Football betting site Betway

Harries makes Fortuna Sittard loan move

Swansea City defender Cian Harries has joined Fortuna Sittard on a season-long loan, subject to international clearance.

The 22-year-old centre-back links up with Eredivisie side after completing his medical, with Fortuna having finished 15th in the Dutch top-flight last season.

Harries joined the Swans on a three-year deal from Coventry City in July 2017, having made 16 first-team appearances for the Sky Blues the previous campaign.

He made his Swans senior debut in the Carabao Cup defeat to Crystal Palace in August 2018, before making his first league appearance against Aston Villa two months later.

He also appeared three times during the club's run to the FA Cup quarter-finals, including a substitute appearance in the narrow last-eight defeat against Manchester City.

Everyone at Swansea City wishes Cian all the best during his spell in Holland.

Taken from the Swans Official Site - https://www.swanseacity.com/news/cian-harries-makes-fortuna-sittard-loan-move

Comments

• Transfermkt say his contract is up next June
  • They say they have an option to buy on their site.
    Jackareme
  • jasper_T said:
    They say they have an option to buy on their site.
    Looking forward to see him in our shirt. Sounds like a no nonsense and physical defender to me. Just the way I like them.
    Cadleigh
  • Strange one. They say option to buy. Swans official says he signed for us in 2017 on 3 year deal, so will be out of contract next summer? not sure how that can be mis-translated.   
  • Strange one. They say option to buy. Swans official says he signed for us in 2017 on 3 year deal, so will be out of contract next summer? not sure how that can be mis-translated.   
    Aren't you allowed a development fee if we sign him on a perm next season. Maybe that's what causing the confussion?
  • edited August 27
    dont think so. development fee only applicable in transfers between clubs in the same country.
  • edited August 27
    The "option to buy" might simply involve a pre-agreed deal between the player and the clubs so that he won't become a free agent at the end of the season, and if they want him they won't have to compete for his signature. 
  • A good move for Cian, it will hopefully make him a more sophisticated CB, and improve his game management.
  • Good move. Hopefully Cian gets some good game time. Eriedivisie very technical so will improve him.
  • Came on and played half an hour against Ajax yesterday (his second appearance of the season). Scored an own goal in a 5-0 defeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo4EtPxMjlA
  • Ouch. These are the moments in your career that either make or break you. Let’s hope he’s chalked it up as a learning experience and builds from there instead of floundering.
  • great experience he is getting playing very good standard against Ajax.
    Gingergit
  • I seem to remember Rodon struggling on his loan at Cheltenham. Didn't do him any harm. As you say, Seajack, it's how he deals with it.
  • deekay said:
    I seem to remember Rodon struggling on his loan at Cheltenham. Didn't do him any harm. As you say, Seajack, it's how he deals with it.
    He did but that was Joe's first experience of senior football. Cian was getting minutes in League One with Coventry when we bought him.
  • Fortuna have a buy option at the end of the season, when his contract with us ends. He wont be with us next season.
  • jasper_T said:
    deekay said:
    I seem to remember Rodon struggling on his loan at Cheltenham. Didn't do him any harm. As you say, Seajack, it's how he deals with it.
    He did but that was Joe's first experience of senior football. Cian was getting minutes in League One with Coventry when we bought him.
    Sorry, maybe I'm a bit slow on the uptake, but I'm not sure about the point you are making there Jasper. 

I'm aware that Cian had played for Coventry's first team before joining us, but my point, was agreeing with Seajack in that how a youngster deals with adversity will influence how they move forward. The number of first team games they may have played before going on loan isn't relevant as they may not have experienced any 'bad' times with that first team. 

A good example is our present captain. Played first team football at Exeter before joining us. Hadn't really experienced any 'bad' times with us, but equally hadn't established himself and needed to go on loan. Went to Leeds and had a horrid time. It is then, faced with adversity, he got his head down, worked hard at his next loan club and then came back and has excelled. His experience at Leeds could have broken him and he'd now be back at Exeter or even out of the league. 
    Wyn
  • Potter turned around Grimes's career from a player struggling to build a career to one where he is suddenly being noticed by other clubs. Not an unusual event in football but it happens when a new manager arrives at a club. Hopefully Harries will get that opportunity to kick start his career.
  • edited September 27
    Colin
    Potter certainly played a big role in his development, but the turnaround had begun at Northampton, long before Potter came on the scene
  • Potter tried his best to make him a left back but Matt wasn't having it (the injuries to Carroll and Fer helped). 
  • edited September 28
    Started tonight with regular centre half Angha injured. Doing alright. Still 0-0 at HT.

Got the crowd excited with one clearance from his own half that ended up being a shot on target. It's a surprisingly poor standard game.

edit: Had a shocker of a second half, pulled off on 80 looking terrified to go head the ball. Dislocated a lads arm after 50 with a tactical trip. Made a mistake that put a Sparta player clear through on goal but they fluffed two cracks at it.

Horrible game. One injured Fortuna player starting a fight with another who was trying to drag him to his feet to hurry up the game a rare highlight.
  • academic. he wont be a Swansea player after his contract runs out next summer.
  • Starts in the ex-Swansea derby against Leroy Fer's Feyenoord today.
    barry
  • edited October 6
    Scored to make it 3-1 Fortuna. Scuffed little tap in off a corner but they all count. Having a good game on the left of a three. Couple of important tackles and some nice passes into midfield, which have been important as Fortuna were as you'd expect under the cosh for much of the half.

Only remembered Fer was playing when he was involved in a bit of handbags. Narsingh is on the bench, I think.

edit: Narsingh on after an hour. Caused problems with a few crosses. Fer just missed the easiest open goal tap in of all time that would have made it 4-3 with 10 left to play.