Football betting site Betway

End of season report : Graham Potter

Let’s be honest, GP has done an outstanding job, with what he was left with. Especially his integration of the youngsters, from U23, into Championship football 
 Achieving a 10th spot, and just missing the play offs, with one recognised striker, and a dodgy keeper, was nothing short of a miracle. 
Having said that, I haven’t been that impressed with that many Championship sides I’ve seen close up, at Liberty stadium. 
Looking at the walesonline site, they are saying it would cost £2m to pay off GP’s 2 yr contract, if a club comes in for him.
So i assume he’s is on a Million a year. 
Not a bad wage. 
If you wanted to be slightly sceptical about things, perhaps a lot of the credit for the emergence of the youngsters, maybe has go to Toshack and Richards, and believe it or not, Mr Huw Jenkins, who saw the potential in Toshack, as a coach in the first place. 

Good article here ~~>

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/double-act-heart-swansea-citys-15503216

So do we go down the old .....”In Graham we trust” routine, and believe he is the latest Messiah, who does no wrong?

Or do we have a look at some of the issues that perhaps, didn’t work out so well?

Zonal marking. 
I think we were the highest in the league, for conceding goals (17) from set pieces. 
Obviously having a team of vertically challenged, short arses, doesn’t help. 
But right at the end of the season, he went for man to man marking, and this seemed to suit the aforementioned short arses better, in blocking runs, which you would have thought would have been a prerequisite, in a zonal system, but they seemed better suited to this change. 

Picking the wrong team to start, then making 2 subs at half time. 

Picking Nortfeldt when Mulder was clearly the better keeper, earlier in the season. 

Then dropping Mulder when he was playing well, probably putting doubts in his mind. 

How many times have we only played well for one half. ?

Opposition managers change their tactics, especially away games (normally at half time,) they come out, and start to dominate, he doesn’t seem to counteract these changes, until it’s too late. 

Two of his signings, McKay and Asoro, haven’t exactly set the football world alight. 

McKay in particular, has played in 35 games, and has looked useless in most of them.
He must be fabulous in training, to secure that much game time. 

At least he has made it into the first team, for a good amount of games. 
Asoro has been here a full season, what sort of value is he bringing to our beleaguered first team squad?
Another one drawing wages, and not playing. 

GP and his scouts, will have to earn their wages big time, in the summer,  and bring in real value to strengthen the squad, after what I fear, will be a summer of discontent, with some of the jewels in the crown being flogged. 

My only hope is they are not sold on the cheap, and that he has a decent war chest to work with. 
If the Yanks do the opposite, then GP may we’ll think his job is untenable. 

End of season report :
A+ 
Could do better. So much better with the right backing !!!!

STID

Comments

• J4cka,

you started off really well, "Let’s be honest, GP has done an outstanding job, with what he was left with. Especially his integration of the youngsters, from U23, into Championship football  Achieving a 10th spot, and just missing the play offs, with one recognised striker, and a dodgy keeper, was nothing short of a miracle."

Then you counter with 11 reasons of criticism of Potter and what he achieved last season.

A+  and could do better!!!!!
  • Let's be honest; a respectable B grade.
  • Gets an A from me. What he has achieved is nothing short of incredible

Under Clement, Monk, Carvahal and their 'brand' of 'let's defend and keep the score down' style of footie we'd be in League 1 next season. 

With a bit of backing we easily make the play offs next season, think the bookies have us 4th faves or something. 

Give Benda, Garrick, de Boer, Cabango and Cullen a run in pre season to see if they're the next ones to step up. Indeed @J4cka massive amount of respect to Toshack and Richards for the development of these youngsters. 
  • Colin: If you want to read it again, it says....
    Could do better. So much better with the right backing !!
    Meaning, he could do better, with the right backing. 
    Simples. 
    Do you think GP has not made any mistakes at all?
  • Seems to have been a grand season to me,some great football,youngsters given  chances and taking them,and also improving.Not to mention great team spirit it would seem,plus a glowing endorsement from Alan Curtis who has seen more managers/coaches close up than any of us will ever see.
    I do admit to being instinctive in my judgements,but I don't have time, or inclination, at my time of life, to be too analytical about something that I find enjoyable.Even after a bad result or performance,give me 24 hours and I'm optimistically looking forward to the next match.
    Lucky me I suppose.
    Roll on August.
    NatterjackJeff_Cowbridge
  • J4cka,

