Football betting site Betway

Prediction tracker

edited May 25 in Swansea City
Just for fun, as Peter Snow used to say on election night, I’ve pulled some of the boldest predictions about the future of the club from recent threads into one place so we can refer back and see who was on the mark and who missed the target by a mile. For some reason a handful of posters seem to make 100% of the predictions on this Forum, so I’m sorry if the same names keep cropping up - if there have been others that I’ve missed then please add them to this thread. Here goes:

Birch is here to help the Americans maximise the amount of money they can remove from the club in the shortest possible time (Andrew2)

The owners plan to take the club either into administration or take us down to League One and sell it on for £5 million or so (Andrew2)

When they leave, there will be no playing assets, and no money in the club (Andrew2)

Birch will do his best to lower costs even more, and try and sell it as a profitable League One club for £5m or so. (Andrew2)

The much loved academy will be empty and unused (Andrew2)

McBurnie will go to Sheffield or Brighton (Phillip)

Leon will probably not accept a role at the club (Phillip)

The club will be linked with some big name managers from the Championship  for PR (BigOak)

We will sign a nobody as manager (BigOak)

There will be a fire sale on the players this transfer window (BigOak)

Most of our players will want to leave this transfer window (BigOak)

We are doomed. (OnceAJack) 

NatterjackArch_Stanton

Comments

• Well name a stand after Huw ( Cadleigh ) ... younger in cheek  :D
    Cadleigh
  • enaitch said:
    Well name a stand after Huw ( Cadleigh ) ... younger in cheek  :D
    Very amusing! What I actually said is he should have a stand named after him, not that he will, although I did predict he will be more honoured in 10 years time than he is today
    enaitchMark_Jack_London
  • If it was put to the fans as a people’s vote then it they would vote it down. I know I would. However, it might be feasible if the club decides to honour him in some way somewhere down the line. How about an unsung hero like Mel Nurse instead? Or a stand dedicated to the Trust with each and every chair sporting the name of a fan who contributed during the dark days that led to the rise of the Swans to the Premier League? I know, my imagination running away with me again.
    Natterjack
  • All good ideas Seajack. Personally I think a Mel Nurse stand, bar or other form of recognition would be spot on. In the longer term when the bitterness has faded I am sure Jenkins contribution will be seen in perspective. It will take a while though. 
  • edited May 25
    The 'Leon will not accept a role at the club'. Safe to say that's already confirmed as incorrect but will be interesting to see how many of the other comments come to fruition or not
    Cadleigh
  • I would say that predictions about the managerial appointment being a PR exercise and we’ll end up with an unknown are wide of the mark too - can’t see Leon and Curt standing for that
  • Why not have Curt and Leon managing ?????? 
  • Curt has retired and Leon doesn’t have the experience. However they hold our DNA to choose the manager who can get the best from our current squad and play our possession attacking style.
  • I remember about 18 months ago somebody on here, after a poor performance in one his first senior matches saying that Dan James would never make it and “should never wear a Swansea shirt again”.
    anybody going to own up to that one?
  • Always need to cut some slack on young players - they can develop VERY quickly (as per DJ). Hence the contrast in my assessment of CBR (24) versus Asoro (19). Our under 23 set up should be pruned from 22-23 year olds who are treading water in favour of those 21 and less who show promise.
  • I’d rather cut my cock off and convert to Islam than have tony pullis (brownie)
    JackaremeDubDragon
  • Anyone know when manager interviews are likely to be made ?  We need someone in place well before the end of June.

• Jackareme said:
    Always need to cut some slack on young players - they can develop VERY quickly (as per DJ). Hence the contrast in my assessment of CBR (24) versus Asoro (19). Our under 23 set up should be pruned from 22-23 year olds who are treading water in favour of those 21 and less who show promise.
    Totally agree. Unfortunately, thanks to our recently departed CEO, those promising youngsters, CBR and Biabi, will be 25 & 24 years old at the end of their current contracts. Unbelievable !!
  • @Jackareme @ DeeKay I believe the academy bears a fair share of responsibility for not improving CBR and BB enough.

We do seem to struggle with developing goalscorers, but normally our players technical skills are high. So why CBR has such trouble immediately controlling the ball doesnt reflect well on a combination of the player himself and/or the academy coaches. Lets be honest its not difficult to spot!

I will say no-one can fault CBRs attitude, and when you look at the stats his rate of scoring is virtually identical to Ollie, its just he has played less time this season. So I cant help feeling there is a good goalscorer inside CBR, we just need him working one to one to improve with someone who knows the goal scoring art inside out. Surely it is worth it financially for the club to hire someone. They can work with  BB as well, at the very least any cost would be recovered many times over either by results or a transfer fee.
  • ......perhaps we can have someone to improve his speed/pace whilst we are about it
    Jackareme
  • Why not move Trundle from Hospitality to youth goal scoring coach ... :D
  • No seriously why not, sounds like a good idea to me, if he can actually teach and improve players not just compete with players
  • Thought you were being sarcastic  my apologies . Does seem strange that he is there and not being used to help the strikers considering he still can find the net in the welsh league consistently 
  • Great players don't necessarily make good coaches. The game is littered with examples of that.
  • edited May 27
    If not then get a good goalscoring coach in, even on a consultancy basis, there is no down side, and the cist is tiny compared to the cost of a player
  • I had a long career at various levels from sunday to welsh premier leagues (retired c1998) and it is my considered opinion that you can coach up the general play of a striker and make a marginal improvement on delivery and production in the final third. However (for at least 75% of the story) the reality is that goalscorers are born rather than made. Some players can be quite limited BUT just have the knack - others can be brilliant and rather like a jigsaw go to pieces in the box.
    it is why there will always be a premium on an Ollie McBurnie (who in fairness has a decent all around game) and why other players with very limited ability can make a good career (Lee Chapman anybody? - great example of a VERY poor player who had the right time right place "gift".)
  • @Jackareme You have a fair point. Although I believe rarely do any of us reach our potential, as we dont practice enough.

