WOL is suggesting its Cooper

A little concerned if true, as the England u17s dont play our passing style, which I thought was a prerequisite.

Well time will tell, I’m thinking an announcement on Tuesday, what do you think?

Comments

• If true two things come to mind first his interview must have been unbeleiveable and secondly what a monumental risk Birch is taking.
  • Charlie10 whoever gets the job will have given a great interview and every managerial appointment is a risk

Cooper will have likely have very good references from Rafa Benitez & Roy Hodgson the manager during his time at Liverpool and likely whoever Trevor Birch knows in the Liverpool boardroom. 
    Then there are the references from staff within the England setup.

Also many are advocating the policy of youth and who is going to have more knowledge of the youth players in the UK than the England U17 manager since 2015??
  • A little concerned if true, as the England u17s dont play our passing style, which I thought was a prerequisite.

Well time will tell, I’m thinking an announcement on Tuesday, what do you think?
    yes they do.
  • Don't forget Leon and curt is part of this recruitment, it doesn't all boil down to who Birch prefers. 
  • We also have to remember that Potter’s only experience of coaching in the English (including Wales) system was at college level. He was a left of field choice and a risk. I remember, this time last year, the many, many reservations about Potter- “He’s done well in Sweden but...”
    so, if it is Cooper, maybe we’ll be fending off all the lower Premier League teams this time next year. 
    Then there was Roberto - only experience - player/coach with Chester. We took a risk.
    That’s the nature of risk - sometimes you lose, but when you win it can be so sweet.
    If he’s good enough for Brits and Curt then I’m happy.
    garythenotrashcougarMikeTasmaniaCadleighTauntonJackMark_Jack_London
  • edited June 9
    @Mark_Jack_London I dont believe they play our style of possession football, from what I have seen of their matches, now you can argue, that may not be a bad thing and he has other attributes he can bring and layer on our style. That is a fair argument, just saying “yes they do” whilst succinct does really bring much to the table.

His teams have been very successful and scored lots of goals, and he genuinely looks like a good coach with real potential. However they play a very different style, they are elite u17s playing tournament football. Its a very different game.

There are little stats available, but Ive watched all of England u17 matches when they won the World Cup and during that tournament you can see some games they have more of the ball and they have less, on balance it would be close to see if they achieve 50%, but they certainly dont have the pass success rate we are used too. They consistently win, thats undeniable, and he may turn out to be a Farke appointment. 

I really hope so, if he is to succeed, we need him to stay for 3/4 years to help develop our teams. 

I’ll keep looking for stats and post them if I find some, but I dont expect them to be extrordinary in possession or pass success rate.
  • Could be a great appointment - could see him bringing in lots of exciting young players on loan from big teams. Then again, that was supposed to be Clements’ strength.

No question he sets his teams up the way we want to see though.
  • edited June 9
    Huge difference between men’s football and U17/18 youth football even at Int. Level. He might tick the boxes but one huge factor is his lack of experience in recruiting players. Hopefully Birch will have somebody in well before the season starts.
  • Huge difference between men’s football and U17/18 youth football even at Int. Level. He might tick the boxes but one huge factor is his lack of experience in recruiting players. Hopefully Birch will have somebody in well before the season starts.
    Birch has said that recruitment will be outside the manager's remit - although he will have the final say. So I think we are looking at a continental coaching set up. 

That would allow us to take up-and-coming, highly thought of coaches, lessening the risk.
  • Huge difference between men’s football and U17/18 youth football even at Int. Level. He might tick the boxes but one huge factor is his lack of experience in recruiting players. Hopefully Birch will have somebody in well before the season starts.
    Birch has said that recruitment will be outside the manager's remit - although he will have the final say. So I think we are looking at a continental coaching set up. 

That would allow us to take up-and-coming, highly thought of coaches, lessening the risk.
    How can you have recruitment outside the managers remit, so they find say seven candidates and he can pick one from that, that's absolute madness.
    Picking the right manager shows the owners have confidence in him finding the players, its their job to back him as he was their choice.
    Jenkins did recruitment for 3 years, what a joke that was.
    You cant employ a manager and say these are the players we have selected for you, now go out and make them A1.
    In other word we are not having a manager, we are having a coach who has to work with what he is given
  • Phillip said:
    Huge difference between men’s football and U17/18 youth football even at Int. Level. He might tick the boxes but one huge factor is his lack of experience in recruiting players. Hopefully Birch will have somebody in well before the season starts.