how on earth can you praise the manager so highly and then savage him with 11 separate instances of mis-management. 
  • He has been a very good coach, as stated he was left with bare bones and under 23's most of which have been brilliant.
    The first half of the season he made far too many changes but I now believe he was attempting to get a squad rather than a team playing the same way.
    I agree Mulder is the better keeper but at least they have both played.
    I believe Dhanda will be a good signing and of course Celina is great if we can keep him.
    As for Mackay and Asoro we can only hope they develop like Grimes hopefully not waiting 3 years or more.
    At least Jenkins found a tidy manager after a few disasters, he was lucky though as  Potter was inexpensive and a gamble, the 2M buy out clause is a not based on his salary its on all managers, the sacking clause is much less.
    What he does need is a defensive coach, zonal marking or whatever it is doesn't work, we were the worst team for conceding at set pieces.
    Unfortunately other clubs will look at the track record of 3, Brendon, Roberto and Potter who all like to play the same way, if he manages to hold on to all the young stars and finds 1 brutal centre half to clear the crosses, next season will see us going up without doubt, Norwich similar style but very good CB's flew it and we could do the same.
    Will our good manager be allowed to keep his best players, No chance and he wont be able to do it twice starting from scratch that's asking too much
  • Jacka why do you see the need to denigrate one of our own? McKay has 6 assists and scored 3 himself. Bit lightweight sure....but why call him 'useless'? 
    We all know GP has done miracles, and everyone makes mistakes. It's a human quality...one that some can't tolerate but put up with in themselves! ;)
    I just think we should trust GP because he has shown he has qualities, intelligence, and best of all a genuinely decent bloke
  • Not sure its denigrating simply giving of an opinion which might be different.Just as well I wont comment on Potter who allowed a cowardly shithouse goalkeeper to start games
    Pablo
  • Wow @cecil you are a super tough audience. Agreed that our keeper situation has been a debacle, BUT I find it hard to argue with an A+ assessment of Potter overall. He has given us back our soul, and I think saved us from a very rapid slide through the divisions. He is a breath of fresh air in a pretty fetid swamp.
    WynNatterjack
  • Jackareme said:
    Wow @cecil you are a super tough audience. Agreed that our keeper situation has been a debacle, BUT I find it hard to argue with an A+ assessment of Potter overall. He has given us back our soul, and I think saved us from a very rapid slide through the divisions. He is a breath of fresh air in a pretty fetid swamp.
    The players here were always going to be good enough to avoid that, even if many of our fans hadn't heard of half of them before the season started.

One of Sunderland's bright sparks in their relegation battle wouldn't have been good enough to get in our u23s last season. Forget DJ, Jordon Garrick has been better, despite frequent hamstring issues. Mason Jones-Thomas has showed as much in his first handful of u23s games. Makes you wonder what sort of footballing education Sunderland's academy players are getting. Asoro often looks lost.

Any half decent manager would have kept us up. And while there are plenty less than half decent ones knocking about the EFL being better than that doesn't justify an A* grade on its own. A passing grade, certainly. He can earn that A* next season with some better recruitment and goalkeeping selections.
    JackaremePablo
  • Cecil you are a bit of a tosser. Shagging your missus is he?
  • out of order Pablo out of order!!!!!!!
    StephenR
  • Comfortably A+. The idea that any half decent manager could have kept us up conveniently ignores the massive development we've seen in so many of our players under Potter's management. Grimes, James, Rodon, Roberts - to name but four have improved massively under Potter. Van De Hoorn's distribution in the Premier League was poor - under Potter he's improved this aspect of his play massively. When did VDH go on mazy runs in the Premier League? 

Richards and Toshack have done a good job for sure, but I can't really say, watching the U23s, that I was confident that any of the regulars last season would make the grade at Championship level. That they have done so well, and shown clear signs of progression from the start of the season to its end (Grimes being the shining example) is largely down to Potter's influence.

Imagine if we'd kept Carvahal on as manager. I reckon we'd have been relegated, or struggled at best.

