Match Discussion: Swans v Manchester City - FA Cup Quarter Final 2018/19

edited March 17 in Swansea City
This is the place to discuss all things related to the Swans v Manchester City - FA Cup Quarter Final game on Saturday 16th March 2019 (5:20pm).

The game is being shown live on BT Sport.

Share your pre and post match thoughts, views on Graham Potter's pre or post match comments, team selection and score prediction!

The referee for the game is Andre Marriner.

Comments

• 6-0 up and counting versus Schalke.

Will obviously be overconfident against us !!!

1-0 Swans
    Joe90
  • I am officially very scared about Saturday!
  • it is seven nil now  :scream:
    Even more overconfident !!

In other news Ronaldo scores a hatrick to KO Atletico.
  • And even more news according to bbc sport McBurnie a forward from Barnsley has been picked for the Scotland team
  • If only we could hit the surrender button now!  Gonna be a massacre 
  • They lost to Wigan last season.  No reason we can't do the same. 
  • Well if we do no worse than Newport we will have done OK
    Citeh beat Chelsea 6-0 after all
    I just want us to get in their faces and not sit off
    The score is secondary to the performance
    Some years back div 4 Swans lost to div 1 Leeds 2-1after Allan Clarke dived to get Mel Nurse sent off when they Couldn't break us down at 1-0 (to us) and we were tackling like demons
    Next league match at the Vetch we started like we were still playing Leeds
    That's what we want out of Saturday isn't it?
    Jackareme
  • Swans 0. Man C.4 for me, They will take pity on us. 
  • Face it, we won’t get anything from this one, not with our threadbare squad.

Citeh will take an early opener, effectively  killing the game off before we can even pass the ball sideways a million times.

Super Swans.
  • Joe90 said:
    Face it, we won’t get anything from this one, not with our threadbare squad.

Citeh will take an early opener, effectively  killing the game off before we can even pass the ball sideways a million times.

Super Swans.
    better not go then, stay in and watch the tv. FFS
  • poor boy, that will stay up now forever... 
  • Joe90 said:

Super Swans.
    I wouldn’t watch that shit we play, even on TV. Pass hit square, pass it back. FFS 
  • Joe90 said:

Super Swans.
    I don’t think I’ll even bother watching it on tv, such is my lack of faith in the team right now.

Super Swans.
  • Joe90 said:
    Joe90 said:

Super Swans.
    I don’t think I’ll even bother watching it on tv, such is my lack of faith in the team right now.

Super Swans.
    Joe90,
    there’s been far worse teams than this season’s. Just pray that the squad doesn’t get weaker
  • While I don't expect Citeh to put the '1st team out' they'll still be horrendously strong and unfortunately we won't be able to keep them at bay

I'd love to see us with a clean sheet after 30 though
  • SVJack said:

I'd love to see us with a clean sheet after 30 though
    Seconds?
    Mark_Jack_LondonArch_Stanton
  • We now have one thing in our favour for tomorrows game.
    It could possibly turn into a lottery thanks to forces beyond anyone's control.
    The weather forecasts very heavy rain and gale force winds.
    Not that City are only glamour players but can also adapt but you never know. 
    Against Newport the weather wasn't great and the pitch terrible and it took them ages to break them down.
    Clutching at straws, yes, failing a miracle keeping the score under 6 wouldn't be that bad  
  • keep clutching at straws...I am! 

Any kind of result that doesn't result in a complete shooing is +ve in my view!

The last thing this young team needs right now is to be taken to the cleaners. 
  • the quality of the pitch is the deciding factor especially when playing against a close passing outfit like City whilst the tiresome chasing of the ball against quality individuals will be a dominant factor. What can't be guaranteed from our players however is the pride in wearing the shirt besides knowing full well that very good individual performances could well see one or two offered a PL chance next season. All to play for for our players really!!!
  • I am not sure but I think in the PL we were never really trounced by them,but things were different then and must admit to feeling nervous about this one.As MJL says our young team just doesn't need a thumping at the moment.
    I'm  sure though that they will give it 100% for us and obviously themselves.
  • Last season was our heaviest loss(0-4) at home against City
  • So confident am I of the result tomorrow that I would consider a bet of £1000 on a Man City win at 1 to 8 odds with BetFred. Clearly, I would not place a bet against my own team but I think this is a no-brainer. Easiest £125 ever.

I doubt they will humiliate us, just get a 2-0 cushion by half time and use the second half as a training session.

If we did happen to pull one back, very unlikely unless they play a team of almost all reserves, they would just step up the gas again. I don't think there will be too many regular first teamers ,eg  Sterling, Silva  on the pitch tomorrow. In effect we have little choice as all our so called reserves are already on the pitch each week.

Sad that we were ,in theory, competing with  them on equal terms last season. Just shows how rapidly things can unravel in the football world with out any support from the owners.

Our only real chance is if I did place that bet, then watch out- we would probably put away at least two penalties and they would have a couple of players sent off in the first half.

• they seldom use these games as a training session.

When they are so far on top, they tend to put side to the sword.

7 against Schalke
    6 vs Chelsea
    5 nil Burnley twice
    9 against Burton
    7 vs Rotherham
    6 against Shakhtar
    6 at home to Southampton
    5 away at Cardiff
    6 against Huddersfield

Thankfully, the only side they have thumped by 5 or more so far this season is Cardiff.

All the other big scores have been at home

• I just hope we go out and play the style to which we have just become re-accustomed. 

I want the same formation and not play 5 at the back because it will mean the players have to adjust and it's already been shown a few times this season that it doesn't work for us, and we end up going back to a 4-man defence half way through.

I can take a tonking against Man City by playing our type of game and if we just go for it - but not if we try to play defensively and get doubly unstuck because it doesn't suit us.

Jackareme
  • Well lets get the positive vibes going on here shall we.

After hopefully watching out here in Dubai, a Wales Grand Slam against Ireland:

Onto The big Game of the Day:

Anything is possible in Football and I will for all my frustrations of the last 2 games, be watching and shouting at the tv screen.
    Wishing for:
    The ref (Andre Mariner) to have a decent time controlling the match being fair to both teams. Bias towards The Swans will be accepted if at all possible.
    Graham Potter not to have the team play defensively.
    McBurnie on the bench at least.
    Daniel James and Celina to score the winning goals or any Swans player for that matter.

Accept nothing till the final result and hope The Swans put on a good show.

The jack Army being our 12th man well and truly heard by all for 90+ minutes.

It ain't over till the fat lady sings

C'mon You Swans
    STID
  • Commentators always say that when without Fernandinho Citeh are not as good. He is out of todays game as is De Bruyne so we wont have to worry about hin spraying balls around our box and his shooting capability. Nevertheless they are still a great time even with those absentees
  • I have a good feeling about today...it could be something to do with the 2 cans I have been drinking while watching Wales get half way to the Grand Slam, from the safety of my sofa...but...
  • edited March 16

Persisting with Nordfeldt.

Fulton in with Naughts injured and Grimes at LB?