2018/19 player season ratings.

One game left I know, but here's my player by player assessment for 2018/19.

Disclaimer: other opinions are available.

Nordtfeldt: 5/10. A very good shot stopper capable of some brilliant saves. Sadly, let down by a total lack of ability to command his penalty area in a division where you have to be able to deal with aerial balls. Needs replacing.

Mulder: 7/10. Looked like find of the season until Potter dropped him, was 9/10 at that point. But seemed to struggle with confidence after being axed. Worth persevering with, even if as a very able No2.

Naughton: 7/10. Usual lapses in concentration on and off throughout the season, but on the whole acquitted himself much better at this level and very versatile as well, was excellent in midfield. Useful to have around at this level.

John: 3/10. Sorry, but hasn't looked anywhere near up to it. Think Potter knows too. Would get rid, if we can get an upgrade.

Roberts: 8/10. Mr Consistency. Again, asked to play a number of positions, always acquitted himself well. A real find.

Olsson: 6/10. Did ok in early part of season but injury prone and I wouldn't be in a rush to give him a new deal.

VdHoorn: 8/10. Very consistent and looked comfortable at this level. Should be made club captain next year.

Rodon: 7/10. Another good find. Shame he couldn't play more. Lot to learn but bags of ability.

CCV: 6/10. A bit beige for me. Sometimes looked good. Sometimes shocking. No tears shed if not made a permanent deal.

Fulton: 6/10. A limited but honest player who never let us down effort wise just hasn't got the required quality.

Byers: 7/10. I have really enjoyed watching him. You can see at times he's got loads to learn but the quality is clearly there.

Grimes: 8/10. Definitely our best midfielder, in my view not the second coming of Leon that some have had him down as, but definitely a player we want to be building around for next season.

Fer: 6/10. Saw nothing I didn't already know - occasional flashes but mostly poor. Wouldn't give him a new contract, far too flaky and Potter dropped a massive bollock making him club captain.

Montero: 6/10. Was mostly brilliant, when fit, which (unfortunately) wasn't often enough, again. I wouldn't give him a new deal. Time to move on.

Dyer: 7/10. An old stalwart having an Indian summer and made a big difference second half of season. Worth another year.

Routledge: 7/10. See Dyer.

Asoro: 4/10. I have struggled to see anything there but maybe Potter can work his magic on him next year.

McKay: 5/10. Has actually made some very key contributions at times such as winner at Bolton, for that I give him an extra mark, but otherwise as underwhelming as Asoro. Seems to cower in a fight. Don't like that.

James: 9/10. Imo player of the year, just been an absolute joy to watch and his development month on month has been astonishing. A Premier League player in waiting.

Celina: 7/10. A frustrating player who can drift in and out of games but I have enjoyed more than I have not. Clearly talented just needs to apply it more often.

McBurnie: 7/10. Again, I think loads to learn especially build up and hold up play, but you can't argue with the goals. An old fashioned poacher.

CBR: 5/10. I give him an extra mark for effort and work rate but he's not a Championship player in all honesty. We need better cover than this.

I haven't reviewed Harries, Fernandez, Carroll, Narsingh, Bony, Dhanda (or anyone else I've missed) simply because they didn't get enough game time to warrant a fair mark.

Manager, Graham Potter: 9.5/10. Manager of the Year. Loses half a mark for Fer captaincy decision, and occasionally eating himself tactically, but has produced the best football since Laudrup in extremely challenging circumstances.

Cimlaswan

Comments

• Agree with most of this @garythenotrashcougar. A very well presented assessment. 

I'd bump Grimes upto a 9. 

At least someone sees what I see in Fulton...not a lot. He did add steel Wednesday night but I still don't know his proper position. Mcburnie with 20+ goals, I'd bump to a 8

I'd bump routledge upto a 8. Give him a new one year contract

I hope we have zero intention of making CCV permanent. 
  • Pretty fair assessment @garythenotrashcougar

I think there is more chance of Asoro coming good than Mckay on the basis that Asoro has just turned 20 and will (may) learn through the experience of playing, whereas Mckay is 24 and has played in excess of 200 games at a professional first team level and I just don't see what he offers (in fact he is so poor and his pathetic efforts jogging around and not making any really attempt to tackle makes my blood boil).

CCV is an interesting one as it seems people may be split on him, personally I think he would be a handy squad member, so I wouldn't be disappointed if he signed again.

