CBR

He may not be the answer, but you have to commend his attitude, willingness to keep learning, and to say f**k you to anyone who has not given him the opportunity.

I think maybe that's why Potter likes him.

Comments

• Written off by all the experts on here too. Keep going son, make them choke on their words
  • I am one of those critical - but purely based on what I see. Like you @Pablo I would love to see CBR prove me wrong, and LOVE his attitude. This will be important for him - but also important will be a yard of pace and a first touch that is not like a trampoline.
    Time will tell but good luck to him.
  • Pablo,
    I was also a critic of CBR even when I saw him play for the 23’s but what it does show how Potter is years ahead of so many managers in the game who are unable to work with supposed inferior players.
  • Absolutely admire his determination to succeed. However, determination alone does not bring success. He is now 24 years of age and does not possess the skillset necessary for championship football. He may well we'll make a decent living for himself in league 2, but imo that's his level. 
    It's a shame that one or two of our more skillful players don't have his desire.
    ColinNorthampton
  • What other choice did Potter have, but to work with him, after absolutely no backing from the Yanks?
    His choice for back up to Oli, was CBR or nothing. 

• I'm not questioning whether or not GP had any other options. I'm simply saying that imo CBR is not a championship level player. I'm sure you understand the difference.
  • deekay said:
    I'm not questioning whether or not GP had any other options. I'm simply saying that imo CBR is not a championship level player. I'm sure you understand the difference.
    Exactly @deekay - correct.
  • Hey lads, I’m agreeing with you!  My reply was to the people who think Potter had any say, in being lumbered with CBR. 
  • Well let's hope that CBR makes you all eat humble pie! good luck to him. He didn't do too bad 4 goals in how many games this season? I wouldn't be so sure myself. I need to see more, but can't fault his attitude. Damn sight better thasn fickle fans anyhow
  • Pablo

I understand that you may need to see more of him to form an opinion. However, I have watched him on many occasions for the u23's and his outings in the first team. It is on the basis of those observations that I have come to the conclusion stated above. Forming an opinion on that basis, does not make me a fickle fan.
  • I only seen him play twice and that was enough for me.he must be playing like Lorente in training???
  • If he was as good as you make him out to be why didn’t he play when Ollie was on the sick  B) it’s not as if he is a teenager he’s 24 
  • Wasn't very good for the u23s either. Biabi proved the more reliable lump up top. 

Had Routledge's contract issues been sorted earlier he wouldn't have seen the light of day this season. The centre forward position was a sticking point for a long time, with Ollie wanting/needing to play deeper.

We got some good results out of him being a square peg for a square hole. But an exciting talent he is not.
  • Biabi? who couldnt get a game for Macclesfield? 

I didnt say CBR was he was an exciting talent. I didnt suggest that he was the answer.

All I said was I liked his attitude, and so should we all. fighting for his right to play. hungry. Determined to prove the doubters wrong. And who would have thought he'd score 4 goals in a season, when he was sent off within 2 minutes of his debut?

So I cant believe the vitriol on here for an honest lad. Limited, yes. but buggar me backwards. I'd take 11 of him to some of the charlatans we have seen in the shirt in the last few seasons, limitations and all.

have a think about that, lads before you slag him off.
  • edited May 15
    MJL
    I think you've exaggerated a bit there. As far as this thread is concerned, I see no vitriol directed at CBR. Yes, a recognition of his limitations, but also a recognition of his desire to succeed. A wish that the same desire was shared by others who have worn the shirt has also been stated. 
    Agree with your comment re Biabi though.
  • Biabi? who couldnt get a game for Macclesfield? 

I didnt say CBR was he was an exciting talent. I didnt suggest that he was the answer.

All I said was I liked his attitude, and so should we all. fighting for his right to play. hungry. Determined to prove the doubters wrong. And who would have thought he'd score 4 goals in a season, when he was sent off within 2 minutes of his debut?

So I cant believe the vitriol on here for an honest lad. Limited, yes. but buggar me backwards. I'd take 11 of him to some of the charlatans we have seen in the shirt in the last few seasons, limitations and all.

have a think about that, lads before you slag him off.
    Yes, that Biabi. When he returned from last seasons loan he played for the u23s ahead of CBR more often than not, and did a better job. 
  • out of interest, how many goals did Biabi score? 3 in 13 this season. 1 in 8 last season.

no goals on loan in Scotland or England.

CBR - limitations and all - 4 in 20 in Championship/FA Cup this season. 3 in 15 last season for U23s - as many assists as BB.

• In all honesty neither CBR or Biabi were candidates for the first team until GP took over as manager and within weeks of his tenure working with both the first team and younger, inexperienced players from the 23's he sorted out the ones from the 23's who he could use, and the ones he couldn't.

CBR and Biabi are two entirely different type of strikers, but CBR is the one GP has chosen and to be fair to him he has done ok, despite his shortcomings. For whatever reason, Biabi has failed miserably this season for both the 23's and Macclesfield scoring no goals for either side.
  • In all honesty neither CBR or Biabi were candidates for the first team until GP took over as manager and within weeks of his tenure working with both the first team and younger, inexperienced players from the 23's he sorted out the ones from the 23's who he could use, and the ones he couldn't.

CBR and Biabi are two entirely different type of strikers, but CBR is the one GP has chosen and to be fair to him he has done ok, despite his shortcomings. For whatever reason, Biabi has failed miserably this season for both the 23's and Macclesfield scoring no goals for either side.
    What makes them "entirely different"? Toshack and Richards used them in the same way, while playing an actual "entirely different" type of striker in Liam Cullen on the wing last season (in the brief spells he got to play).

Both physical without being especially big, technically limited, not natural finishers or good at link up play apart from occasionally holding the ball up.  Biabi a little better at moving with the ball at his feet? But not by much tbh.
  • jasper_T said:
    In all honesty neither CBR or Biabi were candidates for the first team until GP took over as manager and within weeks of his tenure working with both the first team and younger, inexperienced players from the 23's he sorted out the ones from the 23's who he could use, and the ones he couldn't.

What makes them "entirely different"? Toshack and Richards used them in the same way, while playing an actual "entirely different" type of striker in Liam Cullen on the wing last season (in the brief spells he got to play).

Both physical without being especially big, technically limited, not natural finishers or good at link up play apart from occasionally holding the ball up.  Biabi a little better at moving with the ball at his feet? But not by much tbh.
    They might both have been used as lone strikers but CBR is an old fashioned type of striker who not only struggled to hold the ball up couldn’t run the channels while Biabi was more mobile and did(when he felt like it) run the channels but the bottom line, neither was a goal scorer.

Cullen up until second half of season was always played wide out left where he posses little pace. Switched to lone striker his lack of physicality saw him naturally struggle but to be fair to him he had movement, held the ball up, laid it off to midfielders. Cullen is a predator in the box and that was brought him gls last season, as it has since playing for the 18’s.
  • jasper_T said:
    In all honesty neither CBR or Biabi were candidates for the first team until GP took over as manager and within weeks of his tenure working with both the first team and younger, inexperienced players from the 23's he sorted out the ones from the 23's who he could use, and the ones he couldn't.

They might both have been used as lone strikers but CBR is an old fashioned type of striker who not only struggled to hold the ball up couldn’t run the channels while Biabi was more mobile and did(when he felt like it) run the channels but the bottom line, neither was a goal scorer.

Cullen up until second half of season was always played wide out left where he posses little pace. Switched to lone striker his lack of physicality saw him naturally struggle but to be fair to him he had movement, held the ball up, laid it off to midfielders. Cullen is a predator in the box and that was brought him gls last season, as it has since playing for the 18’s.
    Been quite impressed with how Cullen has handled the lone centre forward job this season. Doesn't look like he'd suit it but as you say his hold up and link play was probably better than we've seen from the bigger lads. And he works his socks off.

Think Mason Jones-Thomas goes further in the game, though. Type of player who finds higher levels of competition easier instead of harder. Adapted to u23s really quickly.
  • jasper_T said:
    jasper_T said:

Been quite impressed with how Cullen has handled the lone centre forward job this season. Doesn't look like he'd suit it but as you say his hold up and link play was probably better than we've seen from the bigger lads. And he works his socks off.

Think Mason Jones-Thomas goes further in the game, though. Type of player who finds higher levels of competition easier instead of harder. Adapted to u23s really quickly.
    Sometimes wonder that Cullen is preferable to play alongside a second striker but in the lone striker role I have noticed, what doesn’t help is a lack of dynamic midfielders prepared to link up with Cullen. Having said I have been impressed with Oli Cooper the latter half of this season before his injury and along with the promise of Jones-Thomas and hopefully De Boer beefing up there could be a competitive team in Div 2 next season.