FA Cup or PL?

We always had this question posed when we were in the PL, and most people picked PL survival to winning the Cup.

Now we are not chasing survival but promotion back, I wonder if opinions have changed?

While I would love us to get back to the so-called promised land, I dont  think this team is ready and would be hammered without serious investment - investment we know we wont get under the current owners.

I'd be happy for this young team to have a season learning, like Norwich did last, and Potter have another couple of windows to get the squad prepared.

So trying to win the FA Cup should be a major goal. That would shut up those **** up the road, with their caravan Twin Town jokes about pointy corner flags. 

Comments

• IMHO we're going nowhere this season - not up nor down. We are mid-table inconsistency writ large. So let's have a good cup run. I was encouraged by Potter's strong team selection yesterday. He obviously also sees our glory coming from the Cup this season. So who would we like in the next round? On the other board they're touting for Nooput Cwnty away. My feeling is, don't think so - they look pretty formidable at Dave Parade. I'd prefer them at our place. Bet there'd be a fantastic atmosphere - they'd pick up one or two Cardiff fans along the way I would think. Especially if it's against the Swans! They've got no other interest left in the Cup. Bye the way, brilliant result Newport! Many congratulations! That Semenya looks a player. Touch of class.
  • If Potter can put the same team out with the intensity and quality levels shown yesterday I'd take a cup run over promotion (which I don't see us getting unless we scrape into the play offs) 
  • I'd like a game at the Liberty, and not a Premier League one either.

a full strength team, with maximum commitment from us should beat most sides other than those.

Save the big teams for later. then we'll see where we are in our development.
  • For me PL survival was paramount as I would always worry if we go down when would we actually get back. Given who runs our club these days and their lack of ambition then a totally justifiable concern.

And TBH if we were genuinely fighting for promotion we would probably not have as many concerns about being in the PL next season as we would be equipping ourselves better than what we are now. We are a mid table team in transition. Don't let HJ tell you otherwise.
  • I would have taken one season in the Prem and winning the FA Cup, whilst it's been devalued over the last 20 years or so, it's the competition we grew up with.....winning it would be the best day out EVER, and I really mean  EVER :-)
  • FA Cup.  I said the same last year.  The joy of winning the League Cup at Wembley far outweighs scratching for survival points every week.
  • Its not a question that required. PL every day, and to those who say ,lets stay in Championship for a few years i say get a life guys! 
  • I think potter has set the tone now. We will go with our best team no matter. I agree that Newport at the liberty would be pretty special. 
  • Altho I do love the FA Cup... for me it's got to be PL... all day long... if we had kept to our philosophy and style... I truly believe we would still be there... I've never bought this... we're a small club and it was bound to happen sooner or later... no... it happened because HJ shit out and **** the club up...
    But I think we'll be in the Championship for a few years now... especially seeing how the owners are supporting the club.
    So the FA Cup is my choice for now. 
  • JoH said:
    For me PL survival was paramount as I would always worry if we go down when would we actually get back. Given who runs our club these days and their lack of ambition then a totally justifiable concern.

And TBH if we were genuinely fighting for promotion we would probably not have as many concerns about being in the PL next season as we would be equipping ourselves better than what we are now. We are a mid table team in transition. Don't let HJ tell you otherwise.
    Chucking money at it is not lack of ambition, we ploughed money into our academy system for years, we are now getting our rewards. We have to be sustainable and that's what the Americans are doing, we are now living within our means.
  • We always had this question posed when we were in the PL, and most people picked PL survival to winning the Cup.

Now we are not chasing survival but promotion back, I wonder if opinions have changed?

While I would love us to get back to the so-called promised land, I dont  think this team is ready and would be hammered without serious investment - investment we know we wont get under the current owners.

I'd be happy for this young team to have a season learning, like Norwich did last, and Potter have another couple of windows to get the squad prepared.