• Gary
    Good summary for each player
    Only question the rating of Declan John
    He might better be thought of as a squad player / reserve LB so I would be inclined to look for a first choice LB and keep DJ as a reserve
    Other than that can't disagree with any of those comments
  • Anyone who scores over 20 goals in a season deserves more than 7. No wonder he'll fcuk off in the summer. You don't deserve him. 
    SwansballerPabloMark_Jack_London
  • Thanks for the feedback @Daitumble

My life is enriched for knowing your opinion on just one of the 23 assessments I made, that was well worth waiting for. 
  • Lads stop this silly bickering, we all have opinions try and respect other peoples views, no matter what each person on this forum thinks (and they can have an opinion) its not us minions or mushrooms that sort things it the Owners, and the board that will do what they feel is best for them first the club second we have no input but we have opinions, myself am hoping Mr Birch can get the owners to back Mr Potter, and give the players he wants to keep contracts that will be good for the player AND the club
    I can dream that we all can live together with no us and them
     (not holding my breath tho lol
  • Wow guys how did this thread end up as an argument? 
    Great start @garythenotrashcougar - I agree with the upgrades for McBurnie and Grimes. I would also (if we have half marks) like to bump Celina up, as he has brought a ton of quality at a young age. I also think that having Wayne and Nathan on the same mark is a bit harsh on Wayne, who has clearly contributed more goals and assists, and his attitude has been amazing - so half a point for evergreen Wayne as well.
    it is a VERY short sample size of 2 games - but your comments re Declan John might just be a bit premature as well. Granted he is a defensive liability - but has looked lively going forward, and has one major asset that is hard to find - genuine pace.
    Great debate though - I enjoyed reading your reviews and considering my own.
  • Jackareme said:
    Wow guys how did this thread end up as an argument? 
    Great start @garythenotrashcougar - I agree with the upgrades for McBurnie and Grimes. I would also (if we have half marks) like to bump Celina up, as he has brought a ton of quality at a young age. I also think that having Wayne and Nathan on the same mark is a bit harsh on Wayne, who has clearly contributed more goals and assists, and his attitude has been amazing - so half a point for evergreen Wayne as well.
    it is a VERY short sample size of 2 games - but your comments re Declan John might just be a bit premature as well. Granted he is a defensive liability - but has looked lively going forward, and has one major asset that is hard to find - genuine pace.
    Jackareme,
    Declan can only play in a left wingback role in front of a 3 c/back system as what played yesterday at Ewood Park. In a flat back four he will get found out time and time again.

Granted he has pace, but he is one footed and lacks any physical attributes or defensive positioning, taken to the cleaners on many occasions by Armstrong yesterday.

Dont get carried away with his cameo v Derby or during a first half at Ewood, but there is a reason why Potter hasn’t given him more game time. Defensively he is a liability. 

Having said that about Declan, I scratch my head and fail to understand what GP thinks about playing Nordfeldt every week. 
  • Not getting carried away at all @Colin_swansea if you re read my comments. He does need to have limited defensive duties, but he is rated at International level, and there have been many a good/great player with one foot. In my experience what separates the best prospects from the also rans is genuine pace.  He has it. When DJ moves on we will be looking for some "wheels" out wide. Just saying it is too early to write him off and 3/10 is VERY harsh when Nordfeldt and CBR get a 5...all about opinions.
  • Jackareme said:
    Wow guys how did this thread end up as an argument? 
    Thanks Jackareme, I have to say I thought the same as well, unfortunately there are some people on this forum who could start a fight in a phonebox.

My biggest problem is I'll never shy away from hitting back (maybe I should do that more, but there we are) but it never ceases to amaze me the number of people on here who do nothing but prod, poke and belittle others views whilst offering absolutely no discernible opinion of their own. There are several. 

In all fairness to you, MJL, Colin S, and Cadleigh (to name but a few) - I may not always agree with your views (and vice versa!) but I know exactly where you all are on the subjects that matter which makes it much easier to enter into debate. Sometimes those debates get 'heated' shall we say but at least you know exactly where you are and I enjoy it. 
    Jackareme
  • SVJack said:
    Agree with most of this @garythenotrashcougar. A very well presented assessment. 

