Football betting site Betway

Match Discussion: Leeds United v Swans - Championship 2019/20

edited September 2 in Swansea City
This is the place to discuss all things related to the Leeds United v Swans Championship game on Saturday, 31 August 2019 at 3:00pm.

Referee Darren Bond will be assisted by James Mainwaring and Nick Greenhalgh, with Martin Coy the 4th Official for the game.

If you are going to the game at Elland Road have a read of our Travelling Jacks Guide to Leeds United.

Share your pre and post match thoughts, views on Steve Cooper's pre or post match comments, team selection and don't forget to submit your score prediction for our Swansea City Prediction League.

Comments

• First very big match of the first 6 matches, although not according to Sky, as their big match is Bristol City v ‘Boro!

The next big Test for SC and the team, the team with the best defensive record v the top goal scorers, although Leeds do manage to a few goals score as well.

I hope the club have the travel arrangements sorted to give the team the best opportunity, as it’s a long haul up to Leeds. The weather conditions are going to be sunny and dry, so couldn’t ask for better.

I hope SC can get us focussed from the start, and two good halves, as I don’t believe there is room for us to let Leeds have a goal start! We need to sharp and on our game. 

I believe there are some weaknesses in the Leeds defence, despite their defensive record, which I hope we can exploit. We will need to close down shooting opportunities fast and hard.

At the moment I can see a 1-1, but I’m going to go for a slightly optimistic 1-2.

COYS
    rob_h
  • edited August 29
    In fairness to Sky, those matches are picked well ahead of time (games to end of Sept were chose by 26 July).

So looking at how much Bristol spent, and what we did, why would you have picked us over them at the start of the season?

The interesting thing now will be, when the next raft of matches are picked for live broadcast, how many of them will feature us?

And those games will be announced tomorrow, for period 2 Oct - 9 Nov.
  • In fairness to Sky, those matches are picked well ahead of time (games to end of Sept were chose by 26 July).

So looking at how much Bristol spent, and what we did, why would you have picked us over them at the start of the season?

The interesting thing now will be, when the next raft of matches are picked for live broadcast, how many of them will feature us?

And those games will be announced tomorrow, for period 2 Oct - 9 Nov.
    no doubt the selection of live matches was based on last season's performances, interesting to see the next round of selected live matches
  • Everyone knows Sky need to keep Leeds,Boro,Derby,Forest, Fulham, WBA, and Stoke happy by putting them on TV more than anyone else. It's actually a bad joke. The rest of the teams in the division won't get anywhere near the coverage unless they're against one of these 7.
  • The main difference, as I see, is the pace with which Leeds move the ball while attacking and their consistent pressure on the ball. Would prefer to go with 5+4+1 formation in the first half and then open up in the second.
  • I’m happy to let SC decide, I’m sure he will have a game plan, I just hope it works.
  • no doubt the selection of live matches was based on last season's performances, interesting to see the next round of selected live matches
    Not sure what criteria was used, to be honest, Colin. A bit of a mixture looking at them.

Some obvious ones in Leeds. Play the most attractive football. Just missed out on promotion, and have the biggest fan-base in the division. Featured most last season too.

The relegated and promoted sides usually get an early look in, to see how they will fare - and helps if they meet head on early - like Huddersfield and Fulham. Charlton the promoted side.

Fulham and Cardiff lined up with 2 games, as were bookies favourites at the start of the season, and West Brom also up there.

But the others just seem to be filling the contractual of ensuring that clubs have a game on the box, and how the fixtures fall. 

I expect, now we are in the top 5 in Sky's betting, to feature more prominently.

We have some attractive matches coming up in that period, most notably the Blueturds - guaranteed TV game, as only Wed/Leeds Yorkshire derby a possible, and not as big a derby as ours.

But also think these games will be possibles:
    • Charlton 
    • Stoke (but London derby Fulham/Charlton and Leeds/Millwall the same weekend)
    • Brentford, who also play attractive football, and have spent a lot of cash - but it is the same night as Millwall play Cardiff!
  • I have been thinking about how Leeds will line up on Saturday and I think there will be just on change from their last league game at Stoke with Cooper replacing Berardi.

Although Helder Costa and Eddie Nketiah are really pushing to start

So if that's the case the team will look like this

Casilla 

Dallas  White  Cooper Alioski
                       Phillips
    Hernandez  Forshaw  Klich  Harrison
                       Bamford

That's a strong team as the start to the season has shown.

