Great news

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47871021

Great news that follows some impressive performances by Potter's team
deekayNatterjackDubDragon

Comments

• A good and sensible start from Birch.

A glimmer of hope as to what we may see from him at the helm.

but still very early days. The next big thing on his plate is the renewal of key contracts:

And at this point I would say, in order of importance: James, VdH, Wayne, Fer.

For me, I'd keep the 1st 3 - the latter on a reduced contract. I'm now, no longer concerned about keeping Leroy, having seen how our midfield has performed in his absence. One could say, it has improved hugely since his injury.
    NatterjackJackaremebarry
  • No doubt Routledge will have plenty of suitors offering him a 2 yr deal but one hopes that settled life with his family after 8 years living in the Swansea area will sway him to accept whatever we offer him.

Considering the impact Byers has made in the 2nd half of the season, do we need Fer, but if we need another midfielder we could easily get an up and coming youngster on far less money than Fer will demand.
    DubDragon
  • The club know that the academy provides us with saleable assets at little cost and is a stream of cash in the making. We must keep VdH as Carter Vickers will go back to Spurs and Rodon is the only other centre back at the moment. Being a cup half full type of person I would like to think that  Mr Birch will try to offload the Ayews, Baston and Narsingh to plug our Black Hole. Perhaps the CEO can be made redundant saving a few hundred thousand pounds.
    Cadiz
  • I'm surprised by this - I did think that the Academy structure would be scaled down.

It's very good news though - not just because we keep it for another year and keep developing our young prospects - but it tells me that there is a bit of long term thinking going on here, not just short term cost cutting.
    Wyn
  • The Americans are in it for the long haul, I’m not saying they won’t sell if a tidy offer came in but they know that too make a decent return, we have to be in the top flight. 
    If Dan does go this summer, it will be a business decision to balance the books, I’m hoping, like everyone, he doesn’t go but I’m going to enjoy the next 6 games just in case they are his last for Swansea, that said, if we can offload the Ayew’s and Borja, we might have a chance of keeping him?
    I’d certainly let Man City win the bidding war so long as we can have him back on loan for a season.
  • In Birch we trust! Too early?
    cimlajackCadiz
  • Good news, and hopefully a sign of a planned way back.
  • Whats all the fuss about guys? If they where to do anything eles other than keep what has been a hugely profitable and difficult to achieve status, , they would not be Hedge Fund managers ! DONT BE FOOLED BY THIS OBVIOUS MOVE PLEASE  To do anything eles would have been bonkers. Its done for the bank balance not our club
    Cadiz
  • Birch isn't a hedgie as far as I'm aware @bigoak

Great news we've kept our cat 1 academy and it's beginning to bear some fruit.

Birchs to do list. 
    1) new contract to DJ (min clause a.la portuguese/italian/ Spanish clubs ie 35mn or something)
    2) invoke the option on his original deal and offer new contract for VdH. 
    3) offload Borja, both Ayews and release Narsingh (had high hopes for Luciano but it's just not worked for him)
    4) release Bony unless he wants a 90% pay cut 
    5) new contracts on vastly reduced money for Fer and Olsson 
    6) offload Nordfelt and make Benda # 1
    7) offload TC and and his wages, I'm sure a fellow championship team or lower prem might look at him

Do we look to offload Montero permanently. I guess we probably will. 

I don't know about Routs for another year. If he gets a new contract then fair play though. 

Promote Garrick, Cabango, Aaron Lewis, Kees de Boer or Maric 

And then I guess Mr Potter has ideas on potential incomings naturally  :)

• SVJack said:
    Birch isn't a hedgie as far as I'm aware @bigoak

Great news we've kept our cat 1 academy and it's beginning to bear some fruit.

Birchs to do list. 
    1) new contract to DJ (min clause a.la portuguese/italian/ Spanish clubs ie 35mn or something)
    2) invoke the option on his original deal and offer new contract for VdH. 
    3) offload Borja, both Ayews and release Narsingh (had high hopes for Luciano but it's just not worked for him)
    4) release Bony unless he wants a 90% pay cut 
    5) new contracts on vastly reduced money for Fer and Olsson 
    6) offload Nordfelt and make Benda # 1
    7) offload TC and and his wages, I'm sure a fellow championship team or lower prem might look at him

Do we look to offload Montero permanently. I guess we probably will. 

I don't know about Routs for another year. If he gets a new contract then fair play though. 

