Football betting site Betway

Out of Contract 2020

Thinking about Mike VdH and what we do about him being in the last year of his contract made me realise we have a lot of players with contracts ending June 2020.

in total we have 15 players with contracts ending, Jordan and Biabi have been sorted by the sound of things, we have Borja and Jeff being worked on. That still leaves us with 11 players including most of the old guard and some of the youngsters.

We have a tough call to make on these players, but I’m assuming if an offer comes in for most of the players we would want to sell before the contract just runs out. Unless someone is desperate in January and can’t wait 4 months, then this is the last transfer window to get a fee for most of the old guard.

Timing will be everything, with the window closing including for free agents on 8 August.

Comments

• I spoke about this at length last season.

Birch has a huge amount of work to do this summer. Top of the list was to move the big earners on, but he has the following to either extend or sell.

VdH
    Mulder
    Nordfeldt
    Harries
    Naughton
    Byers
    TC
    Yan
    CBR
    Dyer
    Routs

Those looking to be offloaded
    Jordan
    Jeff
    Borja

• MJL

Of that list, I would suggest that that only the loss of VdH would seriously weaken the squad. So, this could be looked on as a positive
  • disagree.

Naughton, Byers and the form Routledge has had since January, are important players in that squad. I am sure Wayne would accept that his contract would wait until the end of the season, as it did this.

the other two have resale value, as does Dyer and TC.

the former two more important to extend - 1 season for Kyle, 2 for Byers.

Harries and Yan, well, we need to see some big progress for them during the season, same for the keepers. It is asking a lot of Benda to be No1 at his age, and with no senior keeper in the squad. getting a replacement wont be cheap.

• I agree, we shouldn’t be letting contracts run down this way, we need to extend a number, even if that then means selling next Summer.

However there are a number who we would want around next year anyway. So 11 contracts/extensions to be resolved.
  • This is where we really need the Head of recruitment in place - NOT because he would be making the calls on retention of players, that will be Cooper and Birch. However, knowing the individual players and potential costs of replacement really influence the value of the contract you offer.
    For example Mulder and Nordfeldt could be dealt or allowed to walk if there was a low cost replacement keeper on the horizon - if the market for keepers is high then we would potentially take a very different approach to contract extensions with the pair.
    For a lot of the others Cooper and Marsh is getting to know them right now and I expect his opinions will give Birch his "marching orders" with the priorities for extending contracts.
    I agree with @SpringheeledJack that (projecting forward a year) the really important single player to retain or replace is VdH as his influence extends way beyond his ability on the pitch. The three mentioned whose salary we need to offload NOW is urgent work and you can add Carroll to that list.
    For the others they either sign or they walk in 12 months. I don't see any likelihood of a fee being received for any of them in summer 2020.
  • Jackareme said:
    This is where we really need the Head of recruitment in place - NOT because he would be making the calls on retention of players, that will be Cooper and Birch. However, knowing the individual players and potential costs of replacement really influence the value of the contract you offer.
    For example Mulder and Nordfeldt could be dealt or allowed to walk if there was a low cost replacement keeper on the horizon - if the market for keepers is high then we would potentially take a very different approach to contract extensions with the pair.
    For a lot of the others Cooper and Marsh is getting to know them right now and I expect his opinions will give Birch his "marching orders" with the priorities for extending contracts.
    I agree with @SpringheeledJack that (projecting forward a year) the really important single player to retain or replace is VdH as his influence extends way beyond his ability on the pitch. The three mentioned whose salary we need to offload NOW is urgent work and you can add Carroll to that list.
    For the others they either sign or they walk in 12 months. I don't see any likelihood of a fee being received for any of them in summer 2020.
    Doubt the club will rush until mid season along with some of the players, if it looks like a promotion is on the cards some might hold out for a better deal, if the opposite the club could be tied with more wages they could struggle with in the first division 
  • Not sure VDH will want to extend but we need to get Byers a new deal as soon as possible.
    Jackareme
  • Not sure VDH will want to extend but we need to get Byers a new deal as soon as possible.
    your prayers have been answered. Also Wayne has re-signed
    Jackareme
  • I am pretty certain that as we talk TB is sorting more contracts out!
  • Nice to see he’s reading the forum posts!
  • If TB is reading the forums he really has lost his way
    SpringheeledJack