Comments

• Great player Mark, loved him in a white shirt. Match changer with an intensity not seen these days. 
  • I’ll never ever forget that tackle. Classic Tommy. These days it would have been a straight red. RIP Tommy
  • edited April 12
    Born 1945-- the best of years.
    It was one of the greatest things to see him marauding down at the Vetch. Even when his best days were behind him he had great skill and gave it all he had.He obviously loved every minute on the pitch.and the crowd loved him back.
    Sad news,condolences to his family and friends.
  • wasnt just a hard man. he could play more than just a bit. a very good passer of the ball.

And let's not forget he scored Liverpool's 2nd goal in the European Cup Final in '77.
  • Just what the Swans needed at that time.  Is my mind playing tricks or did he score direct from a corner kick when he was with us?  I have this memory of sitting in the double decker and him scoring like that in front of the East Bank.  As Shankly supposedly said, "Tommy Smith wasn't born, he was quarried."

RIP Tommy.  
  • At the time ,he and Cally were stella signings. They hapled our club rise.Tommy never forgot his short time with us .
    His comments vis a vis racism towards Howard Gayle and black people were honest and were what white people,at that time felt and said as much. Sadly, that honesty has seen his otherwise good name dragged down into the sewer on another site. Skin crawling stuff. RIP Tommy.
  • Those where the days , Ian Callaghan could pass a 40 mt ball onto a sixpence, and the great hero of all swans fans who where privileged to watch him ,the fearsome wonderful Tommy Smith. they called us Liverpool old guard back then, will never forget that Spurs game and then  the away game , where we where just magnificent.   3 1 and could have been five. I am the proud owner of a shirt from that game. RIP Tommy son, Your latter years where undeserved riddled with arthritis and the evil that is dementia. will always be a swan and we share the Kops grief at your passing.

Proud to say, I was there when Tommy welcomed the ponces of Spurs to the capitol of Welsh football

RIP SIR TOMMY SMITH A TRUE SWANS /LIVERPOOL LEGEND 
  • edited April 16
    Never really liked him and lost any respect for him when he got hit by something on the arm and pretended it had hit him on the head in an away European game.

Nothing hard about the tackles him and ilk used to do. Going in studs up you're never going to get hurt yourself.

Turns out he was a bit of a racist as well.
  • bigoak said:
     they called us Liverpool old guard back then
    I preferred to call Liverpool the Swansea Youth Team.
  • barry said:
    Never really liked him and lost any respect for him when he got hit by something on the arm and pretended it had hit him on the head in an away European game.

Nothing hard about the tackles him and ilk used to do. Going in studs up you're never going to get hurt yourself.

What a sad post Barry, He was not ther only one who had a reputation in those days for hard tackerling, remember Chopper Harris? or Hunter of Leeds amoungst many. was a state of the game back then/ As for being a racist, maybe. but before you judge, did you ever watch Love they nahibour or Alf Garnett ? did you laugh at these popular TV programs? of watch the black & white minstrels?  It was accepted main stream viewing back then, does not make it right, but if we laughed at these p[programs, does that mean we ares a racist too? 
  • bigoak said:
    barry said:

What a sad post Barry, He was not ther only one who had a reputation in those days for hard tackerling, remember Chopper Harris? or Hunter of Leeds amoungst many. was a state of the game back then/ As for being a racist, maybe. but before you judge, did you ever watch Love they nahibour or Alf Garnett ? did you laugh at these popular TV programs? of watch the black & white minstrels?  It was accepted main stream viewing back then, does not make it right, but if we laughed at these p[programs, does that mean we ares a racist too? 
    Have the decency to make your post readable with proper punctuation and I'll try and read it. Can't be bothered otherwise.
  • Well, that's a bit rude Barry! 
    bigoak
  • A good sportsman does not always equal a good human being sadly....
  • barry said:
    bigoak said:
    barry said:

Have the decency to make your post readable with proper punctuation and I'll try and read it. Can't be bothered otherwise.
    BARRY Your original post showed a lack of character and intelligence , the latest shows one can add ignorance to those very unfortunate traits. I have suffered with the scurf of dyslexia all my life, yet have traveled the globe as paid executive as for intellect i would put mine against a moron like you and win any time.  The fact you judge someone based on an infliction shows what you are/. now totally ignored. go and crawl back into your small flat and in future if you dont have something constructive to say, shut up son!! 
  • Im afraid people were exactly like Tom Smith in the seventies,even in the apparently racism free nirvana that is south Wales. Its how people viewed things and yes my own mum would have been mortified if my sister brought home a black guy;worse if he impregnated her.It was as it was. Trust me,Swansea was as racist as Liverpool,Bristol ,Glasgow or Newcastle. We have moved on and that is good but we see too many attempts to stereotype certain cities and Liverpool is one,of that there is not doubt. 
    bigoak
  • cecil said:
    Im afraid people were exactly like Tom Smith in the seventies,even in the apparently racism free nirvana that is south Wales. Its how people viewed things and yes my own mum would have been mortified if my sister brought home a black guy;worse if he impregnated her.It was as it was. Trust me,Swansea was as racist as Liverpool,Bristol ,Glasgow or Newcastle. We have moved on and that is good but we see too many attempts to stereotype certain cities and Liverpool is one,of that there is not doubt. 
    I remember the racist "Brynmill Freedom Fighter" graffiti around the Uplands, so well aware of this in and around Swansea growing up in the 70s and early 80s.

Smith did an interview in the mid 80s too, still spouting these views. 
  • I live in close proximity to Detroit and attend pretty frequent Lions games. The ticket prices make for an audience lacking diversity, but liquored up like International day in Cardiff.
    It never ceases to amaze me that individuals with beer bellies spout white supremacy bigotry and bile while paying over a hundred bucks to watch a team of black men whose physical attributes and work ethic have propelled them to elite status - It was always thus I guess, but whatever the era there is a responsibility on us all to check our behaviour and challenge ourselves to be better. 

Being typical of the age does not make it right, and for that reason Tommy Smith is a sporting icon but a very flawed role model
    barry
  • I didn't suggest it was right merely an expression of timezeist. We are all flawed .Everyone. Some try to learn and become better. Some do not
    Jackaremebigoak
  • cecil said:
    I didn't suggest it was right merely an expression of timezeist. We are all flawed .Everyone. Some try to learn and become better. Some do not
    POst of the year Cecil
  • Jackareme do you go and watch the lions! I’m a massive browns fan for obvious reasons and have been since the early eighties on c4 with mick luckhurst. Love the nfl never miss a week.
  • I know I started this post, but having read this, I see him in a much different light. Not one I like:
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/03/howard-gayle-being-liverpool-first-black-player-was-difficult
    Great article.....Tommy Smith, legend (?) hardman, but ultimately a racist and a coward.

Well done Howard for standing up to him and well done Graeme Souness. 

The ian Wright series a few months back was an excellent take on the struggles of black players in the game. Some of the content was shocking
    barryMark_Jack_London
  • Brownie said:
    Jackareme do you go and watch the lions! I’m a massive browns fan for obvious reasons and have been since the early eighties on c4 with mick luckhurst. Love the nfl never miss a week.
    Yes - I am just a 40 minute commute across the border to Detroit. Enjoyable day out for sure, plenty of drunk people and an expensive day, but downtown Detroit is an awesome place. The Lions are the most cursed franchise in the whole of american sports, but may be a bit better this year..The Browns will be a major force this year - a lot of clever money on them for the Super Bowl - you should be in for a VERY enjoyable season
  • edited April 20
    Good luck with NFL lads,can't get into it,Strangely though I have got into Baseball on BT Sport in the last couple of Summers.It passes the close season until the Pre season kicks off.
  • Actually I almost prefer the baseball @moorlands - It is much less intense, more sociable and the weather is normally great. plus you can get in to Comerica Park to watch the Tigers for $10 and pretty much pick your seat. A very different experience to the high octane beer filled NFL experience (although something to be said for both)
  • I have to say from the TV coverage  that baseball always seems to be a real family day out.I have found the mechanics of pitching as explained in the commentaries  to be helpful in following the game.Good to hear that the tickets are so reasonably priced  for the fans too.
    If the game of Baseball can be run so well over there , wouldn't it be great if our American owners could expend the same sort of energy on our Club too?
  • I know we are a little off line here @moorlands, but one of the reasons baseball is so cheap is that there is a regular season that lasts 162 games, so with 81 home games between end of April and September and a stadium that holds c.30,000 it is not difficult to lay your hands on a ticket. it is a very relaxing afternoon for sure, and most of the fun is the banter with the rest of the fans because the game is pretty slow moving.