At least someone sees what I see in Fulton...not a lot. He did add steel Wednesday night but I still don't know his proper position. Mcburnie with 20+ goals, I'd bump to a 8

this thread is highly subjective because I've thought CCV one of our best performers this season. It just goes to show how opinions differ. and then Declan John goes and has another good game! these opinions can easily change. A couple of good eye-catching performances and it'll alter perceptions. Awarding numbers though...it's a bit of fun rather than being in any way scientific. A bit like reading your horoscope, plus of course people have their prejudices and can't help a bit of favouritism
  • edited May 7
    Pablo
    As Jackareme posted earlier, it's all about opinion
  • Pablo
    As Jackareme posted earlier, it's all about opinion
    yes Colin, and some opinion is based on hard evidence and sometimes a whim.
  • Pablo said:
    SVJack said:
    Agree with most of this @garythenotrashcougar. A very well presented assessment. 

this thread is highly subjective because I've thought CCV one of our best performers this season. It just goes to show how opinions differ. and then Declan John goes and has another good game! these opinions can easily change. A couple of good eye-catching performances and it'll alter perceptions. Awarding numbers though...it's a bit of fun rather than being in any way scientific. A bit like reading your horoscope, plus of course people have their prejudices and can't help a bit of favouritism
    Going to break with tradition for once and actually share your full player by player opinion then? Or just content to leave it at the usual sniping and bitching about others' opinions without offering jack shit from yourself?
    Gingergit
  • Gary,
    for the first time in years I have missed many home and away matches, let alone being unable to take in the 23’s at Landore, but for what it’s worth here is my two pennyworth.

Nordfelt: 4/10, if you can’t do the basics in the EFL you will get found out, and conceding over 20 gls from set pieces should set the alarm bells ringing inside GP’s head. Nordfeldt possesses lead boots and his inability to change direction is embarrassing for an International keeper. GP looks to his keeper to start movements but as well as KN offloads to his defenders a high % of his passes are plain suicidal. Still under contract. 

Mulder: 6/10. For quite a number of matches when he replaced Nordfeldt he was the bees knees coming off his line to catch the ball but whether it was because of GP’s insistence to zonal marking, for some reason Mulder became a clone of Nordfeldt. In all reality a club can’t keep 2 keepers touching 30 years of age who share the same values and I think he needs to be moved on. Still under contract.

Naughton: 7/10. One of those players who has been the butt of the fans fury over the years but has been a consistent player in the EFL for us. A good solid pro. Still under contract.

John: 5/10. A poor acquisition and hopefully the last player that can be tagged as a HJ signing. Has done well in a w/back role recently but as a defender in a flat back 4, sadly not good enough. 2 years left on his contract.

Roberts: 8/10. Take away the crunching tackles Connor reminds me of an attacking Wyndham Evans and his rearing reflects well on the club’s academy. Slots in well with GP’s tactics but there were times he needs to be reminded of his responsibilities in defence. 2 years on his contract I think.

Olsson: 6/10. Salaries need to be cropped and his lack of consistency last season prior to his injury leads to him being moved on. Out of contract this month.

VdHoorn: 8/10. Consistent thro’ the season but can we turn down an offer north of £8m should it materialise? I don’t think he is that commanding a player or even captain material and it remains to be seen if he will commit himself to more than 1 year contract wise. If he doesn’t and there is genuine interest move him on, we had £4m for Bartley don’t forget. A 1 year option taken up by club at moment.

Rodon: 8/10. My belief he is a better c/back than CCV, aerially, defensively and moving forward with the ball. A big learning curve last season after a so so half season at Cheltenham. Impressed during the early stages last season when our defence actually looked capable of keeping a clean sheet. 2 or 3 years left on his contract

CCV: 6/10. Considering he was a US International he took sometime to settle down especially after loan periods at Sheffield. Utd and Ipswich, but there aren’t many 5-9 c/backs in the EFL for a reason. Return to Spurs.

Fulton: 6/10. An honest, squad player who lacks the qualities to be one of the first on the teamsheet consistently thro’ the season. Amazing to be given a new deal that last another 2 seasons.

Byers: 8/10. One of the players I questioned often as good enough for the 1st team when he was playing for the 23’s. His inclusion has given the club another dimension in midfield and he is only going to get better. Think he has 2 years left on his contract.

Grimes: 9/10. The confidence instilled in him from GP, not only as a midfielder but also as one of 3 c/backs has made a mockery of his reputation from failed loan apps at Leeds and Blackburn in previous seasons. What we hav’nt seen from him yet is his ability to score consistently from long range, but that will come. Superb reading of the game and passing vision. 2 years left I think.

