Football betting site Betway

McBurnie gone

Comments

• Cadleigh said:
    Mike - here are the facts:
    - We have just agreed a fee for a Swedish international
    - We got him because Cooper drew on his experience and his contacts
    - He is young and skilful
    - The first mention of his name in the media in connection with us was when the fee was agreed, all done in secret as these deals should be
    That seems to me to be the opposite of amateurish.

Everything else - the offer for Oli, discussions over Palmer, all of it - are just rumours for now, fuelled by agents, the clickbait media and over-enthusiastic fans on social media. It is pointless getting our knickers in a twist over hypothetical scenarios. Let’s save our angst until we are given real cause for it. Until then I am feeling pretty good about the business the club has done so far this window.

The fact that we dont hear about these signings until they are completed is one of the biggest improvements for many a year! Also me old mucker Fulton who I have championed this summer, I am confident that with the right guidance, faith from his manager and confidence growing in himself he will be a standout player, maybe even player of the season!!
    Cadleigh
  • I’m always optimistic Rob but this last minute acceptance of deals is like a broken record with our club. Sigurdsson, Llorente, the debacle last summer and in January with James and almost Fer and now McBurnie. I hope we will allow Cooper to bring in who he and the scouts have identified especially now the debt is gone for reasonable sustainable money.
    garythenotrashcougar
  • Well, what a surprise. Not.

It won't stop here btw. 

The transfer window remains open for Premier League clubs until a week Thursday, and even longer for most of the rest of Europe.

Expect a bid from Brighton for Grimes in the next 7 days, and Borja, A Ayew and Montero to be on their merry way by September as well. 

It was, is, and always will be, a firesale to get as much money in the coffers as possible. The football is irrelevant to them. They don't care.
    JoH
  • edited July 31
    Well for what’s its worth the Money suggested for Oli is a good bit of business. The sooner the club get in the Black the sooner the owners will sell. They see the club as an easy sell without debt and want their money back or even a slight loss. So ..... the sooner that happens.
     As far as losing the player it gives opportunity to others. That’s what we have done when we have had success. Even DJ came out of necessity last year and look how he did. We have necessity this year. Let’s see who steps up
  • edited July 31
    I’m always optimistic Rob but this last minute acceptance of deals is like a broken record with our club. Sigurdsson, Llorente, the debacle last summer and in January with James and almost Fer and now McBurnie. I hope we will allow Cooper to bring in who he and the scouts have identified especially now the debt is gone for reasonable sustainable money.
    You're right Mike, except to add it's a huge ask of Scott isn't it - one week into the role - to pull a rabbit out of the hat to replace 22 goals from last season with less than 48 hours of the window left. 

Bear in mind as well, unless things have changed behind the scenes, that he has to produce such a player from a limited pool of players who are either free, or available only for loan.

Put it this way - I don't think you could criticise Scott or Cooper if this all goes tits up. It's just so poorly planned and thought out once again.
  • In some respects this transfer is a watershed moment.
    For the last year all we have been told is that a £30 million deficit needs to be filled before we can move forward.
    This McBurnie transfer along with the Daniel James deal and the money received for Potter and his staff takes us well over that £30 million number so we will now truly see if Trevor Birch and the owners were being honest with the fans. If they come out and say we still need to sell players then Im not sure where we go.
    JackaremeSeaJack
  • edited July 31
     :joy:

Is that a pig I see flying overhead?

If you think this is the end of 'hard medicine', then think again. 

They'll be thinking profit from here on in.

The football doesn't matter to them - and never will. 

Scott, Birch, Cooper - all just pawns in their little game.
  • @garythenotrashcougar I dont believe the US shareholders are actually good enough to be that organised, you obviously rate them higher than I do!

Now theres a turn up.
  • I was told £40m but what's £10m between friends?
  • BBC reporting that it’s £17.5m initial few out of which his old club get £2.6m so just shy of £15m up front. Even if that is phased in three instalments we will be able to borrow against that income so the black hole is definitely closed - for this season at least.

