Arabs

Jenkins talking to wealthy Arabs. To buy club. 
Surely a load of nonsense by the press.

Comments

• Jenkins interview this week. I will not be at the Liberty for a long time so yes bs from the Sun

I'd love it to be true though. Even if by some remote longshot it was then by the time they buy the club Kaplan & Levien will have sold any player of value
  • I heard it was Sheik RattleandRoll. 
    SeaJackWebmaster
  • Thought it was Sheik YankMyChain
  • I thought it was sheikmydick...
  • All BS aside, are we happy to swap Americans with a questionable knowledge of the game, with no transparency on what their intentions for the club are, for alternative owners with questionable human rights history?

Neither sits well with me, for very different reasons.
    SeaJack
  • All BS aside, are we happy to swap Americans with a questionable knowledge of the game, with no transparency on what their intentions for the club are, for alternative owners with questionable human rights history?

Careful @Mark_Jack_London - while I agree with you on the whole not EVERY Arab has a questionable human rights record. There are awesome Arabs the same as every other race.
  • The ones with money and power, I speak of Jackareme, which should have been obvious, as the ordinary man or woman would not be buying a football club FFS! 

So dont try and make that comment be something it is not. That's from the Cadleigh playbook, and didnt have you down for that kind of BS!

Qatar still has not addressed immigrant workers building the world cup stadiums, plus others, who have passports taken off them, and more.

UAE the same.

Saudi Arabia. Do we need to mention more about Khashoggi? Or Rahaf Mohammed Alqunun?

Bahrain and footballer Hakeem al-Araibi?
  • My thoughts on Arabian owners echo yours MJL. Their human rights record is dubious to say the least.
  • edited February 10
    So I guess the both of you will not be watching the World Cup in 2022?
  • Not going to happen so it's academic
  • So what’s everyone’s ethics, on being sponsored by a betting company ?
  • SeaJack said:
    My thoughts on Arabian owners echo yours MJL. Their human rights record is dubious to say the least.
    Take any takeover talks with a pinch of salt. Jenkins is rattled and too be fair most of the press have questioned his role in player recruitment. 
  • I will be watching the World Cup as it happens. Hypocrite as I am I also don’t agree with it being held there on account of the controversial selection process which led to the successful bid. What are your thoughts on both the World Cup location and the prospect of Arabian owners with HJ leading the charge?
  • Does anyone have details about the interested party? I think saying you might not like Arabs running our club on ethical lines is a bit of a sweeping statement to say the least. 
  • I hope HJ house gets infested by a thousand fleas from  a camels backside  :D
    Mark_Jack_London
  • J4cka said:
    So what’s everyone’s ethics, on being sponsored by a betting company ?
    I have issues with it. 

Betting is becoming a bigger and bigger issue - and I know there is someone - enaitch? who works in the industry and will refute it. 

If it wasn't a problem, then why did they agree to these curbs, before Christmas?

https://news.sky.com/story/gambling-companies-agree-to-ban-on-betting-ads-on-tv-during-live-sport-11579737

• The betting company ads and sponsorship is something that I have become more acutely aware of more recently. I have noticed it is more in your face than it used to be and the ads themselves have changed considerably by my recollection. They are more sleek and targeted very obviously at men who when watching these ads are being sold a lifestyle which is fantastical and desirable and would only be attainable with a winning streak the length of your arm. It masks the true reality of what betting can lead to. The consequences are casually referred to by the supposed warning, “once the fun stops stop”. This doesn’t even cover it and the bulk content of the ads themselves have already painted a rosy picture of wealth, health and happiness in no uncertain terms. One slogan I remember which sends this resounding message is “Loyalty Wins”. It has geared the punter up to think of himself as a winner without question. It’s like saying you’re a winner with us. You can call me a killjoy but I have issue with these ads as much as I did with the cigarette ads which have been banned for many years now. Gambling is an addiction like any other and these powerful ad campaigns are part of the problem.
    Wyn
  • SeaJack:
    Couldnt agree more. I can’t believe the government hasn’t banned them all from TV. I know it’ll never happen though, because the betting industry has too many fingers in the tax pie. 
    Never mind we’ve got a nice big sponsorship deal  out of it, so that’s ok isn’t it????
    Wyn