How can you have recruitment outside the managers remit, so they find say seven candidates and he can pick one from that, that's absolute madness.
    Picking the right manager shows the owners have confidence in him finding the players, its their job to back him as he was their choice.
    Jenkins did recruitment for 3 years, what a joke that was.
    You cant employ a manager and say these are the players we have selected for you, now go out and make them A1.
    In other word we are not having a manager, we are having a coach who has to work with what he is given
    Why can't you do it, the concept is quite common practice in Europe where a coach is employed to work to a concept that is agreed with his head of recruitment who provides the links to signing players compatible with the coach's thoughts on the game.
    The down side at the moment is that we havn't got a head of recruitment but Birch will have to ensure that when he does appoint somebody, his remit will have to fall in line with the style of play a head coach is setting his team out to play.
    deekay
  • Hopefully both the coach and Head of recruitment remit will have to fall in line with the style of the Club, otherwise we willl have gone away from our principles.
  • @MadrynJack Unfortunately your argument is based on a false premise. To compare GPs experience of working his way up through the Leagues with Ostersunds, to Cooper’s experience of winning the u17 World Cup just doesnt work. the gulf in managerial experience between the two is huge, and not in Coopers favour.

You discuss about the benefit of taking a risk as if it is gambling. That’s not how the club should take risks, its risks v rewards.

Do you buy this player because he is difficult to manage but will score goals consistently? Should we hire a Manager with no experience of men’s cutthroat league football because..... what exactly, what is the upside he has got his teams promoted,,,,,,,, has he consistently got 2/3 players promoted from u23 to the first team. No he has done None of the things, at least 3 of the other names have done. 

This sounds like I’m anti-Cooper but I’m not, its just a very risky appointment with only vague hope of reward. But no reward he can point to already achieving.

If this appointment is true, I really hope it works out, because we cant afford another reset in January. I have no doubt we will play attacking football and he will have my support as long as he plays our possession game 50%/78%.

However lets not go into this believing it is anything other than very very risky for Cooper and us.
  • A lot of older quotes from him propping up today. If hes a man of his word then he is comitted to possession football. 
  • Every manager who’s ever had a job has got to start somewhere.iff it is cooper I’m quite excited 
  • @gorka_pintado ....and GP believes in long term projects. 

I don’t worry about what people say I judge on what they have done as a clear indication of what they will do.

Its just very very risky, remember that next season. I hope we blitz the league like Norwich and AC and LB have unearthed a gem, but at the moment I am worried.

Preseason will tell us.. we haven’t had a good preseason for years and I know some people say it Doesn’t matter, in my opinion it does, a good team finds a way to win, and at the very least Cooper certainly did that with his u17s
  • It appears to be getting to the stage where a decision has to be made over a rooky U17 coach that will attempt to carry out a Swansea Way of playing or the lack of candidates for that mode of play results in a compromise that sees either Appleton or Adkins hired with a remit for positive, attacking football.
    Personally I wouldn’t take the risk of hiring Cooper I would go for Adkins or Appleton.

• I am more than OK with this - I really like his philosophy, and particularly his attention to detail in preparing and coaching his teams. Making this appointment, however, does put the focus on supporting him with a director of football who is more experienced and can work with him on navigating the transfer market. Ana a JB to boot..(at least at an early age) so should understand something of our history and traditions.
    TauntonJack
  • Presumably its LB as the advisor to the Board who will be fulfilling that role.
  • My head agrees with Colin. Logically one of two guys who have been there, and now how to work within the difficult confines they will face.

But my gut feeling is that Cooper would be a big success. Not rhyme of reason for it. I just do.
  • Why are on last looking is this guy 80/1 with the bookies - doesn’t make sense !?
  • I didn’t realise his father is Keith Cooper the ref !
  • J4cka said:
    I didn’t realise his father is Keith Cooper the ref !
    Yes, I read that too. maybe we'd get the rub of the green for once, if he was manager  ;) 
  • Keith is a massive Cardiff fan! 
  • I can imagine the conspiracy theories if we take him, and start badly - or lose vs Cardiff.
  • If we do employ Cooper then we need to give him a long contract and make sure we have all the support teams in place as soon as possible. 

We need to give the guy the best chance possible, the club need to think about CT as well, how about assistant first team coach for continuity as we seem to lose a manager every year!
    Mark_Jack_London
  • I wonder how CT is going feel, after being passed over for the managers job, to a relative rookie?
  • If we do employ Cooper then we need to give him a long contract and make sure we have all the support teams in place as soon as possible. 

We need to give the guy the best chance possible, the club need to think about CT as well, how about assistant first team coach for continuity as we seem to lose a manager every year!
    Potter was given a 3 year contract, so Cooper will no doubt get the same, despite his inexperience, and no doubt he will bring in at least 1 or 2 assistants, so with the existing analytical staff at the club that should be quite enough. Having said that, should he get off to a flyer then he would be in a good place to add to that team.
    As for Toshack, we are not aware of how ambitious he actually is, but if there is serious intent by him to get the manager's job then that should be reflected perhaps in his applying for future vacancies that will arise at other clubs.