Next season

Next season iff we could keep this group of players what we could achieve. 
Lets strip it back let’s say Norwich sheff Utd villa go up. Ok, stoke West Brom qpr derby sheff wed boro are big clubs but are going to have to make adjustments.huddersfield Fulham and Cardiff come Down.i think Cardiff and hudesfield will be competitive.and I’ve got a sneaky feeling Fulham will gamble and say we’ve spent over a 100 mil this year so it’s shit or bust. Luton Sunderland Portsmouth I think will come up and be quite competitive but without investment will be mid table.so you’ve got Bristol city forest Brentford Preston,reading,Hull millwall Wigan will struggle Birmingham will sell anything that moves including che Adams. So I think iff we box clever keep our squad have a good go next season it could work out. And we’ll be there or there abouts.

Comments

  • The way we are now playing, if we can get one more CB and Che Adams will win the league outright with record goals scored tally.
  • Forgetabout che Adams Dai hel go premiere league and rightly so. Iff we had a little money to spend then there’s quite a few options out there. I like Neil maupay from Brentford but I don’t think he’ll come cheap. There’s Neil Gregory from millwall whose also a goal scorer Clarke Harris’s from b rovers who would be a gamble.and as a goal scoring winger there’s Aiden mcgeedey and grosiki from hull.lots of options iff your willing to spend.
  • I also like the Brentford lad, but there's a few more, the Newport CF and the ex-Cheltenham lad hasn't settled at Bristol City
  • Don't know these players but are they all under, say, 25, because that is the age group GP will look at, young hungry, adaptable players that suit the style we played yesterday. That is why it is essential to keep the academy & the U23's. Conveyor belt football. 
  • Brownie,

    Get your head out of the clouds. 

    The parachute payments drop again this year. 

    VdH will go on a free. Dan will go for a derisory price because we've left it too late to tie him down to a new contract. Anyone offering any sort of half decent sum for Roberts, Grimes, Celina, McBurnie and they will be off as well. 

    At best, the replacements will be more youth players promoted, and the odd dud free transfer like Asoro. 

    We're far more likely to go backwards than forwards - unless the club is sold.
    Arch_Stanton
  • We're more likely to sell assets than build on what we have. Our owners are money men not fotballl people. 
  • I'm a fan of Johnson Clarke Harris of Rovers as well. 24 I think now and banging them in but I'd rather see Garrick promoted as well

    Maupay would cost a fortune, Mo Eisa is the chap I think referred to above (ex Cheltenham lad at Bristol City) and he's decent but must be a reason he's not playing regularly there. 

    First things first. Sell the Ayews and Baston. Total cost was 40mn I think. Can we recoup that? Doubtful. 

    Narsingh will leave on a free I think. Bony as well (unless he's willing to take a 90% pay cut next season). Olsson, well I still think he's decent but again would he take a pay cut? If not I'd have Aaron Lewis at left back next season. 

    Promote Cabango. Look to sell CBR as he's not good enough IMO. Promote Cullen potentially. 
  • For me the starting point for next season is the new Chairman gets an agreement from the owners to back the manager, if he gets that he ( chairman ) can talk to the manager and his team with an idea of what possibly could be available and get him to stay as make no bones about it Mr potter will get offers this close season , the next step must be to tie down the players G P wants and off load the people who do not want to be here or to costly to the club we all know who they are, all the above can be done in the next few weeks , for me this new chairman is the first "football " chairman this club will have had in recent times there maybe more hard medicine to come but i feel that he must be given a chance at least, and as others have said if the owners show a bit of ambition who knows what the club could achieve, but am old enough to think its not going to happen
  • Brownie,

    Get your head out of the clouds. 

    The parachute payments drop again this year. 

    VdH will go on a free. Dan will go for a derisory price because we've left it too late to tie him down to a new contract. Anyone offering any sort of half decent sum for Roberts, Grimes, Celina, McBurnie and they will be off as well. 

    At best, the replacements will be more youth players promoted, and the odd dud free transfer like Asoro. 

    We're far more likely to go backwards than forwards - unless the club is sold.
    At the moment ewe are all dreaming about potential players to fill holes in our squad whereas one, apart from the players who are out of contract, we don't know who will be gone, and also, more importantly, what financial market will we be competing for players in.

    gary,
    van der Hoorn won't be a free, the club will take up the option and he will go if he demands it, to the highest bidder.
    If Dan doesn't sign a new deal especially without that pathetic £4m clause, he has to go in the summer, even if it is for a measly £8-10M with add-ons, and not wait for the January window. Its the best business the club can do apart from giving Dan a new contract that will please the player as well as the club.
    Of course players can go for below their value should the club be desperate to bring cash in, and until that can be confirmed, then all people are doing is fanning the flames and guessing. 
  • Iff we’re relying on money in from the 2 ayews bastion tom Carroll then we are really in the shit.
  • What we are relying on is removing the wages - forget about fees (which would be gravy), All of the following are on a minimum average of $50k a week - and that amounts to $2.5 million a year for each of these players - Ayew Ayew Narsingh Bony Borja Carroll Fer Olsson. That is $20 million without getting a single penny in transfers, and NONE of them are offering anything to the exciting young team that Potter is developing here.
    Over to Trevor Birch to move as much of these expensive decorations and leave our young core of players intact (maybe with some modest additions of young hungry talent). 
    First thing is to tie Potter to the club - the man is a miracle worker and has got me excited about my team again!!
  • Jackareme

    Not wishing to sound pedantic, but those are PL wages and the majority of players had a relegation clause in their contracts, so will not be on anywhere near £50k per week (I'm assuming you meant £s not $s ?) Notwithstanding that, I agree it's a lot of money to spend on players who contribute the square root of FA to the team.
  • deekay

    Whatever these players wages are they need removing and the icing on the cake will be if we get favourable fees for them.
    I am not concerned about losing one or two youngsters but more concerned at losing Potter and how much the academy will be savaged.

