Match Discussion: Swans v Stoke City - Championship 2018/19

edited April 10 in Swansea City
This is the place to discuss all things related to the Swans v Stoke City - Championship game on Tuesday 9 April 2019 at 7:45pm.

Share your pre and post match thoughts, views on Graham Potter's pre or post match comments, team selection and score prediction!

The referee for the game is Tony Harrington, who will be taking charge of his first ever Swansea City home game.

Have a browse of the Swansea City v Stoke City Head to Head Statistics when the sides have met at the Vetch Field and Liberty Stadium.

Comments

• Bookies taking the P. 20/1 to make the playoffs. R u kidding me should be 50 or 100. We are 9 pts adrift of Bristol C with 7 games to play each. Looking at their fixtures its not impossible they stumble their way to 71 or 72 points. In their next 5 games they have WBA next then Villa away then 2 games later Derby finishing with 2 away games. It's crucial for our slim chances they lose to WBA tomorrow.

If all they do is stumble their way to 71 or 72 points that means we have to win 6 draw 1 of our games. If we can put Stoke to bed tomorrow and WBA do them at Aston gate then on our fixtures and current form we might do it. But its a lot longer shot than 20/1
  • Prutton predicting a stoke win despite the fact they have rarely scored in recent games and the swans have 6 in the last two, nevermind
  • I’d like to see him put his money where his mouth is on that one.
  • Prutton always backs against us. He's worse than lawro was when we were in the prem

I'll go Swans 2-1
  • We will need to score 2 minimum to win because of our set piece defending..but I think we are capable - 2-1 Swans 
  • Another 3-1 for me, Dan James to run rings round Ash :smiley:
  • edited April 9
    As someone who was a bookie for years the following table would be close to being the favorite if there was betting for what the table looks after the next two games. I've taken the next 2 sets of fixtures and their likely outcome. Interesting and could be an exciting finish to the season for us when everyone thinks there is nothing to play for. This is from 6th place down.

Derby 64
    Bristol City 62
    Boro 62
    Forest 60
    Hull 60
    Swansea 59
    Weds 59
    Preston 57
    Note we have a game in hand over everyone except Bristol City & Derby. Their extra game is Millwall away

With 4 games left some would say it's still a long shot because Derby are 5 clear of us with only 4 games left. But the very next set of games.

Swansea v Rotherham
    Birmingham v Derby

The gap could be 2 or 3 points with everybody else having 2 games left and us, Derby an Bristol C having 3.

Our game in hand is.

Swansea v Derby on Weds May 1st before the last games off the season are played on the 5th
    That could be one sell out stadium before our last game of the season at Blackburn
    COYS

Looks like Tom Ince wont make it today and hopefully Shawcross wont be in the line up but I always like seeing Shawcross in because he fouls so much in the box. If he has to deal with a front four of James, Routs, Celina & Dyer I fancy a penalty comes our way at his age

• @Jackareme like you I think we suck at set pieces but someone on here did the stats. On average a goal is scored 3.5 times for every 100 corners. We are conceding at somewhere around 6.5 goals per 100 so it is a weakness but I think most of us feel we are a lot worse than that mainly because of games where we should have won and we concede a set piece so it gets under our skin a lot more. Forest last week a case in point. We go in front and our possession stat at that point is 75%. Amazing for an away team at a play off contender. Then Forest get just 2 or maybe 3 corners in the last 15 minutes and get two goals
  • I will take a scrappy offside goal like they had up there earlier in the season to win the game. Having said that if we play the same side as Saturday we will have the pace to break Stokes defence down quite easily. Good support and atmosphere tonight will see us through with another win...
  • Martyn said:
    @Jackareme like you I think we suck at set pieces but someone on here did the stats. On average a goal is scored 3.5 times for every 100 corners. We are conceding at somewhere around 6.5 goals per 100 so it is a weakness but I think most of us feel we are a lot worse than that mainly because of games where we should have won and we concede a set piece so it gets under our skin a lot more. Forest last week a case in point. We go in front and our possession stat at that point is 75%. Amazing for an away team at a play off contender. Then Forest get just 2 or maybe 3 corners in the last 15 minutes and get two goals
    Unfortunately a goal every 15 set pieces is alarming, and also alarming is the disparity between how often we concede compared to how often we score from them. If the average is 3.5 per 100 ours must be a 1 per 100 for and 6.5 per 100 against. Not tenable I am afraid.
  • Hi. Can anyone tell me if we are on the Sky red button tonight please? Cheers.
  • Hi. Can anyone tell me if we are on the Sky red button tonight please? Cheers.
    Yes, it’s on the red button. That’s the info sky sport app gives. 
  • Thank you                                 
  • edited April 9
    Socks in for injured Celina
  • who plays 10? WR has looked good playing 9. 
  • Any streams? For those that don't have red button
  • Playing some lovely stuff.

Three v good chances so far.
  • edited April 9
    1-0 James with a curling beauty.

Thoroughly deserved.

First goal Stoke concede for 6 games apparently.
  • DJ curler. cross or shot. either way, it was a pearler

• Ripping them a new one at the mo.

70% possession
    Shots 9-1
    On 3-0
  • this could be a cricket score - although I said that on Saturday!

• 2-0

VDH ..........................
  • edited April 9
    Fair play to Socks. He's fitted in great and played some lovely balls down the line for James.
  • Cannot see the game here in dubai but must have about 6 web sites on the go for match reports ....bloody loving it ....just seem Dan James goal ....what a pearler....
    Hope Swans keep it going for 90 minutes
    This has been coming for some time since Potter took over

As some one said 
    If we not careful could end up in playoffs and back in EPL...(not looking to witch anyone)

What a load of YJB's this squad is proving to be

• edited April 9
    WTF

2-1

Howler from KN. Need an upgrade.

Last kick of the half. We'd been faultless upto then.

HT Shots 16-2
  • edited April 9
    Martens-Indy-Shoegazing-Shit off for a foul on Dan.

A bit harsh IMHO but fück em. Dirty canutes. James taken a lot of stick (as usual).

Surely game over now.
  • This ref owes us after the last time he was in charge of one of our games!

• edited April 9
    Never seen such a blatant pen refused !

Dan gets another sent off !!!

:)  :)  :) 
  • edited April 9
    Still only 2-1. They should tire from now on.

Oh no. McKay warming up. Comes on for Naughts. Strange.

Grimes to LB.
  • edited April 9
    3-1 Socks.  Neat headed finish from a nice cross from McKay.