Football betting site Betway

VdH

Looks like the suitors for VdH are getting smaller.

Villa, having signed Mings, are poised to take Brentford's Konza for £12m today.

I think interest from Germany could be our biggest issue. But unless a Bundesliga 1 team comes for him, would he move?

Comments

• I get the feeling he's not going anywhere, especially after that little speech in the article on the official site. I think maybe because we lost Dan James, we worried that teams would pick the rest of our boys off....sadly we're not that good yet, luckily. Maybe Potter did us a favour not playing Celina towards the end of the season. Next season I have a feeling George Byers might be the target for the top six. He's a real talent. 
    huwrichards57
  • Pablo
    Get a grip mun. Byers, a 23 year old, who has been little above average for the u23's for the last few seasons, breaks into our first team in the second half of last season and does reasonably well. He is nowhere near to being an automatic choice for our first team, let alone being a top six target next season. Time will tell how good he will become.
    Talk about getting ahead of yourself .....
  • Pablo,

I assume you are talking top 6 in the Championship? Surely?
  • I really like Byers as a player, but top 6! This is taking rose-tinted to the extremes. not even specsavers sell those kind of spectacles! :flushed:
  • deekay said:
    Pablo
    Get a grip mun. Byers, a 23 year old, who has been little above average for the u23's for the last few seasons, breaks into our first team in the second half of last season and does reasonably well. He is nowhere near to being an automatic choice for our first team, let alone being a top six target next season. Time will tell how good he will become.
    we'll see won't we when the season is done! I'll make sure to remind you all if he has a blinder! :p

• There's a big difference between having a blinder and being a top six target. So let's see if one of the top six come knocking on our door.
  • I like Byers.
    He has a certain quality , that I can’t really put my finger on. 
    But what does he actually bring to the table?
    How would you describe his position in the team?
    What are his main attributes?
    Would he be your first name on the sheet?
    It would be interesting to hear other people’s views on him. 

• edited July 13
    deekay said:
    Pablo
    well deekay you say average but he was voted player of the season for the under 23's in 2018 ahead of Oli, Dan, Connor....so I stand by my prediction. As for you Mark....we'll see who is right. I'll then remind you of your limp Dad joke about specsavers.  :p [thanks to Jacka for the stat in the article!]
  • Pablo said:
    deekay said:
    Pablo
    well deekay you say average but he was voted player of the season for the under 23's in 2018 ahead of Oli, Dan, Connor....so I stand by my prediction. As for you Mark....we'll see who is right. I'll then remind you of your limp Dad joke about specsavers.  :p [thanks to Jacka for the stat in the article!]
    Pablo may have a point on this on I think he is one of those who will be missed when he not there.

I really like him too
  • Pablo said:
    deekay said:
    Pablo
    Yes, he did win player of the year for 2017/18, but to say that it was ahead of Oli, Dan and Connor is, if my memory serves me well, stretching the truth to make your point. A quick internet search appears to support my recollection that Oli played 7 u23 games that season before being loaned out to Barnsley in January; Dan returned from Shrewsbury with a significant stomach muscle injury which kept him out until mid season and ended the season with 11 u23 games under his belt and Connor returned from Middlesbrough and went straight into the first team squad with no u23 games to his name. That would suggest that they offered little competition to George in the player of the year award. I am of course happy to be corrected on my recollections above.
    To avoid any misunderstandings here, I am not suggesting that George is not a decent player and he may well prove to be a valuable member of our squad. I'm simply saying that it is far, far too early to be saying he could be a top six target next season.
    Mark_Jack_London
  • I dont think anyone does anything but like Byers, and think he is talented. 

What we question is the crazy idea that he is destined for a top 6 side based on what we have seen to date. Would love it if he progresses and becomes that player. Just dont see it.  
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48977896

I wouldn't be surprised to see us sell Mike. His comments don't inspire confidence he is committed to us and with his value declining quickly I can see us selling before the season starts.
  • Herbie said:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48977896

I wouldn't be surprised to see us sell Mike. His comments don't inspire confidence he is committed to us and with his value declining quickly I can see us selling before the season starts.
    I was just thinking the same thing. He's given very emotionless matter of fact answers. Very business like.