Gary Player used the phrase in response to a reporter’s question on certain lucky shots during his round, to which he said ‘Strange, the harder I practice, the luckier I get.’

Now ideally you want a blending of natural talent with practising the right things, but most of the great goalscorers were relentless at practice.

You then practice, until the movement and action becomes natural. There is an old Althetic saying, ‘if you dont have a naturally biomechanically sound running action, change it until you do.’ Not as good as the Gary Player quote, Ill grant you, but Ive seen this in action, and it reduces the likelihood of injury as well.

I just wish someone would assess JMs running action, as Im sure thats why he gets injured so much!
    Jackareme
  • ....so I believe the players can make themselves better goal scorers, I remember stories of Gyfi’s free kick and deadball practices after training, and he made himself one of the luckiest free kick practitioners I have seen!
  • @Jackareme

Really good point about nature v nurture.

In OM's case I see it slightly differently in that I think his all round game is somewhat lacking - he's too easily bullied by centre backs, his first touch can be hit and miss, and he's not got a lot of pace. I personally think he would struggle badly in the Premier League, because there are not many teams who would take the hit on his limitations for the sake of the goals. 20-25 years ago he could have been in many Premier League sides but the game has changed.

But, at this level, you can't argue with the guy's goalscoring record it is there for all to see and he does have that happy knack of arriving in exactly the right place at the right time.

• Really interesting debate about making our strikers better and for me the bottom line is that the more practice and effort to hone your craft will make a player better, however, it's not just about practice as poor practice and repeating the same bad things will not improve a player, it has to be good quality practice (this is where a coach can be invaluable).

Ronaldo is a prime example of how dedication can pay off 

Carlos Queiroz once had this to say :

"I have always spent time with players on free-kicks but with Ronaldo, we worked for days and days. We practiced every day. There’s nobody who’s prepared to work harder for his artistry.

I remember when we got to the Champions League final in 2008 against Chelsea. As usual, I stayed with Ronaldo on the training field to sort the set-pieces with him. It was a new ball, a different ball for that match and our first day was a disaster. He could not get one free-kick between the posts, nothing was correct; it went up, it went left, it went right, never on target.

So then we started on the details: stand to the right, to the left, put the standing foot there, strike it like this, inside the foot, outside the foot.

After two days, still nothing, but after three days it started to fly how we wanted. Air distribution in all balls is different and that one was a nightmare to work out, but the important thing is that Ronaldo never quits. Not after two whole days with no success. That is what makes him a pleasure – I always say he motivates the coaches, not the other way around".

The players who reach the very top have a mixture of the right physical attributes (that can be honed), the right work ethic (practice, training, professionalism etc...) and most importantly the right mentality. 

Obviously, some players have more natural talent to start with Gazza, Geroge Best for example but even these had to work hard at their craft.

Other players may be more limited but work hard enough to reach their potential (and then some) like Harry Kane, David Beckham for example

• @Jackareme

Really good point about nature v nurture.

In OM's case I see it slightly differently in that I think his all round game is somewhat lacking - he's too easily bullied by centre backs, his first touch can be hit and miss, and he's not got a lot of pace. I personally think he would struggle badly in the Premier League, because there are not many teams who would take the hit on his limitations for the sake of the goals. 20-25 years ago he could have been in many Premier League sides but the game has changed.

But, at this level, you can't argue with the guy's goalscoring record it is there for all to see and he does have that happy knack of arriving in exactly the right place at the right time.

Oli can be equally effective playing in a wide left position as he did on loan at Barnsley and he was superb in that role at Blackburn. He is a natural goalscorer who revels in free spaces, possesses a good football brain and would no doubt be really effective in assists and goals scored playing off a striker.

He's no slouch around the park and he is clever in getting his body between the ball and his opponent. A player of Oli's stamp is easy meat for the physical c/backs in the Ch'ship and that's why Potter had him just off the opposition c/backs to enable him to link up with more forward runners in Routledge. Derby's Marriott would be an ideal player for Oli to link with. 

• The fire sale is well and truly under way (Andrew2, 7 June)
  • Birch is here to help the Americans maximise the amount of money they can remove from the club in the shortest possible time (Andrew2)

The owners plan to take the club either into administration or take us down to League One and sell it on for £5 million or so (Andrew2)

When they leave, there will be no playing assets, and no money in the club (Andrew2)

Birch will do his best to lower costs even more, and try and sell it as a profitable League One club for £5m or so. (Andrew2)

The much loved academy will be empty and unused (Andrew2)

McBurnie will go to Sheffield or Brighton (Phillip)

Leon will probably not accept a role at the club (Phillip) Rest In Peace...

The club will be linked with some big name managers from the Championship  for PR (BigOak) Nurse, contact the intensive care team!

We will sign a nobody as manager (BigOak)

There will be a fire sale on the players this transfer window (BigOak)

Most of our players will want to leave this transfer window (BigOak)

We will appoint a manager as late has possible (BigOak)

There will be no players brought in on contract worthy of our shirt (BigOak)

We are doomed. (OnceAJack)