We are so lucky to have Potter. The big question for me is whether he has, in Kyle Macaulay, the right man to recruit budget signings from obscure European leagues to match what Norwich achieved under Stuart Webber. That, more than anything else, will determine how things go next season.
    JackaremeNatterjack
  • Carvalhal took worse squads than ours into the playoffs. Found out at PL level and quickly ran out of bottle and ideas, but this isn't PL level. 

Gave Connor and DJ their debuts as well. What a legacy!
  • jasper_T
    would you class Nathan Jones as one of the EFL's half decent managers that you claim would have turned the club round. He did a very good job at Luton prior to taking over at Stoke but no doubt he will be judged next season as to his capabilities in a higher league, although since his appointment in January he has struggled to impress.

What managers are out there in the EFL that would not only turn to youth but also work with the savage financial cuts Potter inherited. GP might have question marks over some of his decision making through the season but to merit him below an 'A' for me is quite harsh.

There might have been enough experienced players in our squad at the start of the season for you to make the above assumption but what Potter was aware of that by the time the window closed, who would be left, when you consider every player had been made available for transfer. Starting the season with one striker(Oli) who had just one season of first team football behind him, by the Millwall match on the 1st of September, young, inexperienced players, Roberts, James, Dhanda and Baker-Richardson were given their opportunity, while Grimes was a shadow of a player, confidence wise, that he later developed into.

The Barnsley manager Stendal is quite possibly the only candidate in the EFL for the magnificent job he has done in his first twelve months at the club but other than Lee Bowyer at Charlton, or the Cowley brothers at Lincoln one would have to look outside the UK for a manager / first team coach.

NatterjackWyn
  • I'm a little bit gobsmacked at the criticism of Potter.

Yes, nobody is above criticism, and he has admitted he has made mistakes, but let's not forget, this was his first season managing in the English Leagues. A very different proposition to Sweden.

And he was very late coming to the club in order to set everything up, let alone the chaos around player sales in August and January.

The fact that he has taken largely a set of U23 players, few of whom have played a full season at that or any 1st team level, and made them competitive and playing a style of football we have missed since Laudrup left, is quite remarkable.

Of course he has work to do moving forward. But any criticism is remarkable, all things considered.

WynJackareme
  • Daniel Farke both turned to youth and has been working under severe financial limitations. Lee Johnson, Nigel Adkins, Bruce, Lampard... Thomas Frank even ended up finishing only a point behind us. A lot of Championship managers had good seasons under adversity. Nature of the game at this level for all but a few.

I don't rate Dhanda or CBR so Potter doesn't get bonus points for using them. Even with behind the scenes issues potentially forcing him to. Not in that Millwall game, certainly. File them with the other potentially-costly missteps from before we found our successful formula around the turn of the year.
  • missus fine thanks.
    As for Potter,sort out the keeper position and we will prosper.
    Its that simple.

Its tough to watch Nordfelt at corners .Its even tougher to see the **** punch to an opponent,then try to do it again only to miss the ball which then is bundled over the line.

Now THAT is tough. It also tough t see McBurnie bust a feck gut only to see his good work literally thrown away by a keeper that insults the likes of Freestone,King,Dwyer,Hughes,Stewart,Rimmer . Its tough all right and its tough to see fans actually support Potter when he allows this .

Tough if some disagree butt life will throw you tougher 
  • Pablo said:
    Cecil you are a bit of a tosser. Shagging your missus is he?

Put a comma after Cecil next time.
  • edited May 9
    The only youth player Farke turned to was Aarons, as Lewis had a full season under his belt and Godfrey had made his debut with York in 2015/16 and a full season at Shrewsbury on loan in 2017/18. Yes, he was under financial restraints not as bad as we are but he had also inherited an experienced squad plus was given substantially more cash in the 2017/18 ore-season to purchase Stieperman, Zimmerman, Vrancic, Trybull followed by Krul and Hernandez in the 2018 January window. 

No comparison whatsoever can be made the 2 managers, only perhaps that Farke, being German knew players in the Bundesliga far better than what Macauley did in this country, while Farke didn't have somebody like Huw Jenkins interefering in recruitment.

You can also throw into the equation that Farke also had Maddison, Murphy and Gunn in his squad for the 2017/18 season and should gave finished higher up in the league than 14th.
    Wyn
  • So you don't count Ollie as a young player, then? Lewis is younger and played less games than him last season (and no senior games previous to that). Grimes and Roberts as experienced than Godfrey, but they get included in Potter's roll of accomplishments?

