Asoro

Gone on loan to FC Groningen. Good move for all parties involved imo.

Comments

• Be lucky if they're covering half his wages. But definitely a good move and better for everyone than if he'd gone to an EFL side.

Started 4 of the first 5 games under Potter, 12 months on he's probably 7th choice winger at the club. If we don't include John and Roberts.
  • I just found out FC Groningen have an option to buy Asoro at the end of the loan.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/former-sunderland-youngster-joel-asoro-16763134

• rob_h said:
    I just found out FC Groningen have an option to buy Asoro at the end of the loan.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/former-sunderland-youngster-joel-asoro-16763134

Confirmed on their website if google's translation is to believed.

"Joel Asoro is an attacker who can manage as an offside player and as a striker" Nailed it.
  • not as offside as some strikers weve had
  • Seems we have given up on him as Gronigen have an option to buy in the loan. If this was to aid his development there would be no buy option
  • I think he could become a real good talent in the future, I don't understand why the club have given up on him, a loan spell could have really helped his development. 
  • Time waits for no man in football.

If you've been successful and lose form, you're often indulged.

But if you fail to grasp opportunities - and Asoro has had plenty - then you are destined to a career of unfulfillment. 

He had plenty of chances last season and let's be honest the bar was hardly high down that right hand side of the pitch. The fact an aging Dyer and Routledge were selected ahead of him speaks volumes. 
  • Please let Mckay be the next one. 
  • And I would be worried if I was Graham  Potter.
     It was his assistant head of recruitment, Kyle Macaulay, who  “scouted”  Asoro & McKay. 
  • J4cka said:
    And I would be worried if I was Graham  Potter.
     It was his assistant head of recruitment, Kyle Macaulay, who  “scouted”  Asoro & McKay. 
    They already sent the lad they were scouting in their last few days of employment with us out on loan after buying him. 

Looked alright though, to be fair. Not a patch on our Joe but who is?
    huwrichards57
  • It didn’t take Cooper long to realise, what we all knew.
    Asoro wasn’t that very good. 
  • If Asoro has a buy option I can only fathom it's less than the 2mn or so we paid. Still think there's a good player in there, he's only young of course but with Peterson and Kalulu and the emergence of Garrick and the Indian summers of Routs and Dyer, Asoro will probably leave
    Jackareme
  • I wonder if he threw his toys out of the pram a little bit when he could see he wasn't going to get much gametime here ? Cooper obviously doesn't fancy him in our set up hence the recent additions 
  • His problem I suspect is "attitude"
    and just because of that given he does have "something"
    he will fall by the wayside !
    A potentially very good player who unlike DJames is just not grounded !
    A Potter pick , along with McKay  - maybe Mr Potter is not so good or his recruitment guy is not so good at recognising 'character' along with potential 
    Maybe ,just maybe , Cooper is more skilled in that aspect !

• Jeremy said:
    His problem I suspect is "attitude"
    and just because of that given he does have "something"
    he will fall by the wayside !
    A potentially very good player who unlike DJames is just not grounded !
    A Potter pick , along with McKay  - maybe Mr Potter is not so good or his recruitment guy is not so good at recognising 'character' along with potential 
    Maybe ,just maybe , Cooper is more skilled in that aspect !

• edited August 2019
    Just as an aside here.....is it possible that Cooper has raised the possibility that he would like to keep Ayew and Borja to have a crack at promotion but has been told he needs to therefore free up some wages to cover some of their wages? Asoro and Baker-Richardson. ? More to follow. May be we’ll run a bit leaner? Quality over quantity? Just throwing it out there. Surridge i believe has been brought in as a just in case if we get an offer too good to turn down for our high wage earners from Europe. 
  • I don't think we need to look for additional justifications for why two players who have never looked quite up to it in a Swansea City shirt should be moved on after a period of reinforcement. Players come in, players go out. Only so many games to go around and football is a business and a career.

Asoro always looked more lost than lazy to me, I'm not sure there's an attitude problem beyond a lack of talent for the game at this level. You wonder what they teach these kids at Sunderland when all our u23s show a better understanding of how and when to close down than Joel did last season. And his one on one play never impressed outside an early preseason friendly.

Best of luck to him. Fingers crossed he has a better time than Kenji.

A poor buy at a time when we were absolutely skint and had a wonderkid worrying that he'd have to go on loan to League Two. I said at the time it was silly. Same again next summer with Peterson and Garrick?
  • J4cka said:
    Please let Mckay be the next one. 
    I'll second that

• Barmyjack said:
    J4cka said:
    I'll second that

We are looking for a league one club is the answer to that
  • I thought McKay had a reasonable match on Tuesday, if Sam Surridge’s run in the first half had been across the last defender instead of to the far post, He would have put Mckays cross into an open goal.
  • And that’s his trouble in a nutshell. He Just shows the odd bit of skill, when he feels like it, and has zero bottle. 
    As you might of guessed.......I’m not his greatest fan. 
    The same was said about him previously, on Forest and Rangers forums. 

By the way Jacktar, have you heard something??
  • Let's be honest neither Asoro or McKay have proven themselves to be adequate replacements for Dyer & Routs. On that basis we have had to move on. Best of luck to them both in their careers but I think we are now better off looking elsewhere for our next generation of wide players.
  • This is the mindset you need, if you want to progress your career as a professional footballer. 
    Good on you fella!
    https://www.swanseacity.com/news/debut-worth-wait-kees-de-boer
  • J4cka said:
    And that’s his trouble in a nutshell. He Just shows the odd bit of skill, when he feels like it, and has zero bottle. 
    As you might of guessed.......I’m not his greatest fan. 
    The same was said about him previously, on Forest and Rangers forums. 

By the way Jacktar, have you heard something??
    Yes
  • @j4cka Most of our current players have some weakness, indeed most players do. What I wouldn’t give for a Ferrie in the midfield. However if we had one he wouldnt probably spend much time on the field, with today’s tackle laws.

I do find it frustrating, Jay has bottle, but not enough skill, McKay is skilful but no bottle, and A few similar comments about Celina. GPs skill last season was getting the blend right, but it took him time.

I used to enjoy the tackle but when I played part of some teams we had players who were potentially more creative than me, but would hide after the first tackle. At all levels if you’ve played, Im sure you have run across them. 

At times part of my job we to do some of their tackle work and look after them, to give them to confidence to damage the opposition with their creative skills.

So SC needs to find the right blend and then flex in players like McKay, Garrick, Ayew and John to change the dynamic of the game and gradually build 22 players who can slot in comfortably, but also offer different attributes at different times and in different matches.
  • Pablo Hernandez didn’t have bottle but bags of skill
  • J4cka said:
    ????
  • J4cka said:
    ????
     :+1: 
  • Jacktar. Hope ur right.  :+1: