougar
  • I have missed more games this season than any of those in the PL. 

Partly down to the fact we have had several midweek games, and partly down to deciding not to go if the game is on TV, or I find something better to do. 

In the PL I used to work my social life around the games. Now, if there is a gig or something else I on, that now takes precedence. 

To be honest, looking back, that should have been the case in the last few seasons of dross, as I was more likely to shift my ticket.

I guess I have fallen out of love with the game and the club since Laudrup left, the football we have witnessed, and how the sale of the club was conducted. 
    The thing is Mark, if you are a 50 something, like me, then we've seen a lot more bad times than good, I'd never give up. I talked to the ticket office guys last night at a DSA event, they say ticket sales for December are outstripping last season, early days, I know.
    BigG