Promote Garrick, Cabango, Aaron Lewis, Kees de Boer or Maric 

And then I guess Mr Potter has ideas on potential incomings naturally  :)

I agree with most of that, but I can't agree on Nordfeldt - and I'm pretty sure Potter wouldn't either. He had 100% pass completion against Stoke - and he's integral to our whole style of play. In many ways he's similar to De Vries under Martinez. We lose out on Nordfeldt's lack of assurance under the high ball, but he more than makes up for it by the way he executes the sweeper keeper role. in an ideal world we'd have both qualities in our keeper, but given where we're at at this point in time, Nordfeldt is more than adequate. If any goalie leaves in the summer it will be Mulder - and he'd probably command a reasonable fee.
  • Nordfeldt's first season for us playing a significant number of games. 

I think he will get better as a keeper. His distribution is the best we have had since Vorm, no question. 

I'd not renew Fer's contract. I dont think we need him. Same with Olsson. 

Undecided about TC, but he is more suited to the style of football we are now playing. But if his wages are problem, then I'd sell.

If we can keep DJ, then Jeff's place at the club is academic, especially as he hasnt played for West Brom since the start of March.

Bony will be let go, like Luciano. Both are out of contract. Wages too high. Offer very little.

Most pressing contracts are obv DJ and VdH.

But out of contract Summer 2020, that will need addressing after those 2 are: Nordfeldt, Mulder, Benda, Harries, Naughton, Byers, Dhanda, Dyer.

I think he will get better as a keeper. His distribution is the best we have had since Vorm, no question. 

Undecided about TC, but he is more suited to the style of football we are now playing. But if his wages are problem, then I'd sell.

If we can keep DJ, then Jeff's place at the club is academic, especially as he hasnt played for West Brom since the start of March.

Bony will be let go, like Luciano. Both are out of contract. Wages too high. Offer very little.

But out of contract Summer 2020, that will need addressing after those 2 are: Nordfeldt, Mulder, Benda, Harries, Naughton, Byers, Dhanda, Dyer.

Agree with all of that apart from Carroll. Not fit to lace Matty Grimes boots and none of the physicality (but twice the salary) runs like he is wearing divers boots and tackles like an under 8 schoolboy.
    Agree also about Fer [a luxury player who peaks during transfer windows). Byers has stepped up and to be honest been an upgrade.
    Montero is the quandary for me - especially if we have to sell Dan. Sometimes you just need pace and the x factor. Of the list out of contract in 2020 Mulder is probably the one that we can afford to lose given the development of Benda. VdH is essential to stop us becoming pretty BUT a soft touch.
    Most important signing is Potter - incredibly impressive in the face of adversity!
  • As good as Nordfeldt is in setting up passes from the back, as a keeper he has huge deficiencies in his locker. Was that shot from McClean that good he wasn't able to get down quick enough v Stoke, while his vulnerability at set pieces sends palpitations through me when we line-up.
    Cadiz
  • My point being they know the cost of everything and the real value of nothing. they will sell any player that makes them a profit, regardless of the effect on the clubs on field exploits. watch this space! PS Its got nothing to do with financial necessity, its called greed
  • bigoak said:
    My point being they know the cost of everything and the real value of nothing. they will sell any player that makes them a profit, regardless of the effect on the clubs on field exploits. watch this space! PS Its got nothing to do with financial necessity, its called greed
    Dan may well go this summer but football is a business not a charity and books need to be balanced in all businesses. Sigurdsson was off in the summer of 2016, the owners held their nerve and sold him in the summer of 2017, yes, they got more for him but Sigurdsson kept us up for one more season, more or less single handedly. That's not greed, that's good business.
    There's been little greed since they arrived, mistakes, yes but nothing has been embezzled like some of the conspiracists believe.
  • As good as Nordfeldt is in setting up passes from the back, as a keeper he has huge deficiencies in his locker. Was that shot from McClean that good he wasn't able to get down quick enough v Stoke, while his vulnerability at set pieces sends palpitations through me when we line-up.
    Perhaps Nordfeldt could have done better - but I would say he was more unlucky than anything, with the ball bouncing just in front of him. In that situation he would have had to guess how much it would bounce, and he just guessed wrong, palming the ball higher into the net. If you had to blame anyone for that goal I would find fault with Dyer, who was easily brushed off by McClean and then didn't make any attempt to get a block on.