Sad to see Oli go but it takes the pressure off Birch and Cooper and means they won’t be forced to sell players at Christmas if loan deals can’t be arranged for Ayew and Baston. 
  • I thought the comment was, we werent going to agree to the Oli deal until we had a replacement. Surely its not the winger, so where is the replacement?

Rabbit - Hat - Hat - Rabbit, please!
  • I thought the comment was, we werent going to agree to the Oli deal until we had a replacement. Surely its not the winger, so where is the replacement?

Rabbit - Hat - Hat - Rabbit, please!
    It is probably baston.

I'm not sure, if I had a choice of keeping Baston, or trying to find someone else and losing Baston, what would be the better option?
  • If an offer comes in for Baston we will take it, and quite right too with his contract position. We need a replacement for Oli.
  • I think Cooper has been looking for a striker since he got here, but with little or no money even loans have been difficult. So he probably thought if Baston us still here might aswell play him. Now with Oli going do they use a small amount of money, bearing in mind a large chunk has to go to cover AA, Borja and montero's wages on bringing in a forward. Or do they give Borja a chance! If they dont buy a player and run with Borja and for arguments sake he scores goals in the opening few games, a European club could snatch him leaving us up the creek and unable to buy another striker!
  • edited July 31
    It may have been in the plans that if our valuation of £20m was matched and we sold McBurnie, that we would be able to afford to keep Baston for this season.

If a good enough offer came in for Baston though, knowing our clubs history they probably would let him go.

• All the businessmen on the board telling us what great business we have done again selling our best players

The same ones thinking that Baston is the ready made replacement. Less than a handful of goals in 3 seasons. Laughable 
    garythenotrashcougarJoHBigG
  • Well according to marca Baston is intent on leaving, he doesn't want to stay, so the first offer from Spain and its adios amigos. I would be surprised if he is still here when the window shuts. Happy to be wrong tho
  • Cheers Stan and Ollie,good luck to you both in the premier league.i shudder to think what shit state we’d be in iff we hadn’t sold you both.peterson looks just the kind of signings we should be making.im sure Andy Scott has got a bucket list of players on his radar from all around Europe young and upcoming which we should have been targeting 3years ago.hopefully that’s the debt cleared and we can look forward to some new young exiting players coming in without spending a fortune.im quite excited!
    novilik
  • EagleEye said:
    All the businessmen on the board telling us what great business we have done again selling our best players

The same ones thinking that Baston is the ready made replacement. Less than a handful of goals in 3 seasons. Laughable 

I would have prefered to keep McBurnie and the timing of the sale has been far too late. No one can know for sure if Baston would do really well, or if he would be nowhere near good enough (he has looked good in 2 friendly matches so far though). The fact that when McBurnie started getting offers from Sheffield, Baston starts getting some pre-season game time, makes me think that could be an indication. So it may have been in our clubs plans he would be kept if McBurnie was sold. We will have to wait and see.
  • 17.5m with bradford getting 15%
  • Martyn said:
    17.5m with bradford getting 15%
    So we get near enough £15m
  • rob_h said:
    Martyn said:
    17.5m with bradford getting 15%
    So we get near enough £15m
    No the team gets .5M for replacement winger, no doubt the owners will borrow against it yet again, pocket a % then get the instalments to pay off the loan over 2 years.
    Isn't this what they have been doing for 3 years, otherwise how the F do they get their money, they are not here for the love of sport are they?
    Anyone in their right mind that believe they and their 28 investors haven't made sod all in 3 years are living in Cuckoo land.
    We have taken in more revenue than any other present championship side and spent less than all of them in 12 months.
    Our best hope now, is for mid table security, produce no saleable gems for 12 months, then hopefully they will take the last parachute payment and jump ship   
    garythenotrashcougarjasper_T
  • As The Star reported at the end of last season, after revealing McBurnie's name once again topped Chris Wilder's wanted list, the 23-year-old had also been on the verge of joining 12 months earlier when the manager first began plotting his promotion winning campaign. But when Swansea City were relegated from the Premier League, the agreement they had reached with United in principal was discreetly torn-up.