What team do you think the Swans will filed to counter the above?
  • Cooper may go for the trusted 4 = 2 = 3 = 1 ,

Woodman 

Robert's,  Van de Hoorn , Rodon , Bidwell ,

Grimes ,   Fulton ,

Ayew ,             Routledge  ,            Celina  ,

Baston ,

Could easily  include  Byers , Naughton , Petersson ,  Garrick 
  • It will be interesting to see how the formation match up as Leeds do tend to have 3 in the centre of midfield in Phillips, Forshaw and Klich, which is where I think they will have the edge so maybe Byers starts instead of Routledge to match them in that area!
  • the most interesting thing will be how Coops sets the team up. I suspect he'll stick the the winning formula.

but wouldn't be surprised if he tweaks it, to give us a bit more, defensively. We have been going 4 in attack with 2 holding midfielders. 

I wonder if he'd think of going 4-1-2-3 with the flexibility of going 4-3-3
  • edited August 29
    SC will stick with a 4-2-3-1 but will adjust the tactical play to break the inside centre lines between what will inevitably become a Leeds 3-3-1-3 formation. It will be the transitions which will dictate the balance of play in this match. For that reason it is intriguing how it will turn out.
  • High press worked well against them last season. It's the approach their fans are most concerned about facing.
  • if you get the high press wrong, they will destroy you.

But our transition from defence to attack is way better than last year. So if we nick the ball from them, we will cause them all sorts of problems if we play like we have seen in the second half of many games.
  • This will sound a little strange but one of Leeds weaknesses so far in defence is in the aerial duels. For once we will have options up front, Borja is a particularly fine header of the ball, And so is Surridge.

If we can get our wing play working, with good crosses, and indeed from set pieces we can cause them problems.
  • Prutton the plank has backed us for a desmond 2-2. I'd probably take that but the way were playing at present I'm going 2-1 win. 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3. Woodman,Roberts,Vdh, Rodon, John,Grimes,Fulton,Ayew,Celina,Routs or Peterson, Borja. Yes Declan John in. His attacking play from LB adds another dimension to our game. Harsh on Bidwell.
  • I don’t believe John will start, he might make the bench. Peterson and Routs are both in contention to start imo.
  • Would be very surprised  to see John start , away from home against the joint leaders , a day for our best defenders Bidwell starts , Naughton on the bench covers both fullbacks  .

Like to see Routledge  start , maybe has a 10 with the ball , and dropping  back to midfield  without ,

Lots of attacking options  on the bench , Surridge  , Petersson  and Garrick   
  • This will sound a little strange but one of Leeds weaknesses so far in defence is in the aerial duels. For once we will have options up front, Borja is a particularly fine header of the ball, And so is Surridge.

If we can get our wing play working, with good crosses, and indeed from set pieces we can cause them problems.
    and Ayew is top notch with his shiny dome! 
  • Yes Ayew uses his desire to win the ball to make up for any lack of height. If he and Borja get the right service, they will be dangerous.

Its an intriguing encounter, I hope we play to our potential, for both halves.
  • edited August 30
    I must have missed the press conference but just caught up. I’ve included it in case anyone else missed it.

https://www.swanseacity.com/video/player/0_bytih3m8

SC with his relentless focus on us, and getting the game plan right for the match.

Come on SC and COYS
    YJB07
  • edited August 30
    As predicted the derby game with them up the road has been switched for TV to Sunday 12pm

https://www.swanseacity.com/news/south-wales-derby-chosen-live-tv-coverage

The Leeds/Wed game is also on TV, Saturday night.

Guessing because we are on the Sunday game, the option of Charlton went out the window, due to close proximity of games.
  • I will leave the formations to others with more knowledge than me but I would like to see either Yan Dhanda or George Byers included in the starting eleven.  In the first half against Birmingham last weekend I thought Dhanda was a bit unlucky not to open up their packed defence  with some of his passing.  In a more open game against Leeds I think he could do well.  If not I can see Byers being brought back in.

Mark_Jack_LondonPablo
  • @Mark_Jack_London having two matches with Sheffield Wednesday on the 22nd and 25th doesn’t seem to be a problem.

I will laugh my socks off if we keep winning after the international break and Sky don’t have any of our matches until Oct 27th.
  • True but they are also on the 18th v Cardiff. They are playing well, but 3 matches covered in 8 days even if they are in 2 competitions, is unusual.
  • Watching Cardiff tonight, 2 years ago Cardiff weren’t the best team in the league but they were the hardest team to beat solid and had goals especially from set plays. The championship was a bit powder puff.fast forward 2 years and they seem to be back where they were 2 years ago, but the championship has moved on.
    Pablo
  • Something worth thinking about at 5:00pm today ( if we win ).
    As far as I can find out , we will be top of the Championship ( old Division 2 ) for the first time ever.
    Even better, we will have two weeks to look at the table with pride.

In our two promotion years we ended up third both times and the best we achieved during each of those  seasons was second, which we did several times under Brendan.
  • edited August 31
    @ldavies555 when were we second? Apologies presumably you mean during the season rather than at the end.