Graham Potter

Whatever happens with Potter from this point forward I totally respect him as he has not done a Martinez and threatened to resign he has a Premier League club with better funds wanting his services but he is prepared to listen to Swansea’s plans for the future before making a decision. Potter clearly likes being at Swansea and one must hope he is willing to carry on his excellent work.

Comments

• It's only been a few days, give him time.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48311428

Interesting!!

Would they make the offer if they felt he was just going to go?
  • Either its genuine but will need Summer transfer window assurances, or its an inadequate offer designed to get GP to reject so the UnDynamic Duo can say “We tried”

With Trevor Birch there I tend to believe its genuine and a result of discussions, so it gives me some hope.
  • The wheels are definitely turning on this one.
  • Reseasonable article on WeareBrighton.com and fairly balanced. I do like the image

• I hope his new deal includes cast-iron, written assurances about transfer policy. If it doesn't he'd be an absolute fool to trust their word, pay rise or not. He'd be committing professional suicide otherwise.

If he plays his cards right he might just be the saviour of this current squad in more ways than one.
  • I hope his new deal includes cast-iron, written assurances about transfer policy. If it doesn't he'd be an absolute fool to trust their word, pay rise or not. He'd be committing professional suicide otherwise.

If he plays his cards right he might just be the saviour of this current squad in more ways than one.
    And bankrupt his club like a few before him when the owners don't have an interest in sinking more of their cash into it.
  • i dont think his ask will be unreasonable or life threatening.

• There’s 28 owners and I’m sure they don’t want to see their investments go down the plug hole to zero . If he stays I’m sure there will be some sort of transfer budget , not a lot but enough to get one or two in . Get shot of one or two high earners and the deficit won’t look too bad and I’m sure Birch has convinced them to back GP on what he nearly achieved this season only time will tell
  • jasper_T said:
    I hope his new deal includes cast-iron, written assurances about transfer policy. If it doesn't he'd be an absolute fool to trust their word, pay rise or not. He'd be committing professional suicide otherwise.

And bankrupt his club like a few before him when the owners don't have an interest in sinking more of their cash into it.
    You're talking absolute nonsense.

Potter is not the type to make diva-like demands. This is simply about playing fair and meeting him halfway.

Stop falling for the Yanks' austerity bullshit. 
    Mark_Jack_London
  • The Un-Dynamic Duo will be quick enough to be back over here if GP gets us promotion next year. Which posters will then be trying to give them credit for their superb management of the club, and forget GP dragged them to the table because he could leave.

Let get some perspective, GP just needs some room to flex so he has enough tools to do the job.

• jasper_T said:
    I hope his new deal includes cast-iron, written assurances about transfer policy. If it doesn't he'd be an absolute fool to trust their word, pay rise or not. He'd be committing professional suicide otherwise.

Potter is not the type to make diva-like demands. This is simply about playing fair and meeting him halfway.

Meeting him halfway to what? What Brighton will offer him in spending money? Parachute payment down another £10m this season, we'd be in admin by Christmas unless the Americans feel like supporting the club out of pocket.

Can't see that happening to be honest. 
  • I think thats possibly pessimistic maths!
  • Why employ Birch and now hoping to make Leon vice chairman if the club was going into admin sooner rather than later
  • jasper_T said:
    jasper_T said:

Meeting him halfway to what? What Brighton will offer him in spending money? Parachute payment down another £10m this season, we'd be in admin by Christmas unless the Americans feel like supporting the club out of pocket.

50-50 choice / risk, leave to a team he doesn't know and risk being sacked by Xmas or risk maybe going up next year with a strengthened team he'll know and trust. He doesn't come across to me as a Pulis type of manager who's happy to move all the time.
  • jasper_T said:
    jasper_T said:

You seriously think we will be in administration by Christmas? The only clubs that have come anywhere close have been absolute basket cases that went unsustainably deep into debt because their ambition bore no relation to reality. We are nowhere near to that situation.
  • Potter s legacy is an object lesson is allowing mistakes to be replicated meaning games that should have been won easily are drawn or lost. A true insult for a goalkeeper allowed to sully the shirt ,full backs being beaten at will to cross a ball then is then stroked past a commotose keeper. Every corner kick was dreaded ,every free kick ,every time the ball was in our box really. Let s not forget the fetish of a keeper stroking the ball to centre half then receiving back forthwith only to do the same with both full backs then to kick the ball into touch. That is how it was. We desperately need an experienced operator and one that  will be honest with fans and not feed us the bland bollox of Potter.Overated as much as Sousa was underated
  • Cadleigh said:
    jasper_T said:
    jasper_T said:

You seriously think we will be in administration by Christmas? The only clubs that have come anywhere close have been absolute basket cases that went unsustainably deep into debt because their ambition bore no relation to reality. We are nowhere near to that situation.
    That's what our fans are asking for. They want Potter to be backed with equal to what he'd get at a Premier League club. They want no players sold and £7m spent on Woods. Never a backwards step and spend spend spend. 

Given the state of the last accounts and the unwillingness of any of our owners to throw more of their money down the Swansea City drain, having no cash to keep the lights on (or as in Bolton's case have no food or fuel for the generator at the training centre) might be closer than you think. We were in massive arrears on past comings and goings before the summer started. Highest wage bill to turnover percentage in the PL. Didn't get anything like the expected fees for outgoing players. Income dropped £60m, and another £10m this summer.

