Football betting site Betway

Additional Goalscorer

Just in case we keep GP as our Manager, one of the key additions for me during the Summer is an additional goalscorer or striker.

Do you agree and if so what characteristics should he have, to be the best fit for the team.

I ask this as we have never been the most prolific team in teams of scoring goals, often in my opinion because we dont pick players who fit naturally with the possession based game we play.

Tall or not, quick or strong, 6 yard predator or goal maker etc. What characteristics would you want an additional forward to have.

A couple of interesting stats Oli has scored 24 goals, scoring a goal every 149 minutes played with a 60% shot on target rate, whereas CBR who we all know has flaws in his game has only scored 4 goals. However he has scored a goal ever 151 minutes with a 71% shot on target rate.

Do we need at times to play with 2 up front next year?

Comments

• It is hard to say. 

Martinez, Rodgers and Laudrup teams were wedded to a 4-3-3. I always felt the best striker in their systems were the ones who weren't out and out No9s, like Scotland, Borini and Michu. Players who would drop off, come deeper, link play.

If I thought Potter was going to stick with one formation I would say we need a striker like that, but he isn't that type of manager. He's willing to experiment with systems. 

Without wishing to be cruel, even an average Championship striker like a McGoldrick, or a Wells, would be an upgrade on Baker-Richardson. Even a punt on Clarke-Harris of Bristol Rovers would be worth it. 

We definitely need a better option. Hope McCauley can sort something out.
  • Oli is more comfortable on the left side as a link man where he can drift late into the box link up with team mates and still get a good return on the goals sheet.

Throw in a natural lone striker like Roofe will bring the team 12-15gls, plus an increased amount from midfield will definitely improve the team.

More importantly though with success in mind is keeping clean sheets and not to give the hebe jeebies to the fans when the ball is played into the box from a set piece. This factor is more important than adding another scorer to the team in my opinion.
    Mark_Jack_LondonColinNorthampton
  • I agree with the comments and believe Oli does the Michu, Borini type role but  we need to add some onewho can just position himself well and get on the end of our good build up play. 

Quick, can head well and shoot with both feet and spends most of his time upfront inter chaging to create space. 

On the defensive issues it has to start organisation at set pieces not just new personnel we need someone who can set us up right ideally another tall CB who can pass well but GP has shown he can develop aspects of players game.

Also dont forget the forgotten art of catching crosses, t would certainly reduce my risk of a heart attack
  • Didn't realise until I saw the stats but Celina's chance conversion rate is awful. Should be in double figures for goals with the chances we create. Even Connor bagged 5 this season.

But with Routledge leaving we need someone to lead the line, as Ollie's not good enough at it.
  • Ollie will get 15-20 goals, but doing his thing where he is everywhere, if we could pair him with someone who can also score 15-20 goals then we are on a diffrent standard altogether.

Hopefully Wayne wont be going as he still has a role to play.
  • The man himself is not an option but for me a player like Shane Long. Not magnificent at anything but respectable at everything. And with an incredible work ethic. Thinking a younger Danny Graham as well. As great as Llorente is at some things, it could be very frustrating watching someone like him or Tammy and a whole team press becomes useless because they are not joining in. In the modern game where pressing or not pressing or mixing it up seems to often be a deciding factor, I like a centre forward who comes off knackered and lighter than when he took the field.
  • The man himself is not an option but for me a player like Shane Long. Not magnificent at anything but respectable at everything. And with an incredible work ethic. Thinking a younger Danny Graham as well. As great as Llorente is at some things, it could be very frustrating watching someone like him or Tammy and a whole team press becomes useless because they are not joining in. In the modern game where pressing or not pressing or mixing it up seems to often be a deciding factor, I like a centre forward who comes off knackered and lighter than when he took the field.
    We have to think EFL wages now Col not PL
  • At the wrong stage of his career for us, I believe we cant afford him we have to unearth the next Shane Long type player.
  • edited May 18
    Apologies ColinNorthampton I am agreeing with you, even though reread the post it didnt sound like.
  • It is just the style I'm on about. :)
  • Brentford's Neil Maupay would be ideal for us, but out of our financial capabilities at the moment.
  • Wilks from Doncaster would be a good addition. Not a striker but a very good wingman

Maupay (costly of course) quality but hopefully Potter stays and his recruitment team have a good striker lined up. 
  • Wilks on loan from Leeds can’t see us getting him
  • Actually yeah @Colin_swansea just realised he's on loan from Leeds
  • I wonder if Shankland will be a good fit for us although I heard he didn’t impress during a trial with our 23’s prior to start if season 17/18
  • He's done well at Ayr. He'd probably be decent

Our 15mn that we want for James looks low when Bournemouth have just had a 13mn bid accepted for Kelly, of Bristol City. 13mn for a defender! 

Need to pump that 15mn up in my eyes
  • Shankland's a weird agent-driven rumour our fans have clung to. Doubt many have actually watched him play. Scottish second tier is an awful standard.

Maupay is a filthy little cheat wouldn't want him anywhere near our club or players after what he did to Joe.
  • I have posted before that I would absolutely NOT be punting any significant fee/wages on Shankland. Simple reason is he plays in a league where he has been out scored by an ageing Stephen Dobbie. Are any of us seriously suggesting dropping a big wedge on signing the Dobster back?
    We need a young talent who is pulling up trees in a proper division with competitive quality - eg League 1 or top division of one of the foreign leagues. Alternatively a youngster who is wasting away at one of the big boys and is poised to make a leap forward - think Celina.
  • SVJack said:
    Actually yeah @Colin_swansea just realised he's on loan from Leeds
    Wilks is Leeds born and bred and desperate to succeed there and will in all probability be in and around the squad next season.

colinnorthampton is right we need to find the next lower league gem and they are out there so it's over to Macauley and his team.

Recent examples of the type of players are Shane Long, Troy Deeney, Andre Gray, Danny Ings, Dwight Gayle, Jay Rodriguez, Charlie Austin and of course, Jamie Vardy

• jasper_T said:
    Shankland's a weird agent-driven rumour our fans have clung to. Doubt many have actually watched him play. Scottish second tier is an awful standard.

Maupay is a filthy little cheat wouldn't want him anywhere near our club or players after what he did to Joe.
    Posted with a bit of tongue in cheek
  • Think we should go for Marquis from Donny. He was shit today but if we can get him a Welsh accent and some platform shoes we could punt him out for 100 mill to the Chinese. Anyone who watched today's game will know what I mean. Even tries to have his hair like Bale.