Match Discussion: Derby County v Swans - Championship 2018/19

edited December 2 in Swansea City
This is the place to discuss all things related to the Derby County v Swans - Championship game on Saturday 1st December 2018.

Share your pre and post match thoughts, views on Graham Potter's pre or post match comments, team selection and score prediction!

The referee for the game is Andrew Madley.

If you are going to the game have a read of our Travelling Jacks Guide to Pride Park - the home of Derby County.

For those of you who fancy a flutter at the bookies, have a read of Jack Tipp's Swansea v Derby betting tips.

Comments

• Let's hope Potter takes on Board the flaws Darren Moore spotted in our defensive nous, and can work on them before Saturday.

"It was an area of the pitch we felt we might exploit. But you need the right delivery, timing of the runs and the contact on the ball. Those three ingredients we got spot on to get the goals.

"The Dawson goal was the important one. We just thought we could expose the far-post area and Matty [Phillip]'s delivery was spot on. Craig and Ahmed's aerial ability is a strong point to their game."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46380339
  • It's not rocket science Mark and one doesn't need a coaching badge to not only spot your opposition's strengths, but also how to address it.
  • From where we were sitting in the South stand we could see Connor on the far post dwarfed by the WBA boys. I feared for us before the ball was put in. As you say Colin, not rocket science. The players need to get a bit more wise and shuffle about to fit the situation. 
  • That's why I.m not a fan of the zonal marking system, I would much prefer that players had there assignments at set pieces (i.e players to mark) and then defend properly.

Also there needs to be a true Captain (ala Garry Monk) on the pitch who can organise and implement the coaches tactics, but I am not sure we have a leader of that ilk at the club presently.

• we are still lacking leadership on the pitch, that much is clear from the past couple of games has shown.
  • Is the far post outside the zonal map ?
    and ..... What's wrong with a mix of man to man marking complimenting zonal defence ?
  • Jeremy said:
    Is the far post outside the zonal map ?
    and ..... What's wrong with a mix of man to man marking complimenting zonal defence ?
    yes that is my favoured option.
  • Looks like Derby may be without Bradley Johnson on the weekend. he's been charged after bitegate last night.
  • Had a weird dream last night...

One of the Derby players had long hair and was prancing around the pitch like a fairy, one of our boys took issue with it and kicked him up the arse.

Oh, and we won 1-0
    Arch_StantonJoe90
  • PaulT said:4
    Had a weird dream last night...

One of the Derby players had long hair and was prancing around the pitch like a fairy, one of our boys took issue with it and kicked him up the arse.

Oh, and we won 1-0
    Funny, I had a dream about the game too, actually 2 dreams. In the first we were 6-0 up at halftime, in the second we won 8-0. Too much whisky, I guess
    PaulT
  • StephenR :   Come down from the clouds m8. 3-0 loss today. 
  • OnceaJack said:
    StephenR :   Come down from the clouds m8. 3-0 loss today. 
    Job's comforter!!   It was only a dream!
  • StephenR, did not mean any offence. But I don’t think we will go down, but we r not strong enough to go up. 
  • The Potter's wheel seems to be broken.
  • Just when he had settled on a shape of 4 at the back GP has suddenly gone 5 at the back last 2 games
    Thinner in MF so not enough challenge on Wilson who is lining up shots from outside the box
    He's able to do that because first half was 64% possession to them
    Tactical error
    Now we are looking lacking in energy
    Maybe GP should go back to chopping and changing the line up with a view to getting more energy out of the team
    Settled set of choices seems to have made performances worse
  • How many times has GP picked the wrong team and tactics, at the start of games ?
    When he brings on 2 subs in the first 5 mins of second half, you know he’s messed up. 
  • Dan James pulled up mid sprint, hamstring. Down to ten men due to all three subs made.

Shambles. 
  • Not feeling great after that loss (now 3 in a row). Out of the 3 I thought Derby could be a good consolation win. Sadly it wasn’t to be. Graham Potter has got his work cut out for him. My faith in him is beginning to waiver somewhat but the support is still there due to the hand he’s been dealt by the board. After that calamitous run of games we’re due a win soon, please, I’m begging.
  • It’s not Potter’s fault, it’s the players he has got now, they not up to championship standard, well most of them r not. 
  • At the moment we just seem to gifting goals to the opposition immediately putting us behind the eight ball !
    Everybody knows that Wilson has a great left foot yet twice (not counting his crosses) we just allow him all the time in the world to line it up on his left. Going back to the West Brom game,when you have two huge centre halves coming up for set pieces surely you have to ditch the zonal system and put your two tallest defenders on them.So does this come down to the coaching or should this be just footballing nous. We are sadly lacking someone on the pitch to bark out instructions or give the occasional bollocking.
  • I am not buying the Potter is a messiah line. He is accountable as much as any other manager should be. The championship quality isn't great and we have shown we can compete. He's made lots of strange decisions in amongst the good he has done.

I fully back him but he shouldn't get a free ride and has to be accountable for our results. 
  • Gardo,

You've hit the nail on the head with your last sentence.

If Leroy Fer is considered to be the best example of a leader in the squad, then you've got real problems.

I posted on here about a week ago, before the Norwich game, that this section of the season (Nov - March) when the games come thick and fast and uninterrupted by internationals, it separates the men from the boys. We have not made a very good start to that period at all.

Hopefully it's just a blip and we'll be looking back on New Year's Day with a few more wins under our belt and breathing a little easier.
  • The still not fully fit Leroy Fer is costing us points cos he wears an armband! The world according to Gary.
  • First time we have lost three on the trot since 2009. 
  • Do you think he's a leader then @MarkG

Happy that he's the man to bollock players when they need bollocking?

Happy that he's a man you can count on, let's just say for the sake of argument, to defend a corner at the far post and definitely not duck under the ball and let someone score?

Genuinely interested to hear your views on this.
  • Yes and yes and potter thinks so too. WBAs 2nd goal, mulder should have taken it.

But as we all know, a football team needs leaders across the park. We are not playing rugby or cricket. He's not fully fit and isn't on the pitch that much but when he is not on the field, there's no one stopping anyone taking on leadership. 

And potter has 3 senior players he could be using but isn't, dyer, narsingh and routledge. If the board are telling him not to play these Premier league seasoned players then maybe its a question of weak leadership from him.  
  • Highlights from today's game... less said about the defending the better  :(

• Leicester had the tinker man.
    We are suffering with the potter man.
  • Leicester had the tinker man.
    We are suffering with the potter man.
    What a load of bollocks. FFS
  • The first goal is bad enough but the second is pathetic. 

Some of the goals we've conceded in the last half a dozen games - I'm thinking Rotherham, Norwich and West Brom in particular - have been Sunday League.