Football betting site Betway

Information from meeting at Liberty

Comments

• Thanks for the link to the tweets @Colin_swansea.
    I wonder if there'll be a transcript of the forum. 
    Let's hope so. 
  • Sounds incredibly positive - apart from the drop in season tickets which we've discussed before - thanks for sharing!
  • So we're all ok with Birch admitting it's only free transfers and loans then? 

That doesn't sound very positive to me. 

That sounds like walking into Tesco at 3 on a Sunday waiting for the yellow stickers. 

No way to run a serious Championship club, I'm sorry.
  • "They are probably hoping we return to some success. The only way they will have a return is by getting this club promoted back to the Premier League."

If there was any doubt why that hedge fund consortium purchased us in the first place.
  • Cadleigh said:
    Sounds incredibly positive - apart from the drop in season tickets which we've discussed before - thanks for sharing!
    Cadleigh said:
    Sounds incredibly positive - apart from the drop in season tickets which we've discussed before - thanks for sharing!
    I would say that's the only positiive. Given how the club is run these days a 12k take up, given our attendandce history, is excellent.
  • The way Mr Birch has come in is a breath of fresh air,but this meeting shows there is no new money from the owners and quite frankly never thought there would be , while i want the swans to do well and at least be in the top 6 am wondering will they? with out the backing how can we compete with Leeds etc?

That sounds like walking into Tesco at 3 on a Sunday waiting for the yellow stickers. 

If there isn't money available to spend, free's and loans is all we can do. It is what it is!
    NatterjackPablo
  • At least SC obviously knew about the free/loan transfer and home grown talent situation when taking the job so no need for 'betrayal' type controversy this season.That is the course they have chosen and it's been been transparently made clear,so onwards hopefully to good results.

TauntonJackCadleighPablo
  • Positives
    Honesty, openness, commitment to the Swansea Way, young players asking to come here, Birch in sole control of day to day affairs

Negatives
    No magic money tree

no pleasing some people
    Lydford
  • Well said Cadleigh. Loan signings didn't harm the teams who went up last year. As long as we keep what we have now and get loan signings or frees to cover the areas we need to cover, we can be competitive. 
    Cadleigh
  • Birch has come across well no doubt.

But a ball has yet to be kicked under his chairmanship and it's the second coming.

Incredible
    garythenotrashcougar
  • Perhaps after what we have been through, some of us just recognise and appreciate authenticity, honesty and most of all competence.
    CadleighLydfordJackaremehuwrichards57
  • To be honest I would rather Cooper concentrated on getting in loan players until he has really seen his current squad tested in different circumstances, rather than splashing limited funds on what he thinks he needs. Long term, of course we need to build around permanent signings but I have a feeling Birch and Cooper know that. 

And at at least no one will be able to claim that either of them came into the club under false promises
    Lydford
  • Steve said:
    So we're all ok with Birch admitting it's only free transfers and loans then? 

If there isn't money available to spend, free's and loans is all we can do. It is what it is!
    A sensible comment. All clubs are selling clubs apart from maybe Real Madrid and Barcelona. If we sell the Ayews, Montero and Baston then we are ar our baseline. We will have a team with a plethora of youngsters busting a gut for our team. Also free transfers can sometimes been outstanding, it's not just a case of players nobody wants but also potentially excellent players who have run their contracts down. 
    NatterjackLydford
  • Steve said:
    So we're all ok with Birch admitting it's only free transfers and loans then? 

Are you aware of the personal wealth of our owners Steve? If not you might be surprised, they might have a quid or two to put in - they just choose not to
  • Spot on @TauntonJack I am sure it was confirmed that several other clubs wanted Bidwell so he is hardly a player nobody wanted.

It doesn't sound 100% positive to me either.

Birch and Cooper have come across as honest and transparent, they have said that the money we've made from the sale of Daniel James has done a lot to help us become more financially stable. The concern I have is would free and loan deals be good enough to replace him. 

They said we will be clearing more players off the books, but what wasn't mentioned is that if we make any more from the sale of these players, would we then be able to invest in buying a player or two in that could possibly help us out better than loan and free deals would?

If we made 5 or 10 million out of any the extra sales, how can they be saying that loan and free deals is all we can do, when financially we would be a lot better off, it doesn't make sense. It would be cutting us off from looking at certain players who may be perfect for us.

I can understand that 'it is what it is' right now, and I could understand if they had said that if we make any extra cash, looking to buy could be an option to consider, it doesn't sound like they would though. So I agree with garythenotrashcougar, it is not so good to be completely closing the option to look at players we could buy.

• @TauntonJack I agree, we should all have learnt the lesson of judging transfer by the size of the fee, rather than what they can deliver on the pitch for the team.  

The current approach makes sense, considering where we are. Personally I don’t want any more of the US owners money, the only thing they can do for the club that I’ll support is leaving.
    NatterjackTauntonJack
  • I believe TB said there might be a small amount of money available but certainly no big million pound deals!
  • I hope we keep feeding the academy with players, they have taken a big hit in senior players moving on. The academy has served us well, let’s more sure it has the players available to keep that process go8ng.
    Lydford
  • That is the big worry  and there is no guarantee that the next batch that come through will do as well!
  • It's also quite ironic when we complain that we're not spending money as a means to success. Isn't that what got us in trouble in the first place???!!!! 
  • Agreed, but we need our New Head of Recruitment, to make sure from the start that our recruitment works in an integrated way across the age groups and the senior squad.

There are positions we will need to target in the youngsters to make sure he right talent is coming through to the first team. This needs clear integration with SC.
  • It would be interesting to see where all the money has gone in the last few years. TV money. Parachute payments all gone where?
  • TenbySwan said:
    It would be interesting to see where all the money has gone in the last few years. TV money. Parachute payments all gone where?
    Quite agree.
  • I prefer to go the loans and free transfer route.the big spenders and big wages payers are always the ones that come unstuck.blackpool and Cardiff were promoted on a shoestring so it can be done it’s all about recruiting a mix of youth and experience in the championship for me.

• Birch has said "If it's a small transfer fee then possibly, but that's where we are. That's our current financial position."

So he hasn't completely ruled out buying players if it is within our financial means.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/trevor-birch-reveals-swansea-citys-16572859

• TenbySwan said:
    It would be interesting to see where all the money has gone in the last few years. TV money. Parachute payments all gone where?
    Quite agree.
    It’s all gone on players wages, plus a bit on the academy and training facilities. The accounts are available if you want to see them - right up to the end of the season we were relegated. 

The most important thing thing that has happened to this club in recent years - more important than relegation IMO - is that the academy is delivering the goods. Yes, we will have to sell most of our young talented players but that’s how teams we want to emulate - like Norwich and Southampton - thrive. 

If all all we got out of seven years in the EPL was the academy, it would still be more than worth it.
    TauntonJack
  • TenbySwan said:
    Plenty of discussion on that over last couple of years, in a varity of threads here.You can make your own personal choice on which are the most accurate.
  • I am Ok with loans and frees for this window. Rather they spend any extra money trying to keep the employees in jobs