Football betting site Betway

McBurnie gone

1246710

Comments

  • If McBurnie goes for £20m, I'll look forward to a swift statement from the club announcing they're going to relax the 'free transfers and loans' policy, and give Cooper some financial backing he so desperately needs to fill the many gaps left by players who departed this summer. 
    enaitch
  • If McBurnie goes for £20m, I'll look forward to a swift statement from the club announcing they're going to relax the 'free transfers and loans' policy, and give Cooper some financial backing he so desperately needs to fill the many gaps left by players who departed this summer. 
    Birch has been pretty open about our developing financial picture so I look forward to it, too.
  • The money received this year from the sale of Oli will pay for roughly half of the salaries of AA, Borja and Jeff for this year, so there wont be any money made available for transfers from this deal.

    Dream on, Im affraid.
  • This could turn out to be a bad time in our clubs history. Losing two of our best players in one window, this can cause a lot of players to become unsettled. We can expect to see a lot more sales in the future. Most of our better players will be eyeing up moves that could improve their bank balances (they've seen their teammates do it). 
  • rob_h said:
    Past history has shown that we don't replace with the same quality as we sell. Sigurdson was sold 16th of  August 2017, window closed 31st,  so we have less time to replace with this window.

    We will probably buy a few youngsters, not spend much, then try to develop them. We will be middle to lower half of the league, possibly in a relegation fight. If a relegation scrap happens, the club will realize that the fans were correct all along. Sell one of your best players, yes, you can get away with that, but two and a new rookie manager, they really haven't backed him.

    For the first time in a while I was optimistic we had a good team that could make a strong push for promotion. Whoever we get in will have missed the pre-season, McBurnie has been playing when we could have been giving other players game time. I knew it would be too good to be true for them to see we could keep him and not lose out.

    A Ayew they should have sold when they had an offer but they refused, McBurnie could have been worth much more that £20m to us, if we managed to achieve promotion.

    Yanks Out!!!
    I didn't know that we'd had an offer for Andre Ayew. When was that, from which club and how much was offered?
  • It’s been a bad time in our clubs history for the last few years  not just this month ...
  • well Birch did say at the beginning that if and when the dan deal happened there may be 1 or 2 more but for absolutely the right price
  • edited July 29
    I didn't know that we'd had an offer for Andre Ayew. When was that, from which club and how much was offered?

    I got him mixed up with Jordan: we should have accepted the £8m from Fulham for J Ayew.
  • I dont think the accounts will matter if a sale goes through before or after year end. That's because FFP is over 3 seasons.
  • @Mark_Jack_London there are tax liabilities tho if we show a profit this year
  • Martyn said:
    @Mark_Jack_London there are tax liabilities tho if we show a profit this year
    depends if we have made a profit or not, Martyn (which I doubt)
  • The club don't understand the bad effect this could have on us. Everything has been going great, the supporters were optimistic, really looking forward to the season, but now we are having the rug pulled from under us.

    It's like a darkness has descended. Turning up to the liberty will be like going to a funeral, the fans will be in mourning. Excitement has been replaced with gloom. 

    And the club will really believe that: everything will be OK.
    The same as they believed everything would be OK with Bob Bradley
    Same as they thought everything would be OK with replacing Sigurdson and Llorente. 

