Manager of the year

Chris Wilder!

Hmmmm, not in my book!

Comments

• Farke for me. Recruitment on a budget, style of play, using academy players, top marks in every department, including where it really counts (the league table).

Hate the man but Wilder wasn't far off. Unique brand of football. 
  • Often mentioned on  here that Wilder is disliked.I,m not aware of this myself,any particular reason why?
  • Moorlands I really don't like Wilder as I find him lacking in class and he is a typical football hypocrite.

He also shows his dislike for other teams (and whilst he can have this dislike as a manager and professional in my opinion he should show respect and keep negative opinions to himself) it would be OK if he gave credit where it's due but he does not,sadly many managers are like this.

His team are not that good just a long ball physical side (this years Cardiff) which I think will struggle in the Premier League.

He lacks class is a hypocrite and is not gracious in defeat and gloats in victory who just happens to be a media darling at the moment.
  • Chris Wilder... what the farke!!
  • I'd have given the award to Farke myself - it's pretty hard to argue against the manager of the Champions. But I can't really understand the hate for Wilder. Yes, he comes across as negative and churlish, but his achievements with Sheffield United, on a small budget, have been very impressive. Also, the description of them as a long ball team is wide of the mark. If you look at the stats for the league they're up there in most of the indicator stats for a possession-based side. The way he's used his centre backs has also been pretty radical. Credit where credit's due.
  • Nope - Potter all day long. 

19 players out, 6 in. Gaps in squad everywhere. Forced to field youth players.

Challenged for play offs, played great football, and played Man City off the park for 45 mins in the Cup.

Potter all day long.
  • Hopefully MotY next season when he gets us into the playoffs or better.

Its the quality from a standing start which still impresses me. Virtually no pre season, very limited squad, and player movements out continuing right up the start of the season and then again in January.

Impressive stuff, continuity through to next year is what we need.
    Jackareme
  • I don't think anyone outside Swansea would put Potter in their top 5 Championship managers this season. Look at what Lampard has done in his first season of management with that Derby squad, whose best three players are 20-22 with less than a full season of senior experience apiece. Media hype aside, as a direct comparison Lampard's done amazingly well to take them to a playoff final from where they started the season, cost-cutting a bang-average squad.

Dean Smith turned Villa's season around. Steve Bruce at Wednesday as well, hopeless before he arrived. Adkins took relegation favourites with only two good players into mid-table security and almost a playoff push. Farke and Wilder up automatically despite strict budgets and off the field disruptions (Sheff Utd's ownership fiasco may see him move on despite promotion). Lee Johnson managed 70 points without a goalscorer in the squad, on a budget a fraction of most of the division.
  • Frank Lampard has not really done any thing this season that Derby squad should performed pretty much as the previous season and that is with Mason Mount, Wilson and Tomori who are all highly rated players from 2 of the top 3 teams in the premier league. So you might say Frank Lampard's contacts have helped him out massively.

Yes they sold player but they also pretty much replaced like for like and then added the aforementioned loan stars. Even with those they achieved the same league finish and actually 1 point less this season. The only difference is they this season they met a Leeds team who were in meltdown and last year the met a Fulham team who were in top form.

Dean Smith did no better at Villa than Bruce last year  in fact they had 7 point less and finished 1 place lower.

Both Lampard and Smith manged their respective teams to about there expected finishing points.

The managers who have done exceptionally well are (excluding Graham Potter):-

Farke - 14th last season 1st this with 34 more points (Manager of the Season by far) 
    Wilder - 10th last season 2nd this with 20 more points (he is a **** but well done!!)
    Bielsa - 13th last season to 3rd this with 23 more points (I'm biased as I'm from Leeds but he is great)
    Bruce - not their all season but they improved from last season by 7 points and 3 league places (plus they were shocking before Bruce arrived)
    Adkins another huge improvement by 5 league places and 13 points
    Monk only 2 places higher but 6 points better off and that's with losing 9 points so a pretty decent effort

• jasper_T said:
    I don't think anyone outside Swansea would put Potter in their top 5 Championship managers this season. Look at what Lampard has done in his first season of management with that Derby squad, whose best three players are 20-22 with less than a full season of senior experience apiece. Media hype aside, as a direct comparison Lampard's done amazingly well to take them to a playoff final from where they started the season, cost-cutting a bang-average squad.

Dean Smith turned Villa's season around. Steve Bruce at Wednesday as well, hopeless before he arrived. Adkins took relegation favourites with only two good players into mid-table security and almost a playoff push. Farke and Wilder up automatically despite strict budgets and off the field disruptions (Sheff Utd's ownership fiasco may see him move on despite promotion). Lee Johnson managed 70 points without a goalscorer in the squad, on a budget a fraction of most of the division.
    Yes, a strong case to be made for many of those. But all have had something to build on, and more importantly didn't have the loss of 19 players to contend with, a truncated pre season, and all have supportive owners who are genuinely keen for their clubs to push on and were prepared to support their managers as much as they could. 

No one in the division had to put up with as much shit as Potter, apart from maybe Phil Parkinson of poor old Bolton, and maybe Garry Monk at Brum. 

I would seriously doubt any other manager in the division could have delivered a play off tilt against a backdrop of all that. 
    Jackareme