Max Aarons is a first year pro. We've had nothing like that coming through under Potter. Be like if he'd nurtured Tom Price, Matt Blake or Joe Lewis into regular first team duties. Maybe next season.

"No comparison can be made" give over.
  • GP came to the club with his entourage last summer knowing that he had along term job to do. I went to a meet the management team at the Liberty in early July when all 4 members of the team spoke and answered questions . He left a stable job in Ostersunds to take on our project which he said at the outset would not be sorted overnight and that he was here to finish his project.

He knew that most of the prima donnas would be sold or sent on loan leaving him with bare bones to put together. the first few months of the season were spent putting players in and leaving others out week in and week out whilst he tried to find the best of the bunch to play on a regular basis. We have seen the results of this exercise in the last few weeks. With a tweak here and there especially in goal and we could have a brilliant  season next time out.

NatterjackWyn
  • GP came to the club with his entourage last summer knowing that he had along term job to do. I went to a meet the management team at the Liberty in early July when all 4 members of the team spoke and answered questions . He left a stable job in Ostersunds to take on our project which he said at the outset would not be sorted overnight and that he was here to finish his project.

He knew that most of the prima donnas would be sold or sent on loan leaving him with bare bones to put together. the first few months of the season were spent putting players in and leaving others out week in and week out whilst he tried to find the best of the bunch to play on a regular basis. We have seen the results of this exercise in the last few weeks. With a tweak here and there especially in goal and we could have a brilliant  season next time out.And a very fair assessment.

• Oops.Fair comment. An objective view is Potter has developed the likes of Grimes into an excellent player with real potential but failed with Nordfelt and why we allow so many soft goals. Im hoping he will address that for the next campaign. To offer criticism or comment is not in any way denigrating the club one supports,rather it shows one cares about the club not individuals employed.Club is bigger than anyone. 
  • Pete said:
    out of order Pablo out of order!!!!!!!

Its a fact several on here will have lost their partner due to cancer especially . Therefore to assume any poster has a partner who is alive and well is fraught with danger. Normally, such comments addressed to me in person would result in a headbutt being administered forthwith into the offenders face. It also happens,I might be gay,which Im not. Best stick to football Pablo or Game of Thrones
  • moorlands said:
    Seems to have been a grand season to me,some great football,youngsters given  chances and taking them,and also improving.Not to mention great team spirit it would seem,plus a glowing endorsement from Alan Curtis who has seen more managers/coaches close up than any of us will ever see.
    I do admit to being instinctive in my judgements,but I don't have time, or inclination, at my time of life, to be too analytical about something that I find enjoyable.Even after a bad result or performance,give me 24 hours and I'm optimistically looking forward to the next match.
    Lucky me I suppose.
    Roll on August.
    This.

With bells on. 
    Well said @moorlands
  • Pete said:
    out of order Pablo out of order!!!!!!!
    Pete, I slandered Cecil on purpose in response to his comment about Nordfeldt [ calling him a cowardly shithouse goalkeeper] which I found offensive but it seems keyboard warriors don't mind dishing it out but lo if it returns  in the same vein. I'm sick of assholes attacking our players. It's disgusting and unecessary. You can criticise without slandering or using ridiculous exaggerations. Every player to me is like family, I'm old scholl in my support for all the boys who pull on the shirt.. If you use inflammatory language I'm liable to bite back or point out that this behaviour is not to my liking. Do you think it's civilised Pete to refer to players as 'shithouses' and 'cowards'?
    Would anyone use that kind of language to the player's face? so who is the 'cowardly shithouse' now?
  • I'm a little bit gobsmacked at the criticism of Potter.

Yes, nobody is above criticism, and he has admitted he has made mistakes, but let's not forget, this was his first season managing in the English Leagues. A very different proposition to Sweden.

And he was very late coming to the club in order to set everything up, let alone the chaos around player sales in August and January.

The fact that he has taken largely a set of U23 players, few of whom have played a full season at that or any 1st team level, and made them competitive and playing a style of football we have missed since Laudrup left, is quite remarkable.

Of course he has work to do moving forward. But any criticism is remarkable, all things considered.

You're addressing idiots who don't understand anything other than success, meaning in the top six in the PL. If we're not in that bracket everything is a failure to the misery mob