We were a busted flush under the old regime, Jenkins says we had a £13m overdraft at one stage and I'm sure he had many sleepless nights. The Americans do have more clout but have said they are no sugar daddies IS THAT WHAT WE WANT? Sustainable growth is the best way forward.
    The old model was unworkable, we spent more than we brought in, people like Martin Morgan and Brian Katzen wanted to put more in but the set up on the non existent SHA wouldn't allow them too and smaller shareholders, the Trust included, didn't want to see their shareholding drop.
    I doubt if HJ wants anything to do with the club ATM, he may change in time but for now, I not going to believe an article in the Sun.
    JackDragon
  • Anyone who has worked in the Middle East will tell you their human rights policy has changed dramatically over the last 50 years and more significantly in the last 20.
    I have worked in most of the Gulf states and the UAE and Qatar in the last 10 years and can tell you their camp site for Indian, Pakistan, Chinese, Vietnamese workers are some of the best I have seen, the food and hygiene is second to none, with cinemas and shops at prices they can afford.
    Yes culturally its different but there are no muggings, gun or knife crime on the streets, yet theft has increased in the last ten years since the arrival of East Europeans, mostly Russian which may or may not be the cause.
    Apart from KSA all women can walk around in western clothing, swim in bikinis and frequent bars where alcohol  is served, yet behaving badly if intoxicated is frowned upon.
    As for the scandal over Qatar, its no different to South Africa's bid, who's human rights are still questioned, Russia got it who are the most corrupt and violent of nations, yet the Chelsea owner does actually love football.
    The Arabs love football, they crave success, they want to be the best, yes they have some bad policies, they have some bad eggs but none more than anyone else.
    I for one would welcome any Arab who had a passion for football, invested in our club and surround himself with football people not people who see football as a way to make money, but success as the motivation.  
    Sawaris who has taken a controlling share in Aston Villa loves football, money is not his motivation, he has more than most clubs put together, he want Villa to play good football and win things, he has moved some of Oracoms business to the UK and created jobs.
    We don't want Americans in football, they have proved they cannot do it, football wise and strip the identity of all clubs they have been associated with, M United being the only exception    
  • you are forgetting Liverpool, Phillip, who 100% still have their identity - shattering their record for pre-tax profit in their latest accounts and have a real chance of winning their first Premier League title.

And, unlike Man Utd, did not buy into the club on a leveraged buy out.

THEY are the exception to the rule, in my book. 

As for the Gulf states. Yes, there have been some great improvements. But they have a long way to go, with Amnesty International still reporting many HR violations like unfairly detaining human rights defenders, executing Shi'a activists and women are still facing "systemic discrimination" both in law and in practice. They 

But you are right. They arent the only ones. Russia and China, the other two big investors in football have equally uncomfortable records.

I'd prefer we looked at an owner like the Srivaddhanaprabhas.
  • Just seen two ARABS on horseback passing the LIBERTY. Two white horses, look out for them, u cannot miss them. LOL
    Mark_Jack_London
  • But we are still talking about sugar daddy's, is that what we want or do we want to be self sustainable, ie live within our means because that is exactly how we are operating at the moment, Dan James would have been a bitter pill but it was money that was needed to prop up mistakes of the past few windows, we couldn't continue with the old regime and I'd be just as happy for the Americans to sell up and leave but what they are not doing is loading us with debt and that has to be appreciated.
    I'm sure they would consider an offer but surely, they'd want half back?, outlay £70m, they may take £35m (guess) I'm told there is a board meeting later, maybe it'll be discussed? and one final point, HJ has resigned as chairman, as far as I'm aware, he's still a director, it could be an interesting meeting if he turns up.
  •  :|... oO( all this talk of human rights... have you seen the latest UN report on this country? ) 
  • The ones with money and power, I speak of Jackareme, which should have been obvious, as the ordinary man or woman would not be buying a football club FFS! 

