Match Discussion: Swans U23s v Aston Villa U23s - Premier League Cup - 2018/19

edited March 17 in Swansea City
The Swans Under-23s host Aston Villa in the Premier League Cup this evening at Landore (7pm) as they target a place in the last 16 of the competition.

The U23s game will be shown live on the Swans Official website from 7pm this evening.

Comments

• Due to unforeseen circumstances, this evening's tie has been delayed until further notice.
  • I know Colin has said he doesnt think Garrick is a 9, but I think he has a finish on him, it is something he can grow into, if given more opportunity as a striker. 

He's got the pace, strength and finishing ability to do it.

Gingergit
  • Having seen the clips Garrick looks to be a better player than baker Richardson and surely should get a chance before the end of the season

Pacey and that as DJ has proved scares the crap out of defenders at any level. 
  • SVJack said:
    Having seen the clips Garrick looks to be a better player than baker Richardson and surely should get a chance before the end of the season

Pacey and that as DJ has proved scares the crap out of defenders at any level. 
    Yup.

I'd rather have him on the bench than Asoro or McKay.
  • That run at goal by Asoro towards the end of the game, summed him up. 
    He seemed to not have a clue what to do, when he got there. 
    I’d rather have anyone on the bench, than either of them. 
  • Too early to judge Asoro @J4cka he is only 19 - and a lot of well qualified people think he has potential (admittedly we have not seen much of it yet!) But I would keep him. Mckay is a different animal - much older and we know what we have with him i.e. a player that has some good moments, but is not the highest work rate and is a defensive liability. 
  • I still haven't quite worked out why CBR has been elevated to be given so many first team opportunities, even if many are just from the bench.

Surely a better option would have been to sign a decent player on loan from a lower league side in the January window at very little expense. We could have given them valuable experience at a higher level with a view to a possible permanent signing in the summer.

• Don’t want to appear negative after such a fantastic effort against Man C, but CBR is another one who seems not to have a clue. 
    Give Cullen or Garrick from the U23’s a run out, both are promising youngsters, and seem to show a lot more promise than CBR. 
    Garrick in particular has I think, that X factor, who’s progress has been hampered by injury. 
    GP saw the raw talent with Daniel James, and gave him his chance. 
    As they say, if your good enough, your old enough. 
  • Not being disrespectful to B-Richardson, but the only reason I can see GP using him is when the manager wants his lone striker to possess a physical presence and play a system suited to that role. There is nobody else available in either the first team or U23’s squad, not even Biabi capable of playing that role.
  • Not being disrespectful to B-Richardson, but the only reason I can see GP using him is when the manager wants his lone striker to possess a physical presence and play a system suited to that role. There is nobody else available in either the first team or U23’s squad, not even Biabi capable of playing that role.
    Agreed @Colin_swansea physicality is the only attribute I see. I find it really strange that he has been offered a contract extension as well - he is not a youngster (compared to Asoro, Dhanda etc). Something I cannot see for sure.
  • Jackareme said:
    Not being disrespectful to B-Richardson, but the only reason I can see GP using him is when the manager wants his lone striker to possess a physical presence and play a system suited to that role. There is nobody else available in either the first team or U23’s squad, not even Biabi capable of playing that role.
    Agreed @Colin_swansea physicality is the only attribute I see. I find it really strange that he has been offered a contract extension as well - he is not a youngster (compared to Asoro, Dhanda etc). Something I cannot see for sure.
    Sad to say, would it be the guy who gave a contract extension to B-R is the same guy who gave a new contract to Biabi, now on loan at Macclesfield and struggling to get a game. 
  • Cbr is like a poor mans Christian McLean!!!
  • To be fair to CBR under normal circumstances he would have been loaned out to a League Two club this season. I've not been particularly impressed with him, but it's to early to make a judgement, as with Asoro. If he's good enough for Potter then he must have something in him.
    Gingergit
  • Wyn said:
    To be fair to CBR under normal circumstances he would have been loaned out to a League Two club this season. I've not been particularly impressed with him, but it's to early to make a judgement, as with Asoro. If he's good enough for Potter then he must have something in him.
    Agree @Wyn - But the age is the difference Asoro idoes not turn 20 until the end of April , while CBR  turns 24 in December..
    Plus Asoro is jet heeled and has the chance to develop, CBR is flat footed and nearly in his prime. I am prepared to be proved wrong, but I think at 23-24 you are what you are.