CCV

Think this guy has had been the direct opposite to Mckay, as a newbie under Potter. 
He has been given the game time, taken his chance, and has improved as a player, under GP and his staff’s coaching. 
Hope Birch can convince the Hedge funders, to think the same, and sign him up, or extend his loan for another season. 
Joe Rodon would be my first choice, but will Van The Man be happy with just a year’s extension to his contract ?
Obviously, if we fail to keep the both of them, (CCV & VDH) we need to find another 2 centre backs, to fit the “playing out from the back” Potter style. 
Not easy, especially when our illustrious leaders, have previously pontificated.....
“ There is more hard medicine to come.”

Comments

• If they do not extend VdH contract beyond a year, then he'll be sold, as with DJ.
  • No doubt GP & his coaching staff have already broached the subject of a ‘leaky’ defence and where in their eyes they need replacements.
    Billy Reid alluded in today’s press gathering how CCV had impressed the staff in his ability to alter his game as a c/back to improve his passing ability to blend in with GP’s need to play the ball out from the back.
    But is CCV the answer to return for another season on loan or is there a need to look for a player like Brentford’s Konsa Ngoyo or s’body similar.
    Throw in the equation of Hoorn perhaps asking to move on will leave GP with a few million pounds to spend on a replacement but also look to bring in 2 c/backs to go alongside Rodon.
    From what I saw of the 23’s game on Monday v Man City, the c/back Rosler could be a contender especially if City came in for Dan
  • I really hope GP has a few gems up his sleeve and brings in a bit of quality from the Swedish league 
  • An undiscovered Olaf melberg would be nice
  • Cant see the hedgefunders, spending £20,000 a week, of our money on CCV :
    https://www.spotrac.com/epl/tottenham-hotspur-f.c/payroll/
  • there comes appoint where even hedge trimmers need to gamble!
  • These guys are not afraid to spend but will always be cautious, so unless you got £70m to see them off lets at least show some respect.

EagleEye
  • We paid around £4m for Celina and he is well worth the fee for the impact he has made in the team thro’ the season while for me, the reported £5m for CCV I think we can get a better c/back for less of an outlay.

If CCV is worth that fee then should there be suitors for vd Hoorn, his fee should be almost double what Spurs are asking us to pay for CCV.

All click bait at the moment though.
  • Knowing the board they’ll sell Dan to Spurs  for 10 mill and ask for CCV as well 
  • We paid around £4m for Celina and he is well worth the fee for the impact he has made in the team thro’ the season while for me, the reported £5m for CCV I think we can get a better c/back for less of an outlay.
    Good player, but it's a choice between him and Ollie in the 10 position to get the best out of either in our strongest possible lineup. With Byers and McKay on the bench both wanting to play 10. So in hindsight £4m that we now have to recoup with summer sales probably wasn't the best bit of business. Would have been in fine shape starting the season with DJ-McB-Dyer-Routs instead of spending £7m we didn't have on the opening day lineup of McKay-Celina-Asoro-McB.

Same with CCV. £5m for a player who is statistically below Rodon in most metrics, for a club that has more young, promising centre halves on the books than £ in the bank. Until there's significant outgoings there's no need to buy a cb.
  • jasper_T said:
    We paid around £4m for Celina and he is well worth the fee for the impact he has made in the team thro’ the season while for me, the reported £5m for CCV I think we can get a better c/back for less of an outlay.
    Good player, but it's a choice between him and Ollie in the 10 position to get the best out of either in our strongest possible lineup. With Byers and McKay on the bench both wanting to play 10. So in hindsight £4m that we now have to recoup with summer sales probably wasn't the best bit of business. Would have been in fine shape starting the season with DJ-McB-Dyer-Routs instead of spending £7m we didn't have on the opening day lineup of McKay-Celina-Asoro-McB.

Same with CCV. £5m for a player who is statistically below Rodon in most metrics, for a club that has more young, promising centre halves on the books than £ in the bank. Until there's significant outgoings there's no need to buy a cb.
    Question is @jasper_T -is there another CB ready to fall off the production line in the event we let CCV leave? If so who? I am not 100% convinced by Harries, and like Cabango - but he is a season or two away just yet.
  • Jackareme said:
    jasper_T said:
    We paid around £4m for Celina and he is well worth the fee for the impact he has made in the team thro’ the season while for me, the reported £5m for CCV I think we can get a better c/back for less of an outlay.

