Our Scouting Team

It will be interesting to see who (if anybody) our new scouting team has identified since they were put in place after Graham Potter's arrival. 

There has been plenty of time now to firstly assess the current squad and identify what is required to move forward, so I for one will be interested to see what if any changes they can implement in January (I appreciate a full overhaul not likely to summer).

Also how has there recruitment in the summer fared?

My view would be:-

Bersant Celina - Good signing has performed well and is now starting to score, plus he still has plenty of upside

Barrie Mckay - Needs to improve, whilst young he has nearly 200 appearances behind him so plenty of experience and thus should offer much more. My opinion is that he is not good enough and he his let down massively by his lack of ability to tackle well (he tracks back but never seems to put a tackle in and just eventually stops tracking when another Swansea player is nearby, which to me seems to be tracking for the sake of it and not tacking responsibility and dealing with the situation). It's fair to say I'm not a big fan

Joel Asoro - Not had much impact yet but I believe there is a player in there, one for the future

Cameron Carter-Vickers - looks decent to me when he has stepped in and I would like to keep him for the rest of the season,  I don't want him to play and stop Rodon's development but we need adequate cover (Rodon could do with a little rest as a few errors have been creeping into his game).

Declan John - we have not seen too much of him but I hope he comes good and make the LB position one we don't have to fill this January 

Therefore so far the signings in this new era have not had a massive impact on the first team (but they did only have a month or so to evaluate the squad we all know they didn't get much financial backing in the last window).

What Next?

Well I'm sure they are working behind the scenes and know what is needed to ensure this season pans out planned (I believe mid-table would be the aim).

My worry is if we lose Dyer, Routledge, Bony & Narsingh then we could be in trouble as that is a hell of a lot of experience.
Clearly Narsingh is irrelevant but the other 3 would need replacing and I'm not sure we could replace them adequately in January as any new signings would need to settle in Swansea and get up to speed with our way of playing. whereas those 3 are fully upto speed, experienced and leaders in this squad.

So for me I would sell Narsingh and if we can get a decent offer sell Leroy Fer or Tom Carroll and bring in an experienced Centre Midfielder (who can organise) and if possible a Striker to push Mcburnie and Bony 

Comments

• GP does not choose Declan John much  even for a squad so he's not getting game time
    If he is capable of playing Championship level - not sure myself - he is getting little opportunity to get match fit so we never know exactly how good he is
    CCV looks OK for the Championship but again has not played much
    Celina was a good signing who plays regularly
    Asoro is not playing much - young quick inconsistent so hasn't worked out so far but might
    Barry McKay is playing a lot and no, he doesn't tackle back
    Plenty pf ability but lacks confidence - squares the ball instead of shooting etc
    Disappears out of games and seems to be physically intimidated easily
    McKay is a bit like the team - needs more effort and more consistency but some ability there
    Just about working out but he's a bit like Fer - ideally you would want a more wholehearted player
    On the whole the new recruitment team did no more than just OK last summer
    Though John looks like the club chose him not GP
    I'd say we  need a central MF and a striker too but we may also need a LB
    I'd expect Narsingh to go but his departure won't fund 3 new players so we can expect one or two more to be off too
  • Pretty much the same scouting team as last year but with one exception, I'm told that he is wet behind the ears 
  • jollyboy,
    who are the scouting team?
  • I presume you mean HJ is wet behind the ears as Kyle didn’t take up the position till late August ... too late to have an input
  • enaitch said:
    I presume you mean HJ is wet behind the ears as Kyle didn’t take up the position till late August ... too late to have an input
    No, the lad is wet behind the ears, he is taking advice from all, nothing wrong in that IMO