Match Discussion: Norwich City v Swans - Championship 2018/19

edited March 10 in Swansea City
This is the place to discuss all things related to the Norwich City v Swans - Championship game on Friday 8 March 2019 at 7:45pm.

The game will be shown live on Sky Sports Football
Share your pre and post match thoughts, views on Graham Potter's pre or post match comments, team selection and score prediction!

The referee for the game is Robert Jones.

If you are going to the game have a read of our Travelling Jacks Guide to Carrow Road the home of Norwich City.

Take a look at the Norwich City v Swansea City Head to Head stats between the sides at Carrow Road.

Comments

• The start of 3 very difficult games for us. However all the pressue is on Norwich with them going for automatic promotion. 
  • edited March 8

Socks must be injured.

Routs as false 9?

• Must be, not even on the bench
  • Martyn said:
    Must be, not even on the bench
    Graham Potter is forced into one change following the 2-0 victory over nine-man Bolton last time out - Bersant Celina replaces Oli McBurnie, who misses out due to illness.
  • Usually there’s seven subs ???
  • Enaitch apparently we only got enough for 6.
  • So we are daft enough to travel without one player spare in case of injury in the warm up
    Damn big spenders those Yanks
  • edited March 8
    Naughts at LB. Dan at CF.

Pressing really high. VG start.

5 attempts 3 on target versus nil for Norwich.
  • Anyone needing a quality stream....
    ripple.is
    showing the game

• Sorry but it is ridiculous not taking an extra man in case of a late withdrawal. To have only 6 subs is embarrassing.
  • Sorry but it is ridiculous not taking an extra man in case of a late withdrawal. To have only 6 subs is embarrassing.

That’s how much we r scraping the barrel with thes owners, and will b worse, after the summer sell out. They r bastewards. 

• 0-0 HT

Great first half and looked the better side. Hopefully can keep the energy up for the second half.

5 attempts on target versus 0 for Norwich. Should be ahead.
  • Ollie was named on the bench but withdrew sick at the last minute/hour that's why we only have six on the bench. Once you have handed in your team you can't add a player to replace Ollie I believe. I would have to look back at the match where Alfie pulled up in the ten minutes before kick off. My guess is we could add a new 7th man to the bench
  • typo could not add a new 7th man
  • Played some decent stuff there but think the second half will be tougher, Norwich score late frequently to win games so that stat will need to change.
  • barry said:
    0-0 HT

Great first half and looked the better side. Hopefully can keep the energy up for the second half.

5 attempts on target versus 0 for Norwich. Should be ahead.
    barry, normally if we play good in the first half, or vise versa, we get a bad half, one or the other, so fingers crossed we play as good as we have played in the first half. In the second half, fingers crossed. STID 
  • Thanks @barry. I'm stuck listening to a talk on Cherbourg Harbour. Looking at the stats feels like we should be ahead although if you read the BBC live text you'd think Norwich have been unstoppable.
  • Should we consider taking Ollie to the Doctors? Or are we trying to save a few bob on prescription costs? :scream: 
    Meanwhile - that was a great first half by the Swans - some of the best football I have seen for a few years. I fear a canaries 2nd half backlash - but our young team have certainly showed the Nation that we can play!
  • Is this a rehearsal for Citeh?
  • Gollox.

1-0 with first attempt on target. Great shot.
  • GOAL! NORWICH 1-0 SWANSEA (Buendia, 54)

Norwich have been nowhere near their best, but that is a goal right out of the top drawer from Emi Buendia!

Credit has to go to Onel Hernandez, who draws the Swansea backline away from his team-mate and then proceeds to slide a simple ball to Buendia. He takes one touch and then fires an absolute rocket with his left boot to open the scoring!.

