Football betting site Betway

Birch interview

on Talkshite with Shouty Jim White - scroll 5 minutes in, talking about Bolton, Bury and a tiny bit about the Swans.

https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1565686800/1565688600/

Comments

• He comes across exactly the way he has been with us, someone who knows what he is talking about.
    rob_h
  •  Best appointment made by our owners, honest, approachable and tells it like it is
    Football is like any other business, Bristol Rovers are hemorrhaging £250k a month, owners are footing this bill yet still get slagged, who in their right mind would want to buy a football club?
    SpringheeledJack
  • Anyone else thinking they've taken the right approach? All things considered? 

If it was your house, woyld u spend soend spend if the bills were going up?

(Just talking about that point....NOT the initial purchase and subsequent aftermath)
  • PaulT said:
    Anyone else thinking they've taken the right approach? All things considered? 

If it was your house, woyld u spend soend spend if the bills were going up?

(Just talking about that point....NOT the initial purchase and subsequent aftermath)
    I think they are taking the sustainable approach, we, the fans have to take the medicine.
  • It feels like a step back to the way we used to run the club, across many areas. That is very welcome. Still some way to go though as it’s the consistency over a period of years which will grow the club.

The problem is we haven’t lost all the PL money yet and we have to find a way to afford the academy without that money. It is likely to entail 2 players being sold per year, to fund the academy and depending on the players give us a small transfer budget.

It would make sense to sell in January and buy in the early Summer, but that will entail us being very smart in the transfer market.
  • It feels like a step back to the way we used to run the club, across many areas. That is very welcome. Still some way to go though as it’s the consistency over a period of years which will grow the club.

The problem is we haven’t lost all the PL money yet and we have to find a way to afford the academy without that money. It is likely to entail 2 players being sold per year, to fund the academy and depending on the players give us a small transfer budget.

It would make sense to sell in January and buy in the early Summer, but that will entail us being very smart in the transfer market.
    And keeping Trevor Birch 
    No doubt Andy Scott will be a useful addition too
    SpringheeledJack
  • Birch leaves, we are in BIG trouble. He's definitely the most important person at the football club right now.
    SpringheeledJack
  • Hopefully we have all of this season nd most of next season at least
  • Hopefully we have all of this season nd most of next season at least
    I hope 5 years minimum. I think he could do something quite special based on his actions so far.
    Jackareme
  • He does seem to like it here, if we could get him for 5 years, it would be a h3ll of an achievement.

We do need to keep a manager for more than one year as well. The more consistency we have for a while the stronger we will be.
  • Don’t forget he’s on a 1% share deal PA up to a maximum of 4%
    Trust ain’t happy because they get diluted but I think it’s a price they have to accept
  • Dilution to about 20.3% at maximum 4%.

Not sure how the shares are being made available, is it new shares being issued? Not sure how the company is managing that without offering shares to existing shareholders first.
  • In the short to medium term the only thing that will disillusion Birch is his relationship with our owners. It was great news for the academy as well as the football club at the end of last season when Birch announced that funding would be ongoing for another season, but with the drop in parachute payments(should we not get promoted next May), what part will that play in persuading our owners to possibly downgrade the academy, and possibly against Birch's wishes. 
    After witnessing more youngsters from the U23's being included into the first team this week there is no guarantee that they will progress as Dan, Connor or Rodon have done but hopefully, as the season progresses the positive signs from Cooper and his first team will continue.
  • As someone  who have watched the different  age groups over the years you must be chuffed to see so many now making a living  playing football ,

Of the next group do you see  Garrick , Evan's,  Cooper or Cullen progressing  to the first team ?
  • In the short to medium term the only thing that will disillusion Birch is his relationship with our owners. It was great news for the academy as well as the football club at the end of last season when Birch announced that funding would be ongoing for another season, but with the drop in parachute payments(should we not get promoted next May), what part will that play in persuading our owners to possibly downgrade the academy, and possibly against Birch's wishes. 
    After witnessing more youngsters from the U23's being included into the first team this week there is no guarantee that they will progress as Dan, Connor or Rodon have done but hopefully, as the season progresses the positive signs from Cooper and his first team will continue.
    Downgrading the academy category would be far from the end of the world. The status is already worth less than it was with no more Checkatrade fixtures and players progressing to the first team setup sooner than in years gone by. You can do a lot with the facilities we have, Cat Two and the PDL. It may well turn out that with less players being bought in for hundreds of thousands of pounds each year that's more our level than PL2 anyway. Time will tell.

