Football betting site Betway

Guardian reports he's gone

Brighton have triggered his clause, and he's said he has told Birch he wants to go.

Comments

• oh dear, I was really hoping he would stay, but hey ho let's move on and start the next chapter.
  • house of cards now. we. are. f**ked!

Birch has an almost impossible job now.

Not only does he need to offload a bunch of players that drain resources and dont want to be there. 

but persuade players who will want to go now Potter has left.

And that's without even thinking about finding his replacement.
    bigoak
  • B*gger, b*gger, b*gger. 

What are the options for manager, im struggling to think of one, then there is the problem of players who want to go. Matt will be off as well.

F*ck
  • ....on the plus side havine enough money wont be a problem, just having a team.
  • There's nothing we could reasonably offer him to match what he'd get at Brighton. Was probably an easy decision in the end.

We need to remember that Potter was not the starting point of this team, and we don't lose the progress we've made this season with his departure. The lads at the core of our revival had been here playing cracking football together for years before Potter arrived. With the right appointment they'll continue to make big strides forward.
    DubDragonCadleighbigoak
  • jasper_T said:
    There's nothing we could reasonably offer him to match what he'd get at Brighton. Was probably an easy decision in the end.

We need to remember that Potter was not the starting point of this team, and we don't lose the progress we've made this season with his departure. The lads at the core of our revival had been here playing cracking football together for years before Potter arrived. With the right appointment they'll continue to make big strides forward.
    Time will tell, but I feel this post is utterly delusional.

Potter was the difference maker with a ragtag bunch of waifs and strays.

Unless Birch pulls off an unlikely stroke of genius with his replacement, we are utterly f*cked now.
    jasper_T
  • If Potter has had talks with the club and has now decided to go then that really worries me.

Don't give me that 'he couldn't refuse a Premiership job' bollucks. This is a guy who stayed at Ostersunds for years before moving on to someone else.

Has he been told that if he had stayed then the yankee muppets would still sell our next generation of players to the highest bidder? If so I don't fucking blame him for walking. There's only so much he could put up with.
  • jasper_T said:
    There's nothing we could reasonably offer him to match what he'd get at Brighton. Was probably an easy decision in the end.

Please tell me who the right manager is and how we will get him in post in 3 weeks. What world do you live in, a Matrix, of your own construction.

I need some hope I cant even come up with a manager who will want to play our style, never mind one who will come to us when our offer couldnt even keep our existing manager.

Wake up from your own personal Matrix.
  • @Jack_14_Army

Of course that's why he's gone. They were never going to be in a position to keep him with the Brighton offer on the table. The only surprise is how many people genuinely thought he might end up staying - delusional isn't the word
  • @garythenotrashcougar

Potter could have just walked in January after that pile of shit transfer window and I wouldn't have blamed him.
    The fact that he didn't showed he was more genuine than the typical ambitious managers you get nowadays but I always worried that the owners would piss him off one too many times.

Do you honestly think he'd leave for the first premiership club that came calling if we weren't in the situation we're in now.

I don't, his seven years at Ostersunds tell me he wouldn't have gone that easily unless he had good reason to.
  • Brighton interesting move. I've stated before they don't have the players to play a Potter favoured passing game

Brighton finished 17th. I don't know any awful lot that Potter can do to stop Brighton finishing about the same next season sorry I really don't. Spending money wise though, Brighton have spent a lot - Jakanbaksh, Locadia, Andone..very little return on the pitch IMO. 
    Mark_Jack_London
  • He has gone. Thats it the reasons dont matter. We the fans are still here. In the end he wasntbprepared to see the job through. You can infer all sorts of reasons, but they dont matter he is a manager of a rival club, so I dont care how he does Im more interested in how we save our season and find a good manager.
  • @Jack_14_Army

I totally agree - he's a man of integrity and dignity, not once did he complain publicly about his lot, despite having plenty of reason to do so. He's gone because the club have made zero effort to retain his services. 

People can talk all they want and find reasons to justify or provide mitigation for the actions of our owners but the fact is they are bad news and have been since the day they walked through the door. 

Our club is a husk, a soulless husk. Rotten to the core, and it breaks my heart. 
  • @Jack_14_Army

I totally agree - he's a man of integrity and dignity, not once did he complain publicly about his lot, despite having plenty of reason to do so. He's gone because the club have made zero effort to retain his services. 

