Football betting site Betway

Match Discussion: Swans v Preston North End - Championship 2019/20

edited August 18 in Swansea City
This is the place to discuss all things related to the Swans v Preston North End Championship game on Saturday 17 August 2019 at 3:00pm.

Referee Dean Whitestone will be assisted by Mark Russell and Mark Jones, with Richard Hulme the 4th Official for the game.

Take a look at the Swans v Preston North End Head to Head Stats.

Share your pre and post match thoughts, views on Steve Cooper's pre or post match comments, team selection and don't forget to submit your score prediction for our Swansea City Prediction League.

Comments

• Woodman

Roberts
    VDH
    Rodon
    Bidwell

Fulton
    Grimes

Dyer
    Routs

Ayew
    Baston

SUBS Nordfeldt, Naughts, Wilmot, Kalulu, Byers, Celina, Surridge

PL level front four there.
    rob_h
  • We got relegated handily playing a front four of Dyer, Routs and two Ayews so technically accurate but nothing to crow about.
  • Roberts vdH Woodman Rodon Bidwell
    Dyer Fulton Byers Grimes Kalulu
    Borja
  • if AA is picked, it will be on the bench, with another cameo off the bench while he builds match fitness.

Does create a big problem for SC though. Borja deserves to keep the shirt. but can he have AA and Surridge on the bench. Who looses out from the widemen options if he does?
  • if AA is picked, it will be on the bench, with another cameo off the bench while he builds match fitness.

Does create a big problem for SC though. Borja deserves to keep the shirt. but can he have AA and Surridge on the bench. Who looses out from the widemen options if he does?
    What has Surridge done to demand a place on the bench?
    azzuriswan
  • You are right Jasper. Either he is too weak or he was playing for the whistle . Showed little pace last night. A bit like our flying winger Barry...
  • I wouldn’t start practicing your Borja Baston songs just yet. 
    This taken from a site today:

Baston is keen on the move too, with it explained that he doesn’t want to stay in Wales but hasn’t received any offers from La Liga sides, and so Rayo Vallecano is the ‘most desirable’ move for him.
  • I do believe that his girlfriend is from Madrid so wanting to move to Rayo would be the "most desirable".
  • J4cka said:
    I wouldn’t start practicing your Borja Baston songs just yet. 
    This taken from a site today:

Baston is keen on the move too, with it explained that he doesn’t want to stay in Wales but hasn’t received any offers from La Liga sides, and so Rayo Vallecano is the ‘most desirable’ move for him.

A few more games with goals under his belt, may change his mind.
  • edited August 14

E

A name that has come to light and that has been negotiating for days is Borja Bastón , who after his transfer to Deportivo Alavés has returned to Swansea City . The player does not want to continue in the Welsh team and seeks a return to Spain, but without First offers the Rayo Vallecano option has remained the most desirable of all.

https://www.elgoldigital.com/borja-baston-recibe-ayuda-extra-del-betis-para-golear-en-el-rayo-vallecano/

• I will go with:

Woodman

Roberts VDH Rodon Bidwell

Fulton Grimes

Dyer Celina Routledge

Baston

SUBS Mulder , Naughton, Wilmot, Kalulu, Byers, Surridge. Ayew 
    SpringheeledJack
  • edited August 14
    AA is still more likely to leave us by 2 September, but perhaps Borja is now less likely. If the opportunity is there and the deal is reasonable, then one or both will be gone.

If one goes and the more likely is AA, then at least we have options up front. In any case we will need Sam Surridge to be up to game pace, and to do that he needs game time. He hasn’t really shown us what he is capable of yet, but we need him ready to lead the line post the Leeds match, just in case.

If Borja continues to start the next couple of matches, then it starts to tell us he is becoming more likely to stay, otherwise we could be a little threadbare up front post 2 September.
  • @rob_h Yes that would be my starting team at the moment, depending on whether Aldo Kalulu is fit. Hopefully Peterson will start to show soon so he might be there instead if Kalulu isn’t fit 
    rob_h
  • Preston have started to play a possession based game but still tend to play long about twice as much as we do, They play either a 4231 or a 4141, although the later has tended to be more successful for them. They do like keep the ball in midfield and to attack down their left.

So we will need Connor and Nathan to tight on Saturday. We have allowed teams to make more progress down the wings in our opening matches, that might cause us problems if we don’t tighten up. 

We tend to be be more balanced in our attacks down both wings, and if we can press their left sided midfielder into defending more it might cut down their attacking options dramatically and put them into a defensive mindset early on.