    With Birch, Britton, Curtis and Cooper,  I think we would have been good, but them in the background, they will always fail to see the bigger picture. They will never change.
  • rob_h said:
    This could turn out to be a bad time in our clubs history. Losing two of our best players in one window, this can cause a lot of players to become unsettled. We can expect to see a lot more sales in the future. Most of our better players will be eyeing up moves that could improve their bank balances (they've seen their teammates do it). 
    I completely understand your anxiety @rob_h but I don't believe there has been any player in the last 3 decades whose ambition was to spend their career at the Swans (Curtis, Trundle and Leon all left to better themselves). Lets not kid ourselves all players in clubs like ours are constantly eyeing up "better moves" - it is a short career.
    the key is - in well run clubs - to ensure evolution iis done in a controlled and strategic way. I am confident (fragile admittedly) that our management (not ownership) are shrewd football people who will make good decisions to move us forward.
    When one door closes, with good planning, another will open. For example remember the sky falling in when Potter announced his resignation? Not feeling such a disaster now is it??
    barryColin_swanseaSeaJack
  • Jackareme said:
    rob_h said:
    This could turn out to be a bad time in our clubs history. Losing two of our best players in one window, this can cause a lot of players to become unsettled. We can expect to see a lot more sales in the future. Most of our better players will be eyeing up moves that could improve their bank balances (they've seen their teammates do it). 
    I completely understand your anxiety @rob_h but I don't believe there has been any player in the last 3 decades whose ambition was to spend their career at the Swans (Curtis, Trundle and Leon all left to better themselves). Lets not kid ourselves all players in clubs like ours are constantly eyeing up "better moves" - it is a short career.
    the key is - in well run clubs - to ensure evolution iis done in a controlled and strategic way. I am confident (fragile admittedly) that our management (not ownership) are shrewd football people who will make good decisions to move us forward.
    When one door closes, with good planning, another will open. For example remember the sky falling in when Potter announced his resignation? Not feeling such a disaster now is it??
    I totally agree Jackareme,in fact make that 6 decades with Medwin,Jones,Charles and the Allchurch brothers.It's a familiar scene,at least we have saleable assets when needed.
    Jackareme
  • @jackareme Its like a good joke, its all about............................timing.
    Jackareme
  • edited July 29
    Jackareme said:I completely understand your anxiety @rob_h but I don't believe there has been any player in the last 3 decades whose ambition was to spend their career at the Swans (Curtis, Trundle and Leon all left to better themselves). Lets not kid ourselves all players in clubs like ours are constantly eyeing up "better moves" - it is a short career.
    the key is - in well run clubs - to ensure evolution iis done in a controlled and strategic way. I am confident (fragile admittedly) that our management (not ownership) are shrewd football people who will make good decisions to move us forward.
    When one door closes, with good planning, another will open. For example remember the sky falling in when Potter announced his resignation? Not feeling such a disaster now is it??

    I wish I had your optimism, I remember when the Yanks first came here, then when the fans could see how they were, slowly the majority turned against them. And I remember at that time, while the growing didn't like what they were witnessing, there were still the optimistic supporters who were giving them the benefit of the doubt.

    Birch has been a man of his word so far, and if he really was left in charge I do think things could change. Birch stated we wanted over £20m, my understanding was slightly over £20m and I think he wanted all the money up front, no add ons (am I correct on that). So if we are now going to sell for £17m with £3m add ons, this is less that Birch said we would sell for. Add ons may turn out to be zero if certain conditions are not met.

    For me, it seems like the same old MO that the Yanks just keep on doing, we don't know for sure what Birch's purpose here is. It may be to sell as many players as he can for the best price, get the club financially stable and to sell the club on (if we are in the championship or not).

    If we sell McBurnie for £17m, the trust I had in Birch won't be the same.
  • I dont think the accounts will matter if a sale goes through before or after year end. That's because FFP is over 3 seasons.
    Fair point on FFP Mark, I hadn't thought of that.

    My thinking was in terms of what would make the club look better for a sale (maybe no difference/impact) but also regarding possibly taking a dividend on this year's results - so getting Oli over the line by Wednesday night could allow them to do that easier and earlier. 
  • I dont think the accounts will matter if a sale goes through before or after year end. That's because FFP is over 3 seasons.
    Fair point on FFP Mark, I hadn't thought of that.