People can talk all they want and find reasons to justify or provide mitigation for the actions of our owners but the fact is they are bad news and have been since the day they walked through the door. 

Our club is a husk, a soulless husk. Rotten to the core, and it breaks my heart. 
    ‘Breaks your heart!’ No doubt you will get used to it when you follow the club for the length of time many posters on this forum have done. You just move on. 

No doubt Birch has been aware that GP could well leave so let’s hope he won’t let the grass grow under his feet in search of a replacement. 
    Let’s just hope that whoever it is will arrive in plenty of time unlike when Potter was appointed
  • Potter has been the only positive in the Yanks tenure, he brought on young players who weren't given a chance previously, he has taken James from a possible star to a 15M players who will be gone,  Roden, Grimes, Roberts Byers McBurnie, VDH are now worth several million after playing to a system set up by Potter, they will probably be sold as well. He rejuvenated Routledge who has been off loaded and similar with Dyer who I feel they would also sell if possible. The ones on loan we don't want but cant get rid of, makes the situation worse. Until this morning I was a little hopeful that the owners could convince him to stay and use the James money to guarantee it, they obviously couldn't or wouldn't give written confirmation. It was all about meeting the compensation clause, Brighton have stumped up in excess of 2M and low and behold he is gone. I am firmly behind the so called gloom merchants, we are now well and truly f...………..d  Whether my conspiracy theory is right or wrong, I would give anything to see the back of these scumbags  
  • Shame. I saw his presence at the Portsmouth Sunderland game as a positive. Maybe Routs was the final straw and indicative of what else is to come re players going out
  • edited May 18
    @Phillip Sadly that sums it up for me! However I cant wish GP any good fortune as he has dumped us in the toilet, even if the Un-Dynamic Duo havent helped.

I have to hope Trevor Birch can save us, because there isnt anyone else
  • @Jack_14_Army

‘Breaks your heart!’ No doubt you will get used to it when you follow the club for the length of time many posters on this forum have done. You just move on. 

No doubt Birch has been aware that GP could well leave so let’s hope he won’t let the grass grow under his feet in search of a replacement. 
    Let’s just hope that whoever it is will arrive in plenty of time unlike when Potter was appointed
    Thanks for the patronising response Colin, nonetheless I'll clarify what I mean as you've not understood correctly.

It's not Potter going that breaks my heart (even though I am extremely disappointed), it is the way the club is being run from top to toe. 

I'll give you an example if you like.

McBurnie and Rodon are at a local youth team awards presentation day today, representing the club.

They found out the news the same time as all of us, on Twitter. They are embarrassed.  

That is our club right now, summed up. Wrong, wrong, wrong - wherever you look. No class, no decorum, no dignity.
  • Its got to be said, I work in  business, and I would never let my teams find out that way.

So that sits fair and square with GP if he hasnt had the dignity to make those calls before he has told the club. He has gone down in my estimation if that is truely the case.
  • @SpringheeledJack

It's Trevor Birch's job to make those calls mate. Not Potter.
  • @garythenotrashcougar

No I work in business, and I would never let my teams find out from someone else. Ive been there. It is my responsibility. I respect your views, but this is poor management by GP.

You ask anyone in business if they would lettheir teams find out from someone else, and Ill show you a weak man or woman.
  • @SpringheeledJack

I beg to differ, it has not been officially announced yet by either club therefore Potter is not in a position to make those telephone calls/texts. Birch is though. 
  • @garythenotrashcougar

Fair enough if he isnt going you are correct. If he is going you are wrong.
  • @SpringheeledJack

We'll see I guess. But one thing is certain - players should not be finding out stuff like this on Twitter, it is appalling.
  • Or is it Brighton have activated the clause to speak to Potter .. he may not like what’s on offer there ....
  • @Jack_14_Army

Thanks for the patronising response Colin, nonetheless I'll clarify what I mean as you've not understood correctly.

It's not Potter going that breaks my heart (even though I am extremely disappointed), it is the way the club is being run from top to toe. 

I'll give you an example if you like.

McBurnie and Rodon are at a local youth team awards presentation day today, representing the club.

They found out the news the same time as all of us, on Twitter. They are embarrassed.  

That is our club right now, summed up. Wrong, wrong, wrong - wherever you look. No class, no decorum, no dignity.
    Perhaps you can blame that on social media but there again it doesn’t take much for you to hammer nails into the club.