Football betting site Betway

Daniel James

Surely on the Daniel James front, there has to be an absolute, obvious, no brainier?
For a return of nearly 100% on “their” investment, our Hedge fund managers
 offer him,  more or less,what he wants, just to keep him happy while he’s here. 
So They bite the bullet for the 10 games left. 
Give him a 4 yr contract, with a “come and buy me” clause. 
A top 6 Prem. team, bursting with cash, trying to reach the Holy Grail of European Champions league qualification, step in and give you £15 - £20m as their investment for  “One for the future “ and indeed, the immediate future. 
Let’s face facts, we would all love to see him progress under Potter, keep our other gems coming through, and rebuild for next season. 
But it ain’t going to happen, when a club is run as an “Investment opportunity”
So at least when you sell the family silver,  get the going rate.
 By speculating to accumulate, this is easily achievable. 
If they don’t, we’ll end up giving him, and others away, for practically nothing. 
Ive waited all these years, since the early Tosh days,for a nucleus of good young talented players, brought through our own system, to represent Swansea City football club. 
And when we finally do, we are in the s***, with s*** Owners. 

Comments

• Good point, but you miss one important thing, these HFM,s who own our club dont take a long term or indeed a football club perspective. they will look at the first offer they get, ( Remember James to Leeds giveaway) . they are vultures. who now the cost of everything and the value of nothing. 
  • it will all depend on their FFP view, and how much financial trouble we actually are in.

Thankfully we have someone coming in charge of football matters who actually knows what he is doing. 

I think get some of those contracts tied down will be some of the top things on his agenda, added to seeing how big the black hole is.
  • J4cka,

"we would all love to see him progress under Potter, keep our other gems coming through, and rebuild for next season. But it ain’t going to happen, when a club is run as an “Investment opportunity”

Perhaps you need to think again about your above statement, bearing in mind the earlier extension to contracts for McBurnie, Byers, Rodon, Roberts and Grimes were all taken up by the players.

As for the 4 year contract you are proposing, perhaps the player won't sign a contract that long, more likely to be a 3 year one.

Am not sticking up for our owners but they did come up with extensions to the above players where everybody, i
  • Colin: But as I said, will the Hedgefunders actually KEEP our other gems, plus the ones you’ve pointed out?
    My main point was,  DJ is obviously going to be a Premiership player, probably next season. 
    So, for the sake of 10 games, pay him what he wants, and we sell him, on the back of a 3 or 4 yr contract. 
  • The track record of Trevor Birch is that he is VERY savvy and a football guy. On the top of his inbox should be a contract for Daniel that ties him here  but gives the young man an exit if/when a team bids stupid money. he has electric pace, which is a premium product and selling Dan might be the only move we need to make to balance the books alongside shifting all the expensive dead wood.
    Fair play to Dan he shows an awesome attitude and is good defensively as well as going forward. Maybe the way out of our financial pickle is the rise of Daniel James - lets hope so!
  • You're final words ring true, lets get £15/£20m for DJ and solve a few issues, now if we could get that sort of money for ABBA then there'd be no need to sell DJ and that, to me is good business.
    Jackareme
  • Dan has a lot of things to weigh up before he signs, IMO. I think in this order:
    1. what are the plans for the team? (Similar to others like VdH).
    2. Of those offers in point 3 below, what chances will I have to play 1st team football on a regular basis. It will affect his chances of starting for Wales.
    3. What are the Swans willing to pay him, against other offers on the table (his agent will have an idea who is interested in him, even now)?
    4. and then he needs to have a look and see of all of those players who have had big money moves, how many of them are happy? we know he is happy where he is. because he has said it many times recently. "loves it".

• An interesting question as well is what do we have on the youth system conveyor belt? in my opinion Ollie can only go at a premium because the striker cupboard is bare. We could probably live with selling Rodon, Roberts or Dan James (but obviously ONLY at a price that suits us). I think a year or two down the road we will have centre backs wingers and fullbacks.

On that subject - anyone able to update on the progress of Aaron Lewis? - started with  bang at Donny but it seems to have gone quiet.
  • Aaron had a few games rest, as Donnie have struggled recently, but came back into the team last weekend in a 4 nil drubbing at the hands of Luton. He played 70+ mins before he was subbed.
    Jackareme
  • If we can sell AA to China then given the inflated fees paid by Chinese clubs you never know, we might get £20m plus 
     for him
    If he stays in Turkey you're looking at £2m
    JA will go for £1m to French league 1 bottom half
    Baston to Alaves as a back up striker for £m
    Dan is gold dust and the only big money sale otherwise
    He terrified Slovakia and Man C and will do the same to many more 
    A 4 year contract is at least a route to a bigger fee, not one based on a 12 months left contract
    Given David Brooks valuation by Eddie Howe I'd say £20m for Dan is probably on the low side
    Selling AA at Chinese rates looks to be the only way to keep Dan as all the other players for sale put together will hit £10m maybe - unless the Chinese...
  • James' pace is self-evident, but what is often omitted in assessments of his ability is his tremendous balance and turn of pace. Bale obviously has tremendous pace - but owing to his size takes a few strides to get going. Not James. Take the way he burst onto the Slovakian defender for his goal - showing how blindingly fast he is over 10 yards. That's a massive commodity to have at any level of the game. He's also shown an ability to change his running angles sharply at pace, or off a standing start. In the Slovakia game he burst passed a defender on the inside from near the touchline having first completely stopped, touching the ball inside, before roasting the defender. Remarkable stuff. 

