Football betting site Betway

Match Discussion: Swans v Preston North End - Championship 2019/20

Comments

• In the past I’d have said there’s no way they wouldn’t have sold the both of them. 
    But, I get a feeling, that since they’ve brought in Birch to actually run the club, things have changed. 
    But one of them has to go financially. 
  • Poor first goal we let in today, but Woodman almost saved the penalty. He’s got good instincts and obviously is briefed well for penalties.

Our set piece defence has improved, but our open play defence seems to have gone backwards. We have still got lots to work on.
  • Anyone see these 3 or 4 golden opportunities?
    "We had three or four golden opportunities that we didn't take”
    Alex Neil PNE manager 
  • J4cka said:
    Anyone see these 3 or 4 golden opportunities?
    Alex Neil PNE manager 
    Had a couple in the first half IIRC.

Free header just a few yards out that went str8 to Woody right at the end.
  • Very poor finishing by PNE at times in the first half time stood still as they rolled the ball around inside our 18 yard box. We were horrible defensively - although as mentioned above we seem to have got a grip on our set piece defending!
  • barry said:
    3-2 FT Tense finish. PNE put a free header from 6 yards into Woodman's arsm with the last move of the game.

Great game in the end.

MOTM Borja. 2 great finishes. VDH not far behind. Ayew didn't put a foot wrong.
    agreed. plus special mention for George Byas who was exceptional when he came on. linked brilliantly with AA and BB.

Added to that the tweak to the formation, going to a diamond after HT was a gamechanger.
  • barry said:
    J4cka said:
    Alex Neil PNE manager 
    Had a couple in the first half IIRC.

Free header just a few yards out that went str8 to Woody right at the end.
    From memory they looped one header over the bar from close range that landed on the roof of the net, and one of their players sliced a good pullback well well wide from maybe 10 yards or so. They let us off very easy a few times. A lot of touches in our box.

From open play we defended much better under Potter. Today we were always open on whichever flank Kalulu was on, and for me Fulton makes good tackles but is very dodgy when it comes to tracking runners and covering spaces. No question he's stepped up his game from last season, but he's still something of a liability especially as he doesn't show for the ball much, making it harder for us to play out and rack up those possession percentages. As Brendan Rodgers always said, our first line of defence is having the ball.
    Pablo
  • On another point I thought Ben Pearson was excellent for them yesterday (number 4). Albeit we give him space but everything went through him for them
    Arch_Stanton
  • I’ll be interested to see the game again today or whenever they issue it on the website.

We seem to lose our defensive shape during open play, from what appears to be as a result of the way we press, and when we got the ball we dont seem confident to pass the ball consistently. Our inside wing channel near the box was again wide open and we dont close down players to stop the shots. We cant keep on allowing teams this many opportunities or someone will slaughter us

We allowed them to control the midfield and they pressed well, but mostly the same players last season would have passed around them and kept the ball.

49% possession at home isnt really good enough. Preston made about 70 more passes than Hull but we made 200 less than the game against Hull. 

Yet, we created some lovely goals and won. It felt like the opposite of last year, where we often had the performance but no result. I think for a few weeks we need to go back to the players who played well last season and where here for preseason (except Bidwell who was here for preseason and was yet again a 7). That way we can give the new players enough time to getused to the way of playing gradually.

Byers needs to start and so does Routs.
  • J4cka said:
    Alex Neil PNE manager 
    We could have had no complaints had we been 3-0 down half time. 

The injury time goal from Baston was a complete game changer, totally against the run of play. 
  • I’ll be interested to see the game again today or whenever they issue it on the website.

We seem to lose our defensive shape during open play, from what appears to be as a result of the way we press, and when we got the ball we dont seem confident to pass the ball consistently. Our inside wing channel near the box was again wide open and we dont close down players to stop the shots. We cant keep on allowing teams this many opportunities or someone will slaughter us

We allowed them to control the midfield and they pressed well, but mostly the same players last season would have passed around them and kept the ball.

49% possession at home isnt really good enough. Preston made about 70 more passes than Hull but we made 200 less than the game against Hull. 

Yet, we created some lovely goals and won. It felt like the opposite of last year, where we often had the performance but no result. I think for a few weeks we need to go back to the players who played well last season and where here for preseason (except Bidwell who was here for preseason and was yet again a 7). That way we can give the new players enough time to getused to the way of playing gradually.

