Im surprised the appointment wasnt announced yesterday

With the leaks to the press over last weekend, continuing this week, I believed the deal had been done, but the rationale for no appointment yet, being given is that the contract details are still being negotiated with SC.

Who leaks a story like this, before the contract details have been sorted? Otherwise you could decide who you want, start telling people but then the ‘appointee’ could start making unreasonable demands.

Does this sound strange to anyone else? Time is moving on so we need to know the issue is settled so the club can move on to the other serious issues we need resolved.

I hope the announcement is today otherwise I will start to worry its not a done deal.

Comments

• Yep. Same here. You almost get the feeling that it’s about to fall through.
  • With the leaks to the press over last weekend, continuing this week, I believed the deal had been done, but the rationale for no appointment yet, being given is that the contract details are still being negotiated with SC.

Who leaks a story like this, before the contract details have been sorted? Otherwise you could decide who you want, start telling people but then the ‘appointee’ could start making unreasonable demands.

Does this sound strange to anyone else? Time is moving on so we need to know the issue is settled so the club can move on to the other serious issues we need resolved.

I hope the announcement is today otherwise I will start to worry its not a done deal.
    Who leaks a story like this.... usually an agent
  • edited June 12
    @Jacktar I disagree too many specific comments in the WOL and elsewhere. The Club kept a tight control on any leaks during the process but it changed at the end of last week.

It felt like we were being prepared for a slightly controversial decision, by articles extolling SCs virtues. Then all of the sudden its gone quiet, as we are negotiating the deal with SC......really. Doesnt quite ring true to me.

If we dont hear today, I will be concerned.
  • On Nation radio today apparently Mike Flynn is still in the running but I can’t confirm it as I never listen to that station ... lol so much for the high calibre  of applicants Mr Birch mentioned
  • @Jacktar I disagree too many specific comments in the WOL and elsewhere. The Club kept a tight control on any leaks during the process but it changed at the end of last week.

It felt like we were being prepared for a slightly controversial decision, by articles extolling SCs virtues. Then all of the sudden its gone quiet, as we are negotiating the deal with SC......really. Doesnt quite ring true to me.

If we dont hear today, I will be concerned.
    Its usually an agent that releases a story and journo's lap it up, nine times out of ten its to promote their client, even if its BS but not sure its the case in this instance either.
    I won't be concerned at all, he's either our man or not, it not as if they are beating down his door to hire him.
  • @Jacktar the agents promotion stories tend to be different, and in preparation for interview, rather than stating the preferred candidate and setting a timeline (24/48 hrs) for the announcement of the new coach.

It feels like a strange period to me, fair enough if you dont think so.
  • It was Stuart James in the Guardian who reported the ‘deal done, announcement in 24 hours’. He has excellent links to the club. I don’t expect this was a strategic link, more a case of ‘no need to maintain maximum secrecy now because we have our man’. The fact the announcement hasn’t come probably just means they are still handling some of the legal stuff
  • I think I preferred it when there was a tight hold on news and there were no leaks.
  • Still a little surprising. Considering the comment from WOL today

England under-17s boss Steve Cooper is on the verge of being handed the manager's job at the Liberty Stadium, and could well be confirmed as Graham Potter's successor this week, although an official unveiling to the media isn't expected until early next week.

The only reasons I can think for the delay is they are interviewing for HoR this week, or TB is busy trying to get the Ayews and Borja sold, but how much time does it take from TB, AC and LB just to get the manager announced.

It still feels strange to me.
  • :scream: Huw Jenkins has snuck in, and driven off with his transfer contract.  :scream:
    Chris_Sharman
  • It's not always agents leaking this stuff. 

there have always been people at the club with loose lips, and friends who's lips are even more slack.

As for why the deal isnt done. There is the small matter of gaining his release from England to deal with.

As well as negotiating with Mike Marsh to come in as his No2, he probably has other backroom staff we would need to speak to, agree salaries and draw up contracts.

Cadleigh
  • @Mark_Jack_London if we need to gain his release from England, presumably the delay is due to negotiating the release payment we will need to pay.

Logically if Mike Marsh plus others may be coming then we will probably need to agree similar payments, so if it goes smoothly we might have an announcement today, if not it will take longer and perhaps it will take until next week.

At least we have a small pot of money following GPs move to Brighton to draw upon.
  • @Mark_Jack_London if we need to gain his release from England, presumably the delay is due to negotiating the release payment we will need to pay.

Logically if Mike Marsh plus others may be coming then we will probably need to agree similar payments, so if it goes smoothly we might have an announcement today, if not it will take longer and perhaps it will take until next week.

At least we have a small pot of money following GPs move to Brighton to draw upon.
    History tells us that very few new appointments are done overnight, so many issues to deal with in the modern game. 
  • To be fair, its not really overnight, I quite liked the new tight regime regarding the process, if someone at the club has broken ranks early, I can imagine TB will not be happy, as it affects any negotiation and doesnt allow a clean announcement.

I dont know if youth England coaches have a release clause, that could cause a problem, and perhaps another coach with him.

So lets hope it happens soon, as preseason is less than 2 weeks away.