January 2019 Transfer Window

edited February 2 in Swansea City
This thread is the place to discuss all things Swans related activity during the January 2019 Transfer Window.

The transfer window will open at one minute past midnight on January 1 and close at 11pm on January 31.
RugeleySwan

Comments

• Rumours started on Boxing Day about an interest in Malmö FF's 28 year old midfielder Fouad Bachirou, who has impressed since joining the club and was one of the prominent players behind Malmö's Europa League group success.

The 28-year-old came to Malmö from Östersund, who at the time were managed by our very own Graham Potter. 

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/320570/Show/Fouad-Bachirou
  • If he is a free transfer or out of contract then Ill believe it !
  • Danny Graham to return ??? Not fact just that there was talk of them after an experienced championship striker in the last few days
  • 2021 Colin otherwise he’d be about 40 odd lol
  • Leroy Lita is currently playing for non-league Margate, perhaps we should sign him as well and both he and Graham can once again provide some entertainment for the residents in SA1!!!!
    DubDragonMark_Jack_London
  • Mentioned on Planet Swans just a guess is nelson oliveira on loan?...hopefully though Potter with his own established scouting team will have some gems lined up and so its not the usual links to ex Swan players or players that played well against us for one game type that we have recently been used to. (That's if any players do actually come in)
  • Leroy Lita is currently playing for non-league Margate, perhaps we should sign him as well and both he and Graham can once again provide some entertainment for the residents in SA1!!!!
    Currys would be happy. it would help them shift some old TV Stock!
  • My guess is that we will sell Roberts for around £8M to a team like Leicester or Palace and spend about £3M of that on 2 or 3 new players, one of whom will be a left back. I also think that, somehow, Bony will leave us.
  • Well everybody is entitled to their guess
    My guesses are 
     That Asoro will go back to Sunderland on loan and star in their promotion from League 1
    That Bony will leave for Turkey on loan for the rest of the season and score a few goals
    That Connor will stay
    That Narsingh will move on to Greece or Turkey because we will subsidise his wages to get him off the books
    That GP will tear his hair out over the lack of support from the owners
    That GP will keep on saying the squad is big enough even after we have signed nobody
    That we will not sign Shankland even though he will go elsewhere for £500,000
  • Not really finding much on the net re rumors for this window so not expecting much incoming
  • About the only new stuff I found today is a very weak story about Bony to Celtic on loan, and another, bringing in defensive holding midfielder Bachirou from Malmo. used to play for GP at osterunds
  • How about persuading Leon to play the holding role for the rest of the season. Don't think it would take that much for him to get to a reasonable level of fitness and I'm sure he wouldn't need much persuading 
  • @Gardo I am fairly reliably informed that Leon's body is shot, at least as far as professional football is concerned. In any case it is not the solution we need to move the club forward. Potter needs to be backed in this and subsequent windows to sign his own players. The fact that he was so positive on Woods was a sign that he recognised the key deficiency in our squad. Unfortunately the fact that he was not supported by ownership was a sign that they know feck all about football.

lets see how January maps out - by the end of the month we will review all of the ins and outs and have a VERY good idea of our prospects moving forward. potter had so little time in the summer to influence things I don't believe he brought in the players that fit his vision. He has had some time to assess the squad and do some scouting, so we should see some of Potter's targets arrive (In the unlikely event he is backed, even modestly, by ownership)
  • Leon is signing for Llanelli with Trundle tomorrow
    Jackareme
  • No strong or serious new connections reported anywhere
    Newsnow gets most of the kites being flown by so called journalists and is currently saying
    - we have backed out of the bidding contest for Shankland because our £200k offer was refused
    - he's going to Rangers anyway
    - we are not signing Kamara of Dundee as he's going to Cardiff/ Derby/ Rangers/ Celtic ( take your pick )
    - Malmo player used to play at Ostersunds ( but is a first choice at Malmo so how serious is this?)
    -All quiet on Flanagan of Sunderland
    - Eastern Daily Press is reporting we may be interested in the expensive Nelson Oliveira of Norwich - looks just like the expensive J Ayew to me and why would we want any expensive player nowadays?

