Football betting site Betway

McBurnie gone

Comments

• i'll believe it when it happens. not hearing anything on the jungle drums, though the lines are quieter than years gone by. Plus no credible journalist has posted anything for definite. 

Only one with insider-connections Gareth Vincent has said he'd be surprised if it didnt happen, but his latest post on the situation is we are still considering it.
    With the £15m bid, we rejected it quickly, that's the worry with this bid.

There are lots of rumors, people who have heard this and that, but nothing official as of yet, only that we are still considering the offer.

If we weren't interested it would have been a straight no, so I'm guessing the longer it goes on, that it's more likely, they in communications with Sheffield and are negotiating details. In this case no news may be bad news.
  • I am sure there is a lot of thought going into this, both by club and player. 

Plus we dont know what's going on with AA. If there were any serious offers on the table, then this is not a deal we would be entertaining, I dont think.
    rob_h
  • A tweet has stated that sky have said: we won't sell unless we have a replacement.

here is the tweet:
    Just been mentioned on sky, a £20 million bid remains on the table but we want a replacement for McBurnie before we let him go

• How do you define a replacement? Another guarenteed 20+ goals a season in the Championship. Rather than some random young player with potential.
  • Sheffield will throw in Billy Sharp as part of the deal  :D
  • How do you define a replacement? Another guarenteed 20+ goals a season in the Championship. Rather than some random young player with potential.

I think it's actually too late for us to find a like for like replacement for McBurnie. He had a full pre-season with us, played every friendly game. This is the first time for a long while where I felt we are prepared for this season and can give it a real good go. 

Back in the day we were used to getting promotions, when we got up a league, next season we would finish midway, then each year higher up until next promotion.

The Atalanta game could be a good indication that we could do very well this season. 

So I think it would be madness to let McBurnie go now because it would mess our season up whoever they brought in. I'd prefer someone from 24 to 26 years old who is a proven goalscorer, how much would they cost us though?

• Unfortunately morethan the club can/will spend, so we need to keep oli.
  • rob_h said:
    How do you define a replacement? Another guarenteed 20+ goals a season in the Championship. Rather than some random young player with potential.

I think it's actually too late for us to find a like for like replacement for McBurnie. He had a full pre-season with us, played every friendly game. This is the first time for a long while where I felt we are prepared for this season and can give it a real good go. 

Back in the day we were used to getting promotions, when we got up a league, next season we would finish midway, then each year higher up until next promotion.

The Atalanta game could be a good indication that we could do very well this season. 

So I think it would be madness to let McBurnie go now because it would mess our season up whoever they brought in. I'd prefer someone from 24 to 26 years old who is a proven goalscorer, how much would they cost us though?

Between 20-30 mill ????

In all seriousness, can someone change the name of this thread as every time I open the main page my heart sinks as I think Ollie has gone
  • Unfortunately morethan the club can/will spend, so we need to keep oli.

Here is the sky news (volume is a bit quiet with it):

https://twitter.com/musicgareth/status/1156288092392833026

• edited July 30
    Mixed news on twitter, some are saying that McBurney's friends are saying he isn't leaving?

Then there is one tweet i've found where someone has said he was at the EFL launch and heard there we have accepted the bid, someone else mentioned that Lee trundle had told him?

Dom@newcol
    Swansea have accepted a bid for Oli McBurnie. #bcafc
    ·
    6h
    Apparently Lee trundle told him in person

Replying to and
    I’m at the EFL season launch...

https://twitter.com/newcol/status/1156214163284344832
  • Brighton are offering £25M for Bristol City’s Adam Webster! I’m not criticising Webster, but Oli McBurnie is a young, proven goal-scorer who gets better with every game (in terms of all round play) and will continue to get better with regular game-time and improving confidence. It appears other clubs see Swansea City as a soft touch, but we already knew that.
    we should say, £25M for Oli, up front, no instalments, add-ons on top of that fee.
    who can forget HJ saying that Sigurdsson would not go for less than £50M - but then Everton decided to give their valuation and we said, ‘oh, okay,’ after an eternity of dancing to Everton and the agent’s tune.
    Just saying.
  • ............or Just say No!
    Absolutely!
  • Deal is £17m, with add ons.

No fit goalscorer for Saturday, what a great way to start the season!

Kasey whats his face better score 20 goals next season if we get him, if thats part of the reason why we have sold.
  • Interestingly, at the same time the BBC announces that we have bought a Swedish forward for half a mill!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49176604

• Poor guy, I hope he is good and can fit in, but b#gger, 3 days before the season starts.
  • edited July 31
    He is a winger, so not a replacement goalscorer.