In general Nordfeldt's shot stopping has been decent. It's certainly true that Nordfeldt is weak in the air, but we have been rather spoilt by Fabianski who was consistently one of the best in the Premier League under the high ball. Also, it's easy to give too much emphasis to things that cause us as supporters anxiety, and not give appropriate weight to Nordfeldt's distribution - which gave him an assist recently. He also initiated the move, with a brave pass, that led to Celina's wonder goal against Man City. On balance Nordfeldt is a good keeper, and I'm sure Potter would rather he stayed than left. I would be surprised if Mulder didn't leave at the end of the season - because he should have some suitors, and it makes sense to free up space for Benda to progress and save money off the wage bill in the process.
  • Wyn,
    the initial error for Stoke’s goal came on our left side when indecision between 2 Swans players saw Stoke move the ball over to the left. There might have been a bounce but for me Nordfeldt lacks agility.

There are times in every game when the perseverance in passing the ball out is quite suicidal while on many occasion he has been lucky to clear the ball when he is closed down.

His unwillingness to assist his defenders and come off his line is an embarrassment for an International keeper and will continue to be the team’s Achilles heel when facing your stereotype teams of ‘getting the ball into the mixer,’ to such an extent that the team will have to score more goals than the opposition.For those old enough, reminiscent of Steve Potter during the mid-seventies and regular matches where the score line was 3-3, 4-3, 4-4.

• it's horses for courses though, Colin.

we are a Championship side, and while Benda is the future, for sure. We dont have the luxury of a Fabianski.

So we choose the slightly technically better saver in Mulder. Or the cool and way superior distribution of Nordfeldt.

Let's not forget, Kris has hardly played a game before this season, which has also been interrupted by injury. 

I think he has improved in his game. But has some way to go to be as commanding as the Big Pole.

But the improvement Potter has made to others in the squad, including VdH. I think he's worth a new contract.
  • if Nordfelt was avg in terms of commanding the box then no probs but he showed again today that he is useless in the air. Has to be sold. Mulder is willing to try and command the box. Benda needs to move up and Zabret needs to know he has a way to progress too
  • edited April 13
    Reading the comments on this thread I'm amazed to be honest, only Bigoak seems to be awake to what this is really about.

This isn't some sudden pang of conscience from the Yanks, or a long overdue outbreak of footballing common sense. 

This is a red flashing warning light for the next part of their plan. 

- Let all the experienced out of contract players on decent money walk away in the summer, like Fer and VdH
    - Sell Dan, Connor, McBurnie, etc for any old rope
    - Tell Potter to blood as many youngsters from their shiny, still Category 1 Academy "sweat the asset, man"
    - Turn us into Crewe by 2021 i.e. a club run on peanuts, with an Under 23 squad masquerading as a 'first team' that flits between L1 and L2, never really threatens to go anywhere. 

That is what is going to happen. Anyone who doesn't see where this is heading needs to wakey-wakey. 
  • Gar I said as it is,are we going to be an upgrade on Crewe yo yo in from league one to championship playing lovely football on our day and getting smashed on another day but producing good footballers selling them on. But instead of surviving in league 2 like Crewe we’ll be surviving in league 1/ championship.lets be fair 2 years down the line I think that’s the way we’re heading. Bring it on I say.
  • Brownie said:
    Gar I said as it is,are we going to be an upgrade on Crewe yo yo in from league one to championship playing lovely football on our day and getting smashed on another day but producing good footballers selling them on. But instead of surviving in league 2 like Crewe we’ll be surviving in league 1/ championship.lets be fair 2 years down the line I think that’s the way we’re heading. Bring it on I say.
    Less than a season under his belt and you are resembling the club akin to a yo yo club, give Potter a chance for FFS!
  • Your obviously not reading my posts col, iff potter is backed and most of the squad is kept then we’ll be competitive, but iff he’s got to sell most of his squad and rely on the academy then there’s only one outcome that I can see. And that is bring on the youngsters sell them on and be a yo yo club. But I don’t think he’ll stay on and buy in to that do you?
  • Brownie,
    in all honesty we don’t know what is going to happen. Until then I will reserve judgement and not accept rumour 
  • I agree col but iff we’re not going to discuss what could happen then we might as well pack up this forum and say what’s the point!
  • Brownie said:
    I agree col but iff we’re not going to discuss what could happen then we might as well pack up this forum and say what’s the point!
    Nothing wrong with discussing the fortunes of the club but there needs to be a balance  between fact, rumour and supposition.

Better how?