Football betting site Betway

Match Discussion: Derby County v Swans - Championship 2019/20

edited August 11 in Swansea City
This is the place to discuss all things related to the Derby County v Swans Championship game on Saturday, 10 August 2019 at 3:00pm - the Swans first away league game of the 2019/20 season.

The referee for the game is Jarred Gillett and his assistants are Mark Dwyer and Geoffrey Russell, with Darren England the 4th Official for the game.

If you are going to the game at Pride Park have a read of our Travelling Jacks Guide to Derby County.

Share your pre and post match thoughts, views on Steve Cooper's pre or post match comments, team selection and don't forget to submit your score prediction for our Swansea City Prediction League.

Comments

• edited August 7
    This will be a tricky match, but they did have some good fortune against Huddersfield. Huddersfield made a lot of mistakes and in this case there are mistakes and then there is the first goal for Derby.

For those who havent seen anything of the match, From a ball punted high down the Derby right, the Huddersfield full back in plenty of space in line with the penalty area and no pressure, instead of heading the ball, seemed to let it hit his shoulder so it went up in the air towards the middle of the pitch Just outside of the penalty box. The goalie rushes out of his box and heads the ball, poorly straight to Tom Lawrence about 5 yards in front of him. The goalie continues to rush out towards Lawrence, who calmly controlled the ball with one touch and exexcuted a lovely chip over the keeper and the defenders running back towards goal, and into the empty net.

Tom Lawrence ran the show for Derby and his second goal was really excellent, worth a watch. He had a few good long range shots so we will need to close him down early.

All the good moves came through Lawrence and their young right full back Bogle looked good. Most of the attacks came centrally, and were counterattacks.

Huddersfield did dominate possession and came back into the game part way through the firsthalf, but squandered a few good chances, one or two should really have gone in, especially in the second half.

You never know what to expect so early in the season, but we will need to be strong on the right of midfield and defence to close Lawrence down who tends to play left attacking midfield.

No one else looked in his league, although Matt Clarke at CB looked reasonable.

I dont know how we will play away from home this season but I hope we continue and improve the performance during the second half on Saturday into the match on Saturday. Nothing to fear, but certainly reasons to be careful, as they will be riding on a high following their win and the Rooney announcement.
  • https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2019/08/highlights-huddersfield-town-1-2-derby-county

Slightly biased towards Derby, so it misses out a few of the Huddersfield chances, but you get a feel for the game.
  • It was a bad one by the Hud keeper, a cool chip by Tom lawrence and his 2nd goal was also very good, he will be one to watch.  It will be a very tough game, and Derby can get quite big crowds too.

Our players need to stay as cool as the Lawrance and if we play our own game and keep pressing we could get something out of it. 
  • Im optimistic about Saturday, we just cant afford to concede another early goal. The whole crowd was great on Saturday, but it will be very different if they go ahead with an early goal.

Definitely have to close down Lawrence and stop any long range shots.
  • I've just been watching the training video from today, I couldn't spot Asoro,Dyer or Routledge in it.

https://www.swanseacity.com/video/player/0_hhpf59hg
    Gardo
  • ...or Garrick. Injuries perhaps?
  • Peterson looks like he has a good first touch and while Aldo Kalulu is short, he is no lightweight, he looks as though he has good upper body Strength
  • Have seen the last 2 of our away friendlies and I suppose its not a lot to go on especially with the paucity of the opposition but it didn't appear that we were very defensive preferring to try and press further up field and keeping the opposition attacks what there were quiet that way.

If we can keep Lawrence busy away from our area perhaps we can control the game and get a memorable win .

rob_hSpringheeledJack
  • @azzuriswan Yes I dont believe we will be very different away from home, some small tweaks perhaps.

We just need to be on our game from the start, as you say, exactly the way we were in preseason
  • Dyer is amongst the best wide men I have ever seen in protecting his fullback. If he is fit (not in the training video clip) we will match up very well with Lawrence - and Roberts bombing forward will give him the opportunity to do some tracking back of his own!
    rob_h
  • ...or Garrick. Injuries perhaps?
    Jordon said he's back in training but it's with the u23s. Missed his chance to establish himself in first team training squad for now.
    Jackareme
  • @Jackareme Yes we need to focus on our game and use that to neutrailse their threats.
    Jackareme
  • edited August 7
    We need to attack them. No overly defensive stuff. No sitting back. I'd rather us lose having a go, than us lose merely sitting back. Of course I expect a win!
    Jackaremerob_h
  • Yes @SVJack - this is a bit of a watershed moment for Cooper...he has 100% talked about positive attacking football and imposing our game on the opposition (or at least trying) - and to be fair everything we have seen so far has backed it up.
    Derby is one of those high profile away games against a promotion favourite where a lot might revert back to their "shell" - Lets see what team he selects and how we set up. More excited for Saturdays game than I have been for some time!
    SeaJack
  • SVJack said:
    We need to attack them. No overly defensive stuff. No sitting back. I'd rather us lose having a go, than us lose merely sitting back. Of course I expect a win!

