Football betting site Betway

POTTER

POTTER on his way, in the crowd tonight at Portsmouth.
barry

Comments

• Ha ha. Just seen it myself. 
  • Alongside him is Kyle the recruitment chief,probably scouting for Swansea City FC.
  • moorlands said:
    Alongside him is Kyle the recruitment chief,probably scouting for Swansea City FC.
    Nothing there for us, two shit teams, HOOFBALL CRAP. 
  • Jamal Lowe and Christian burgess look decent and had good seasons 
    jasper_T
  • Oviedo at LB is a Costa Rican international and would fit nicely. 

But surprised Lowe didn't start. 
  • they were looking at Matt Clarke, Pompey CB, who we have been scouting for a while.
  • edited May 17
    Not sure about Clarke, he doesn't appear to be able to pass the ball out of defence as GP prefers, but we have during the season been looking at Sunderland's Flanagan.

Shame the keeper McLaughlan is over 30, he came on as sub for Bradford City when we beat them at Wembley. Happy days.
    Or, it could be Jamal Lowe, just 24, quick, tricky and scored 17 goals this season.
  • Matt Clarke is a natural left footed 6ft 1in centre back. That is a key defensive role GP will want filled. Our defence especially against set piece and simple high balls were the reason we didnt make the play offs.

We were the worst in the league for conceding against set pieces. Its got to be key role, so I hope he can head the ball, as we seem to strugle to teach that but dont struggle to teach players how to pass the ball.

Forward at a trot..
  • they probably looked at both Flanagan and Clarke. Flanagan, as Colin says, was on our radar in January. I think that was if VdH went to Villa.
  • Flanagan is more versatile across the whole of the back line but he is another right footed player. All other things being equal, I believe GP would prefer a natural left footed CB.
  • Flanagan is more versatile across the whole of the back line but he is another right footed player. All other things being equal, I believe GP would prefer a natural left footed CB.
    Not many of them around, left footers that is
  • Colin

Thats why I believe Matt Clarke is appealing, he is young but has experience, a natural left footer and Cheap!

Someone GP can mould into a left sided CB and part of a back three for the alternative formations.
  • .....oh and did I say he is CHEAP!
  • and also Birch has a good relationship with Pompey, so the deal wont be as difficult as some deals.
    SpringheeledJack
    Read earlier that Clarke’s fee could be around £4m with a portion going to his previous club Ipswich.

Potter likes his centre backs to be comfortable on the ball, have the ability to pass through the lines and break into midfield wildfires with composure. In the small number of games I have seen him he doesn’t have those traits, more of a typical Pulis type c/back. Hopefully I am wrong should we sign him. 23 in September isn’t that young.
  • I doubt we would pay £4m for him. If thats the case he is off our radar. Just £1m less than CCV sounds a little overpriced, so perhaps its just the normal agent induced Clickbait £4m

I guess we will have to wait and see. I believe we will be looking at the emerging talents in the Brentford mould.

By the way when did 22 coming on 23 become not that young!
    Read earlier that Clarke’s fee could be around £4m with a portion going to his previous club Ipswich.

Potter likes his centre backs to be comfortable on the ball, have the ability to pass through the lines and break into midfield wildfires with composure. In the small number of games I have seen him he doesn’t have those traits, more of a typical Pulis type c/back. Hopefully I am wrong should we sign him. 23 in September isn’t that young.
    There's a reason Stoke have been the favourites to sign him.

Cian Harries should be given a fair crack before we spend money we don't have on a defender to play backup to Rodon and van der Hoorn. Different story if the latter leaves, but even then Cian and Joe have an established partnership, and complement each other well.
  • There is a place for Cian but we still have no natural left footer who can play as CB except for Matt Grimes. We were also lucky CCV and VdH both stayed fit through the season whilst Joe was injured. Having 4 CBs also gives us cover if we play 3 at the back.
  • I doubt we would pay £4m for him. If thats the case he is off our radar. Just £1m less than CCV sounds a little overpriced, so perhaps its just the normal agent induced Clickbait £4m

I guess we will have to wait and see. I believe we will be looking at the emerging talents in the Brentford mould.

By the way when did 22 coming on 23 become not that young!
    23 can be too old by some club’s scouting departments but by and large it can then depend on what a club has to play for that player and if a manager/coach is confident he/they can adapt his game. In Clarke’s game quite a bit.

As for looking at the emerging talents in Brentford’s mould let’s hope MacAulay is up to the job.
    SpringheeledJack
  • Colin Fingers crossed that KM is up to it, I hope he gets tested this year as it means at least we are in the market, But as you say for young emerging talent, lets never fall for the PL or Championship Quality tag again.

Lets buck the trend and buy cheap and sell high, but keep enough to build the team
  • Colin Fingers crossed that KM is up to it, I hope he gets tested this year as it means at least we are in the market, But as you say for young emerging talent, lets never fall for the PL or Championship Quality tag again.

Lets buck the trend and buy cheap and sell high, but keep enough to build the team
    You are not HJ are you, that was his philosophy and eventually his downfall.

Potter is confident in KM’s ability to spot a player but when a club has a Kevin Reeves or even a Frankie Burrows as a player spotter one knew that most of those players spotted would be good enough for the 1st team
  • :D I think HJs problem was h/we stopped being contra the market and just starting paying higher fees for players not worth it.

Better scouting for players who suit us and we can develop into the players we need quickly. GP has shown the ability to progress young talent really fast. Even some of the players who didnt emerge last year still have time.

Really hope GP stays as I believe he will only stay if he has negotiated enough headroom available for this year. If he doesnt then we will know there wont be enough headroom for any new manager to make a difference.....and we have another disrupted preseason.
  • :D I think HJs problem was h/we stopped being contra the market and just starting paying higher fees for players not worth it.

Better scouting for players who suit us and we can develop into the players we need quickly. GP has shown the ability to progress young talent really fast. Even some of the players who didnt emerge last year still have time.

Really hope GP stays as I believe he will only stay if he has negotiated enough headroom available for this year. If he doesnt then we will know there wont be enough headroom for any new manager to make a difference.....and we have another disrupted preseason.
    The main problem we faced after 3 years in the PL was that players' wages started to ramp up but income didn't follow suit, while it was deemed that we had to sign mostly established, higher quality players to maintain a top ten position. Gomis and Ayew came for free but their signing on fees and wages were equivalent to a high transfer fee.

Progressing young talent quickly in the Ch'ship is achievable but would Potter be able to do the same in the PL. An interesting topic no doubt.

The owners are making headroom while done will say that increasing GP's contract only ups the ante on clubs trying to lure him away.
  • There is a place for Cian but we still have no natural left footer who can play as CB except for Matt Grimes. We were also lucky CCV and VdH both stayed fit through the season whilst Joe was injured. Having 4 CBs also gives us cover if we play 3 at the back.
    Cian is a natural left-footer. Brandon Cooper played against Crystal Palace and their new £9m centre forward at the start of the season and did very well. Kyle Naughton played in a back three under Carvalhal (and Potter said the other day he doesn't like 3 natural cbs in a back three as it can go "flat"). 

We had adequate emergency cover for this division, in which league leaders Leeds played us with two right backs at CB and a number 10 at right back and still took a point. Joe could barely get a kick when we only had 3 established options, 4 and we're back in "what's the point of the academy? waste of money!" territory.
  • Fair points all. GP has also put Matt into the CB position on the left because he wanted a natural left footer there, when he could have used Cian. Perhaps he believes Cian needs more work or lacks something.

however GP and Kyle were there scouting, if not the 2 known players of interest; both CBs, who do you believe they were scouting?
  • Cabango needs to be in the squad next season.