Not the kissing the badge type, is Mike.
  • He played really well today.
  • Perhaps VDH is thinking what can I see happening here at Swansea, after the last few years transfer fiasco s ? the owners not willing to back the Manager and show at least a little ambition he MAY be showing he has ambition who knows, this new chairman has what it takes the new manager could do a job but when the owners / board are saying only free and loans coming in what kind of message does that show? No wonder he wants to be very business like its his future
    Arch_Stantongarythenotrashcougar
  • Maybe he just wants the play in the PL and he is gambling, ‘....well perhaps we make it and I negotiate my contract then, but I can get a high sign on/salary combo next year in any case...’

He sounds like a man who is keeping his options open because of his age.

It has to be said it doesn’t seem to affect his commitment on the pitch, but it does mean we need an experienced CB to be found.
  • ...but not entirely sure that is VdH’s long term plan. He looks like he is keeping his options open.
  • VDH comments and choice of language make my instincts ( no better or worse than anyone else's) think there is a realistic chance he goes. They sound to me like a reasonably intelligent and eloquent man saying "let's see if the board have ambition - I am prepared to stay if they do" while obviously not saying it directly. I get the feeling those words were chosen with a lot of care and not coughed out casually while getting off a bus.

i also find myself thinking that if I were him, this would be a very reasonable stance to take.
    garythenotrashcougar
  • Colin I agree with your comments totaly
  • VdH realises this next contract is his big one. So he is reluctant to sign anything just yet, as this is his big payday. We wont be offering as much as someone like Villa would have if they hadnt already signed to CBs.

So he will hold out to see what his agent can come back with. And if there is no interest right now, then he could negotiate a deal with us, with a clause to escape next summer or even January. 
  • Sometimes, it is very difficult for us, as fans emotionally invested in how the team does, to take a step back and empathise with how players might actually feel.

So it is good to see that many understand where VdH is probably at right now.

What we also need to do is apply that to - for example - Oli and Grimes. The fact is, if a bigger, better club is willing to pay what it takes to get them, they will be off too. It's a short career, they aren't going to hang about on a promise of jam tomorrow. They will want to go where they think they can further their career and stand a better chance of success. It's why Potter went too. 

Until our ambitions as a club extend beyond the bargain basement, then this will always be a massive threat.
  • We need to get as good a new CB as we can afford in order to manage what is a real risk. Once we get someone in, then we need to consider perhaps selling him near the deadline, unless there is real movement on his contract before then
  • VDH comments and choice of language make my instincts ( no better or worse than anyone else's) think there is a realistic chance he goes. They sound to me like a reasonably intelligent and eloquent man saying "let's see if the board have ambition - I am prepared to stay if they do" while obviously not saying it directly. I get the feeling those words were chosen with a lot of care and not coughed out casually while getting off a bus.

i also find myself thinking that if I were him, this would be a very reasonable stance to take.
    Spot on opinions for me.
  • J4cka said:
    I like Byers.
    He has a certain quality , that I can’t really put my finger on. 
    But what does he actually bring to the table?
    How would you describe his position in the team?
    What are his main attributes?
    Would he be your first name on the sheet?
    It would be interesting to hear other people’s views on him. 

He's a goalscorer. After Oli departed on loans he was top scorer in the u23s despite playing in a three man midfield. Stood out in PL2 football from the moment he arrived ("little above average" lmao) . Has the confidence and technical ability to put himself into positions and create and finish chances.

He's a bit like Ramsey without the engine. You'll get tricks and flicks that will frustrate sometimes when they don't come off, but you need players like him with the swagger/arrogance to try things if you're to break through teams and win matches.

Takes a good free kick as well. 
  • edited July 14
    Jasper - Good post regarding Byers and "swagger" is exactly the word I used to use about him when he was in the U23s.

Hopefully he can redevelop his swagger in the first team this coming season and recapture that shooting knack and confidence to shoot and drive more by getting a bit further forward  than he did last season.