    My thinking was in terms of what would make the club look better for a sale (maybe no difference/impact) but also regarding possibly taking a dividend on this year's results - so getting Oli over the line by Wednesday night could allow them to do that easier and earlier. 
    PS - if the Trust vote for legal action then taking dividends is unlikely as it would just beef up the Trust's funds at the wrong time in the owners' eyes.
  • rob_h said:
    Jackareme said:I completely understand your anxiety @rob_h but I don't believe there has been any player in the last 3 decades whose ambition was to spend their career at the Swans (Curtis, Trundle and Leon all left to better themselves). Lets not kid ourselves all players in clubs like ours are constantly eyeing up "better moves" - it is a short career.
    the key is - in well run clubs - to ensure evolution iis done in a controlled and strategic way. I am confident (fragile admittedly) that our management (not ownership) are shrewd football people who will make good decisions to move us forward.
    When one door closes, with good planning, another will open. For example remember the sky falling in when Potter announced his resignation? Not feeling such a disaster now is it??

    I wish I had your optimism, I remember when the Yanks first came here, then when the fans could see how they were, slowly the majority turned against them. And I remember at that time, while the growing didn't like what they were witnessing, there were still the optimistic supporters who were giving them the benefit of the doubt.

    Birch has been a man of his word so far, and if he really was left in charge I do think things could change. Birch stated we wanted over £20m, my understanding was slightly over £20m and I think he wanted all the money up front, no add ons (am I correct on that). So if we are now going to sell for £17m with £3m add ons, this is less that Birch said we would sell for. Add ons may turn out to be zero if certain conditions are not met.

    For me, it seems like the same old MO that the Yanks just keep on doing, we don't know for sure what Birch's purpose here is. It may be to sell as many players as he can for the best price, get the club financially stable and to sell the club on (if we are in the championship or not).

    If we sell McBurnie for £17m, the trust I had in Birch won't be the same.
    If he goes, it will be 2 words

    'undisclosed fee'
    rob_h
  • IMHO Birch is here to try and steady the ship and at the same time try and get the club to really tick on the field (I remember him saying as much when he came in).
    The Americans/Board have, it seems, given Birch carte blanche to do as he sees fit. However, I very much doubt whether Birch would risk selling Oli at this late stage of proceedings and seriously hinder the excellent progress made by the staff and players to realistically mount an attempt at reaching the playoffs or even automatic promotion.
    The Americans are investors and are not averse to risk themselves. What a prospect it would be for them and the club if we were to reach that goal and get into the PL!
    I know, it's a big IF.

    If we sell Oli, I don't think we'll be able to mount another challenge for quite a while.

    My glass is full.

    COYSS
  • IMHO Birch is here to try and steady the ship and at the same time try and get the club to really tick on the field (I remember him saying as much when he came in).
    The Americans/Board have, it seems, given Birch carte blanche to do as he sees fit. However, I very much doubt whether Birch would risk selling Oli at this late stage of proceedings and seriously hinder the excellent progress made by the staff and players to realistically mount an attempt at reaching the playoffs or even automatic promotion.
    The Americans are investors and are not averse to risk themselves. What a prospect it would be for them and the club if we were to reach that goal and get into the PL!
    I know, it's a big IF.

    If we sell Oli, I don't think we'll be able to mount another challenge for quite a while.

    My glass is full.

    COYSS
    Funny how no one has suggested we accept an offer only if we find a replacement, and only an idiot would believe that the club has not been looking a possibilities all summer knowing that offers would be coming in. I also think we must have one of the best people in place who must have already been checking out all the up and coming players on the market for the past few years. 
  • Yes I think we need to play hard ball..but it does remind me of a conversation that I had recently with a guy who was boasting that his house was now worth $750k. Great - except that in the same conversation he was bemoaning the high cost of houses "on the market".
    Rambling analogy - but the price tag received for Ollie is not the only (or even the most important) factor. What IS important is how any revenue from the deal gets utilised and whether it makes the club stronger (or not).
    Maybe with a competent Head of recruitment in place 17 million spent in the right way is worth more than 20 million in the hands of a fool, or with no time to spend it!
  • Gingergit said:

    only an idiot would believe that the club has not been looking a possibilities all summer knowing that offers would be coming in.


    I think the idiocy might be on the part of those who think much planning went on before this point. Let's not forget, it was only last week we appointed someone whose actual job it is to do succession planning. 

    The club knew Fer, Bony, Narsingh, James, Carter-Vickers and Olsson were off as early as the first week of June, yet to date have only replaced the latter two. 