The one thing missing in James' game is his decision-making, which has improved under Potter, but is still a bit hit and miss. Again we saw that in the Slovakia game - where he failed to pick out Bale in space on a couple of occasions. But the raw potential in Dan is phenomenal - and I think that should command a premium. Perhaps I'm being over-optimistic, but £20 million should be the minimum release clause in any new contract. 

Dan may be advised to run down his contract - but it's a big risk. If he gets a career-ending injury in the next year he gets a modest payout. Sign a three or four year contract and he's secure pretty much for life, still with the prospect of moving on sooner rather than later if he continues to progress - which I'm sure he will under Potter, and for Wales.
  • @Wyn - Dan seems to be asking for a clause with a fixed price for sale if he signs a contract beyond his current one. I think this is a good compromise, but the fixed fee needs to reflect his potential and be a minimum of 20 million. In this way, he gets a dream move to the promised land and bails the swans out at the same time - leaving with his reputation and hero status intact.
    Wyn
  • One other thing that may help the club's cause is Dan's international prospects. Giggs has made it pretty clear that he will select players who are playing regularly and on form - hence Lawrence's selection over Williams. As things stand James has a good chance of being selected ahead of Wilson for the Croatia game in June, assuming Ramsey returns from injury. But it's a pretty marginal thing. 

Should James move to another club, especially one in the Premier League, he might not get game time, and his prospects for selection for the qualifiers and (hopefully) tournament may suffer as a result. It's not as if Wales don't have plenty of options wide left, with Tom Lawrence and Wilson challenging for a place out wide. If James is smart he'll play the long game and sign a contract with a release clause. If he were to star at the Euros he could be in line for a very lucrative move. 
    JackaremeMark_Jack_London
  • Wyn said:
    One other thing that may help the club's cause is Dan's international prospects. Giggs has made it pretty clear that he will select players who are playing regularly and on form - hence Lawrence's selection over Williams. As things stand James has a good chance of being selected ahead of Wilson for the Croatia game in June, assuming Ramsey returns from injury. But it's a pretty marginal thing. 

Should James move to another club, especially one in the Premier League, he might not get game time, and his prospects for selection for the qualifiers and (hopefully) tournament may suffer as a result. It's not as if Wales don't have plenty of options wide left, with Tom Lawrence and Wilson challenging for a place out wide. If James is smart he'll play the long game and sign a contract with a release clause. If he were to star at the Euros he could be in line for a very lucrative move. 
    agreed, and said as much in a few posts above yours (Point 2)
  • Where ever, or when he goes in the summer, the hedgefunders will still have to make THE decision. 
    IE. 10 games = Probably £15 - £20 down the line. 
    Speculate to accumulate. 
  • J4cka said:
    just because Citeh are interested, doesnt mean he will go. or if he does, maybe the deal will be he stays with us for at least another season, because there is no way he is getting in their team right now, all due respect.

and if that is the case, he risks being in the same situation as Ben Woodburn in the Wales squad, and a benchwarmer at best.

• If rumours are true, I heard that all young Dan wanted, was to be paid on a par with the others, Rodon and Roberts etc. He isn't exactly holding the club to ransom.
    It's very much "roy of the rovers" with Swansea and Dan, yet as much as my heart says he stays, I know he will be gone, not for his payday, but the club vultures' !!!!
  • Am not taking sides with the owners but if some feel that he will be hawked off by our owners why wasn't that decision made when the club's contract extensions were offered, and eventually signed by Roberts, Rodon, McBurnie and Grimes last year?

James might well be in a different market place as his value has escalated 2/3 fold since January but if his comments in the media about being happy alongside his mates are not just journo rhetoric, then hopefully he could well sign a new extension. 

Most agents are looked at by most fans as parasites, and Dan's is no exception after his suspension not so long ago, but Dan could look at furthering his career under a manager that trusted him this season rather than sign a big bucks deal and sit on the bench at Citeyh.