So dont try and make that comment be something it is not. That's from the Cadleigh playbook, and didnt have you down for that kind of BS!

Qatar still has not addressed immigrant workers building the world cup stadiums, plus others, who have passports taken off them, and more.

UAE the same.

Saudi Arabia. Do we need to mention more about Khashoggi? Or Rahaf Mohammed Alqunun?

I stand by my comments @Mark_Jack_London - I have worked with many fantastic and well principled Arabs over the years (and ones with tons of cash too). Generalisation about any race is from the Trump playbook. We can all point to individuals of every ethnicity that are dubious even heinous. Due diligence is the crucial piece - where we plainly failed with the Americans.

barryMark_Jack_London
  • “where we plainly failed with the Americans.”

That would be HJ & his crew who also failed to undertake due diligence with the first Yanks who came crawling for easy pickings.

Do you honestly think Jenkins is going to do any checks on potential Arab investors should the rumor carry any weight?
  • You are right DubDragon. Obviously the UK has not come up smelling of roses in that report. It is a damning indictment of those currently in power. It is a tricky one to negotiate in terms of what owner or owners would be to everyones’ satisfaction. Unfortunately we have no control over any due diligence that the American owners would employ if any. All we can do is cross our fingers that when they do hand over to someone else that it won’t sink the club still further into the mire and that they are to most of the fans’ satisfaction.
    DubDragon
  • you are forgetting Liverpool, Phillip, who 100% still have their identity - shattering their record for pre-tax profit in their latest accounts and have a real chance of winning their first Premier League title.

And, unlike Man Utd, did not buy into the club on a leveraged buy out.

THEY are the exception to the rule, in my book. 

As for the Gulf states. Yes, there have been some great improvements. But they have a long way to go, with Amnesty International still reporting many HR violations like unfairly detaining human rights defenders, executing Shi'a activists and women are still facing "systemic discrimination" both in law and in practice. They 

But you are right. They arent the only ones. Russia and China, the other two big investors in football have equally uncomfortable records.

I'd prefer we looked at an owner like the Srivaddhanaprabhas.
    The difference with Liverpool and Man Utd, their owners invested their money to get the rewards, ours are a completely different bunch altogether even in the US they flip from one team to another, getting investors to pay their slice, make a profit and move on.
    As some state we don't need a sugar daddy, well yes we do, it seems that only the rich owners can sustain life in the top flight, many have had so called investors and once the riches come in from TV, they all end up the same way, Blackburn, AV, Bolton, to name but a few.
    Living in the championship is much easier, the wages are lower and many can survive on season ticket sales, we couldn't as 14,000 would only raise 8M but the TV money isn't too bad so we could quite easily survive. promotion is a huge cost in the first year as teams without rich owners have to borrow for players until the TV comes in.
    We were the exception until 2014, we had managers who got gems for next to FA, unfortunately Champagne Charlie with lemonade pockets thought he could do it, he couldn't ,now he is champagne Charlie, we haven't got any pockets.
    Give me a rich Arab any day, as long as his passion is football because money will not be on his agenda
  • Jackareme said:
    The ones with money and power, I speak of Jackareme, which should have been obvious, as the ordinary man or woman would not be buying a football club FFS! 

UAE the same.

I stand by my comments @Mark_Jack_London - I have worked with many fantastic and well principled Arabs over the years (and ones with tons of cash too). Generalisation about any race is from the Trump playbook. We can all point to individuals of every ethnicity that are dubious even heinous. Due diligence is the crucial piece - where we plainly failed with the Americans.

so you are calling me a racist, are you?