Football betting site Betway

Match Discussion: Wales v Slovakia - Euro 2020 Qualifier 2018/19

edited March 25 in Wales
This is the place to discuss all things related to the Wales v Slovakia Euro 2020 Group E Qualifying game on Sunday 24 March 2019 at the Cardiff City Stadium.

Share your pre and post match thoughts, team selection and score prediction for the game.

Kick-off is at 2:00pm and the game will be shown live on S4C and Sky Sports Football.

Comments

• England’s goal is as good as it gets absolute class
  • Come on giggly and Potts iff your going to play a posetion game around the box you need to play quick one twos at a good tempo and get your flair players to take players on and make things happen otherwise totally pointless!
  • My team would be -
    Hennessey
    Roberts Ash Mepham Davies (sadly Rodon injured or we'd have a full swans back 4)
    Allen Smith
    Brooks Ramsey Wilson
    Bale

That is a very good team that will hopefully get us off to a winning start and we can grow into this campaign and get qualification. Well in our capabilities, hope Giggs is up to the test. 

• I'd have Vaulks instead of Smith
  • I wouldn't be disappointed if he makes the starting team, he looked decent v Trinidad. Is Ramsey out? I heard it mentioned somewhere. 
  • Celina that’s how you take a pen.ramos take a booo son.
  • Vaulks to start! You're kidding right? Plays for Cloggers United. Decent player perhaps in that brand of football, but not a player for a team aspiring to play football. Smith is the right pedigree and will start alongside Allen. With Ramsey out James may well start in a 4-2-3-1, with Brooks at 10, Wilson on the other wing and Bale up front. I suspect he'll go with Roberts at 9, and Bale and Wilson on the wings, with James to come on against 32 year old right-back Pekarik who has only played a handful of games this season. Slovakia should be under a big disadvantage with only 2 and a half days gap between their games, and travelling thrown in.  We really have to win this.
    JackaremeColinNorthampton
  • I hope he doesn't go with Roberts at 9. He might come good at some point but right now I don't think he's good enough. I would be very happy to see DJ come in and Brooks move into the Ramsey position.

We'll see. But a good early start with a goal will settle the nerves and get the crowd going. Let's not wait. Too many home draws last campaign. 
    ColinNorthampton
  • Got enough to win this but depends on how Giggs sets the team up, hopefully not too gung ho
  • edited March 24
    Hennessey
    Connor mepham lawrence Ben
          Joe.      Smith
    Wilson Brooks     dJ
           Bale

Surprised Lawrence over Ash

Rest of the team kind of picked itself with Smith given the nod

2-0 win for Wales
  • I bet the yanks are playing with themselves over DJ performance. More dollars in their pockets this summer.
    Mark_Jack_London
  • aye his price tag just jumped another notch over and above the brentford goal
  • Great first half,should have had one or two more goals, but dug in against an improved Slovakia second half and with a bit of luck came away with the 3pts. Croatia away next might be a bit more tricky
  • A resolute performance against a tricky opponent. Pleased for Dan. Both him and Celina in amongst the goals for their respective sides. Start as we mean to go on.
  • Yes, got the 3 points, very important. Dan was great and I thought Giggs played it way too safe bringing him off when he did but got away with it.

Joey Allen was brilliant and if we had him in our Swans team, we'd be well settled in the play offs. Superb defensive midfield display. 
    GingergitJackareme
  • Dan had a great game , so pleased for him. I also thought Connor played well.

Mr Birch will be licking his lips in anticipation.
  • Echo @MarkG comments about Joey Allen. Was IMO the best player on the field by a country mile

Cracking save late on by Hennessey. Was much happier seeing the James/Wilson/Brooks axis because the second Roberts came on we seemed to lack a bit and Giggs' changes invited slovakia onto us

Still three points in the bag which is the main thing
  • Winning Goal
    Man of the Match award
    Now a starter for a top international team.
    Dan's price tag keeps rising. Leeds might have to look elsewhere. Only place Dan is going is the Prem Lge

Hope we have one more season of him to help us challenge for promo/playoffs next season before he is sold.
  • Anyone else annoyed about the nature of our 2 yellows given how much dirty stuff they did for their 4?
  • Anyone else annoyed about the nature of our 2 yellows given how much dirty stuff they did for their 4?
    Yes -but they did get 7 yellows.

One should have been a str8 red IMHO.

Scythed James down from the side with studs up and nowhere near the ball.

• I agree with you comments surrounding the yellow cards, but from Ryan Giggs's perspective I'd have been annoyed at the way Brooks got his yellow. The ref clearly told him that when he was substituted that he should have walked around the pitch back to the dugout, but he just walked straight across the pitch and incurred a totally unnecessary yellow. We have put together a great squad of players, but can ill afford unnecessary yellow cards, possibly resulting in suspensions. 
  • That was a huge day for Wales. Slovakia are a decent team as we saw. If we had blown it yesterday we could have been 6 pts behind Croatia & Slovakia and with only another 7 games in the group the pressure would be on. As it is Hungary surprised everyone by beating World Ranked 4 and losing World Cup finalists Croatia and we got over the line 1-0. Now the pressure is fully on the other 2 teams.

Before the qualifiers started I estimate that 17 points would be top of the group in the vast majority of the groups. Getting to 17 means 5 Wins 2 Draws & 1 Defeat, Croatia 7 Slovakia cannot now afford to lose another game and they still have to play each other twice.

Fingers crossed we can get through June still unbeaten which means getting something away at Croatia & Hungary