Match Discussion: Brentford v Swans - Championship 2018/19

edited December 10 in Swansea City
This is the place to discuss all things related to the Brentford v Swans - Championship game on Saturday 8th December 2018.

Share your pre and post match thoughts, views on Graham Potter's pre or post match comments, team selection and score prediction!

The referee for the game is Andy Woolmer.

If you are going to the game have a read of our Travelling Jacks Guide to Griffin Park - the home of Brentford.

Have a read of the Brentford v Swans Head to Head Stats from 1921 to the present day.

Comments

• No doubt the match at the Hawthorns last night would have been all over by half-time if the home team had taken their chances but what was  noticeable in the Brentford team as they survived time and time again was quite an enterprising outfit going forward.

Brentford’s ability to open up the home defence after the interval via Sawyers, Emiliano or Judge plusbtge lovement and predatory instincts of top scorer Maupay will certainly give our defence some problems, and their movement is something different to set pieces, more akin to Norwich’s game plan.

No easy matches in the Championship!!

• As you mention if WBA had taken their chance @Colin_swansea

That's been quite an issue for us all season. Fingers crossed this Saturday we turn it on.   
  • I watched highlights of Derby v Swans last night, having only seen patches of the game live on Saturday.  Unless the footage had been heavily edited in Derby's favour, what I saw was overwhelming Derby possession and attacks on the Swansea goal.  Derby should have scored 3 or 4.  Swans' possession was frantic and hurried with little control and very little goal threat.  Unless there is a massive improvement at Brentford, I am not very optimistic of our chances there.  As the OP says, Brentford are a useful outfit with some attacking potency.  I trust I'm proved wrong.
  • Unfortunately GP seems to be tinkering with both players and game plans in each match which does not give the team any consistency. Performances early doors were far better than they are now. Surely he now knows who he can rely on...... 
  • Think GP was tinkering far more in early matches than what he does now.
  • Yes he was tinkering but not with 4 at the back, more with who he played - there were lots of    different combinations of players but more or less the same tactical plan with perhaps the exception of the Stoke game away, where he fielded a team without a CF
  • Bad news from the OS....

"Daniel James will miss Swansea City’s trip to Brentford this weekend because of a hamstring injury.

The in-form winger limped off in the closing minutes of last Saturday’s defeat at Derby County.

A scan has revealed James suffered a slight hamstring strain at Pride Park which will sideline him for a couple of weeks.

That means the Welsh international is also doubtful for the Swans’ home clash with Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday, December 15.

But boss Graham Potter will expect to have James back at his disposal for the hectic Christmas period."
  • Unlikely to happen - BUT - I would like to Celina given a break (and even sent home for a quick vacation/freshen up). He still shows flashes of his undoubted class, but he is nowhere near as consistent as earlier in the season. He plainly needs a rest.
    Depending on Wilf's physical progress I might be tempted to start him and let Ollie play off him in a second striker type role. 
    Need to go back to a back 4 and have 4 across the middle that protect the back 4  but give us the option of springing forward. So here goes
              Mulder/Nordfeldt
    Naughton VdH Rodon Olsson
    Roberts Fulton Grimes Mckay/Asoro
                 Socks
                       Bony

Jeff and Fer off the bench after an hour for Wilf and Fulton.
  • If Celina is rested, then I would like to see how Byers play at 10.
    Jackareme
  • I just want to see us play 4-3-3 and not the horrendously negative five at the back

I agree with giving Celina a break

Nordfelt
    Roberts Rodon VDH Olsson
            Naughton Fer
    McKay    Mcburnie  Dyer
                 Bony

Bit different but Roberts needs to play right back. Olsson at left back. Would like to see Fer/Naughton axis. Start bony with Mcburnie as false 10. 

Would like to see Dyer start regardless of if he's going in January. Asoro still doesn't convince. Montero to make a massive impact off the bench
  • Sorry ......

But for me there is a clear sign of decline at the top and "development" playing levels coupled with
    the Manager/Coach's lack of enthusiasm in yesterday's Press Conference (answering questions from
    from only one jourmalist).  It will lead to a 2-0 home win before Brentford move to their new stadium.

Look back to Mark London's post earlier in the week about Bolton players and let's not forget
    the similarities to us today when about 8-10 years ago under Sam Allardyce and Owen Coyle 
    they showcased one of the best Academies in the Premier League.
  • I dont see Asoro featuring today, as he played for the U23s the other night, along with Yan. And Byers also played, so he wont be in the squad either.

It will be interesting to see what he does with the keeper position. He said he doesnt like punishing players for mistakes by dropping them, as it makes players frightened of making mistakes. But he must have thoughts on Mulder's recent games.

I hope he doesnt continue with the back 3 idea. 

Mulder

Roberts VdH Rodon Olsson

Naughton Grimes

Celina

Dyer McB McKay

subs
    Nord, Fer, Bony, Jeff, CCV, John, Fulton

• One of my worries for today’s match, is without James, who’s energy and speed has been one of our bright spots, means it will probably, be Mackay or Asoro, taking his place, neither of whom, have not exactly set the place alight, apart from Mackay’s first game for us, away at Sheffield. 
    His appearance at Liberty stadium against his old club Forest, was one of the worst non displays, I’ve seen for a long time. 
    Something doesn’t look right with him, like his application and motivation. 
    As for Asoro, he hasn’t played enough really, but the little he has played, has looked Barrowesque, runs in a straight line ,with no tricks. 
    But hay ho, hopefully, I’ll be proved totally wrong, and one of them will make me look like a  total tw*t, come 5 o’clock. 
  • as I said before, Asoro played midweek for the U23s so very much doubt he will be at Brentford.

However, looks like Nathan WILL play a part, as he's in the video on twitter of the team arriving at the ground.
  • edited December 8
    Not quite what I had on the team sheet. you can never 2nd guess Potter, that's for sure!

• Putting Dyer & Routs on show for January I would say if I was cynical
  • Dropping Roberts baffles me big time. Not just as my mums from Crynant but he's been our best player this season

Dyer and Routledge both in. Unbelievable. 
  • edited December 8
    Wayne fecking ROUTLEDGE!!!!

UNBELIEVEABLE SV!!  :*
    barry
  • Knew my comment would work  :D
    Mark_Jack_London
  • 3-0 Swans!! Fer. Potter let the Boyz loose
  • 3-1, set piece again corner to Brentford, goal. WTF. 
  • not really a set piece. shot from outside the box crashes off the crossbar, and hits their player and goes in.
  • BBC live text has 6 minutes between Olssen being injured and being subbed. Did he try and play on or is it a bad one where that time was used treating him and getting him off?
  • Following game on text at hospital (Mrs having new hip) Being looked after by Bob Latchford:"'a niece! 
  • Goal! Brentford 1, Swansea City 3. Ollie Watkins (Brentford) header from the centre of the box to the bottom left corner.
  • Fulton for Dyer. Concede with minutes 

Now CCV for Routs. CCV instantly booked and we're now five at the effin back!! Five at the back is the worst thing we can do. 
    Mark_Jack_London
  • Bees hit the bar 92nd min.