Question is @jasper_T -is there another CB ready to fall off the production line in the event we let CCV leave? If so who? I am not 100% convinced by Harries, and like Cabango - but he is a season or two away just yet.
    I really liked how Joe Lewis was progressing in the first half of the season. Disappeared since, not sure why. Brandon Cooper kept an 8 figure signing quiet on his senior debut against Palace in the cup, but injuries have hampered his development again this season. And there's a 14 year old in the u18s if we're desperate.

Harries doesn't seem fancied by Potter even when he says he wants a natural left footer on the field, but there's 4 that could step in at need. These lads will never be ready if they don't get chances, just look at what people said about Rodon last summer when we sold the senior players.

We can either take another club's youth players on loan or trust in our own. It's a division where teenagers can emerge to stardom over a very short space of time.
  • I wouldnt spend 5m on CCV. Rodon will be 1st choice left center so 5m for a 3rd string is nuts. Granted VDH might go but that would mean finding a CH comfortable on that side of the defence or promoting from within so for me a no to CCV at 5m especially if Levy is dangling a carrot to get James for the equivalent of 5 by shipping out a CH they dont need or want
  • it's not just the fee, but he'll be on bigger wages - and I dont think we should pay that, even if VdH goes. 
  • @Mark_Jack_London true 20k/week at Spurs. He started bring the ball out of defence towards the end but he is nowhere near as good striding forward as Rodon & VDH
  • Martyn said:
    @Mark_Jack_London true 20k/week at Spurs. He started bring the ball out of defence towards the end but he is nowhere near as good striding forward as Rodon & VDH
    come on Martyn, really??? striding out of defence is your defining characteristic of CCV?
    I think he was a big success and had to fill in for a very inform Joe Rodon. after Joe's absense our season was a lot more successful in the second half. A collective success but CCV was part of that. I don't really understand this criticism as he hardly put a foot wrong. I don't get it. We need 4 centre backs. I think Cian Harries is as good as Joe. I saw them play together a few times in our last PL season. Of the two I actually thought Cian was the better! 
    We obviously won't be paying over the odds...but I'd welcome him back because at his age he'll get better and better, as they all will.
  • Pablo said:
    Martyn said:
    @Mark_Jack_London true 20k/week at Spurs. He started bring the ball out of defence towards the end but he is nowhere near as good striding forward as Rodon & VDH
    come on Martyn, really??? striding out of defence is your defining characteristic of CCV?
    I think he was a big success and had to fill in for a very inform Joe Rodon. after Joe's absense our season was a lot more successful in the second half. A collective success but CCV was part of that. I don't really understand this criticism as he hardly put a foot wrong. I don't get it. We need 4 centre backs. I think Cian Harries is as good as Joe. I saw them play together a few times in our last PL season. Of the two I actually thought Cian was the better! 
    We obviously won't be paying over the odds...but I'd welcome him back because at his age he'll get better and better, as they all will.
    We don't need 4. Joe has barely got a kick and it took a broken bone for CCV to get in the team in the first place. Kids and out of position fullbacks/midfielders are fine as cover, just look at Leeds during their good run. Had two right backs at centre half against us.

I was also in Team Cian last season. Think he's been given a short shrift by Potter in terms of chances, but his lack of athleticism might well make the step up beyond him. Not a player to be judged on brief spells, more than most he only hits form starting regularly and finding a rhythm.

Our play out of defence did suffer for having CCV in for Joe. Better accuracy, but far more conservative. Teams could sit off and watch us play across the defence more knowing he wasn't going to go forward. Space harder to find for forward players, so we'd get pinned back and invite pressure. Technically he's more than capable, and the inclination was coming along, but too slow to do more good for us now.
  • jasper_T said:
    Pablo said:
    Martyn said:
    We don't need 4. Joe has barely got a kick and it took a broken bone for CCV to get in the team in the first place. Kids and out of position fullbacks/midfielders are fine as cover, just look at Leeds during their good run. Had two right backs at centre half against us.

I was also in Team Cian last season. Think he's been given a short shrift by Potter in terms of chances, but his lack of athleticism might well make the step up beyond him. Not a player to be judged on brief spells, more than most he only hits form starting regularly and finding a rhythm.

