Jenkins gone

edited February 2 in Swansea City

Breaking News from BBC Wales:

Huw Jenkins has stepped down as chairman of Championship club Swansea City.

Jenkins was appointed chairman in January 2002 and oversaw a huge reversal in fortunes.

The club almost dropped out of the Football League in 2003 before rising up the divisions to win Premier League promotion in 2011.

"It comes with great sadness but I feel I've been left with little or no option [but] to leave my position," he said.

But Jenkins has been criticised by some Swansea supporters since the takeover of the club in 2016 by American pair Jason Levien and Steve Kaplan,

Calls for him to step down intensified since the club's relegation to the Championship last season.

On Saturday, Swansea City Supporters' Trust criticised the club's owners for lacking ambition and called for Jenkins to stand down.

It came in the wake of a January transfer window in which the club lost further players and made no signings.

"Swansea City has been a massive part of my life from a very young age," Jenkins added.

"I have been very fortunate to fulfill my childhood dreams over the last 17 years or so providing direction andl at the club whilst moving through the football leagues and competing with the elite of British football in the Premier league for seven seasons.

" Gradually over the last few seasons my role as Chairman providing such leadership and direction has been eroded away.

"Finally I can sit back no longer and hide behind my position and stay true to myself and my beliefs."

Comments