Don’t these ppl give us credit, we have just made them struggle. FFS 

• Total lack of firepower tonight, a shame as we have passed the ball well. We can't afford to miss Ollie sadly. 
  • Not sure I like the ref. How can you have 26 fouls and 1 yellow card? Either the ref is pedantic or very casual.
  • Wow - great performance, but was there ever clearer evidence of the negligence in the assembly of our squad. Without Ollie we had to try all of the wingers in turn and eventually CBR whose second touch is a tackle and looks totally out of his depth. Enjoyed our football, and we are not far off being VERY competitive. However, this is because of Potter and the remaining players NOT the off field team that has "led" our transfer window approach.
  • NickF
    Totally agree ref a homer.  Hernandez dive no yellow - pull back on James no yellow - McLean constant fouling throughout no yellow. To add to the injustice Mc(foul)Lean draws a yellow.

Only other point on the game how can we expect to win/draw without any recognised striker (if we have one)?
  • Very impressed with our first half. Made them look 2nd best.  We then Do our normal thing.   the opposition counteract our system, we don’t respond, they start to boss the game, they score, and then we bring on the worst 3 subs you could hope for. Mckay CBR And Dj. That’s what u get, when u do feck all in the transfer market, because  ur skint. 
    Oh for a back up CF of any decent class. 
    CBR is senior league at best, and he’s been rewarded with a years extended contract!
    He must have been on peanuts in the first place, so extending his contract has cost The Yanks feck all, and hey, as far as they are concerned, we’ve got a “back up” striker. 
    Potter must be tearing his hair out. 
  • Sweet as a nut in first half they were chasing our shadows, and it took an unstoppable one for them to score.We are thin on the ground but GP got an excellent performance from them.Credit to the whole team.
    Pablo
  • NickF
    Totally agree ref a homer.  Hernandez dive no yellow - pull back on James no yellow - McLean constant fouling throughout no yellow. To add to the injustice Mc(foul)Lean draws a yellow.

Only other point on the game how can we expect to win/draw without any recognised striker (if we have one)?
    The ref was exactly what you get away from home in the Championship. He was not the reason we lost. That was entirely due to us having a squad with one recognised striker who has run himself into the ground, and we have no plan B. I enjoy this division a lot, and it would be only 3-4 players recruited to make us a real force. if Norwich and Leeds are the best that this division has, then our young players could be challenging with another year of development under Potter and very modest recruitment.
    Pablo
  • edited March 8
    Well, what do you say?
    What game some have been watching by the comments I do not know!!!
    The Swans have played some good entertaining football this season, and some awful crap too.
    Tonight was generally CRAP.

Good first half from the back to midfield, but absolutely nothing up front.

Second half abysmal compared to first half.
    Poor passing and no threat.
    Cannot tackle and some players should just give up calling themselves footballers, my grandson can do better, with effort and quality.
    Good goal for them which Nordfeldt could do nothing about, but the reality is, the danger should have been cleared before the shot.

Norwich being top, shows how wide the gulf is between the Championship and the Premier League.
    Most of the game they looked very average.

Had The Swans any decent players left instead of the almighty culling they have had they could have possibly swept the Championship aside, at first attempt.

Disappointing unexciting game of football tonight for me. The Swans have played so much better.
    Didn't really look a threat to score all night.
    No Plan B.
    For me, no man of the match, as none of them were good enough tonight.

WBA, like many of the teams in the championship, mostly look average. So I hope The Swans can perform better on Wednesday.

The Americans have a lot to answer for. The Swans could have been out of the Championship at first attempt.

As for Man City if The Swans play like they did tonight then get the calculators out for Man City goal count.

Signed off
    Greatly Disappointed.

JackaremePabloNorfolkJack
  • Jackareme
    I hope you don't think I was blaming the re for our defeat, we all know why we aren't better ...........the Yanks.

And yes the standard of officials is dire.  The year before Brendan took us up I came away from games tearing my hair out (not much left now).  As an exile my games are nearly always away and I constantly suffer. 

To labour the point my son in law is a Blade  and he couldn't understand why in one game at Bramall Lane we didn't have 2 pens.... I pointed out we had THREE turned down. 

On reflection are they any better in the premier league?  I'd rather have poor VAR then Mike (Jasper Carrot) Dean and pals.
    Jackareme