Match Discussion: Swans U23s v Tottenham Hotspur U23s - Premier League 2 - 2018/19

edited April 16 in Swansea City
The Swans U23s face Tottenham Hotspur in the Premier League 2 at the Liberty Stadium tonight (7pm).

The Swans are six points from safety with two games to go which means they must win both games and hope results go their way if they are to remain in the top tier of development football.

Entry to the game at the Liberty is FREE but supporters are encouraged to make a donation to the Teenage Cancer Trust.

Alternatively you can watch the game on swanseacity.com from 7pm this evening.

Comments

• Benda, Reid,Cabango, Harries, Govea, Paulet, de Boer, Evans, Garrick, Cullen, Jones Thomas

Bench: Zabret, King, Price, Maric, Brandon Cooper

Good team that. 
  • For all those that have been clamouring for the likes of Benda, Cabango, Garrick etc. to be given 1st team opportunities, strange nobody has bothered posting after last night’s match v Spurs
  • Don't think Benda did anything to make me change my mind about him being given game time this season. Totally agree with you on the others though, they're another season at least away from the first team, if ever in some cases
  • deekay said:
    Don't think Benda did anything to make me change my mind about him being given game time this season. Totally agree with you on the others though, they're another season at least away from the first team, if ever in some cases
    Disappointed with the Harries & Cabango partnership, and Govea. I missed the Garrick substitution, was he injured?
    Good to see De Boer and Jones-Thomas developing.

• Tap the brakes on Govea - he has been on a huge layoff and looked a lot less than match fit - need to see more of him.
  • Jackareme said:
    Tap the brakes on Govea - he has been on a huge layoff and looked a lot less than match fit - need to see more of him.
    He was taking the corners from the opposite side. Probably help knackered him out,
  • I was very, very disappointed with Harries last night. He always looked as though he was about to make a mistake, and often did. His passing was poor with several passes going straight out of play or to one of their players. I thought Cabango covered well for him. I still believe Cabango has the makings of a good player and is better than Joe Rodon was at this age. He needs to go out on loan next season, but to somewhere where he will get some good and meaningful gametime under his belt.

Govea looked useful going forward but was caught out defensively a couple of times. Like Jackareme, I think we should cut him some slack as he has missed most of the season through injury.

Garrick did suffer an injury just before he was subbed.

De Boer looks promising but he and Paulet didn't gell well last night. Having watched him many times this season, I am struggling to see any sort of a decent player in Paulet. 
  • Don't think Benda did anything to make me change my mind about him being given game time this season. Totally agree with you on the others though, they're another season at least away from the first team, if ever in some cases
  • Apologies for repeat post, it came from my phone and I can't delete it
  • deekay said:
    Don't think Benda did anything to make me change my mind about him being given game time this season. Totally agree with you on the others though, they're another season at least away from the first team, if ever in some cases
    deekay,
    From last night’s line-up, Reid and non-used sub Adam King are out of contract and I will be really surprised if either get a new offer. Not sure if Cullen and Kieran Evans have signed new deals as I think they are both in their last few months. 
    I noticed the Spurs l/back trod on Garrick's foot midway through the 1st half and hopefully it was not his hamstring which forced him to be replaced, while Govea needs to start next season fully fit for us to assess his potential.

Benda, Cabango, Harries, Paulet, Garrick, Zabret, Maric, Brandon Cooper are under contract, as is Oli Cooper and Joe Lewis, while I am not sure if Matthew Blake is out of contract as are Tom Price, Adam King, Keston Davies and Jack Withers. 
    Mason Jones-Thomas, Rushesha, Dan Williams, Cameron Evans, Cameron Berry and possibly Jacob Jones and one or two others will be supplementing the squad from the U18's. 

• edited April 16
    I am one that's been clamouring for Garrick, Benda and Cabango @Colin_swansea

I still say blood a couple. They're long term. If they go on loan, fair enough but as we've seen with DJ loans aren't always beneficial. 

Just a shame the u23s got relegated 
  • Colin

Yes, I think it was Garrick's foot and not a hamstring problem that forced him off. I think a few of those you mentioned will be released as their presence could hold back opportunities for the u18's coming through. Looking at those names, I'm still astounded that CBR and Biabi got extensions to their contracts, especially as they will both be 24 next season.

I've been surprised at how little game time Dhanda has been given this side of Xmas. He has been in the first team squad a couple of times, so I'm assuming fitness isn't an issue. How is he going develop when he's not playing ? 

SVJack

Benda, a definite starter for me, but the other two should only be given 10-15 mins max at the end of a game. Not ready to start yet. Just my opinion of course
  • deekay,
    I remember reading either after or before Xmas that Dhanda had hired a personal trainer, former Swans player Carl Mainwaring I assume to improve his fitness levels.
  • I'd heard the same, but as he has been in and around the first team on a couple of occasions since Xmas, I'm assuming he is at a decent level. That makes it even more strange that he's not getting any gametime.