I am a little worried about being overrun in the middle of the park especially if they play a 4141. We will need both fullbacks pushed up into midfield most of the time but on the plus side there might be gaps between their midfielders and fullbacks for us to exploit.

If we press hard their defenders aren’t skilled at playing out so they will play long, hoping to get the second ball. If we have enough in midfield we should be able to compete and recycle to play our passing game.

It won’t be easy on Saturday as they are coming off the back of two big wins and two clean sheets. If we can get 3 points on Saturday, it will be well earned and will be a good indication for the following two matches against QPR and Brum.
    rob_hJackareme
  • Two wins, two clean sheets, seven goals scored. It would be a good scalp if we could get a win out of it, sounds like another difficult one.
    SpringheeledJack
  • Definitely one where we need to score first, they will be a tough nut to crack if we let them score first.

If we do score first, the game will open up which should suit us as long as we control the ball.
    rob_h
  • rob_h said:
    Two wins, two clean sheets, seven goals scored. It would be a good scalp if we could get a win out of it, sounds like another difficult one.
    Hi rob h , they lost their  first game of the season away at Millwall  1 nil , 
    They gave us a tough game  last season  , action packed game  , Nordfeldt  injured  , Ollie  missed a Pen ,
    Jay scored with a header , 
    rob_h
  • jasper_T said:
    We got relegated handily playing a front four of Dyer, Routs and two Ayews so technically accurate but nothing to crow about.
    Albeit we are playing at markedly different level now....those players named should dominate most teams
  • I'll go same team at @rob_h but Kalulu instead of Routs. Need to ensure width against Preston. Routs habit of thinking he's a central striker means he'd make a good bench impact. Would also have Peterson on bench. So bench would be same as Robs but Routs on there and Peterson instead of Surridge
    rob_h
  • I think George Byers and Declan John deserve to be picked after their performances on Tuesday. And Jordan Garrick deserves to be promoted to the bench.
    YJB07
  • I imagine George will be on the bench, as he will need a break. I can see him being used in midfield away from home on Tuesday, as he may help the midfield to be rock solid.

Declan I can see being introduced if we are already 2 up, to push for more goals, but not sure he would be risked from the start.
  • If he were to start I think Declan should do so at home where he would (hopefully) be under less pressure defensively. 
  • Jackareme said:
    If he were to start I think Declan should do so at home where he would (hopefully) be under less pressure defensively. 
    :+1:
  • Need to keep a clear head regarding one performance against a struggling Lge 2 and a Ch’ship team capable of exploiting weaknesses in a team.
    If we were struggling for wide midfielders, yes, give Declan a run, but at the moment his only role could be as a sub with 25 minutes to go where there are spaces on the field and legs are tired.
    Until then carry on doing what we have started in Ch’ship matches.
    SpringheeledJack
  • Declan has more pace than Bidwell and is slightly the better passer, but Bidwell is a better defender and still gets forward and produces excellent crosses. Our second goal against Hull was a direct result of his cross.

Im not sure SC will want to tinker at this stage with a defence than has only conceded 1 goal in two matches. Declan offers a good alternative, but I can’t see him starting yet.
  • One area we will need to be careful about is giving away free kicks within shooting distance. Gallagher, the Preston midfielder, is excellent at direct free kicks and they are smart about making sure he has room to get a shot off.

If we give away two such free kicks, it’s a fair bet he will score one.
  • Need to keep a clear head regarding one performance against a struggling Lge 2 and a Ch’ship team capable of exploiting weaknesses in a team.
    If we were struggling for wide midfielders, yes, give Declan a run, but at the moment his only role could be as a sub with 25 minutes to go where there are spaces on the field and legs are tired.
    Until then carry on doing what we have started in Ch’ship matches.
    Colin -
    Declan has been good the last 3 times that I have seen him, so my comment is not just based on one match. Yes , he is weaker defensively but he's stronger going forward, so it all depends on one's approach to the match.
    I would pick him but Cooper will take the safer, steadier approach and pick Bidwell.

• At 1:30 today, here’s hoping we get at least 50% of the time on the Preston match, rather than being crowded out with questions about transfers.

https://www.swanseacity.com/news/watch-live-coopers-press-conference
  • With regards to Declan John - it is interesting to see the development of the boy in the face of a wall of "characters" on this Site that wrote him off and said that he was useless.
    Yes he has things to work on for sure, but with his sort of gas and tidy technique there is certainly a player in there, and he provides us with some very good options should we need to change a game.
    Great to see his hard work paying off well done Declan YJB!!
    SpringheeledJackSVJack
  • I would certainly be one in the eye for Stevie “the slip” Gerrard, who obviously didn’t rate him.