He’s a right footed, left winger. Reasonable stats  in the Eredivisie, reasonable passing and dribbling, scored 12 goals and 5 assissts last season.

I hope Borja can last 90 minutes on saturday

• He looks capable of having a crack at goal from a distance, but yes, mostly attacking from the left and cutting inside to hit with the right.
  • Looks a good player and just what we need on the left winger, but where is the goalscorer we need!
  • Maybe Oli will reject the move. As we thought it's 17mn rising to 20mn. So it's 17mn!! I'd be curious to know what the add ons are but surely were not naive that we think they're gonna stay up! Kristoffer Peterson, didn't see that coming. We're actually spending money. People are going to have a coronary
  • Looks a good player and just what we need on the left winger, but where is the goalscorer we need!
    Indeed. I would expect to see Palmer and a goalscorer in to supplement Borja seeing as we were apparently trying to lock in a replacement prior to selling. Or is Borja going as well??? Unbelievable we are in this situation again. So so amateurish. 
  • edited July 31
    Mike - here are the facts:
    - We have just agreed a fee for a Swedish international
    - We got him because Cooper drew on his experience and his contacts
    - He is young and skilful
    - The first mention of his name in the media in connection with us was when the fee was agreed, all done in secret as these deals should be
    That seems to me to be the opposite of amateurish.

Everything else - the offer for Oli, discussions over Palmer, all of it - are just rumours for now, fuelled by agents, the clickbait media and over-enthusiastic fans on social media. It is pointless getting our knickers in a twist over hypothetical scenarios. Let’s save our angst until we are given real cause for it. Until then I am feeling pretty good about the business the club has done so far this window.

barryjasper_T
  • Gutted, more so for the timing of it.

Our chances now of promotion have taken a huge hit. If Baston also goes it will be a terrible season.
  • You don’t take any comfort from the fact that we needed a CB, a LB and a LW at the start of this transfer window, and we have not only got good signings in all three positions but also seen Jay Fulton come on by leaps and bounds? 
  • Cadleigh said:
    Mike - here are the facts:
    - We have just agreed a fee a Swedish international
    - We got him because Cooper drew on his experience and his contacts
    - He is young and skilful
    - The first mention of his name in the media in connection with us was when the fee was agreed, all done in secret as these deals should be
    That seems to me to be the opposite of amateurish.

Everything else - the offer for Oli, discussions over Palmer, all of it - are just rumours for now, fuelled by agents, the clickbait media and over-enthusiastic fans on social media. It is pointless getting our knickers in a twist over hypothetical scenarios. Let’s save our angst until we are given real cause for it. Until then I am feeling pretty good about the business the club has done so far this window.

Cadleigh. Fee agreed 3 days before the season starts. We should have said agree fee now when they offered 15 million otherwise piss off as we have our own seasons preparations to sort. Now we are left with no-one familiar with our system up top. Birch has done a lot right but this is bullshit timing and makes a mockery of pre-season. Did the Owners overrule him? Amateurish timing. I stand by it. As far as i’m concerned the debt is now cleared so lets see how we’re run from here on in.
     With regards to Peterson we shall see but i like the fact that we are looking for value and hopefully attitude and drive. We were built on the ability to find these players so no complaints from me on this as the way forward.
     Anyway we move on and i hope that Cooper is able to add what he wants and a Striker is brought in that fits the bill and not leave his pre-season planning totally screwed up.
  • read the tweets above this one for context

I actually don’t understand that thread at all! But they do seem to say he was at the friendly with Barnsley watching the Blades on Saturday. If that’s true it’s very worrying. He only left himself an hour to get back to Swansea for the Atalanta game...
  • The negative side of me thinks we will not be playing as well without McBurnie whoever we bring in.

The biggest mistake is not the selling of Mcburnie, it's the timing of it and players coming in missing the pre-season , so we then have a bad start to the season which would put us back.

But I still live in hope and my optimistic side is thinking that this could be a lot different to when we sold Sigurdson and llorente ( when we blew all the money on duds). If Cooper, Birch, Britton, and our new scout can do a lot better than we did back then. If they can bring in very good replacements for good prices, we will still have a chance.

I have seen our better players leave in the past and believed at the time we were doomed. then I was proven wrong and we went onto better things. So I'm hoping for the best (and especially hoping we keep Baston, who could turn out a very good McBurnie replacement).