Back pocket of GP more productive place for journalists to look
    Meanwhile WBA sign Holgate from Everton
  • StephenR said:
    More clickbait crap from Alan Nixon
    Must have come from the same click bait crap that saw us linked with the same player in August
  • Frank Nouble has been seen driving around Pontardawe areas.
    JackaremeDarren
  • edited December 2018
    Everyone can save themselves a lot of stress and hand-wringing by working on the basis no new players of any decent standard will be coming in, and any half decent bids for the likes of Rodon, Roberts and James will be accepted. The Yanks will see any fee for an academy player as profit, even if less than market value.

Bony, Routledge, Dyer and Narsingh will also leave should anyone be willing to pay their wages in full. 

Certainly don't expect any decent incoming business to be done, it is simply not going to happen. 
    konnar
  • IF Nelson Oliviera turns up, we will instantly know, big nose,has stuck his big nose in yet again. 
    So yet more lies eminating from his big mouth. 
    So much for Potter overseeing all transfers 
  • Declan John signed last minute and hardly used by the manager seems to be one of those signings too
  • Potter was sold a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow to get him in through the door.

He was very close to resigning over the August window fiasco. He only stuck with it because he'd just uprooted his family. A repeat of that nonsense this month and next August, and we will not be so lucky. His work will not have gone unnoticed by many. 
  • All I see this window is loan signings. Players cost more in January window so sensible thing to do is loan players, see how they do and then make a bid for those that are good in the summer window. I think this window will still be all about restructuring the finances by moving high earners.

Next year our parachute payment drops another 10 million. So Routs, Bony, Fer & Olsson all out of contract in the summer will leave and cover that shortfall for next season, 100, 40, 40 and 30 thou a week amounts to approx 11 million in wages off the books when they leave. If we can get a few mil for any of them in January I'd take it.

The big worry for us is the drop of another 15 million in parachute money in season 3 and another 15 million less in season 4. With all the high earners gone how are we going to cope with that shortfall.

Interesting to note that every club in the Championship was running a loss last season with the vast majority running  at losses between 10 and 20 million a year. Those that were running 5 million or less losses were all at the bottom of the table fighting relegation and those running at 15 to 20 million loss per year were the top of the table teams
  • There is the possibility of moving Jordan and Andre for some decent bucks which would free up cash for next summer
  • Hope for the best, fear the worst in my books. As for Nelson Oliveira NO spells no. Didn’t he turn us down last time he was approached?
  • so if we are in for Oliveira  and i hope not, this would only reafirm H J still involved in  people coming in, we have been told we have a new recruitment team surely they can come up with a better option?
    For me still cannot see the owners opening purse strings until we lose  some one or 2 off the wage bill, andl this would be a good time to bring people in with a week after saturdays game before we play again, am a little concerned the if he does not get any support from the owners he will be looking else where in the summer no doubt and who could blame him?
    Mark_Jack_London
  • Pete said:
    so if we are in for Oliveira  and i hope not, this would only reafirm H J still involved in  people coming in, we have been told we have a new recruitment team surely they can come up with a better option?
    For me still cannot see the owners opening purse strings until we lose  some one or 2 off the wage bill, andl this would be a good time to bring people in with a week after saturdays game before we play again, am a little concerned the if he does not get any support from the owners he will be looking else where in the summer no doubt and who could blame him?
    looking elsewhere in the summer? Stoke will be looking for a new manager, sooner than later unless Rowett manages a miracle turnaround in form. 

GP played for Potters! Marketing matchup made in heaven.

So they better not buggar this up, by not backing him.
  • thats what i mean Mark, and rumor  has it he nearly walked over the Woods fiasco