On the other hand should Birch fail to offload the Ayew's, Baston and others in the summer then there will only be one outcome.
  • I hate to reiterate, but give him a contract, he ( and his agent ) are happy with NOW!
    It will definitely be just for 10 games, because I can see the dollar signs in America from here, especially now the likes of Man C are showing interest. 
    And I do agree, it would be a waste for him to sit on a bench. 
    So the ideal solution would be, money bags Citeh, give us £15m with add ons, let us keep him for a year, and the Yanks don’t share it with their “investors”, 

• J4cka said:
    I hate to reiterate, but give him a contract, he ( and his agent ) are happy with NOW!
    It will definitely be just for 10 games, because I can see the dollar signs in America from here, especially now the likes of Man C are showing interest. 
    And I do agree, it would be a waste for him to sit on a bench. 
    So the ideal solution would be, money bags Citeh, give us £15m with add ons, let us keep him for a year, and the Yanks don’t share it with their “investors”, 

Why give him a contract if he's going to be sold? It's just throwing money away.

They're wanting a release clause anyway so there's no chance of it leading to a higher fee. When Bony got his new deal it removed a low release clause.
  • Add Spurs to the list of clubs lining up a bid.

If he goes we make more if he doesnt go straight to the top. If he is sold for say 15m to lower club and then gets sold on for 50m with a 20% sell on clause that is better for us
  • If he has a 3yr contract, it costs the buying club, more to buy that contract out. 
  • Add Bournemouth to the list now too
  • J4cka said:
    If he has a 3yr contract, it costs the buying club, more to buy that contract out. 
    Not if it includes a £12m buyout clause. We could likely get that now. Almost did off Leeds.
  • Trevor Birch has just been handed a lifeline to balancing the books without destroying the club. With the suitors in place for Dan and the reduction in wages from offloading Bony, Ayew, Ayew, Borja, Olsson, CCV, Montero etc. and possibly some of Dyer, Routledge, Nordfeldt, Naughton, Fer etc - then we have a distinct chance to balance the books, retain all young talent (barring DJ) and invest modestly in the first team in areas of need. 

Lets face it Dan will not be here next season (unless he is loaned back to us) so lets get the bidding war going while the young man is a red hot property. If nobody fancies him at a tag north of 20 million then we keep him until somebody does. His pace is a premium product at the highest level, and buyers need to recognise that.
  • Jackareme said:
    Trevor Birch has just been handed a lifeline to balancing the books without destroying the club. With the suitors in place for Dan and the reduction in wages from offloading Bony, Ayew, Ayew, Borja, Olsson, CCV, Montero etc. and possibly some of Dyer, Routledge, Nordfeldt, Naughton, Fer etc - then we have a distinct chance to balance the books, retain all young talent (barring DJ) and invest modestly in the first team in areas of need. 

Lets face it Dan will not be here next season (unless he is loaned back to us) so lets get the bidding war going while the young man is a red hot property. If nobody fancies him at a tag north of 20 million then we keep him until somebody does. His pace is a premium product at the highest level, and buyers need to recognise that.
    What najes you think Dan won't be here next season, he might surprise you now by signing an extension. 
  • Time will tell @Colin_swansea and none of us have a crystal ball. Just joining the dots, which as I see them are:
    We need to raise and estimated 30 million 
    Our owners are not hesitant to cash in on assets
    We have a hot commodity that will prompt a number of seductive offers (regardless of contract extensions or not)

Lets circle back to this in August Colin - I personally would be amazed if he still a Swan.
  • Jackareme said:
    Time will tell @Colin_swansea and none of us have a crystal ball. Just joining the dots, which as I see them are:
    We need to raise and estimated 30 million 
    Our owners are not hesitant to cash in on assets
    We have a hot commodity that will prompt a number of seductive offers (regardless of contract extensions or not)

Lets circle back to this in August Colin - I personally would be amazed if he still a Swan.
    Apart from his reputation we don’t know at the moment what effect Birch’s experience will bring to the club’s finances as far as getting good fees for the likes of the Ayews, Baston and Montero, hopefully bringing in fees in the region of £20/25m, plus the saving of wages of Fer, Olsson, Routledge, while the likes of Nordfeldt, Naughton, Dyer still have s year on their contract. Throw in a sizeable fee in the region of £8m for vd Hoorn, a player in my opinion at best a Ch’ship quality, where a replacement could easily be had for less than £3m.
    Pan forward to August 2019!
  • Agreed @Colin_swansea - all except i think you are a little harsh with VdH who at 26 is just starting to enter his prime - in my opinion he has advanced with responsibility and is a real leader, I would not sell him (or at least as a very last resort). It will be interesting to see what Graham and Kyle can conjure up given a bigger say in recruitment - they made their name at Ostersunds on savvy bargain hunting. Never dull that is for sure!