balancing the books

We all know Birch has got to clear out the loan players and others that have not featured in order to keep the young guns together.

But how much are they actually worth? And we have to face facts, we wont be making any profit on some, if any of them. But Birch will need to at least try and cover their amortisation value.

Borja signed on a 4 year contract in 2016 worth £15.5m. Works out at £3.875m/year. So if Birch can get £4m, that's good business in my book. And a possibility from a team in Spain, where he will inevitably end up, as he is proven there.

Jordan Ayew's contract also has one year to go. I didnt realise this but the fee was only up to £5m + Neil Taylor. So the £4m fee being touted in the press as the offer from Palace, is not such a bad deal knowing that. If he can squeeze some more, then all good. 

Andre Ayew's situation is more complex. He was signed for £18m rising to £20m (I suspect that didnt happen because we went down). Now West Ham probably still owed us half of the £20.5m fee they owed us. So with 2 years left on his 3.5 year deal, the nett cost was c£8m, so with 2 years left on his deal, we owe £4.5m. I think Birch can get at least double that, as he is a proven international striker. Possibly a lot more if Chinese clubs come back into the frame. 

Others in the frame to leave will be TC. He only costs us £4.5m, apparently. So again, there's about £1.3m left owing. I think Birch can probably get at least £4m for him if he goes.

Jeff? his initial contract was done in 2018. so there is no fees outstanding. his injury record is awful. So if Birch can get a couple of £m, then he'll have done well.

With these 5 players, plus freeing up wages of out of contract players Bony and Fer could possibly save us around £7-8m in wages and NI, on top of the wages saved from the transferred players.

I have a feeling Fer will go, but WR will stay on reduced terms, as he has shown far more value to the team since he has returned to the squad with Nathan.

I think this will go a big way into balancing the books.

Comments

• Agree with all of that MJL - but remember that as well as the amortization (i think your guesses are pretty good) there is also the salary savings - for the two Ayews, Borja Narsingh Carrol and Montero this would easily be 10 million - add in Bony and we are getting into significant savings - particularly when the replacements are James Celina Ollie Byersetc.
    I think Birch is savvy enough to try and protect our young core of talent and the academy supply line - early indications are good.
  • I often wonder how these highly paid  loan players feel, being paid in part by the parent club yet having nothing to do with it.Especially Borja who has barely spent any time here over several years.I know I am  old fashioned but it would embarrass me.
  • I mentioned the savings in wages - mainly because most were/are on loan. So hard to decide how much we are saving.
    Jackareme
  • I often wonder how these highly paid  loan players feel, being paid in part by the parent club yet having nothing to do with it.Especially Borja who has barely spent any time here over several years.I know I am  old fashioned but it would embarrass me.
    No need to wonder they don't have s**t especially Borja.

At first I thought Borja was unlucky and just didn't get a real chance but seasons 2 and 3 prove he is just not willing to try working for his employers!!

Although to be fair it would be interesting to know of all the players out on loan how much of the wages Swansea are still paying (does anyone know this?)
  • I think Borja would do well under Potter, but we will never see it happen. If James and Ollie go, we should keep Montero and try Borja. Even though Montero gets injured, his contribution to winning games in perhaps 12 -15 games a season is worth it.
  • Dai come on now,Montero can only play when the sun shines and forget Borja even though he’s a class player.saw him play a few years back for deportivo he had a young winger called Pizzi who now plays for Benfica linking with him they were both outstanding.i guarantee you Jeff and Borja will not be playing in the uk next season!