We were a basket case of a club living unsustainably in the Premier League, desperately spending to bring in poor players and sack poor managers. We paid millions servicing debt and selling future payments to banks just to have cashflow. Relegation was a hammer blow, but if it had happened a year or two earlier we'd have been far, far better off.
  • 1 ‘We were in massive arrears on past comings and goings before the summer started’ What summer are we taking about here? The summer before the season we were relegated we made a profit on transfers (which we then spent and more at Christmas). Last summer we definitely made a profit on transfers. We may have spent over the odds to get Bony and Ayew back, and missed out on some staged payments as a result, but I am not sure where these ‘massive arrears’ come from
    2 ‘Highest wage bill to turnover %age in the PL’. True. Partly a function of how low our income is due to the size of the stadium and failure of Pearlman to deliver income from sponsorship etc, but true nonetheless. Not a million miles different from many other PL clubs mind you.
    3 ‘Didn’t get anything like the expected fees for outgoing players.’ True. See #1 above
    4 Income dropped £60m, and another £10m this summer.’ True, but we are cutting costs to manage that drop, unlike clubs like Sunderland and Stoke who bet the farm on getting back up at the first attempt. Plenty of other clubs have cut sensibly and bounced back - Norwich for example.
    5 ‘We paid millions servicing debt’. Is that true? We have one of the lowest debt levels in the top two tiers. Isn’t that what many fans have been complaining about - too much risk aversion?
    6 ‘Selling future payments to banks just to have cashflow’. I have heard this theory repeated on here a lot, but has there ever been any evidence to support it?
  • Cecil
    Did you go to any games ? Do you have any understanding of football ?
    Are you one of those that sit behind me shouting "kick it up" every time we have the ball ?

The man worked miracles here, some of the best goals ever seen here. You are a football dinosaur, maybe you want Coleman here ?
    garythenotrashcougarbigoak
  • @jasper_T I haven’t heard anyone suggesting we fund at PL levels, in fact the debate has been that generally GP does ask for huge transfer budgets.

Now he may have asked for PL levels in which case that would just be an excuse for leaving. I very much doubt that was what he was asking for.

As for saying we want no players sold or moved on. Apart from Wayne the latest list was meant with approval with the Ayews, Borja and possibly JM and TC well understood. Of the current team DJ is generally accepted to be going.

So your entire comment is meaningless at best, probably Biased and distorting what people are saying.
  • My view on the Potter situation for what it's worth is that I believe he would have stayed if he was given the assurances he wanted. Yes money talks and I'm sure his wages have been increased at Brighton, but not by a huge amount.

My biggest fear now is that there will be an exodus of players who would possibly have stayed had Potter stayed. I was looking forward to our progression next season with a couple of experienced players added to a young exciting squad. Now I fear we may struggle. Hopefully I will be proved wrong.

One thing I am sure of is that we will never get anywhere while the Yanks are in charge.
    bigoakgarythenotrashcougar
  • The WR situation is more down to one of administration.

Facts are he is out of contract. They hadnt managed to agree a new deal before the old one ran out, but conversations were ongoing. Then complicated by Potter leaving. Would a new manager still want him? Could they come to a financial agreement - both sides need to agree, let's not forget?

One thing is for sure. The Potter deal needs to happen quickly, and the Club needs to replace him as soon as that deal is done. And part if it needs a no poaching clause, if possible.

Until then, unfortunately the club is in a difficult position in concluding talks with WR. Hopefully he can wait a wee bit longer. 
  • edited May 19
    Cadleigh said:
    1 ‘We were in massive arrears on past comings and goings before the summer started’ What summer are we taking about here? The summer before the season we were relegated we made a profit on transfers (which we then spent and more at Christmas). Last summer we definitely made a profit on transfers. We may have spent over the odds to get Bony and Ayew back, and missed out on some staged payments as a result, but I am not sure where these ‘massive arrears’ come from
    2 ‘Highest wage bill to turnover %age in the PL’. True. Partly a function of how low our income is due to the size of the stadium and failure of Pearlman to deliver income from sponsorship etc, but true nonetheless. Not a million miles different from many other PL clubs mind you.
    3 ‘Didn’t get anything like the expected fees for outgoing players.’ True. See #1 above
    4 Income dropped £60m, and another £10m this summer.’ True, but we are cutting costs to manage that drop, unlike clubs like Sunderland and Stoke who bet the farm on getting back up at the first attempt. Plenty of other clubs have cut sensibly and bounced back - Norwich for example.
    5 ‘We paid millions servicing debt’. Is that true? We have one of the lowest debt levels in the top two tiers. Isn’t that what many fans have been complaining about - too much risk aversion?
    6 ‘Selling future payments to banks just to have cashflow’. I have heard this theory repeated on here a lot, but has there ever been any evidence to support it?
    Before last summer started. Take a look at the last published accounts. We owed far more for players we've bought in the past than we're still owed for players we've sold. Interest payments on borrowings (not just permanent debt, this would include short term cashflow loans to pay the day-to-day bills) was over a million, with more "paid" to cash out on future payments to keep some money in the till.

We've been dining out on next month's paycheque for a number of years. A positive transfer net spend in a single window can't suddenly put us comfortably in the black, not when expenses stayed so high and most of the money doesn't even come in for another year or so.

We've never been cash rich. Go on Companies House and you'll see the documents selling future payments for Gylfi and Andre Ayew to Santander. Had to do it to be able to buy replacements in those windows.