Fer: 6/10. A player who has always been in and out of the game and also a player that we can’t carry in the EFL on his salary. Out of contract.

Montero: 5/10. His brilliance of old was highlighted on few occasions and a bit part player throughout the season. 1 year left on his contract but hopefully can be moved on.

Dyer: 6/10. The EFL suits him and no doubt will be a useful squad member in his last season next year with us.

Routledge: 8/10. Confounded so many critics this season especially playing the lone striker. Out of contract but hopefully the club’s finances will stretch to warrant a new deal.

Asoro: 5/10. Disappointed in his appearances but hopefully at 19 can kick on next season. His jack of composure on the ball is worrying but if he can add that criteria to his pace then we could have a good addition to the squad. 2 years left.

McKay: 6/10. In and out of a game, doesn’t like to get involved in the physical part of the game but has been able to contribute to some notable results this season. Squad player at best. 2 years left.

James: 10/10. Given the opportunity this season and took it in his stride making an outstanding impact this season that puts the fans on their feet in anticipation of what he is going to do next. Appears to be plenty of clubs interested in him while fans naturally phope the winger will sign a new deal. A great advertisement once again for our academy but sadly the club’s finances will dictate where he will be next August.

Celina: 8/10. Sometimes frustrating, sometimes invisible in midfield but nevertheless a magical, game changer on the ball. His first full season could attribute to his drifting in and out of a game but hopefully next season he can increase his effectiveness on a game. 2/3 years left.

McBurnie: 9/10. His first full season at this level, no other striker in the squad to share the burden, his ability to play another position, wide left, saw him continue to add his name on the goal sheet to score a remarkable 23 goals. What he loses in physicality he more than makes up with his ability on or off the ball. 2 years left.

CBR: 6/10. Continues to baffle the fans with his goals and his overall performances in the EFL but GP appears to have confidence in him to do a job. 1 year left.

Ditto as Gary mentioned for Harries, Fernandez, Carroll, Narsingh, Bony, Dhanda

Manager, Graham Potter: 9.5/10. Outstanding achievement to turn around a rudderless ship to such dramatic effect. Tactically he can be questioned but us mere fans aren’t aware of what goes on inside a dressing room or on the training field that make up his decision making, but to swiftly turn around a club and put the smiles on the fans faces is something no one expected. Can appear to be stubborn in persisting with certain players he selects but to his credit since taking over the lack of tools in his toolbox has given fans hope that the club really has a future.

JackaremegarythenotrashcougarJeff_Cowbridge
  • Pablo said:
    SVJack said:

Going to break with tradition for once and actually share your full player by player opinion then? Or just content to leave it at the usual sniping and bitching about others' opinions without offering jack shit from yourself?
    As I've given my opinion already Gary, what is your point, and where is the 'sniping' and 'bitching'? Perhaps you can point it out to me? or are you just a pumped up little man looking to cause a little bit of a keyboard warrior dust-up over nothing?

and why do you care about the players and your trite assessments by giving them marks out of ten? you're not even buying a season ticket next season to show those owners a thing or two. embezzlers that they are! Though looks like there's little to no evidence. Yet more insight into the Trashy character....odious and suspicious, lacking in generosity but quick to slander. 

• Pablo said:
    Pablo said:
    SVJack said:

As I've given my opinion already Gary, what is your point, and where is the 'sniping' and 'bitching'? Perhaps you can point it out to me? or are you just a pumped up little man looking to cause a little bit of a keyboard warrior dust-up over nothing?

and why do you care about the players and your trite assessments by giving them marks out of ten? you're not even buying a season ticket next season to show those owners a thing or two. embezzlers that they are! Though looks like there's little to no evidence. Yet more insight into the Trashy character....odious and suspicious, lacking in generosity but quick to slander. 

That answers my question. Thanks Pablo
  • @Colin_swansea

Enjoyed reading your assessments. I think we're more or less on the same page there
  • Gary giving Potter 9.5/10 despite criticising him for most of the season
    barry
  • Charlie10 said:
    Gary giving Potter 9.5/10 despite criticising him for most of the season
    Yeah of course, except if you keyword search this site for "Manager Of The Year" you'll find my name against it on about a dozen separate posts since August. Go on, do it. 

You absolute muppet.