Match Discussion: Swans v Millwall - Championship 2018/19

2»

Comments

• Going on the opinion of those who are more knowledgeable than myself with the under 23’s I would say that, in the scheme of things, up front he would be 3rd choice behind McBurnie and a new signing to press Oli for a starting spot. At the moment it looks as though Asoro, McKay and CBR will be on the fringes at the start of next season should the transfer window produce some fresh blood.
  • deekay said:
    SeaJack

Unfortunately, anyone who has watched CBR in the u23's would confirm that yesterday was a typical performance from him.
    I am very much in agreement with deekay, seen quite a bit of him at Landore for the U23's. Even at U23 level, for a big man he struggles with his hold up play, is not particularly mobile, is not a natural goalscorer and the surprising aspect is that he has almost scored as many goals for the first team as he has for the U23's. The bottom line however is that Potter obviously feels he can work with him and hence his contract extension.
  • He certainly will have his work cut out, to make a centre forward out of CBR. 
    He doesn’t seem to have anything going for him, not much strength, poor first touch, not that fast, doesn’t seem to compete that well in the air, don’t think he had a shot yesterday. 
    I hope your right in your assumptions, and I hope Potter really can use his magic wand, to turn him into a striker. 
    All I can say at the moment is, God help us if Oli gets injured. 
    mad_mike
  • J4cka said:
    He certainly will have his work cut out, to make a centre forward out of CBR. 
    He doesn’t seem to have anything going for him, not much strength, poor first touch, not that fast, doesn’t seem to compete that well in the air, don’t think he had a shot yesterday. 
    I hope your right in your assumptions, and I hope Potter really can use his magic wand, to turn him into a striker. 
    I'm afraid I agree.

Garrick looks a better prospect to me.
  • Is it safe to assume that GP had a say in the decision to extend the contract. The same question applies to the decision to extend Biabi's recent extension. Biabi makes CBR look like Messi !
  • barry said:
    J4cka said:
    He certainly will have his work cut out, to make a centre forward out of CBR. 
    I'm afraid I agree.

Garrick looks a better prospect to me.
    Garrick is a totally different type of striker to B-Richardson
  • lots of willing, effort and commitment from CBR.

highlighted by one run back into defence after he'd taken a heavy knock and was on his haunches. Defended well at set pieces, too.

Made some nice runs in attack, showing a bit more intelligence than previously seen, and stretched their CBs when the right ball was played.

but he lacks quality. he has a very poor first touch. and his distribution has miles to go before he can be considered at this level as anything more than a bit part. and let's not talk about his finishing - even though Celina's is not much better, and who took a left foot swipe at a ball set up beautifully for CBR to hit a right foot across the keeper, in the 2nd half.

• deekay said:
    Is it safe to assume that GP had a say in the decision to extend the contract. The same question applies to the decision to extend Biabi's recent extension. Biabi makes CBR look like Messi !
    In all honesty I don't think there is anything between Biabi and B-Richardson, both struggling to score consistently at U23 level while both players have deficiencies in their game, while Biabi struggled to get games at Hamilton last season.

No doubt a deliberate move from the club to announce new contract deals last week for Cabango, Lewis and Berry in view of what had gone on before the window closed, but whereas Cabango and Lewis were deals that were welcoming for their future development, the deals offered to Biabi and B-Richardson are extremely questionable for me. Hopefully a new deal for Aaron Lewis will be forthcoming soon.

• Colin

No argument from me on that one. With that in mind, I find it difficult to accept that GP would want to keep them both. The only reason I can see is that the u23's would not have a recognised striker in that mould for next season as both were out of contract this summer. Can you see any other reason for keeping them both ?
  • deekay said:
    Colin

No argument from me on that one. With that in mind, I find it difficult to accept that GP would want to keep them both. The only reason I can see is that the u23's would not have a recognised striker in that mould for next season as both were out of contract this summer. Can you see any other reason for keeping them both ?
    Not really as I think even their ages are going against them. Biabi will be 23 in March while B-Richardson is 24 next December. Surely neither of these players should be nowhere near the U23 set-up next season. 
    Unless Potter feels he can 'polish' either player up to a better standard, surely, now that Jenkins has gone, it will be the ideal time for scout Macaulay to look at the myriad of footballers at the end of their contract in May who are of the same, or better standard as Biabi and B-Richardson, and most importantly, bring in players who are 'hungry' for the opportunity. 
    For me, by giving contracts to Biabi and B-R all it tells me at the moment is that either player at best will be a 1st team's third striker.
    Jackareme
  • More stupid contract extensions, for yet more duds. I hope GP sees something different from the rest of us. 
  • So Colin, do you think this is a GP decision, or are there other forces involved ? I could just about understand one of them getting a contract, but not both.
  • I cant see how these contracts were not all ready to rock n roll before Jenkins left.

you dont just magic one of these up in a week.

Potter must either think he can get a tune out of CBR.

Or they think by giving him the extension, they protect themselves to get some sort of transfer fee for him in the summer, as he was out of contract then.
  • deekay,
    you are about as flummoxed as I am but Potter appears to like B-R. Biabi is a puzzle. One thing they both have in common though is that they come cheap!!

deekay
  • Only seen CBR play once live, in a pre-season friendly at Truro City , last July.

He was subbed early in the second half after making little or no headway in the Truro half.

The only thing of any note I can remember him doing was strolling back, shirt off, from the changing room with a drink in his hand.

I am quite surprised that he has scored for us in the Championship.

• Thank god we haven’t given him a contract extension. 
    Oh dear, we already have.