Is Graham Potter playing a clever game?

Is GP playing clever mind games? In terms of performance, tactics and selection for the first half of the Wigan match was possibly the worst half of football I've witnessed in a long time. The question I ask is why make life hard for yourself when selecting team and tactics, playing players out of positions playing weaker players, why when he gets it right we are not a bad team.

Well, why? Could this all be because of the failure of the club to sign Ryan Woods in the summer it must have been a big kick in the guts for GP and would have indicated to him the direction the club money men were heading in. So he's now given the impression heading for mid table safety to a club not too sure of survival this season, forcing management to slacken the purse strings just in case we struggle to stay in this division ?

Comments

• So why does he keep saying " I prefer to concentrate on the players who are here" and " the squad is big enough - we have 27 or 28 players " etc?
  • I certainly think he's being clever in the sense of trying to make us as un-scoutable as possible. 

Let's be brutally honest about it, as much as we would all like him to settle on a preferred starting XI, we'd soon be found out. Any opposition scouts would quickly conclude:

Keeper - good shot stopper and distributor but not great on crosses 

Back 4 - not a lot of pace, and a rookie learning his trade at CB. Target him

Midfield - bereft, plenty of endeavour but very little quality and no obvious defensive shield. Just keep moving the ball around them and look for space in between the lines.

Attack - only one winger with end product, but double up on him, plus he'll only play 20 minutes anyway. All other wingers much of a muchness. No real striker of note - one is easily bullied, the other's crocked. 

I think the constant tinkering is designed to try and confuse the opposition and catch them out. It's the only way of giving us a bit of an edge.
  • But we lose the games anyway! Utter nonsense Gary. 
  • edited January 1
    What's your opinion then @MarkG?

Apart from chipping in every now and then to defend Fer and Jordan Ayew in the face of all available evidence of course.

You seem to me to be one of these people who has plenty to say about other people's opinions, but very little by way of your own.
  • I don't know why potter changes the team from week to week. I would like to know. I post my thoughts all the time but often get posters telling me I am talking bollocks. It's what happens on footvall forums. Sorry if I've offended you but your post was ridiculous. 
  • I get the impression he's looking for the players with a bit of extra energy 
  • blip said:
    Is GP playing clever mind games? In terms of performance, tactics and selection for the first half of the Wigan match was possibly the worst half of football I've witnessed in a long time. The question I ask is why make life hard for yourself when selecting team and tactics, playing players out of positions playing weaker players, why when he gets it right we are not a bad team.

Well, why? Could this all be because of the failure of the club to sign Ryan Woods in the summer it must have been a big kick in the guts for GP and would have indicated to him the direction the club money men were heading in. So he's now given the impression heading for mid table safety to a club not too sure of survival this season, forcing management to slacken the purse strings just in case we struggle to stay in this division ?
    No. Any manager who deliberately fielded a team that would perform badly in order to play political games (however worthy the outcome they were seeking) would deserve to be sacked for gross misconduct. I don't believe Potter would do something like that. I believe he genuinely tries his best and sometimes it does not come off.
    Wyn
  • Surely it’s in games v lower league teams that changes in tactics and rotating players when fixtures are coming thick and fast are the ideal games to make these changes.

Thankfully the team got themselves out of trouble v Wigan with a better 2nd half performance to share the points. The same can’t be said for Wigan manager Paul Cook who fielded only one change in the team that played us which lost 3-0 at home today v Sheffield. United.

The one thing is for sure is that Potter will have learned more about the capabilities of his playing squad in a first team fixture than he ever would on the training field.

72 hours later they put Reading to the sword on their own patch and we are still looking for excuses.FFS.

• Not sure if you are saying I am one of those looking for excuses, Colin. Reading were second from bottom before today’s game and deservedly so - under Clement they were woeful and the new manager has his work cut out rebuilding that squad. So putting them to the sword on their own ground isn’t that great an achievement. Particularly when you see the match stats. 

I think Potter got his squad selection spot on today, but he seemed afraid of using his subs when our supporters were crying out for him to bring on some fresh legs.
    Wyn
  • Montero, James and McKay were the outfield subs yesterday. Being speed merchants both Montero and James are susceptible to hamstring problems, more than most players in the squad so why risk them. Another game crops up in a couple of days, light training in the days ahead and hopefully both players will be able to start at Villa Park. Player management. As for McKay, who hasn't played since the Hull shocker, only Potter knows the answer. Perhaps he will start at Villa Park!!!
  • Where I was sat everyone was calling for Jeff to come on from the hour mark. He wouldn’t have actually needed to do much - the threat alone would have made them keep another midfielder back just in case. Fair point about the injury risk to Jeff and Dan. I suppose you could say the same for Nathan or Wayne given their age, the way they put themselves about and the treatment they received from the Reading players. Hard to single out one player but for me Wayne put in another MoM performance yesterday, closely followed by Oli.
  • Well done Cadleigh and Colin for taking a reasonable plausible question totally off subject ;)