Byers needs to start and so does Routs.
    Joe Rodon was the biggest problem defensively yesterday probably the worst game he's had for us
    barryjasper_T
  • @chatz your not wrong there. I know when we were all going through the 'Ryan Woods' saga I named Ben Pearson as a potential alternative. Brilliant player
  • I agree with the Ben Pearson comment.
    i didn’t actually know who he was before the gave but said to my mate that he was running the game first half.
  • Jeremy said:
    Ayew/Baston can perform in this league at a canter !
    Cannot see them being here beyond the Euro window !
    In which case draws and losses abound - with them top 6 without them bottom 6 !
    bottom six without them? I don't think so. It might damage promotion but that is a stretch too far. even without an out and out striker we'll be alright. We have scorers in midfield now, and ability throughout the team
  • The jury’s still out on the newcomers but personally I would stick with the the pre-season team minus the obvious departure of McBurnie. They have gelled more than the newcomers have managed so far and we need that stability on the pitch. I wouldn’t start with Kalulu for one. A sub from the bench would be my decision until he gets up to speed. According to the BBC Radio Wales commentary he was the one that appeared to be all at sea in a game where there were no first half heroes.
  • It was disappointing that we only had 15k there again yesterday. That £2m lost income (I’d it keeps up over the season) would be handy in keeping the academy running. 
  • You could argue that some fans are not willing to put their hard earned cash into the club if the owners are not willing too as well . Works both ways ....
    garythenotrashcougar
  • Kalulu. I know it’s very early doors, but he seemed like a liability at times yesterday. 
    We improved immensely, when he went off, and we changed our shape in midfield, with Byers making the difference, linking the midfield, going forward. 
    Some players hit the floor running, others take time adapting to a different type of football, plus a different culture. 
    It will be interesting to see how long it takes Kalulu to adapt. 
    Heres a classic example of how not to do it~~>

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7368499/Renato-Sanches-demands-Bayern-Munich-let-lack-game-time.html

• bobby1983 said:
    Joe Rodon was the biggest problem defensively yesterday probably the worst game he's had for us
    A young player, learning the game, is always going to make mistakes. But he was not the only one. Nearly every player made mistakes in the first half. But seems some have singled Joe out so much, and given him abuse on twitter, he has deleted his account.
    barryJackareme
  • Kalulu has been thrown in with no pre-season and taken the place of others who are more used to the way we play. I also think he should be coming on as a sub and this way he will gradually improve. 

For defence Naughton is the better between him and Connor, although connor does improve our attack. Bidwell is exactly as the qpr fans said: he's sold, dependable, likes to get up and help with attacks, but he goes in too hard and gives away fouls, and although very good defensively, makes some errors that will lead to goals. Saying all that, it was great assist from Bidwell For the winning goal so he does have that.

The main one I don't understand is Routledge, he did very well in pre-season but wasn't even on the bench. Copper has said he wasn't injured so I don't understand this one. I'd pick him as first choice every game, and at least have him on the bench.

We are too disjointed with the team selections at the moment, we need more regulars who know exactly what they are doing.

• edited August 18
    A young player, learning the game, is always going to make mistakes. But he was not the only one. Nearly every player made mistakes in the first half. But seems some have singled Joe out so much, and given him abuse on twitter, he has deleted his account. 
    Some of our fans can go too far and try and make a scapegoat. It wasn't just him who was bad the first half.
    barry
  • Yes lets get the style back from last season and pre season , by having the players on the pitch who are familiar with the style and each other, then gradually integrate the new players.

You cant expect the new players who are six weeks behind and unfamiliar to just automatically fit in, its not giving them the best opportunity.

If we get it right we will be formidible if we keep playing like the first half.....not so much.

Can we get SC to give the half time team talk before the start of the match, perhaps!
  • bobby1983 said:
    Although his distribution was poor first half he was solid defensively - which is his main job.
  • bobby1983 said:
    I would never give him abuse and its shocking if it's true. I'm just stating he had a poor game, he over run the ball and passing was sloppy which put us in trouble a few times.
    He's a much better player than what he was yesterday.
    Every player has a bad game and I'm just starting he had a bad game I'm not abusing him and in fairness 2nd half he improved. 
  • edited August 18

Can we get SC to give the half time team talk before the start of the match, perhaps!
    I think that's a good idea, SC should give the players recordings of some of his half time team talks to listen to over and over, just hours before a game to boost them up - they definitely need something to get them going.
    SpringheeledJack
  • bobby1983 said:
    I would never give him abuse and its shocking if it's true. I'm just stating he had a poor game, he over run the ball and passing was sloppy which put us in trouble a few times.
    Every player has a bad game and I'm just starting he had a bad game I'm not abusing him and in fairness 2nd half he improved. 

Footballers should stay away from social media when they've had a bad game, sadly it does come with the territory. I hope it doesn't affect his performances.
  • Cadleigh said:
    It was disappointing that we only had 15k there again yesterday. That £2m lost income (I’d it keeps up over the season) would be handy in keeping the academy running. 
    Maybe our owners who have billions between them could foot the bill. Perhaps Oaktree could sponsor the training ground, Man City style.

There are ways and means around this without putting it all on the supporters to bear the strain.
    enaitchPablo
  • rob_h said:
    bobby1983 said:

Footballers should stay away from social media when they've had a bad game, sadly it does come with the territory. I hope it doesn't affect his performances.
    If i was him it would drive me on to prove all the dicks giving him abuse wrong, he had a poor game he needs to forget about it and move on.
    We all know he's a much better player than he showed yesterday, he's young and still learning the game.
    rob_h
  • Joe was a victim of their tactical approach. They pressed high, made sure Grimes and vdH couldn't get on the ball, and left Joe to play out with only Bidwell and Fulton to hit without going long. 

Made mistakes but was far more involved than vdH. "Fans" hate visible errors and Joe had more of the ball than anyone for us in the first half.
    rob_hJackaremebarry