    Call me old fashioned, but that don't sound like very good planning.
    rob_h
  • Gingergit said:

    only an idiot would believe that the club has not been looking a possibilities all summer knowing that offers would be coming in.


    I think the idiocy might be on the part of those who think much planning went on before this point. Let's not forget, it was only last week we appointed someone whose actual job it is to do succession planning. 

    The club knew Fer, Bony, Narsingh, James, Carter-Vickers and Olsson were off as early as the first week of June, yet to date have only replaced the latter two. 

    Call me old fashioned, but that don't sound like very good planning.
    Just because nobody has come in doesn't mean we haven't been looking, there's not much to buy if your not using any money.

  • I think the idiocy might be on the part of those who think much planning went on before this point. Let's not forget, it was only last week we appointed someone whose actual job it is to do succession planning. 

    The club knew Fer, Bony, Narsingh, James, Carter-Vickers and Olsson were off as early as the first week of June, yet to date have only replaced the latter two. 

    Call me old fashioned, but that don't sound like very good planning.

    good post.
  • Gingergit said:

    only an idiot would believe that the club has not been looking a possibilities all summer knowing that offers would be coming in.


    I think the idiocy might be on the part of those who think much planning went on before this point. Let's not forget, it was only last week we appointed someone whose actual job it is to do succession planning. 

    The club knew Fer, Bony, Narsingh, James, Carter-Vickers and Olsson were off as early as the first week of June, yet to date have only replaced the latter two. 

    Call me old fashioned, but that don't sound like very good planning.
    Bony and Narsignh barely played, why would we replace them?

    Wouldn't say we're short of midfielders for Fer's spot, either. Grimes, Fulton, Byers and if he's ever fit again Carroll competing for two positions, with Jack Evans in the u23s.

    One in one out would be a daft policy given how bloated our squad was.
    barry
  • jasper_T said:
    Gingergit said:

    only an idiot would believe that the club has not been looking a possibilities all summer knowing that offers would be coming in.


    I think the idiocy might be on the part of those who think much planning went on before this point. Let's not forget, it was only last week we appointed someone whose actual job it is to do succession planning. 

    The club knew Fer, Bony, Narsingh, James, Carter-Vickers and Olsson were off as early as the first week of June, yet to date have only replaced the latter two. 

    Call me old fashioned, but that don't sound like very good planning.
    Bony and Narsignh barely played, why would we replace them?

    Wouldn't say we're short of midfielders for Fer's spot, either. Grimes, Fulton, Byers and if he's ever fit again Carroll competing for two positions, with Jack Evans in the u23s.

    One in one out would be a daft policy given how bloated our squad was.
    Bloated squad?! Ha, ha, ha, that's hilarious!
    enaitchgarythenotrashcougar
  • BigG said:
    jasper_T said:
    Gingergit said:

    only an idiot would believe that the club has not been looking a possibilities all summer knowing that offers would be coming in.


    I think the idiocy might be on the part of those who think much planning went on before this point. Let's not forget, it was only last week we appointed someone whose actual job it is to do succession planning. 

    The club knew Fer, Bony, Narsingh, James, Carter-Vickers and Olsson were off as early as the first week of June, yet to date have only replaced the latter two. 

    Call me old fashioned, but that don't sound like very good planning.
    Bony and Narsignh barely played, why would we replace them?

    Wouldn't say we're short of midfielders for Fer's spot, either. Grimes, Fulton, Byers and if he's ever fit again Carroll competing for two positions, with Jack Evans in the u23s.

    One in one out would be a daft policy given how bloated our squad was.
    Bloated squad?! Ha, ha, ha, that's hilarious!
    Potter's selection merry go round in the first half of the season made us look short but after new year no one even noticed that 4 highly paid senior players were injured/otherwise unavailable. Half the players we signed last summer couldn't get in the team.

    For the first time in years the numbers are about right now. Only one or two pointless drains on the budget left to cut away.
    Chris_Sharmangarythenotrashcougar
Sign In or Register to comment.