Our play out of defence did suffer for having CCV in for Joe. Better accuracy, but far more conservative. Teams could sit off and watch us play across the defence more knowing he wasn't going to go forward. Space harder to find for forward players, so we'd get pinned back and invite pressure. Technically he's more than capable, and the inclination was coming along, but too slow to do more good for us now.
    results speak for themselves. We know Joe is a good player, no doubt, though he was untried. Yet results have been better and performances better since Joe was injured and CCV got his chance. As for not needing 4 centre backs...we often play the three across the back. that's 3 used up already without injuries. your example of Leeds and their use of fullbacks isn't something I'd want to emulate. Playing players out of position is disastrous and Leeds aren't looking too hot these days either. but it's a moot point. I'm just not in the camp that CCV has been a weakness, which I think is poppycock and doesn't reflect in our form
  • Solid as a rock for me,undeniable that he played his full  part in the team.If he came back he  would be an asset in my view
  • Pablo said:
    jasper_T said:
    Pablo said:
    Martyn said:

results speak for themselves. We know Joe is a good player, no doubt, though he was untried. Yet results have been better and performances better since Joe was injured and CCV got his chance. As for not needing 4 centre backs...we often play the three across the back. that's 3 used up already without injuries. your example of Leeds and their use of fullbacks isn't something I'd want to emulate. Playing players out of position is disastrous and Leeds aren't looking too hot these days either. but it's a moot point. I'm just not in the camp that CCV has been a weakness, which I think is poppycock and doesn't reflect in our form
    Pablo,
    think you will find that we havn't utilised 3 c/backs when playing a back 3, Grimes has been one of them, as he was at Blackburn. 

• moorlands said:
    Solid as a rock for me,undeniable that he played his full  part in the team.If he came back he  would be an asset in my view
    Agreed @moorlands - the question is cost/relative value given fee and wages.
  • Pablo said:
    jasper_T said:
    Pablo said:
    Martyn said:

Pablo,
    think you will find that we havn't utilised 3 c/backs when playing a back 3, Grimes has been one of them, as he was at Blackburn. 

And last season Naughton played as one for Carvalhal. Potter even said in his last press conference that playing 3 true centre halves together makes things "flat". You need players that can defend wide areas, and have the luxury of including better technical players than pure defenders.

If CCV was the only change ahead of our improved form then you'd have a point but the big change for us was DJ's return after Routs and Dyer were re-established as regular options. Full attacking complement only available this calendar year. Great form with only a couple of blips ever since. Set pieces only consistent let-down, and 6' in shoes CCV hasn't been ideal there.
  • CCV is not a natural ball-player IMO. but he has developed hugely in that respect as the season has gone on. He reminds me of Caulker, in that respect.

He's a player who likes the physical side of the game. His big problem will be, if he doesnt continue to improve his passing skills is he is a bit small for a CB. 6ft to Joe's 6ft 3" , and he doesnt look like he's got a huge spring.

but I am not sure how many of the goals we have conceded were directly down to his defending?
  • CCV is not a natural ball-player IMO. but he has developed hugely in that respect as the season has gone on. He reminds me of Caulker, in that respect.

He's a player who likes the physical side of the game. His big problem will be, if he doesnt continue to improve his passing skills is he is a bit small for a CB. 6ft to Joe's 6ft 3" , and he doesnt look like he's got a huge spring.

but I am not sure how many of the goals we have conceded were directly down to his defending?
    Mark,
    there has been something wrong all season with our poor defending, whether it be a static keeper, defenders switching off at the back post or poor organisation from our defence, whoever played. We can't keep a clean sheet and you can't blame just one player for that problem.
  • Pablo said:
    jasper_T said:
    Pablo said:
    Martyn said:

Pablo,

I seem to remember the 3 centre backs being utilised before Joe's injury, but I take youir point. Matt Grimes being the one player I'd trust with that role from any of our midfielders. Anyway it doesn't matter in my own assessment CCV performed well in an untried defence. Really these players are so young, we should be heaping praise on them for doing so well. And maybe people forget that we are putting together a side to be competitive in the Championship....when perhaps people are assessing as if we are still a PL side.