So trying to win the FA Cup should be a major goal. That would shut up those **** up the road, with their caravan Twin Town jokes about pointy corner flags. 

• Newport County home would be a great draw, wouldn’t fancy it at their place.

Hopefully it would generate  a bit more interest than the embarrassing turn out that we had v Spurs in the QUARTER final last season.

Law of averages would suggest that we are due a home draw 
  • jollyboy said:
    JoH said:
    For me PL survival was paramount as I would always worry if we go down when would we actually get back. Given who runs our club these days and their lack of ambition then a totally justifiable concern.

Chucking money at it is not lack of ambition, we ploughed money into our academy system for years, we are now getting our rewards. We have to be sustainable and that's what the Americans are doing, we are now living within our means.
    Who said anything about chucking money at it? And the academy was in place before the hedge fund types took over - Jenkins does indeed deserve credit for this.

For me it's all about striking the right balance - promoting the the ranks and sensible investment, not no investment which is what we currently have.
    enaitch
  • We are not that far off being a play off team. Swanselona was only in little patches 1st quarter of the season. We are now playing Swanselona for most of the game in most of the games in the second quarter. Blips like Rotherham, Ipswich aside we would be in play off contention and continuing to improve as the season progresses.

We lost circa 50m in revenue. 1st order of business had to be to cover that. Stoke and WBA will be in big doo doo if they do not make it back up inside 2 years.

Only way investment can be made is loans which take us the down the path of potentially being bankrupted if we dont go back up and we have to be aware of the FFP rules. QPR got slammed with approx 47m fine for their owner throwing money into the club as loans this summer
  • Well we shipped out almost out entire 1st team from last season so that must have gone a long way to cover that. And what's happening to the parachute money going? Probably still paying off that ridiculous Clucas fee.

New investment has never been on the menu, no matter how small.
  • Football is a game of sport a professional game and watched by hard working fans on a sat afternoon who meet up with pals have a chat and a few pints and enjoy . Well it was until the souls of clubs were sold to businessmen who want to make a fast buck . There’s a few on here probably can’t understand how the game used to be when no one cared about profit and loss and just wanted to watch their local team . But now the conversations are all about money or lack of it the actual game has long been forgotten sad times indeed . Let’s not forget It’s only a game
  • Happy with that . Should be winning that as well just watch out for mammoth striker Tom Eaves. He's literally 9 foot tall..
  • Tom Eaves 6’5”, Joe Rodon 6’4”, Mike VdH 6’3”
  • simple. play keep ball and he cant use his height to cause any bother!

• The more pertinent question to ask is how badly a cup run might derail our season, in a league where we're only 4 bad results away from being dragged into the mire.

Nope, not for me at all. I'd rather us not risk a double relegation thanks very much.
  • We're not going down! Fear not Gary. Enjoy our season and enjoy a good cup run. We had lots of seasons worrying about relegation, this is not one. 
    Jackareme
  • MarkG said:
    We're not going down! Fear not Gary. Enjoy our season and enjoy a good cup run. We had lots of seasons worrying about relegation, this is not one. 
    Far too blasé for my liking Mark, but each to their own.
  • we cannot take our eye off it, or be complacent, as we will get dragged into a very uncomfortable position, that is 100% correct. 
  • MarkG said:
    We're not going down! Fear not Gary. Enjoy our season and enjoy a good cup run. We had lots of seasons worrying about relegation, this is not one. 
    Far too blasé for my liking Mark, but each to their own.
    In the past 3 seasons Championship survival has averaged around the 50 point mark (last year a team survived with only 43). 
    Realistically we need 15-16 additional points from 20 games to be safe. Despite our limitations (and there are many) I have zero concerns over relegation. Agreed about complacency - BUT We should absolutely double down on the FA Cup this year. 
  • agreed. If this team, and these players want to be successful, then is there is no reason, barring injuries or stupid sales of key players and no replacements, why we should not be trying to win every game, and targeting a good cup run and a more consistency in the League.