That's the way I like to see us play, attack them with all we have got, go flat out 100% and if we could win by 4-5 I'd much prefer that to sitting back.
  • Hull: a team that we were expected to beat especially after the win against Atalanta and almost lost to in spectacular style with an early conceded goal. However we battled hard and won but only just.
    Derby: a different animal where a lot would expect us to lose against them. A tricky result to predict but a game I’m excited to see nonetheless. Let’s just say my heart is telling me a win is in the air but my head errs on the side of predicting a draw. I’m going with my heart on this one, 1-2.
  • Hull are a team that we dont have a good record against, and didnt last year, so saying we were expected to win is a stretch. We naturally expect us to win, but most pundits had it as a score draw.

We controlled the game, and after conceding a poor goal goal early on came back and won, and should have scored 1/2 more goals, but we created more genuine opportunities and had 19 shots on goal.

Its a debatable point imo opinion, whether Derby are better than Hull. Tom Lawrence was excellent but the rest of the team wasnt extrordinary. No one knows at this point who are the truely strong teams, but Im happy to go along with your forecast, for me I have it as a 1-3 win, but I really dont know how we will play away from home.

Id be happy with 0-1.
    SeaJack
  • I'll stick with 2-3 but would be happy if we got a draw.
  • Hull was a tough ask - result could easily have been 1-2 !
    Derby again a tough one , maybe more so ! Cannot see us retaining our 100% pre season start !
    Result 2-1 loss !
  • If we setup with attacking intent - I expect this game to have thrills, spills and goals.. Blending in our new players will be tricky in this environment - I predict a good performance but a 3-2 defeat.
  • Press conference should be today lets see who is fit.
  • Coopers press conference lasted 13. Gareth Vincent who I understand was the sole person asking questions only asked about players for the game after 9 or so. First 9 solely about the transfer window! (might be wrong with my times but that's what it felt like)
  • It was short, seemed positive enough, and excited about the game with derby.
  • No disagreement there @rob_h but made me laugh that when SC said along the lines of 'that's right we have a game on the weekend'
  • Thank goodness only about 90m until the transfer windows closes, at least thats one hurdle over.
    rob_h
  • SVJack said:
    Coopers press conference lasted 13. Gareth Vincent who I understand was the sole person asking questions only asked about players for the game after 9 or so. First 9 solely about the transfer window! (might be wrong with my times but that's what it felt like)
    Gareth Vincent doesn't care about the football he's only there for drama. Potter used to get visibly pissed off with his leading questions and shit-stirring in pressers last season.
  • jasper_T said:
    ...or Garrick. Injuries perhaps?
    Jordon said he's back in training but it's with the u23s. Missed his chance to establish himself in first team training squad for now.
    I was wrong about this. He's in the first team training photos today. Deserves to be there given how he started preseason, but there's a lot more bodies between him and senior minutes than there were a few weeks ago.
  • SVJack said:
    No disagreement there @rob_h but made me laugh that when SC said along the lines of 'that's right we have a game on the weekend'

It was funny, mostly all transfer talk, I was forgetting about the game at that point too .
  • Some match facts:

• Derby are unbeaten in their last four league matches against Swansea City (W2 D2 L0) since losing 1-0 in February 2010.
    • Swansea have won on one of their last seven away league visits to Derby (W1 D2 L4), winning 1-0 in February 2010 under Paulo Sousa.
    • In the last three seasons, the team Derby has faced in their first home league match of the season has gone on to finish in the top three of the division - Brighton in 2016-17 (2nd), Wolves in 2017-18 (1st) and Leeds in 2018-19 (3rd).
    • Swansea have only won one of their previous 10 away games in the Championship (D2 L7), with that lone victory coming against relegated side Ipswich in April (1-0).
    • Derby's Tom Lawrence scored twice from outside the box in the 2-1 win over Huddersfield - as many goals as he managed from outside the box in the Championship last season in 57 attempts.
  • edited August 9
    Going for a 1-3 win for us tomorrow, feeling more confident now David (Leeds will win every match) Prutton has us down to lose.

Normal Service is Resumed!
    SeaJack