• So he's paying £20m now instead of less than half that last year
    Quite a gamble at PL level IMHO Wilder is still thinking like a Championship manager
    In our financial position Oli was always going to go unless Ayew was sold first and he is just sitting on a great pay packet now and twiddling his thumbs
  • Charlie10 said:
    In some respects this transfer is a watershed moment.
    For the last year all we have been told is that a £30 million deficit needs to be filled before we can move forward.
    This McBurnie transfer along with the Daniel James deal and the money received for Potter and his staff takes us well over that £30 million number so we will now truly see if Trevor Birch and the owners were being honest with the fans. If they come out and say we still need to sell players then Im not sure where we go.
    Not often I find myself on the same page as @Charlie10 - but I think he has this spot on. The hard medicine narrative has been used repeatedly, and as fans we accept it as a part of the relegation process - BUT our medicine has not been hard so much as BRUTAL compared to other relegated teams, and there has been general agreement as to what the "break even" number was with regards to the gap in the finances.
    @Martyn with his record breaking thread has explored many of the calculations, and now by all calculations we are balanced (if not in profit). 
    Seeing Ayew Montero Carroll etc. go would not matter as they contribute little or nothing on the pitch - Other than those 3 our core group of players is set and we should now be looking to add and NOT subtract.
    If the "hard medicine" messaging does not change and we continue to see the exit door opening and closing and no squad improvements in return - then we know EXACTLY where we are.
    I want to see a statement from Trevor Birch at this time letting supporters know where we stand and what the future holds - the club are in danger of one PR disaster too many and losing grass roots supporters.
    garythenotrashcougarSeaJack
  • Birch is going to have to earn his salary to explain this decision and they better have players lined up to replace Oli. 

And those players will will need to show and instant mark, or again the fans will react in a bad way.
  • Jackareme said:
    Charlie10 said:
    In some respects this transfer is a watershed moment.
    Not often I find myself on the same page as @Charlie10 - but I think he has this spot on. The hard medicine narrative has been used repeatedly, and as fans we accept it as a part of the relegation process - BUT our medicine has not been hard so much as BRUTAL compared to other relegated teams, and there has been general agreement as to what the "break even" number was with regards to the gap in the finances.
    @Martyn with his record breaking thread has explored many of the calculations, and now by all calculations we are balanced (if not in profit). 
    Seeing Ayew Montero Carroll etc. go would not matter as they contribute little or nothing on the pitch - Other than those 3 our core group of players is set and we should now be looking to add and NOT subtract.
    If the "hard medicine" messaging does not change and we continue to see the exit door opening and closing and no squad improvements in return - then we know EXACTLY where we are.
    I want to see a statement from Trevor Birch at this time letting supporters know where we stand and what the future holds - the club are in danger of one PR disaster too many and losing grass roots supporters.
    I wholeheartedly agree with every single word of this post.

I suspect you won't get the statement you're looking for from Birch though. I'll eat my hat if Kaplan and Levien were to sanction a statement saying 'hard medicine is OVER! Ta-dah!' or similar. Because that would tie them down and raise expectations. They aren't going to do that. They'll want to keep their cards close to their chest, allow room for manoeuvre.

As you've pointed out, it's been a brutal (great choice of word btw) dose of medicine for us. I do not recall any relegated PL side in recent times who have had to put up with what we have had to suffer in terms of mass player haemorrhage. I'm happy to be corrected if someone wants to come forward and challenge me on that, but I can't think of one.

Readjustment is understandable. Ulterior motives are not. 
    JackaremeSeaJack
  • Ok we should have just balanced the books !Lets see the real intent of your owners !
    Fair play to Oli he kept his head down and left it to the club to sort out ,its refreshing to hear that he was honorable to our club and team ..I wish him the best but we could not refuse the amount on offer .
    We cant shift Borja so best he pulls his finger out and gets in amongst the goals (dont think he fancies Stoke away on a cold Tuesday night !)  He may surprise us certainly he must be better than we think ?
    STID

• No, I don’t either. But how many of them besides Newcastle have held on and regained pl status within 1 or 2 seasons, and then spent a number of years on the brink of financial collapse?