  • Colin

    No argument from me on that, I'm just pointing out that the figures suggested by jackareme are some way off being accurate. I absolutely agree that we need to get the high earners off our books asap, but as you are aware, that's easier said than done.

    As for the second para, I may be on my own in thinking that if we sold DJ for enough ££'s and that was sufficient to stabilise the finances and allow GP to manipulate the squad in the way that he wants, then I would take it. That's not to say that I want DJ to go, but I recognise that HJ has left us in one hell of a predicament and we have to deal with it or go under.
  • deekay said:
    Jackareme

    Not wishing to sound pedantic, but those are PL wages and the majority of players had a relegation clause in their contracts, so will not be on anywhere near £50k per week (I'm assuming you meant £s not $s ?) Notwithstanding that, I agree it's a lot of money to spend on players who contribute the square root of FA to the team.
    get your point @deekay..however, unless somebody knows something i don't..we do not know anything about relegation clauses. the noises from the club are that we are sinking fast - so maybe we did not show enough forward planning when making panic purchases??
  • I know I am harping on - but genuine question - does anybody know the extent to which relegation clauses were inserted in contracts. It seems to be the perceived wisdom of many that they were, but I have also seen a lot of media coverage that suggested (for example) that Wilf was continuing to earn 100k a week. I have also seen media suggestions that Narsingh earns 45k.
    Again looking for information confirming that Huw and colleagues had tight relegation clauses, and what percentage the savings were - otherwise my estimated 20 million in dead salaries might not be far wide of the mark as suggested by some. 
    If Narsingh was on 45k you can bet your arris that Ayew A, Borja, Fer and Bony were on more than that.
  • Jackareme said:
    I know I am harping on - but genuine question - does anybody know the extent to which relegation clauses were inserted in contracts. It seems to be the perceived wisdom of many that they were, but I have also seen a lot of media coverage that suggested (for example) that Wilf was continuing to earn 100k a week. I have also seen media suggestions that Narsingh earns 45k.
    Again looking for information confirming that Huw and colleagues had tight relegation clauses, and what percentage the savings were - otherwise my estimated 20 million in dead salaries might not be far wide of the mark as suggested by some. 
    If Narsingh was on 45k you can bet your arris that Ayew A, Borja, Fer and Bony were on more than that.
    Player contracts in the UK aren't public knowledge (while they are in some other countries, like Italy) so it's all guesswork from tabloids and websites and Football Manager, unless there's a specific leak like with Bony's City transfer documents or John Arne Riise's payslip.

    With Bony his City contract would have still run until the end of this season so there was no real incentive for him to take a paycut to come here, or to risk a big chunk of it with a relegation clause. City were still chipping in £30k a week according to strong rumours, though.

    Relegation clauses would mostly run in the 25-50% cut range, usually the lower end of reduction. They don't solve wage bill issues, they simply marginally ease the burden.

    Huw's wife claimed he voluntarily took a large paycut, and even offered to work for free if other execs followed suit. Who knows though.

    Andre Ayew would have had very little incentive to accept a relegation clause given where we were in the table and the money he was giving up to rejoin us. We were desperate. Most of the other senior first team players on PL money would likely have had them, though.
  • jasper_T said:
    Jackareme said:
    I know I am harping on - but genuine question - does anybody know the extent to which relegation clauses were inserted in contracts. It seems to be the perceived wisdom of many that they were, but I have also seen a lot of media coverage that suggested (for example) that Wilf was continuing to earn 100k a week. I have also seen media suggestions that Narsingh earns 45k.
    Again looking for information confirming that Huw and colleagues had tight relegation clauses, and what percentage the savings were - otherwise my estimated 20 million in dead salaries might not be far wide of the mark as suggested by some. 
    If Narsingh was on 45k you can bet your arris that Ayew A, Borja, Fer and Bony were on more than that.
    Player contracts in the UK aren't public knowledge (while they are in some other countries, like Italy) so it's all guesswork from tabloids and websites and Football Manager, unless there's a specific leak like with Bony's City transfer documents or John Arne Riise's payslip.

    With Bony his City contract would have still run until the end of this season so there was no real incentive for him to take a paycut to come here, or to risk a big chunk of it with a relegation clause. City were still chipping in £30k a week according to strong rumours, though.

    Relegation clauses would mostly run in the 25-50% cut range, usually the lower end of reduction. They don't solve wage bill issues, they simply marginally ease the burden.

    Huw's wife claimed he voluntarily took a large paycut, and even offered to work for free if other execs followed suit. Who knows though.

    Andre Ayew would have had very little incentive to accept a relegation clause given where we were in the table and the money he was giving up to rejoin us. We were desperate. Most of the other senior first team players on PL money would likely have had them, though.
    I think Bony still lives in Swansea, or is based in Swansea, his two boys play for the academy, I wonder how that will pan out if he moves on.
    Would you pay Bony, say £10k a goal if he said, I've earned enough and I want to stay. Totally hypothetical, of course.
  • Recognising that IF relegation clauses were executed and that they would likely be at best in the 25% range - we have actually 9 players (I forgot Jeff) earning between 45k (Narsingh?) and 100k (Bony?) - these being the two Ayews, Borja, Jeff, Olsson, Fer, Carroll, Narsingh and Fer.

    I repeat my guess that there is around 20milllion in dead salaries at our club that with some shrewd operating we could move off the payroll. If we could also attract some transfer revenue from them (fraction of cost) then that further balances the books. Over to Trevor Birch, as this is the answer to keeping our youngsters and key influential players like VdH Nathan and Wayne together.
Sign In or Register to comment.