We produced good players before Cat One and will continue to produce them with or without it going forward. The biggest impediment was the Premier League not allowing talented local (and not so local) lads opportunities to play and advance.
  • jasper_T said:
    In the short to medium term the only thing that will disillusion Birch is his relationship with our owners. It was great news for the academy as well as the football club at the end of last season when Birch announced that funding would be ongoing for another season, but with the drop in parachute payments(should we not get promoted next May), what part will that play in persuading our owners to possibly downgrade the academy, and possibly against Birch's wishes. 
    Downgrading the academy category would be far from the end of the world. The status is already worth less than it was with no more Checkatrade fixtures and players progressing to the first team setup sooner than in years gone by. You can do a lot with the facilities we have, Cat Two and the PDL. It may well turn out that with less players being bought in for hundreds of thousands of pounds each year that's more our level than PL2 anyway. Time will tell.

We produced good players before Cat One and will continue to produce them with or without it going forward. The biggest impediment was the Premier League not allowing talented local (and not so local) lads opportunities to play and advance.
    I read last week that yet another 16 year old kid has graduated from Newport County’s academy(Jay Williams) to another club, Fulham in this case. I appreciate we can’t sign them all but Fulham have a pretty good academy and all I hope is that we either have an equally good c/back coming though the 15’s or we felt he wasn’t good enough.
     I am not 100% certain but he could have played in the Merthyr youth team against our U19’s in the FAW Youth Cup this season.
    Jay’s dad is the Merthyr player manager Gavin Williams.

• Pretty impressive  playing for the u 18s , when only 15 ,

See how he develops  over the next 2 to 3 years ,
  • Scott Butler's supposed to be alright as well. It's all still a guessing game at that age (imo, some people definitely disagree. Can spot the stars at 12 they say).
  • Jac said:
    Don’t forget he’s on a 1% share deal PA up to a maximum of 4%
    Trust ain’t happy because they get diluted but I think it’s a price they have to accept
    Not unless the give some of there shares, had the trust agreed to this.
  • jasper_T said:
    Kai Ludvigsen, mate.
    Good to hear. I have been told Morgan Clark isn't a bad midfielder either
  • Gingergit said:
    Jac said:
    The Trust opposed it, not the appointment but the package but as a 21% shareholder, there was little they could do about this, it’s why the owners were keen to get 75.1% and the old owners keen to not allow the Trust to gain 25.1%, 
  • Then lets get the trust to raise £4m within the next 2 years and buy the shares from Trevor, that would take the trust to almost 25%.
  • Haven't watched much of the U23s but Jones-Thomas seems always to impress me.
  • barry said:
    Haven't watched much of the U23s but Jones-Thomas seems always to impress me.
    Stood out technically whenever I watched the u18s (not often tbf) and settled in to u23s football very quickly. Against Everton at the Liberty he was a marked man given the sort of rough treatment DJ used to get (and they succeeded in injuring him). Got a fair bit of pace on him but more than that worked out how to use it to good effect against much bigger, stronger players. 

Very encouraging imo.
    barry
  • Jac said:
    Gingergit said:
    Jac said:
    The Trust opposed it, not the appointment but the package but as a 21% shareholder, there was little they could do about this, it’s why the owners were keen to get 75.1% and the old owners keen to not allow the Trust to gain 25.1%, 
    If they make a share option can the trust buy more, can someone tell me how it works?